Unlikely Heroes

The Prince's Bride

            “No!  That can’t be right Auntie.  Yunho can’t be dead,” Henry yelled.

            “You’re getting very into this story.  With you sick I think I should stop,” Heechul said as he closed the book.  He began to stand as Henry held a hand out.

            “No, I’m fine.  Please continue,” Henry politely requested as he looked down at his hands that were clasped together.

            Heechul sat down.  “Alright.  Now where was I?  Oh yes the wail of anguish, and reintroducing Joongki and Jongkook.”

*YUNJAE*

            Back to when the brute squad emptied the thieves’ forest.  Pure chaos ran rampant.  Joongki sat on the ground in front of his hut.  He had just given one of the squad man trouble.  He wouldn’t leave to be rounded up like the other thieves.  The same squad man was coming back to try and deal with him.  Before he drew his blade the squad man was knocked unconscious by Jongkook.  He was reunited with his comrade yet again.  He no longer felt like a failure, and for that he couldn’t stop the silent tears of gratitude rolling down his face.

            The two embraced as only comrades could.  Jongkook told the avenger of finding the slightly scarred man, Count Kyuhyun, and the increased guard.  He took it better than the other expected.

            “We need the man in black.  We have my steel, your brawn, and now we need his brains,” he told his muscular friend.

            “You’re right.  He’s the only one who could get through 30 guardsmen into the castle for you to get your revenge,” Jongkook agreed.

*YUNJAE*

            The two comrades searched far and wide.  When they were about to give up they heard something.  It was a wail of anguish.  A scream heard throughout the kingdom of Florin.

            “Did you hear that Jongkook?  That was the man in black,” exclaimed the excited swordsman.

            “How do you know?  Are you sure?” Kook asked.

            “I know because my soul made that sound the day Count Kyuhyun killed my father.  The man in black makes it now because his true love is to marry another tonight.”

            The comrades were off in an instant.  It was rather hard to get through the crowds of people.  Fortunately after Jongkook yelled for them to move the crowd parted like Moses was parting the Red Sea.  They quickly made their way to where the scream originated.

            They found themselves in a forested area where they thought the cries came from.  Only nothing was there.  It was at that moment they heard whistling.  The whistling came from a short man pushing a wheel barrow, Haha.

            “Where is the man in black?” Joongki questioned him.

            “I-I don’t know w-what you’re talking a-a-about,” stuttered Haha.

            “Kookie jog his memory.”  Jongkook hit the shorter man a little too hard and knocked him unconscious.  He could only shrug his shoulders at Joongki.

            The maknae drew out his sword, pointed it towards the sky, and closed his eyes.  He pleaded, “Father, please guide my sword.  There is a man that can help me to avenge your death.  I ask you to guide me to him.”  After the words were spoken the sword glowed and as if possessed led him to a tree, then returned to normal.  Neither could believe their eyes.  Joongki sighed in despair and leaned on a knob of the tree.  Suddenly a secret door opened.  The comrades looked at each other and entered the tree.  After walking down the stairs they found a room, empty except for a body.

            “He’s dead,” Jongkook said.

            Joongki thought it over.  “I never give up easily.  Pick him up and carry him.  Do you have any money?”

            “Only 65 coins.”

            “I just hope it’s enough to buy a miracle,” Joongki told him.

*YUNJAE*

            They find themselves in front of a hut.  Joongki knocks on the door and Jongkook stands beside him holding Yunho.  A peephole opens and a man looks out.  “Who are you and what do you want?”

            “Are you Miracle Gary?” asks Jongkook.

            “Yeah, what of it?” asks the suspicious Gary.

            Wasting no time Joongki tells him “We need you to fix our friend.”

            “Why would you want to hire someone the kings stinking son fired?  I might kill whoever you need me to fix,” Gary told them.

            “But he is already dead,” said Jongkook.

            Looking at the body Gary nods his head.  “Bring him in.”  They do as they’re told.  “Now lay him on the table.  There is only one thing you can do with a dead man.”

            “What is that?”

            “Dig around in his pockets and look for loose change,” said Gary laughing at his own joke.  The other two just shared a look.

            “Please sir,” Jongkook stated “we need you to help him.  His wife is crippled.  His children are starving.”

            Gary cuts him off.  “Well aren’t you a rotten liar,” sounding quite unimpressed.

            Joongki gets to the point.  “Look I need him to help me avenge my father and kill the count.”

            “I liked the other story better.  Well he probably owes you money,” Gary said as he got an air compressor thing the helps enlarge fires when both side are pushed together.  “Well you’re lucky that I can help you.”

            “But he’s dead,” Jongkook pointed out the obvious.

            “No, he’s only mostly dead.  Which means he’s slightly alive.”  He then put the device into Yunho’s mouth and pumped air into him.  “What’s so important that you’ve got worth living for?”  he asked as he pushed the air from Yunho’s chest.

            “T-t-true L-ove,” the body shakily replied.

            “True love!  You hear him?  He said true love.  What is a more noble cause than that?”

            “True love is very noble indeed, but that isn’t what he said.  He said ‘to blave’.  Which we all know means is to bluff.  So he probably cheated you out of some money in poker and now-“.

            A woman appeared out of nowhere and shouted, “He said true love Gary.  You heard him.”

            “Don’t pester me witch!” Gary shouted.

            “I’m not a witch I’m your wife!  But after what you just said I’m not sure I even want to be that any more.  You heard him, he said true love.  Don’t listen to any of his excuses.  Since Prince Changmin fired him his confidence has been shot,” his wife explained to the two.

            “Jihyo!  You promised you would never say that name again.”

            “What? Prince Changmin.”

            “YAH!”

            “Prince Changmin.  Prince Changmin.  Prince Changmin.  Prince Changm-” she taunted as she chased her husband around the kitchen.  Until Jongkook interrupted.

            “If you heal him Prince Changmin will suffer.”

            “Wha?” asked the confused couple.

            “This is Jaejoong’s true love.  If you heal him he will stop the wedding,” Joongki told them.

            “So if I heal him Prince Changmin will suffer?” clarified Gary

            “Humiliation galore.”

            “Give me the 65,” said Gary as he put on a hat.  “I’m on the job!”  Gary and Jihyo then made a pill the size of a walnut that would bring Yunho back to full life.  As Jihyo was painting it with chocolate sauce Joongki asked them a question.

            “That’s a miracle pill?”

            “Chocolate coating makes it go down easier,” replied Jihyo.

            “Wait 15 minutes for full potency to take effect,” Gary told them as he gave them the Miracle Pill that had been placed in a small bag.

            “Thank you!” both shouted as they ran off towards the castle with Yunho’s body and the pill in tow.

            “You think it will work? That they will win?” Jihyo quietly asked her husband as they waved their customers off.

            Gary with his arm around his wife whispered to her “It would take a miracle.”