CHAPTER 13

Ugly Mistake

Jessica sat on the yoga mat and slowly followed the movement that she remembered during the class. She was doing some yoga exercise that was recommended for a pregnant mother. After a good 30 minutes, she finished her exercise and found Nichkhun leisurely rested on the coach behind her. “no work today? I thought you already left to the office,” She asked. She wiped sweat across her face with a towel.

 

“nope. Finally got some time to breath,” he stated. He was currently busy preparing for 2PM’s come back stage and their new album. He has been practicing for more than a month now. They already finished with the song recording. Now, most of the time was focused on the dance practice.

 

“I want to go outside,” Jessica confessed. She rose from her sit and walked to the kitchen to get her drink. She really wanted to go outside. Do some shopping and went to some place to eat delicious food. She missed doing that. She used to do it before with Krystal and her other members when they had free time. She wanted to do it but apparently everyone was busy with their own schedule. She wanted to ask for her sister’s accompany but currently her sister busy with their comeback as well. Meanwhile, her SNSD members were busy preparing their Japanese album comeback.

 

“you’re not confined in here. You can go wherever you want. I won’t stop you. Didn’t you visit your parents last two days?” Nichkhun asked behind her. She found that he followed her to the kitchen. She didn’t immediately answer his question. She put her glass on the counter before sitting on the high chair. Nichkhun followed her afterward.

 

Jessica pouted. Nichkhun didn’t understand what she wanted. Yes, of course she can go wherever she wanted to go. She was not confined to be inside the house all the time. In fact she did visit her members once in a while. And she went to her parents’ house all the time. But some time she wanted to go outside, get some fresh air and bright sunlight. In other word she wanted to be in the crowd.

 

“actually, I’ve been craving for something,” she finally confessed. Usually, she never shared her craved with Nichkhun. If she did crave for something, she will try to find it herself. Or, if she can prepare them by herself, she tried to do it alone. Sometimes, Krystal will be her victim to find her favorite foods. However this time, she needed his help and cooperation.

 

Nichkhun looked at her blankly. “what is it? You want me to go buy them for you? You know right if you want something, just ask me. Don’t hesitate to ask for my help,” he said.

 

“aniya. You don’t have to. I wanted you to accompany me to go there,” she said. “I can’t go there alone,” she confessed.

 

“where is it actually?” asked Nichkhun. He stared into her eyes and he found that Jessica hesitated before replied.

 

“Dongdaemun market,” she replied with a low voice.

 

“you do realize right that the market is quite crowded place, even on working day. Are you okay with that?” he continued to ask. He didn’t mind to go there but he needed to make sure that she really wanted to go there. Jessica was pregnant and he needed to make sure that she was comfortable with the environment around her. “are you sure you want to go? Do you want me to go there alone and buy whatever you want to eat?”

 

Jessica nodded her head. “I want to go there. Plus, the food taste better when eating fresh and hot,” Jessica said. She can already imagine various type of food waiting for her to taste. “so…” she paused for a while. “when are we going?” she asked. She bites her lower lip while waiting for Nichkhun answer. Her eyes were sparkling with excitement. Nichkhun laughed at her eagerness.

 

“we can go today since I has the whole day free. And, are you going to be comfortable to be at the crowded place like that? Are you not worried?” Nichkhun looked at Jessica’s excited face. Again he wanted Jessica to be sure to out there.

 

“as much as I hate that I have to stay extra close to you, I honestly don’t care. As long as I can get what I want and I can enjoy every single thing there, I don’t mind a single bit. Besides, we already married. People don’t really care as much as they care before we get married, do they? Plus, I was not allowed to join any SNSD’s activity. I can’t wait for the baby to come out so that I can be active again. Oh I miss the rush that I get during performance,” Jessica said while studying at her glass.

 

“are you not comfortable with my idea? To be in the crowd with me?” Jessica hesitantly asked. This was not about her alone. She has to include Nichkhun’s opinion on this too.

 

“me is not the point here. I’m a big guy so I pretty much can deal with the crowd. I’m used to it. As long as my baby got what he wants,” Nichkhun said before winked. Jessica replied his cheeky response with a pout. They both laughed afterwards.

