Coffee, You and Me

Monday Couple - One Shot(s)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Characteristics of My Husband To Be

1. Older than me ( not more than 3 years )

2. Had some property of his own ( or how we gonna lead our life )

3. Good looking ( enough for in my eyes )

4. Warm heart / Caring / Understanding

5. Punctual

 

 

It was my first day at my workplace. I was so excited as I heard that my colleagues are seven men and a woman during my interview. There were so many of them, of us, as it was the largest branch so far. 'You are not young anymore.' and 'Look, even your cousin already had their second or third child.' were the words that always came out from my mother's or my busybody aunt's mouth whenever I go visit them. Well, I hope one of them would be my husband or whatsoever.

 

I don't think I am that old. I am just twenty seven this year. So what's the problem ? I still need to reach my ambitions first. And there was many things which I would like to try before I 'tie up' with a man. But after I'm doing some research, men would be little scared to marry a successful woman. I don't know~ Maybe I should just go to my workplace and just do my work.

 

After 20 minutes journey from my house, I finally arrived at my new workplace. The big signboard with word 'CoffeeSmith' was hang up there. I smiled after saw it. It was one of my favorite cafe. I slowly entered the cafe. The small bell that hang on the door frame rang after I push the door. The smell of brewed coffee ran through my nostril and made me felt thrilled. ' Oh gosh ! I definitely can live with this smell for everyday. ' 

 

" Hey ! What are you doing there ? We are going to open the café soon ! Hurry, go change into your uniform and come learn a thing or two before start your work today. " I still remembered it clearly now. The eldest worker with square spectacle called me out when I am still in my own world with the smell of brewed coffee. I quickly bowed 90 degree and introduced myself.

 

After briefly introduced myself, I walked to the workers' room at the back of cafe. Well, I don't think he will be in `my husband to be` list. He was too old for me. ' I need to remember him clearly now. He is Ji Suk Jin. The eldest and had work the longest here. ' 

 

" Oh, are you the new worker ? " There was a girl who suddenly greet me soon I stepped into woman's room. I gave her a nod and awkwardly smiled. " Glad to meet you ! I am so lonely to be the only woman barista here even they are talkative type. And actually, I am the one who beg for them to had an interview with condition of woman only. Anyway, I am Lizzy. Nice to meet you. "

 

I stopped from changed into my uniform and accepted her handshake. " Nice to meet you too. I am Song Ji Hyo. You can call me Ji Hyo. Please look after me and correct me if I am wrong. " We exchanged a little bit of our life information and back to change into our uniform. After I was done, I slowly moved towards in front of mirror. ' Oh my ! Finally. The uniform which I want to wear the most. The white shirt with collar, the skinny black slacks and... the brown apron. ' 

 

" Hey girls, hurry up. It's already 6.00 a.m. Office workers and students will come soon. " There was someone knocked on our door after we were done with changing. Lizzy smiled to me and we walked out together. She brought me to the front of cafe. There were many workers than before. I counted them one by one. There were six of them. ' Oh, most of them are here now ! What should I do ? ' I suddenly became nervous with their presence. 

 

" Guys ! Guys, attention ! " said Lizzy while clapped her hands to get their attention. All of them finally turned to our direction and start to come closer. " She is the new worker from now on. Manager called me yesterday and said she is full time worker. Please treat her well. And one more thing, she is my unnie now ! So if she complaint to me anything about you, you sure gonna pay for it. " said Lizzy and warned them too. However, they did not seemed like care for her warn. I stood still until Lizzy poked my waist with her elbow. I gave her strange look while she kept point at those men with her lips. " Introduce yourself. " she chuckled saw my reaction. 

 

" Oh, ah, introduce myself. Ahh.. Hmm.. I am Song Ji Hyo. You can call me Ji Hyo. Please take care of me. " I introduced myself awkwardly and bowed to them awkwardly. Now, all of them already chuckled with my reaction and started moved back to their own work. It was kinda rude though but I think it was better to have Lizzy to introduce themselves.

 

She started to introduce them one by one. " That one who wiping the windows with spectacle is Jae Suk oppa. He is the second eldest after Suk Jin oppa. Have you meet Suk Jin oppa ? " I nodded my head slowly. " They are in charge of those cakes. And the tall one is Kwang Soo oppa. The one who wiping the table over there, the muscular one is Jong Kook oppa. And the short one who bring the chairs is Dong Hoon oppa. But most of all call him HaHa. Three of them are in charge of cook in the kitchen. And... the one who stand at the counter over there  is Joong Ki oppa. He is the most handsome one here and most of our girls customer come here just to see him. However, he is mine now. " she smiled shyly while I mouthed a congrats. " And the last one is... Gary oppa. Hmm.. Where is him ? " ask Lizzy while looking around café. I followed her gaze. " Oppa, Jong Kook oppa, have you seen Gary oppa ? Did he said he will come late too today ? " Just when the one with the name Jong Kook want to open his mouth, there was a man in rush run into the cafe.

 

" I am here. I am here. Stuck in traffic. " He almost went to the workers' room but immediately stopped after realized my presence. " Annyeong~ Oi Lizzy ah, nugu ? " ask the one with the name Gary while look at me from top to toe. I also secretly look at him when he talked with Lizzy. ' Not this one.. Is not the punctual type person.. Reject ! '

 

" Oh, Gary oppa, this is the new worker. She will work at that counter. " All of our eyes followed her finger. It was the counter where the customers have their order. " That's right oppa ! He will work with you. And with the one hour or more left, you need to teach her a thing or two before we open the cafe for today. This is our manager's order, oppa. " continued Lizzy and leave both of us dumbfounded while she went to counter where Joong Ki was. I can sense that this guy called Gary was not easy with my presence as I knew from Lizzy that he loves to work alone at that counter.

 

After he changed into his uniform, he coldly called out my name to follow him. " Oi, the new worker ! Want to work or not if you keep spacing out like that ?! " Well, not really my  name. ' Again.. Not a warm heart person.. Totally reject ! '

 

He brought me to behind of counter and start to ask me some questions. " Did you know how to differentiate all of this coffee ? " I slowly nodded my head. Excuse me, I am a coffee lover okay you man ! I start to name them after taste them one by one. " This is espresso, mocha, cappuccino, americano, espresso macchiato, caramel macchiato etc etc. " He seemed surprised with my knowledge. Then, by hook or by crook, he still teach me how to do the espresso art or latte art. That was my first time try it but I managed to do the simple leave shape though.

 

 

***

It had been two weeks since I  work at the CoffeeSmith. There was something happened that night. Something that made me and him being more far apart than before. After the cafe closed, most of us start to go home. Except for me and him. Kang Gary. He asked me to stay so I can learn more and latest latte art from him. I followed his order without any argue even I am already tired. After all of them went home and lost from our sight, we started the lesson. He start with brew some coffees and steam the milk.

 

While waiting for milk to reach the right temperature, he start to give me some tips. " You can use thermometer to get the most accurate temperature. However, I don't think we can use the thermometer every time we steam the milk. Instead of using thermometer, you can keep two fingers at the bottom of the pitcher. When you could not hold your fingers there without burning them, its usually between 120 and 125 degrees. " I just nodded my head lazily. I am too sleepy at the moment. It was like bedtime story for me. " Are you listening or not ?! " he suddenly stomping the table made my eyes became widened again.

 

" Nae.. I hear it. Of course I am listening to you, Gary oppa. " I hurriedly answered him. " Sunbae. Who told you that you can call me oppa ? " I nodded my head slowly and mumbled out the word " That's right.. Sunbae.. " softly. My heart was burning at that moment after I saw his smirk that supposedly to be the secret one. ' What's wrong with this man ? Everyone was okay with me call them oppa. Was he playing around with me now ? Fine ! Then, I will show you how to play the game. '

 

" Yah, Mong Ji ! Are you daydreaming again ? Can you stop it ? I think this cafe will corrupt cause of you. " Silent. I didn't answered him. He called my name again. " Yah, Mong Ji. Mong Ji Hyo. " I still kept silent and then turned my head towards the steam milk. He called me again. " Oi. Mong Ji ! I am here. Can't you see me ? Aish this woman ! " This time with waved his hands in front of me. He slowly getting frustrated. ' Serve you right ! Do you think you are so good ? ' I let out a small sighed and then turn to him with widened eyes. He seemed shocked as he step backwards for a few steps. " Who is Mong Ji ? Who is Mong Ji Hyo ? I don't know both of them. And even the other baristas called me with that name here, who told you that you can call me with that name ? " I stomped my feet and went to take my bags in the workers' room and head out. " I want to go home. I will learn it from you later. And don't worry ! I will take the bus. " 

