Nice to meet you

My Soul To Take

 

“Hey Dad, welcome back to our humble abode” Luhan waved nonchalantly towards Siwon who just entered through the front door before he distracted himself with the exceptionally tight jam jar grunting and huffing as he tried frantically to yank off the lid.

“Thanks” Siwon hung up his coat with a slight smile sketched across his features and yanked off his mud-ridden boots studying Luhan and his epic struggle in the kitchen “What’s for dinner?” He asked warily, eye balling the red gunk left unattained in a clear ceramic bowl.

Luhan halted his movements following his gaze and huffed out in annoyance still desperately trying to mix the new concoction in front of him “trying something new” he pants stomping his feet on the grey tiles.

Siwon’s eyes widen “you think that’s such a great idea?” he rubbed the back of his neck timidly hoping Luhan doesn’t get offended but his expression tells Siwon he may have taken some offense.

Pouting he folds his arms across his flour stained cotton floss pink apron “I can cook you know!” he stabs a ladle into the red gloop as Siwon throws his arms up in his defence and chuckles slightly “I know I know” he chokes out shifting his weight around awkwardly “uhh, well I guess I’m gonna watch some TV you okay?” 

Luhan nodded not really paying any attention to him but rather focusing his mind on the experiments as Siwon lumbered off into the living room laying his body across the straw coloured couch turning every so often to make himself comfortable then flipping through the random stations waiting for anything to catch his eye. 

 

 

The sounds of the television program entertained Luhan a little, helping to keep his thoughts from wandering too much and distracting him when he’s in his, as he likes to call it ‘The Zen Zone’. What exactly Siwon was watching Luhan couldn’t quite figure out no matter how hard he tried even though he knew he should be concentrating on his cooking he couldn’t help but wonder what show it was, it sounded funny yet had some grim thrilling moments that never failed to send sudden shivers through his body, eventually he settled for just listening and working hoping something-anything-will spark a little insight to his confused brain.

After an hour or two –but who’s really counting anyway except for a starving Siwon sprawled across the cold floor to distract himself- Luhan had finally finished setting the table and had already called for the hungry man who was by now seated opposite him quietly scanning the table with a slightly amused expression.

“I thought you said you were trying something new?” Siwon eyed the array of food displayed in front of him “Mashed potatoes, steak, butternut and salad is hardly new” Siwon tried to avoid eye contact knowing the young boy must be fuming at blunt comment, quietly he opted to dish out his salad instead.

But instead of anger Luhan grinned guiltily rubbing the back of his neck “yeah about that” he side glanced at the disfigured multicoloured gunk sticking out the dustbin with a barely noticeable silver tablespoon still glued to it “I think it’s safer to eat this”

“Much safer” Siwon laughs out eyeing the ‘something new’ making its self at home in the dustbin.

“They burst out into a fit of laughter; the rest of dinner was spent in comfortable silence neither feeling the need to speak. Siwon offered to clean up so Luhan could get an early night, he did have a big day tomorrow but he didn’t know it yet. Heading up the timber squeaky stairs he makes his way to his dimly lit bedroom to get his sleeping clothes and thankfully a towel this time then sluggishly dragged his way to the bathroom too lazy to lift his feet off the ground. He haphazardly pushes his way through the door hanging up his blue towel and tucking his clothes as far away from the shower as possible making sure it doesn’t get drenched similar to the last time he idiotically took a bath half asleep. He steps into the running water submerging his shivering body completely underneath the shower head letting his auburn hair soak up the piping hot water casually humming the theme song from the Phantom of the Opera.

 

 

 

Luhan makes his way onto the front porch taking a deep breath of the cold air choking a bit as it fill his lungs. He walks down the stairs and onto the driveway slowly making his way down the driveway in his warm jacket covering his deep blue hoodie underneath and black skinny jeans. His hands are covered in his favorite fluffy gloves and surrounding his neck is his matching scarf both a light shade of red. His baby blue koala hat keeping his ears warm from the cold breeze nipping at his already pink nose. Nothing could affect him today, especially not the cold; he stumbles down the driveway just as Siwon pulls up in the old van.

"Hey siwo- wooah" Luhan’s back lands on the hard concrete so rapidly he’s mind is still trying to register the impact, so much for the double boxers he used as protection he sulked. Siwon rushes over in flurry of movement’s already lifting Luhans head of the ground. 

"You okay?" Luhan just blinks continuously unsure if his voice will fail him "pretty nasty fall you took"

Luhan brushes it away unceremoniously shuffling to stand but grimacing just as Siwon grabs him by his arm to keep him up "I think my broke most of the fall" he chokes voice failing him badly, waddling to his van with a few "ow...ehh..ooh..oww" here and there. 

"It’s a good thing I had new tyres put on the truck then, you know just in case it decides to slip and slide like you" Luhan snorts in his direction pouting a little "I will be late for dinner , got to head down to Masons county. A security guard got killed by some wild vicious wild animal" Luhan snaps his head back in his direction eyes widening like a deer caught in headlights. 

"Animal?”

"It’s not safe here Luhan, this is the cruel world we live in, so I need to lend a hand" Siwon mumbles out nonchalantly with his hands shoved into his back jean pockets quietly trying to escape from the cold. 

Luhan gradually registers the harshness of what was said and yet laced with Siwon’s soft tone "well...b-be careful"

Siwon smiles boyishly flashing his pearly whites and flicking his hands through his charcoal hair "Aint I always" Luhan rolls his eyes at his father’s boyish habits and jumps into his van waving gently as he pulls off onto the icy road.

 

 

The rain pours down severely as Luhan pulls into the school parking lot. Windshield wipers working full force to clear his view while he parks his van, coincidentally the area is apparently vacant making it easier than he expected. He cuts off the engine and reaches out into his gloved hands rubbing them together to create enough friction and warmth. Grabbing his backpack he straps it onto his shoulders and shuffles underneath his passenger seat "No No No, I forgot my umbrella" he runs his hands through his hair in frustration "perfect just peachy..." he glances out his windshield squinting "I can’t see a thing in this down pour" Luhan decides to just wing it unlocking his door stepping out getting ready to be soaked. Feeling not a drop on him, he runs his hands over himself: still dry, he glances up to be greeted by a bizarrely colourful umbrella already hoisted above himself and a figure dressed in all black even donning black sunglasses and a black beanie staring back at him through sunglasses. 

"Have no fear, for your saviour is here" Luhan can already tell who it is from the soft melodic muffled voice seeping through his face mask.

"Thank you Taemin" Luhan shuffles forward to shut his door and gathering under Taemin’s unusually huge umbrella "why are you wearing sunglasses?" Luhan asks shivering slightly from the slight cold breeze rustling past them.

"To keep my eyes warm" 

"How’s that working out for you?"

"Its hell" Taemin begins walking arms linked with Luhans much to his disapproval.

"You look like a burglar coming from Alaska" Luhan laughs out as they approach the building shoes already soaked so much that Luhan can feel the icy water inching closer to his socked toes.

"It’s oddly cold today, okay, besides I’m probably warmer than you will ever be" Taemin steps underneath the shelter dropping the umbrella to the side of them.

"I doubt that, I’m quite war-" Taemin shakes the umbrella in Luhans direction spraying the frosty waters onto his face and clothes.

"You were saying?" giggling Taemin puts the umbrella into the side of his backpack heading to his class waving happily at Luhan as he saunters backwards barely missing other students.

Luhan just waves back smiling at his childish behaviour if it wasn’t for Taemin he would have been soaked and probably ended up with pneumonia, thank the Lord for Taemin. He walks into his Biology class smiling happily when he spots Onew’s enthusiastic waving. Heading to his own seat barely acknowledging anyone else in the classroom as Onew begins making the weirdest hand movements with such passion and contorting his face in ways Luhan didn’t know was possible. Luhan takes his seat staring at Onews face fixed in concentration still motioning something to Luhan.

"Hello" the sweet melodic voice makes Luhans heat beat rapidly as he swiftly rotates in his seat meeting the tall boy face to face "I didn’t get to introduce myself before… I’m Sehun" Luhan gapes at the black haired boy; he could have swore it was a hazel brown before.  

"Hi I’m..." Luhan freezes *wait what’s my name again?* 

"Take your time I’m sure it will come back to you" Sehun says casually trying to cover his growing smirk as we watches Luhans puzzled face warp into one of utter confusion as he squirms in his seat.

 

 

"We’re doing onion roots today boys and girls, so we have to separate them into their proper phases and guess what...okay I will tell you, the team that does it the fastest will win... wait for it...my golden apple!" The teacher waves his spray painted apple around amusedly. Luhan barely focuses on the task at hand oblivious to the eyes scrutinizing his every move.

Sehun moves the microscope towards Luhan "here" Luhan breaks out in a slight shiver at the sound of his voice "maybe you should start" another shiver and Luhan hopes Sehun thinks he’s just cold...hopefully. Sehun just smiles cheeks rising a bit, he quickly covers it with a nonchalant smirk as Luhan turns to him briefly before returning back to the microscope.

He pulls the microscope closer to himself peering into the eye piece staring at it for a few seconds "you were gone a while" he blurts out mindlessly.

"Yeah...I had to go out of town for a couple of days...for some personal reasons" Sehun shifts calmly in his seat.

Luhan nods quietly scolding himself for prodding into Sehuns life. He pushed the microscope to the middle of the lab table "its prophase" Luhan guesses seeing as he didn’t pay much attention to it anyway.