 

********************************

 

“oh my God. I miss this surrounding. I miss this smell,” Jessica chattered excitedly. He never saw Jessica this excited. “it must be freaking boring to be inside the house alone all day, don’t you?” Nichkhun asked. His quickly parked their car. Jessica was already eager to be outside of the car. Nichkhun looked at her appearance. She was wearing a maternity dress that fall freely to her knees. Her face was glowing with excitement. He can’t help but laugh at her excitement.

 

“you have no idea how boring it was to be there alone,” Jessica confessed. “can you please park the car faster? We’ll miss all the good things inside there,” Jessica instructed her.

 

“yes, my princess. I know you’re all excited but, we will be inside soon. Just need a little patient there,” Nichkhun . Jessica replied with a cute pout. Nichkhun got out of the car before moving faster to Jessica’s side. He opened the door before helping her out of the car. “just a reminder. Be close to me. Don’t go all excited inside,” Nichkhun whispered.

 

“I know dear husband. You just stay by my side,” Jessica replied while hooking her hand with his arm. “and you promised that you’ll pay for everything, right?” she asked cutely. Nichkhun can’t help but smiled. They slowly moved toward the entrance.

 

*******************************************

 

 “look at that. Spicy dobbukki,” Jessica shouted excitedly while tugging his hand along. Nichkhun can’t help but dragged himself toward where she went. “so this is what you’ve been craving for?” he asked when Jessica finished ordering her spicy dobbukki.

 

“yeap. Oh look at that sauce. Nyum nyum,” she said. The stall lady handed a cup filled with spicy dobbukki toward Jessica with extra cheese on top. She instructed Nichkhun to pay for the food. She excitedly picked one of the steamy rice cakes and ate. She carefully chewed the rice cake while slowly indulging the taste. After the finishing the whole cup, she looked at Nichkhun who was looking at her the whole time.

 

“you’re not eating,” she said rather than asked. She noticed that Nichkhun didn’t even have a cup in front of him. “I thought we are sharing,” she heard him reply.

 

“you expect to share this tiny cup with a craving pregnant woman? Why don’t you order some,” Jessica looked at him innocently. Actually Nichkhun wanted to order his own. But he was too preoccupied with Jessica’s reaction while eating her cup of spicy cheesy dobbukki.

 

“I should bring you here sooner,” Nichkhun said. Jessica was already on her second cup.

 

“why do you say that?” Jessica raised her head.

 

“you should look at your own expression when you’re eating that,” Nichkhun answered.

 

“wae? Do I mess up a lot,” Jessica quickly wiped the area around her lips with her tongue. Nichkhun picked his napkin before helping her wiping . “oh my. You must be embarrassed with my table manner. I usually don’t eat like this,” Jessica explained.

 

“my mom used to tell me that if I want to date a girl, date someone that eat well. At that time, I totally confused with what my mom was trying to tell me. Now I finally get the meaning of those words,” Nichkhun said.

 

“and what is that?” Jessica questioned.

 

“well, girl who eats well look even more attractive in their own way,” Nichkhun commented. Jessica looked confused at his comment. He knew Jessica was kind of absentminded sometime and he was pretty sure that she didn’t get what he was trying to tell.

 

“whatever. Are you not eating that?” Jessica asked  as she noticed that Nichkhun barely ate the rice cake inside his cup. “do you mind?” she was about to take his cup when Nichkhun stopped her.

 

“hey, it’s mine. You ate 2 cups already. Save some space inside your tummy for the next store. Are you pregnant or is there any monster living inside this tummy?” Nichkhun . Since they got married, Jessica never told her what she craved about and he never knew that can eat this well. “are you finish with that? let’s go to that stall,” Nichkhun pointed toward his left. Jessica followed his direction and once again her eyes filled with excitement.

 

“oh my God, let’s go there. Nichkhun-shi, palli. They are selling hot fish bun,” Jessica tugged Nichkhun along. Nichkhun allowed himself to follow Jessica’s excitement.

 

“omo, look who we have here. Isn’t that our Nichkhun and Jessica couple? How are you two these days? How is the baby going?” asked the owner of the store.

 

“we are good ahjumma. Jessica craves for street food and here we are,” Nichkhun explained. Jessica was in her own world again, currently smiling from ear-to-ear. Nichkhun could tell that she was totally excited with the food in front of her.

 

“just take everything that you want. It’s on the house,” said that ahjumma.

 

“no ahjumma no. you shouldn’t do that. we will pay,” Nichkhun refused.

 

“aigoo. I’m giving this to the kid and the mother. She must love it so much,” that ahjumma said while looking at Jessica. “thank you ahjumma. I’ll enjoy the food,” Jessica said to her.

 

“aigoo. You’re eating so well. I remembered during my first pregnancy, I can’t even smell the food. You’re lucky, Jessica-shi,” Jessica smiled at the comment.

 

After the ahjumma left both of them alone to serve for other customer, Jessica took one of the fish bun before shove it toward Nichkhun. Nichkhun looked at her weirdly before asking. “what are you doing?”

 

“ahh, open your mouth wide. I’m feeding you now,” she responded. “palli. Open your mouth,” she insisted. Nichkhun paused for a moment before opening his mouth.

 

“tasty right?” she asked. He nodded his head. “that’s why I insisted coming here. The food here are all tasty.”

 

****************************************

 

“look at those cute outfits,” Jessica pointed toward the shop. The window displayed some new collection of baby’s outfit according to the season. “do you want to go inside? To take a look,” Nichkhun asked. They never talked about the baby necessities. He thought there were still time around and he can prepared them anytime.

 

Jessica walked into the store and he followed behind. “wahh. We should do the baby shopping sooner. There are so many things to be prepared and we have done none of that,” Jessica said while walking around the store. “you know, I used to dream that one day, when I got married and pregnant, I want to go baby shopping with my husband. Who knows I achieve that dream soon enough,” Jessica said jokingly.

 

“do you want to buy any?” Nichkhun asked. Nichkhun picked one of the shirts with a pale blue color. He handed the shirt to her. “what about this one,” Nichkhun said.

 

“we’re not choosing anything that represent gender. And blue is a color for a boy,” Jessica stated before placed the shirt back on its original place.

 

“what? That is ism. A girl can wear blue too,” Nichkhun didn’t want to give up.

 

“nope. I say no and period,” Jessica shut his mouth with her short answer.

 

“and look at this pants,” he said while showing off a pants.

 

“that look fine but the baby can’t wear that anytime soon. Look at the size you idiot,” Jessica scolded him. well, honestly, he already knew that. he just want to find something to annoy her.

 

“this shirt looks cool,” he showed her the shirt.

 

“what? No!” Jessica quickly rejected his choice. “my baby will never wear something like that. Can you quit showing me your choice? Do you have some basic knowledge about fashion at all? I bet your stylist need to lay out everything for your outfits,” she continued nagging.

 

He left Jessica and continued with his hunting. He looked around and finally he found a baby whole set of baby clothes for newborn. He called Jessica and showed the set to her. “it’s not blue nor pink. They are purple and they are perfect for my Nichkhun Junior,” he commented.

 

“okay, we can buy this one,” Jessica finally agreed with his choice.

 

When Jessica was preoccupied with her choice, Nichkhun saw a mannequin dressed with maternity dress. He scanned through the design and found one that he liked. He grabbed the dress and found another dress that he knew Jessica will throw a fit if he bought the dress. “I think this suit you well,” Nichkhun said while trying to picture her wearing the dress. Jessica looked at him and the dress.

 

“what! No way. I won’t wear that even if you threaten to kill me,” Jessica shrieked.

 

“what’s wrong with this dress? It looks perfect for me. It will look good on your body curve. Gotta show some of them,” Nichkhun said while winking. He could tell that her face flushed. Either from embarrassment or anger.

 

“buy them or I will kill you,” Jessica turned her head toward another direction. Nichkhun laughed out loud. If Jessica turned into another person when she indulged all those delicious food, she back to her normal self once she her shopping mood. She was now turned back to the stylish Jessica.

 

“okay. We won’t buy that dress. What about this one?” he showed her the dress that he liked. Jessica didn’t comment much but she replied with a thumb-up, giving him a positive signal for the dress. They finally left the store with some baby necessities and a new maternity dress for stylish Jessica.