 

I leave the cafe quickly after hear him shouted from inside, " Who cares with what transport you will take to go home ? Do you think I care about you ?! " I fastened my steps toward bus stop. I hate him. I hate his ways. I hate how he treated me. I hate what happened tonight. I try to be more close with him. But it somehow drift us apart. While walk to the bus stop, my head keep reminds me the time when the times he taught me the latte art. He was cold person all the times but I think he became more cold now. The question is, ' Why ? '

 

Then, my mind also replay the times when he showed his warmth side that I rarely can see. The day when it was rain heavily and I didn't bring my umbrella. He treat me a coffee. Caramel Macchiato made by his own hands. It was so nice. I think it was a good thing too as I always had my Americano. He said that he love the thick taste of coffee blend nicely with the sweetness of the caramel. I try to remember as hard as possible the times when he being nice with me. Nope. That was the first and the last. I sat down slowly at bust stop while waiting for bus.

 

I board the bus and had the last row seat. Soon the bus start to move, it rained drizzly. Suddenly, my heart felt heavier with every drip of rain that knocked the window. I don't feel like myself. It was cold outside and hot inside of my body. I touched my forehead with my right hand. 'Aish ! I had fever. It must be due to rainy day yesterday. ' I put my hand down and stared at it for quite a while. I still can feel the warmth from his hand when he want to show me how to do the latte art. ' You should move your wrist, not your hand. Are you sure you had experience before ? ' I pouted by his question unconsciously. He chuckled with my behavior. It was nice to hear his chuckled but that was the only one. No more after that.

 

After I reached at my house, I called Lizzy. " Lizzy ah. It's me, Ji Hyo unnie. Hmm.. I think I will not going to work for tomorrow. I had fever. " Silent. " No. It's not serious but I still need some leave though. Maybe only for a day or two. Thanks Lizzy ah. "

 

Next day in morning, my fever was getting better. So after I had done with breakfast I sat at my desk. As I was too bored, I took a paper and list all of the men workers. ' Suk Jin oppa and Jae Suk oppa.. Hmm.. Maybe not. They are too old for me. ' I made a straight line on their name. ' Jong Kook oppa, HaHa oppa and Joong Ki.. They already had a girlfriend ! Who more left ? Gary Sunbae and Kwang Soo.. Kwang Soo was to young for me.. Oh my ! Definitely not this Sunbae ! Never ! ' I lined his name for a few times until it can't be seen. I must be crazy on that day for made all that stupid list and I don't think I can get marry that year like I planned.

 

 

***

I ended up took a leave for two days. My fever was quite serious though. I slowly pushed the door. ' Ah.. The smell that I miss so much ! '

 

" I thought you already quit. Go and change into your uniform. I want to teach you the latest latte art that I learned. " There was a man greeted me from my back. It was him, Kang Gary Sunbae. I quite shocked at the moment. I just glared at him when my mind suddenly replay the time of that night. ' Then, what's wrong if I quit ? It's good for you though as you can have the counter all for yourself ! And.. Why everyone keep told me to change into my uniform soon I enter the cafe ? Did they think I am a little kid ? ' I slightly stomped my feet and moved towards the room.

 

" Oh, unnie ! Are you okay ? How's your fever ? " greeted Lizzy with a worry face. " Oh. Ah.. I am better now. It was not hot as before. " I slightly smiled to her before went to my locker. And the next thing made me kinda surprised. She suddenly came to me and put her back of hand on my forehead. I was touched by her act. Maybe others will think it was nothing. But for me it was a thing. I had live alone since I ended my high school. This was the first time someone look after me since I live alone. No, since the oppa that I love so much leave me.

 

I held her hand and moved it aside gently. " Don't worry, Lizzy ah.. It was nothing. I already ate my medicine and I am getting better now. That's why I am here today. "

 

" Hehehe.. Glad to hear that you are okay now.. I was really worry this t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter