Chapter Four

멈춰 있던 나를 깨워줘 | Waking up would stop me

Miss Lee had to admit, all the kids had something she would find in their personalities that would push her off the edge; Woohyun never stopped pulling pranks and causing trouble, Taejun wouldn't stop asking questions and giving more questions to any answer he was given, and Yoon Ae would never stop clinging to her or Hye Jin.

And Hye Jin... she was quiet, too quiet, quiet enough to scare the other kids away. And she, without speaking words, shared the same level of curiosity of little Taejun. Whenever a question was asked, Hye Jin listened carefully, to the point where it looked like she was actually digesting the information.

Hye Jin isn't a child she could ever forget. As the days passed, the fear of losing her scared into her confusion. She had no clue why she would feel that way, but she did. Maybe it was because she saw herself in the girl; she lost her parents at a young age, and she can remember each and every detail.

That was it. Miss Lee could remember everything, Hye Jin could not. The least she can do for the young girl, is find her a family. Because there was the possibility Hye Jin could never remember, so she made it her mission to find her a good family to make beautiful memories with.

 

 

Woohyun casually walked through the adoption home's office area, an area the home's children were usually not allowed to set foot in, boredly waiting to hear something. He wanted to be one of the first ones to know about anyone's adoption.

Actually, he was hoping someone would be willing to adopt him. He was growing tired of the adoption home, and even if he was close to being old enough to be on his own, he'd rather be adopted at 18 than 18 and completely alone in the world; he wanted a crazy little brother he could pick on, and strict parents to argue with; argue a typical argument on how he's acting up, not like with his old parents who argued over everything and anything. He could remember the pain and suffering he endured every night, and the bruises he'd wake up to. The bruises that separated him from his parents, not that he regret it that much. He was lonely, but not enough to be back with them, he wanted a 'right' family.

"I want a daughter," Woohyun's ears perked, he might not be adopted today, but still, the gossip was always who was going to be adopted and to which family; in an office, it'd be who would be getting a promotion, that's how important getting adopted meant for everyone.

"We have quite the variety of girls in ages," He could hear Miss Lee's smile, "We have toddlers to teenagers, all great girls."

"I don't think I could handle going through the emotions of raising a small kid again," The man had a nice laugh, Woohyun noted.

Woohyun held out four fingers and whispered to himself, "There are four girls at his ideal age..."

"I have a girl in mind," Miss Lee's chair rolled from her desk as she went through a filing cabinet, pulling out a folder, "She's been here for two months. You will absolutely love her."

"Hye Jin!" Woohyun said a bit too loud, slapping his hand over his mouth he responded to the mildly unamused Miss Lee, "Yes, Miss Lee~?"

"Haven't I told you not to be here?" Miss Lee scolded, "Aigoo1, causing so much trouble! Oh well, go fetch Hye Jin, I'd like this man to meet her."

Woohyun saluted, much the the stranger's amusement, and nodded, "Yes ma'am! I'll be quick!"

"He's such a great boy too," Woohyun could sense Miss Lee's sarcasm as he ran out the door, "Why not take him with you?"

Woohyun grinned thinking about the desperate expression she was probably giving the man, and he huffed, bringing his chest up, proud to be the head's favorite and best troublemaker.

 

 

엔드 | Waking up would stop me

N1 -  아이고/아이구 (aigo/aigoo) is a Korean expression that signifies one's surprise; i.e. "Oh my (god)!"