Untitled

Monday Couple - One Shot(s)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

‘I promise I’ll not cry over little things. I’m stronger than you think.’

 

[1992]

“Hee Gun-ah! Hee Gun! Open this door!” said the drunken man while banging hard on the door. Slowly, a seven year old boy who just lost his parents in an accident a few months ago, woke up from his sleep. It was 2.00 in the morning sharp. He went to the door. He knew it was his Uncle who was responsible to look after him. Soon he reached the ground floor, he switched on the lights and went to the door and opened it.

            “Why did you take such a long time to open this door? Are you deaf? I called your name so many times! Such an ungrateful kid!” said the Uncle and hit Hee Gun as he always did whenever he was back in drunken state. Even he knew about this fact, he tried to stay strong as he received all the beats from his Uncle.

“I’m sorry uncle. I fell asleep while waiting for you. I’m sorry, it’s my fault.” Hee Gun kept pleaded to his Uncle in hope that he would stop beating him anymore.

 

 

***

“Oh my, Hee Gun! Look at your bruises! I bet you were fighting last night, right?” Hee Gun’s teacher looked very surprised about his condition. “This is the problem when a kid doesn’t have parents. They become wild!” she continues, this time with a lower voice.

“You go back to your class and I’ll try to discuss with the principal. I’ll tell you the result later.”

Before the school day ended, the teacher came and met with Hee Gun. “Hee Gun, come here for awhile. I would like to talk about something.” the teacher called him. “After discussed with the principal, both of us decided to send you to Queen Street Children Home. There’ll be someone who can look after you, at least. Think about it.” the teacher continued before she departed from him.

 

 

***

 

 

 

[Present]

 

            “We already told you to pay it last week!” the muscular man in black leather jacket said while he grabbed Kwang Soo’s collar. The man threw Kwang Soo onto the floor and his right-handman picked him up and threw a punch or two or maybe more so that some blood stains were on his face.

Kwang Soo – the Japanese-Korean, 27 years old, still looking for a job.

            “Stop!” a man named Dong Hoon suddenly showed up at the mini abandoned factory’s door. “I’ll pay for him this time. Let him go!” Dong Hoon shouted while slowly getting closer to them. “Here. The money.” he put a bag on a table full of dollars.

Dong Hoon – the German-Korean, 29 years old, runs a Middle East Restaurant, funny and easy-going person.

The man asked his right-handman to check the amount of money in the bag. After he checked and counted it, the man let them go with a threat for a reminder. “You’ll be in the same situation again for the next time when your friends don’t have that much money! Remember that! Hahahaha.” They ended it with evil laugh.

 

 

***

“Told you already, right? Why did you still borrow from them? What’s the meaning of us to you?” Dong Hoon is quite disappointed with Kwang Soo’s attitude. Even, after they had been together for more than 20 years.

“Ugh. I need money! Don’t you get it?” Kwang Soo suddenly get irritated.

While they were busy fighting and blaming each other, a woman entered Dong Hoon’s restaurant. “Finally! I’m craving Middle East food like crazy!” the woman squeaked happily.

“We’ll continue this later.” said Dong Hoon and went to the woman. “I’m sorry miss but.. As you can see, it’s already 11.00 p.m. We already closed. Maybe you can come again tomorrow.” a smile plastered on his face.

“Oh, really? I just ried push your door and it didn’t lock the door. That’s why I'm here.”

“We’re actually waiting for our friends. You know, having some drinks. Something like that..”

“But I’m really craving some Asian food right now! It’d been a week since I have arrived. I studied at one of the Middle East countries. So, I hope you can understand me. Please, just for this time.” the woman kept pleading until Dong Hoon finally surrendered.

“Okay, then. I’ll go look at what we still have in the kitchen. Well, my workers already left.”

“Thanks. Anything is fine.”

About ten minutes passed, Dong Hoon returned with a bowl of rice, stuffed vegetable, some side dishes and a cup of Turkish coffee. “I’m sorry again, miss. These all I can serve for you.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I know we are strangers but, if you don’t mind, what’s wrong with your friend? He looks stressed about something. Maybe I can help you with anything.”

“Hmm… Well, it’s about money. Enjoy your dinner. Excuse me.” he answered her shortly. 

Soon Dong Hoon sat where Kwang Soo was, their friends finally arrived. He stood up once again and brought them to the corner of the restaurant. “Hey, I thought you already closed the restaurant.” said the muscular man named Jong Kook.

Jong Kook – American-Korean, 32 years old, works as trainer at a gym.

 

“So, what’s actually happened here? I still had load of work. Dateline is near.” the one who named Hee Gun works as author said in worried. ‘Why that girl looks so familiar? My ex? ... Nah, never mind.’ he thought after saw Dong Hoon's customer.

Hee Gun – Korean, 30 years old, an author

 

 

“Well, I’d already put the ‘CLOSE’ sign as you can see. That woman abruptly entered and said she’s craving Middle East food. And yeah, customers always right.” Dong Hoon replied for Jong Kook. “Here this kid! Not sure when he will grow up. The loan shark again!” this time he replied to Hee Gun’s question.

While all of them were busy giving advice to the youngest who already was like their own blood, the girl stood up and went to counter. Dong Hoon quickly stood up and went to the counter too. “As it's already a late night, it’s all $25, Miss.” Dong Hoon was totally bewildered when the girl put five notes of $50. “I’m sorry but did you mishear me or something? It’s only $25, Miss.”

“No. No. I did not misheard you but I love to help those in hardship. So, no need to worry. Or, maybe you can just accept it’s something like tips. Here is my card. I’m a psychologist at the nearest hospital.”

“Seriously, I don’t know what else to say. Thanks so much Ms. Ji Hyo. God bless you.”

“Hey, I think we hit some luck tonight. You little punk should be thankful to the girl just now.” said Dong Hoon to Kwang Soo after Ji Hyo went out from the restaurant.

“What happened?” asked Hee Gun.

“She gave me five notes of $50 when it only cost $25. She said it’s tips for serving so late at night.”

 

 

***

A few days after the incident, Dong Hoon decided to call Ji Hyo. He made the choice after he thought about all the good and bad risks that he needed to face.

After five seconds or more, the call was finally picked up on the other side. “Hello. May I help you sir... madam?” the girl suggested prudently and tranquilly waited for his answer. Eventhough he already reached her; he still had doubts left in his mind about his problems.

“Hello. Are you still there? Who is this? If you called me to pull my leg, I will hang up.” the girl sounded a bit furious.

“No, wait! Ms Ji Hyo, it's me.” Dong Hoon finally spoke his words.

“Me? Who are you? But, you sound familiar though.” Ji Hyo continued.

“Sorry. I'm Dong Hoon. You know, that Mid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter