Game

Begin Again

"Eunji, sweetie?" Miyoung knocked on the bathroom door, "Are you ready?"

"Not yet, unnie! Please wait for me," Eunji called out from the inside. The two were already preparing themselves for the alumni homecoming event, which will start within an hour. Miyoung went to prepare her make-up kit, "Honey, faster! I still have to do your make-up."

Eunji quickly went out from the bathroom, wearing the dress she bought, "Miyoung unnie, I don't know if this suits me," Eunji had a worried look on her face, looking at herself on the mirror, wearing a black halter dress. Miyoung smiled as she approached her sister to fix her dress, "Aww, Eunji, sweetie, you look lovely! Now, let me just do your make-up and I bet you'll be making heads turn tonight."

Eunji let out a shy smile, as Miyoung pulled her towards the dresser and gave her a seat.

"Um, unnie, I don't think I'll need this," Eunji turned to look at Miyoung. She was referring to the cosmetics her sister will put on her face.

"Eunji, honey, it wouldn't hurt if a woman wears make-up from time to time. I know you're already pretty, just like me," Miyoung smiled, "But there are some occasions that need us to look more beautiful."

Eunji sighed; she knew she can't win against her sister in arguments like this, "Miyoung unnie, just make it light."

Miyoung pinched Eunji's cheeks, "Of course, my dear."

 

-

It was a bustling view inside the hotel's event grounds. The attendees of the homecoming event were walking to and fro, chatting, drinking, and eating before the formal program starts. Soonkyu was one of them, walking around to greet her old schoolmates, dragging Baekhyun with her.

"Ah, Soonkyu!" a woman greeted. Soonkyu quickly approached her, "Dana? Omo, is that you? You look beautiful!"

"You too," Dana smiled, "How are you? What have you been up to? I remember, when we were still students, you enjoyed Arts so much."

Soonkyu nodded, "Yeah, I have my own boutique now. How about you?"

Baekhyun sighed as he listened to the two's conversation. Since he didn't know the people in that event, he was bored. Baekhyun looked around to see if there are some familiar faces around. On the other side, he saw his dad, talking to Jeguk Academy's school director. President Byun looked like he was enjoying the event too.

"Tch. Where is that Eunji?" Baekhyun thought to himself.

"By the way, where's Miyoung?" Dana asked Soonkyu, but even before Soonkyu could answer, Miyoung arrived, together with Eunji.

"Hey guys!" she greeted, before giving Soonkyu and Dan a kiss on their cheeks, "Hello lovely ladies."

"How are you, Miyoung?" Dana smiled, and that started another conversation among them. Eunji stood behind Miyoung, looking around and watching the others occupy themselves with their own businesses. Baekhyun approached her.

"Yo."

"Um, hi," Eunji greeted back, as she took a step farther from him.

Baekhyun looked at her from head to toe, before giving her a smirk, "So that's the dress you've been hiding from me, eh?"

Eunji creased her forehead, "So what?"

Baekhyun's smirk turned into a warm smile, "You look stunning."

Eunji felt her heart skip a beat. She felt like Baekhyun was saying those words truthfully. She averted her eyes, trying to avoid his look. Just in time, she felt Miyoung tap her shoulder, "This is my sister, Eunji," she heard Miyoung introduce her to Dana.

"Hello," Eunji bowed. Dana responded with a smile, "You really look like a younger version of Miyoung. How cute!" Dana then shifted her eyes from Eunji towards Baekhyun, who was behind Soonkyu, "Well, how about that young man over there? Whose companion is he?"

Soonkyu turned to look at Baekhyun, "He's my step-brother, Baekhyun. Remember those times when you'd come over our house every vacation? He's that kid who would always run around the house carrying jars of insects."

Dana's eyes widened, "Ah, I remember him! Baekhyun..."

Baekhyun lowered his head, after Soonyu narrated about his childhood. Meanwhile, Eunji tried her best not to laugh.

"He runs this hotel now," Soonkyu added, "Far from that playful kid who made friends with cockroaches, spiders, and other creepy crawlies."

Dana nodded in amusement, "That's wonderf--"

"Hello there!"

Dana was interrupted by a man's voice who spoke behind her. She, Miyoung, Soonkyu, Eunji and Baekhyun turned to look at where that voice came from.

"Taecyeon!" Soonkyu greeted as the man approached them, "How are you?"

"Hey, danshin," Taecyeon, another one of their old classmates, patted Soonkyu's head, "What happened to your height?"

Baekhyun smirked. Soonkyu scowled, "Shut up."

"Woah, woah, calm down," Taecyeon laughed, "Did you miss me?"

Miyoung smiled as she watched Taecyeon talk. Taecyeon was one of Nichkhun's closest friends. And she knew that if Taecyeon came to that event, Nichkhun will, too.

"By the way, where's Nichkhun?" Dana popped the question Miyoung has been waiting to hear.

"Ah, I don't know about that guy," Taecyeon sighed, "The last time I heard about him was a year after our graduation. He was inviting me to his wedding."

Miyoung felt her heart stop as she heard those words, "What wedding?" she thought to herself.

"What wedding?" Soonkyu asked.

"I don't know," Taecyeon shook his head, "He just gave me a call that day, asking me if I could be his best man for his wedding. I thought it was only a joke, but he sounded serious. I said yes, and waited for an invitation to come, but it didn't. Since then, I haven't heard anything about him."

Soonkyu turned to look at Miyoung, who looked dumbfounded with what she heard. Miyoung thought that she could see Nichkhun in that event, but her hopes of seeing him started to decrease.

 

Baekhyun listened to everything, until he felt his phone vibrate from his pocket. It was a message from Victoria.

Sir, you are needed at the employees' office.

Baekhyun quickly left after seeing the message, thinking that something went wrong. Eunji creased her forehead as she watched Baekhyun, "Where is he going?" But as seconds passed, she heard her phone ring inside the small bag she was carrying.

It was a message from another unknown number.

Hello, Eunji. Remember me? I have tried many times to get you, but heaven would always work wonders to save you. Let's change some things. I bet you don't want me to harm your sister this time. Let's play a little game, shall we?

Eunji looked around the place with a nervous look on her face. She felt her heart beat faster, and even though she was hesitating at first, she still replied to the message.

Who are you? How did you know my name?

Eunji stared at her phone, waiting for a reply. Seconds passed, and she received another message.

I'll accept that as a yes. :) Let's begin our hide-and-seek, little Jung. You should play this alone, without asking for anyone's help, or else... you wouldn't like the consequences...

Eunji gulped as she continued reading the message; she was not liking how it goes.

I'll start now. And you have 10 minutes to look for the breakfast staple I want. Send me a message once you find it. I'll be watching you closely, Jung Eunji. I'll know if you're done. Your 10 minutes starts now. Look for it, quickly, or else he'll go down the frying pan.

"What is this?" Eunji whispered to herself, as she felt sweat drop from her forehead, "Breakfast staple? What the--"

Eunji quickly ran to the food counter to look for a breakfast food, but there was none. She quickly approached a waiter who stood near the table.

"Excuse me, sir, I'm looking for a breakfast meal," she asked nervously. The waiter smiled with her question, "Um, I'm sorry ma'am, but we don't serve breakfast meals. It's time for dinner."

"Eggs? Eggs? Do you have eggs?" Eunji asked, "That will do!"

The waiter creased his forehead, "May I ask for what it is?"

"Please, just give me the eggs!" Eunji exclaimed in frustration. Though she was doubting the authenticity of the message, she didn't want something bad to happen in the event. The waiter was surprised with her sudden reaction, "Um, okay, ma'am, please follow me."

Eunji and the waiter went inside the kitchen, which was full of busy cooks and chefs. The whole room was a mess.

"Please wait here while I look for the eggs," the waiter smiled as he disappeared from the crowd of cooks inside the kitchen.

Eunji bit her lip in anxiousness. She glanced at her phone, and saw that eight minutes have passed, "Please, Mr. Waiter, faster," she thought to herself. Just in time, the waiter arrived, holding a tray of eggs.

"Miss, here are the eggs," the waiter called out. Eunji quickly took it from him, bowed, and ran outside, back to the event grounds. She quickly sent a message to the unknown number that texted her a while ago.

I have your breakfast. Tell me who you are!

Eunji looked around as she waited for a response. Seconds passed, and she received a message.

Nah, I don't eat eggs. I'm allergic to poultry products. You still have a minute to try again. Try reading my message again. ;)

Eunji let out a deep sigh, as she quickly opened the past messages she received. She swiftly read the messages as she roamed around the room.

"Breakfast staple? Eggs are breakfast staples!..." Eunji's eyes widened as she continued reading.

"Frying pan? A breakfast staple that is fried? Eggs can be fried..."

"He'll go down the frying pan."

Eunji was startled.

"It's not food, it's a person."

Her eyes widened as she continued reading the message.

"Breakfast... Fried... But a person?"

She gulped.

"Bacon."

"Baekhyun."

___