Of Key Earrings and Restrooms

Catch Me
Of Key Earrings and Restrooms

AMBER'S POV

 

(It starts with one)
One thing I don't know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind, I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
(All I know)

 

A short-haired girl stopped on her tracks, one gloved hand on the handle of her suitcase while the other felt around her pockets for her phone. Who's that short-haired girl, anyway? Well, that has to be me.

 

 

Pressing the green button, I pressed the device to my ear. "Hello?"

 

 

"Amber dear!" a loud voice said and I quickly drew the phone from my ear, wincing at the loudness before drawing it back cautiously.

 

 

"Mom, no need to be so loud, geez," I replied. Honestly, my mom can be a bit of a screamer sometimes.

 

 

"Oh, sorry," Mrs. Liu laughed. I smiled. It has only been a few minutes since I arrived in Seoul and yet I already missed my mother. But well, I have to endure this. I need to man up and . . . er, woman up and be mature!

 

 

"So, I'm guessing you've arrived, yes?" my mom continued.

 

 

"Mom, do you have some kind of voodoo powers or something? 'Cause yeah, I just arrived," I answered.

 

 

"Of course I do, I'm your mom so I have some kind of motherly instincts," her mother joked and I laughed lightly, "Anyways, have you told your sister that you've arrived? I told her to pick you up from the airport."

 

 

"Uhh, yeah, yeah," I lied. Well, half-lied. I told my older sister, who is living in Seoul, to fetch me up but since I'm feeling a bit cold, I just asked to picked up from the famous Cafe downtown. Which is where I am right now, standing outside the brightly-lit building.

 

 

From the other line, mom sighed. "That's a relief. You're still a bit weak on your Korean so I'm afraid you'll get lost around there."

 

 

"Mom! I'm a big girl now, I can take care of myself," I exclaimed. Apart from the desire to be able to study in one of the most prestigious art schools, the reason I enrolled in Shinhwa is because I wanted to show my mom that I already matured.

 

 

"Okay, okay," my mom said in defeat, "hey honey, I've got to end this call. I still have a lot of stuff to do and you know, it's another busy day for your mummy. I'll call you later, 'kay? Bye Amber, take care of yourself!"

 

 

"Bye mom," I said softly before the call ended.

 

 

I sighed before glancing around and down the busy street. Lots of people walked down the sidewalk and the shops around were starting to light up, as night began to dawn in Korea. Pretty ironic statement, I know. Another breeze began to blow and I immediately hurried up to the cafe. The sound of wind chimes and the smell of coffee greeted my senses as I stepped into the establishment. A few people were inside the pretty spacious store and I immediately felt warm. I ordered the usual cup I always order back in the US (good thing they have those even here) and proceeded to one of the tables by the windows to sit down, setting my suitcase down on the seat across me.

 

 

I proceeded to play with my phone for a while before a long-haired guy (who, by the way, creepily looks like a girl) came to my table along with my order and I began to drink it as I observed the night life in the city, but even that is not enough to divert my thoughts away. I can't really decipher the feelings inside of me. Sure, I felt nervous since it has been years since I stepped foot in Korea again, and my Korean is not as good as it was before. What's more, the students there might make another incident of mistaking me as a boy. Sure, I'm no longer bothered by those comments about me being too boyish (to the extent that I cut my hair real shot, but hey, it's better that way! No hassle!) but I'm getting sick of them, to be honest. But there's also excitement, because, honestly, who wouldn't be? I'm going to one of the most highly-acclaimed art and music schools in the country! I couldn't help but feel really lucky. You see, you have to undergo a talent test in order to be accepted to it, so it's really a big matter if you passed. And I did. Ohh, Amber Liu, you're one lucky girl.

 

 

Before I knew it, I finished my cup so I set it down on the table. Man, I would like to have some more but I don't want to drink up so much caffeine tonight, especially because tomorrow's the day, the day where I will finally step foot in the Academy I've wanted to enroll myself in since I'm a baby.

 

 

I began to play again on my phone, glancing at the door every minute. Honestly, where the heck is my sister? Don't tell me she's the one who became lost in this country; she's been living here for a couple of years!

 

 

I was reconsidering buying another cup of coffee again for myself before I stopped short. My bladder's acting up. Whew, good thing I still haven't ordered. I looked around, trying to find the restroom but man, this place is big, and only about a couple of people, excluding me, were inside the cafe. I decided to approach the guy sitting nearest to me, as I felt like my bladder would burst any minute now.

 

 

"Sillyehabnida," I asked, putting my Korean skills (or at least, what knowledge I have) into use as I approached him, "do you know where the restroom is?"

 

 

The guy glanced up at me from his phone for a moment. I noticed he had miniature key earrings on an ear and I thought it's pretty cool but I've never seen something like that before. Hm, must've been found only in South Korea. Whew, I need to look around Seoul and tour the various shops in here. The guy pressed two fingers to his temple before answering me nonchalantly. "At the back, at the left side of the painting."

 

 

"Ahh, kahmsahamnida," I replied before rushing off towards that direction. I sighed in relief as I opened the door. I shut it behind me then proceeded to walk and . . . .

 

 

"M-MWUYAH?!" I muttered, pressing myself against the door as a guy looked up as he exited a cubicle. The guy looked at me curiously before I slammed the door open and rushed to the door across it. I breathed in deeply as I saw a girl also come in behind me.

 

 

God, what just happened? What did . . . OH. I see. I'm mistaken as a guy. Again. For the freaking nth time! I buried my face in my hands as I entered a cubicle. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, these false assumptions don't bother me in the least but when this happens . . . well, you could say I'm pretty bothered. What if I entered that Boy's Restroom and I saw . . . something . . . inappropriate?

 

 

I hope that won't happen. I immediately got out of the restroom as soon as I did my business and cautiously made my way back to my table. I sighed in relief as I noticed that the guy whom I asked directions from was no longer there. Someone might need to call the police if that punk's still here. Keke, just kidding.

"YAH!"

"What the-?!" I yelled in English as a figure crashed into me, "Yah! Excuse me but . . . Jackie?!"

"It's Jackie-unnie, babo!" she exclaimed, slapping me upside the head as she stepped away from me.

"Ow!" I hissed, rubbing my head. Who would've thought that after a couple of years, she still has that kind of superhuman strenght?! Yeah, it's been years since I last saw her. YEARS. OMG! MY SISTER IS FINALLY HERE!

"UNNIE!" I exclaimed as I hugged her tightly.

"Y-yah, Amber, stop hugging me so tightly! I can't b-breathe!" she exclaimed, flapping around and I laughed before releasing her.

"Unnie! I missed you so much!" I smiled up at her and she smiled back, then we hugged each other again.

"Aigoo, I did so, too. Now come on, let's go to my apartment so you can rest well. It's a shame that you'll only be staying at my place for one night. From tomorrow onwards, you'll dorm at your school," Jackie sighed and this time, I lightly punched her arm.

"Don't lie unnie, I know you just wanted the place to yourself," I said.

As expected, she didn't deny and instead just shrugged. "You can't blame me, I like living on my own. But you're still my sister so I'm gonna miss you!"

"Aigoo, you're being dramatic now. You can visit me anytime, you know?"

"Ahh, you're right. Anyhow, let's go, you need your beauty sleep so you can wake up early tomorrow fresh and bright," Jackie smiled and went up to the table where my luggage is.

"Beauty sleep? Eew," I muttered as I followed her.

 


 

A/N: Hey guys! Haha. ShiningShawol13 here. Hope you guys like this first chapter. If you haven't guessed, the guy with the key earrings is none other than . . . . . *drumroll* . . . . the clue there are the earrings. So yeah, she already met Key. WOOOT! Kekeke.

This wouldn't just be centered on KeyBer, but also Taelli, Ontoria, Jongna and Minstal. 

Stay tuned. :)