Chapter Four

The Dark Galaxy

S U H O  P O V

 

May 8th 2014 approximately 7.30 AM in the morning, I had a breakfast with my family at home. That day will be EXO-K's comeback with Overdose. EXO-M had been doing so well in China since late April while we EXO-K had to postpone our comeback due to Sewol ferry tragedy. During that time, I spent most of my days at home with my family. Same goes to Kai and Sehun, both of them spend most of their time with their families. But all of us eventually sleep at our dorm since Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol didn't go back to see their families during that postponed comeback. I always bring both Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun together with me back at my house if they were bored at the dorm.

That morning I came home alone since umma asked me to come over and have breakfast together. There were abeoji and umma with me. Hyung were having his activities early this morning at his university, so he wasn't able to join the family.

"Joonmyeon-ah, eat well so that you are able to perform on stage later on." Umma said as she put down a bowl of hot chicken and pouched egg soup in front of me. Then she serves another bowl of the soup to abeoji and to herself.

Umma cooked a lot of things that morning. The main dish was the soup and bibimbap. But we also ate side dishes as well. Umma's cooking will always be the best. Sometimes, whenever I see delicious foods in front of my eyes, I started to think of Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. Both members are great in cooking.

"Ne eomeoni." I said before I started to taste the soup.

"Ah, wait a minute...Joonmyeon-ah." Abeoji said as he remembered something.

"Yes?"

"A few days earlier, I met with Kim Youngmin, your SM CEO. We coincidentally met each other at a restaurant. I was alone and at that time your CEO was calling someone. He looked stressed and seems busy. I thought that I wanted to greet him formally but after he finished his call, he immediately came to me and greeted me instead."

I looked on abeoji with a surprise look. I didn't expect that he encountered with Youngmin sunbaenim. I wondered why.

"He invited me together for a lunch since he was alone at that time. So, we talked about something and he was asking about my opinion..."

 

T H I R D  P E R S O N  P O V

"Youngmin-sshi, how are you? You seemed busy as always." Suho's father greeted formally with SM's CEO Kim Youngmin.

"Ah, sunbaenim...every day is a busy day to me. Dealing with investors, companies and attend so many meetings every week. EXO-M has been doing well in China lately and hopefully same goes to EXO-K too." Youngmin smiled to Suho's father as they both sat.

"That's a good news to hear. My son has been doing fine with the members isn't it? I hope they don't overwork themselves for the performances." Suho's father took a sip from his drink.

"Joonmyeon is doing well with everyone and even to our staffs. Just like all the other members too."

"I hope I don't mind to ask though, but I heard that SM will be having a strategic business partnership with Baidu in China? It's been awhile since Sooman had been the CEO and now you're taking over the position. Sooman called me yesterday and he told me about it."

"Sooman sunbaenim told you already? Wow...I thought I wanted to tell you first, but yeah we did have a partnership with them. So, I asked Sooman sunbaenim to attend the ceremony with EXO-M. Actually, I was suppose to be the one who's attending, but since the founder of SM is Sooman sunbaenim, so I asked him to attend instead. He deserves to attend more than I do."

"Really? Anyway, congratulations. I'm pretty sure that once this business partnership is a success, more Hallyu wave will be brought into China and make a great success there, just like how Dong Bang Shin Ki did in Japan."

"Super Junior-M alone wasn't enough. So, Sooman sunbaenim suggested if we added a new Chinese marketing group like EXO-M, it would make a greater impact. And yet, it did until now." Youngmin paused. "But Kim sunbae...I want to ask about your opinion actually.

"What is it?"

"Okay, imagine that this group has such a massive popularity all over the world. Everybody loves them and this group promised that they will perform their best for their first solo concert. Suddenly, one of the members are diagnosed with severe health problem, and he knows that their dream concert is going to be held soon. Now, considering this group's reputation are quite recognised and being respected worldwide, what should that member and the company do?"

Suho's father kept quiet for awhile and started to think "Why does Youngmin sounded like he's saying about Joonmyeon's group EXO? If I were to answer him this kind of question, I would probably say that the concert should be postponed to another date and ask the company to let the member have a rest for weeks. But this is SM Entertainment we're talking about. Since they are holding large shares within the company itself, I don't think they won't do this. Instead, they still keep the schedules on the go and the member...that particular member might having a hard time on his health condition. Which means...this member can actually do something beyond his control which will be-"

"Kim-sunbaenim, are you alright?" Youngmin asked as Suho's father was keeping quiet for such a long time. Suho's family has a very strong reputation and relationship with SM Entertainment. Most of the achievement or activities that EXO had, will be notified immediately to Suho's father. He is a respected professor at Soonchunhyang University.

"Huh?" Suho's father snapped back to reality. "Oh...yes I am. I was just thinking about what you asked."

There was a silence at that moment before Suho's father started to talk.

"I think I might have a different point of view from yours, Youngmin-sshi. But, is it possible for me to know your opinion first? Since you're the CEO, you know what's more right to do."

"Of course I would go on the schedules as planned. I mean, lots of fans are expecting this group and this group has a high reputation worldwide. And to keep that reputation, we must give this group schedules every day. This is how Kpop business are. It's not the same as the Western cultures do. I have to take care the image of the company myself." Youngmin said confidently.

Suho's father could only nod and respected his opinion since he knew if he objects a different opinion, their friendship would have been gone to waste. SM Entertainment is a company which he knows that it can do almost anything with their idols.

"You are right. It's important to take care of the image company so that every one will keep on respecting you and you will earn more profit every year." Suho's father smiled, fakingly agreeing to his opinion. "I mean, who wants to suffer such loss of profit? I don't want that to happen. So, just let the schedules be. However, don't you think that the member who suffered severe health condition will be objecting you and the staffs?"

"That's what I'm thinking right now. If I were to favour more on his condition, I would, but the company will suffer more loss and what's going to happen then? We have currently on-going tax evasion and if we favoured to the member, we will be doomed in no time. Other idols in our company will suffer from it including our staffs. So, what I can say is, do you want to protect the one which may lead to greater damage to the whole? Or do you want to protect the whole but that one will be suffering and the damage will be less burden to the whole?"

Suho's father smirked and then looked seriously at the CEO "So, what will be your plan to solve this problem?"

"The plan might be a controversial one. Although it is a dangerous approach, but the long term results are worth a shot."

"Tell me more about it. Perhaps...this is about EXO isn't it?"

 

S U H O  P O V

I dropped my spoon as I heard what abeoji explained. I was shocked and I can't believe everything that I just heard.

"Joonmyeon-ah..." Umma asked once she saw the sudden changes on my face.

"Abeoji...aniya...how can this happening?" I said as I started to form tears. I couldn't get a hold of my own self.

"Joonmyeon-ah...mianhae. I'm telling you this in advance so that you know what to do. And...if you're able to contact him, please tell him that I'm sorry." Abeoji explained as his wrinkles are getting deeper.

I kept quiet for a very long time still trying to absorb everything that abeoji had said. The responsibility now is much more heavier. I have to sort things out starting from now.

This time the history repeats itself again. This time I knew about the situation clearly after abeoji has explained in details. This is the fight between EXO and SM Entertainment.

"I need to save Kris and EXO."

 

Author's Note: So, the update is up. The next few chapters will be much more on explaination of the situation of Kris lawsuit from some sources which I have read and analysed. Remember, this is just a fiction. I clearly do not know anything from the lawsuit and the sources are just based on their critical thinking and opinions. Comments are highly appreciated and thanks for reading.