"Do you mind if I check?"Sehun asks smiling slightly as Luhan shakes his head vigorously, he slides the microscope towards himself "its prophase"

Luhan lets out his bated breath "like I said" he tries to play of coolly as Sehun scribbles down the answer and slides on another glass sheet peering through the eye piece briefly before writing the answer down again "Anaphase"

Luhan, now feeling more confident in himself, slides the microscope to himself "do you mind if I check?" Sehun nods casually whilst Luhan stared eagerly into the eye piece only to be disappointed *dang it he’s right* "Anaphase" Luhan states dully. 

Sehun smiles brightly eyes crinkling slightly "like l said" he stares into Luhans eyes softly smiling at him.

"Did you get contacts?" Luhan blurts out yet again noting how Sehuns eyes were now a light hazel with hues of green instead of their black. 

"No" Sehun looked down boring holes into the desk.

"Oh" Luhan mumbled to himself "I thought something was different about your eyes"

Sehun shrugged staring at the last slide instead "Interphase" he wrote down "want to check?" Luhan shook his head in defeat *he’s probably right on that one too* "So you liking it here?"

"It’s okay just too wet" Luhan scowls as he watches the rain fall heavily outside their warm sanctuary.

"You don’t like rain?" Sehun turned his full attention to Luhan now. 

"It’s too much"

Sehun chuckles at Luhans pouting face "must be hard living in this place" he leaned across the table supporting his head with his left hand "why did you move here then?"

"It’s complicated" Luhan had the urge to wrench Sehuns arm out from under his head. 

"I think I can keep up Lu" Luhan frowned at Sehun then remembered how almost everyone knew his name so why wouldn’t Sehun know it too.

"Well, my Baba remarried" Luhan sighed out

"And you don’t like him?"

"No I do, Heechul is great and they love each other a lot, travelling around together, they’re happy you know"

"But your unhappy" Sehun shifted in his seat not taking his eyes off Luhan

"And?"

"Doesn’t seem fair" Luhan turns away from Sehuns strong gaze

"life’s not fair Sehun" Luhan smiles to himself just as the bell rings, Luhan turns quickly to Sehun in case he decides to rush out like before, surprisingly Sehun is still staring warmly at Luhan making him flustered "I-it was n-nice meeting you" 

"likewise" Sehun slowly stood bowing at Luhan before heading out the classroom with the teachers spray painted apple tucked snuggly into his backpack *Hey weren’t we supposed to share that*

 

 

"Luhan didn’t you get my message?" Onew whined behind Luhan seemingly out of breath, hunched over the desk trying desperately to catch his breath.

"Message? What message?" Luhan turned to Onews dazed red face "those hand sign thingies?"

"Yes those hand sign thingies! And it’s called sign language" Onew pouted sitting snuggly on top another students desk arms folded across his chest. He raised his arms and proceeded to show his so called message again. Luhan was convinced it was a form of rain dance for sure. Onew patted his head and rubbed his arms down to his torso, rapidly he curled his fists and did about 20 bunny hops "this means I’m feeling hungry...yet also a bit cold and tired" Luhan an eyebrow as he continues to make an 'O' with his fingers and then used his right index finger as a hook above it "this is a question mark-"

"Wait, you didn’t put every punctuation as a sign did you?" 

"Aren’t you supposed to?" Onew asked eyes as wide as a sad abandoned kicked puppy.

"No one would ever understand it” Luhan hobbles around Onews sagging body making his way out the classroom. "What do you have next?"

Onew just sulks quietly gesturing to his notebooks; Luhan takes a quick look before sighing out in relief. "Don’t be so happy"

"Bye Onew" Luhan waves happily as he takes big strides across the hallway to his next class. 

 

 

The rest of the day had passed by in a blur, with the occasional nonsense from the group. Jonghyun and Minho were fighting over who could draw the best unicorn, neither succeeded. Their drawing looked more like disfigured monster with a nail stuck in their head and Onew and Taemin didn't leave any food for the rest as usual. Key refused to sit with them ranting on about how pigs were not allowed in the cafeteria and should be banished at once, no one payed attention to him all day.

Luhan's last class flew by quite rapidly and he stretched his cold body as the last bell signaled the end of the day, he couldn't wait to get home to his warm bed and his loving teddy bears waiting for his return. He bid his farewells to his friends as he headed to his van hoping those tyres Siwon put would do good today. he stood by his van just as a high pitched screech was heard, painfully loud, startled he looked up, Sehun was staring at him in horror as were many of the other students but Sehun stuck out the most, for the fear on his face made Luhan's stomach twist in pain and terror filled his being. 

 

 

The dark grey van skidded, tires locked and squealing against the brakes, spinning out of control across the ice of the parking lot. Luhan couldn't breathe, it was coming straight for the back of his truck...he was right between them. Luhan didn't even have time to close his eyes.