 

*********************************************

 

After a few hours of visiting from stall to stall, Jessica never seemed to full. Currently, she had ice-cream in her hand. When she insisted Nichkhun to buy her ice-cream, she said that she always had room for dessert. Her left hand was interlocking with Nichkhun’s.

 

Jessica was true when she said people didn’t actually care much. Of course they were excited when they saw both of them on the road, walking side by side with interlocking hands. But, the crowd respected them. Some of them were taking pictures and Jessica and he were waving and smiling friendly toward them. “can we go inside that store?” Jessica pointed toward a store that apparently sold sweets.

 

“I need to bring something home right?” Jessica explained when Nichkhun gave a look toward her.

 

“well. Today is your day. So, anything…” Nichkhun said. Jessica squealed happily while hugging his arm. He opened the door before allowing Jessica to enter the store. The smell of freshly baked cookies filled the space. Jessica went to her own way. She looked like she was regular customer at this store. She basically knew what she wanted and where they were located. Nichkhun let her be in her own way.

 

He looked around the store and his eyes met two figures that he wished he didn’t know. She was choosing something over the shelf. He knew this was wrong and it was unfair for him to feel this way after everything that happened. He was no one to question what she should and shouldn’t do. He lost his right to stop her seeing anyone.

 

Even though she had her face covered, he could tell it was her. Nichkhun saw the guy moved towards her before whispering something to her ear. Finally she decided what they wanted to buy. After that he saw both of them walked toward the cashier before exiting the store together. He was actually shocked with her boldness. Nichkhun remembered during the time when he was dating her, he can’t even see her privately after the show. They needed to go separate way before meeting at their secret dating spot. She was too careful back then. Even when Nichkhun asked to date publicly, she rejected his idea as soon as he voiced it. Seeing what he saw just now hurt him deeply.

 

He tried to search for Jessica. If not because of her, he won’t see those unpleasant sights. Nichkhun quickly approached Jessica once he spotted her. 

 

*******************************************

 

Jessica felt like a child in a candy land. She was very happy to the point where she wanted to hug anyone that passed by. She quickly picked a basket before making her way to the alley full with candy and chocolate. Her eyes blurred with every product on the shelf. She picked pretty much everything that that available on the shelf. She heard someone beside her sighed. “what’s wrong with you?” she asked while picking up a chocolate bar.

 

“do you really need all that?” Nichkhun pointed his finger toward the basket that was already half filled with chocolates and candies. “do you ever concern that it will affect your body with that much of chocolate and candy? And as much as I remember, you pretty much hated chocolate unless there is nuts inside. And most of that are without nuts,” Nichkhun said clearly.

 

“I did but I think pregnancy does a very magical thing to me. I love chocolate now. Very much,” Jessica emphasized her newly found love towards the sweet chocolates.

 

“are you done yet?” Nichkhun asked. He looked around the store and found every one’s stare toward them. “not yet. There are still many things over there that we should take a look,” Jessica replied.

 

“what? No! That is already enough for the next few months,” Nichkhun argued with her.

 

Jessica looked at him weirdly. Suddenly she felt like she wanted to cry. “how could you treat me this way. It was you who responsible turning me this way. if not was because of this pregnancy, I won’t be indulging myself with this sweets,” Jessica blamed him. Nichkhun shook his head.

 

“are you serious now? Are you done? Because if you do, we’re going home now,” Nichkhun said.

 

“what wrong with you and sudden mood changing? You promised you wanted to treat me everything that I want. You will pay for everything. Today is all about me but where those promise now?” Jessica asked. Her eyes were already filled with tears.

 

“whatever. Do whatever you want to do. Here’s the card. I’ll wait outside,” Nichkhun said before leaving her alone inside the candy store. Jessica looked at his back before looking back at her basket full with sweets. Suddenly, she lost her eagerness for the sweets. She tried to hold back her tears. Pregnancy made her sensitive and Nichkhun never did a good thing to help her with that issues.

 

Again, she threw her stare towards the basket. Slowly, she left the basket on the empty shelf on her left. She left the store with nothing in her hand. Somehow she felt that Nichkhun didn’t really want to treat her. What did she do wrong to deserve that cold shoulder? He was fine all day and suddenly…

 

Jessica sighed. She slowly made her way toward the car. Nichkhun was already inside. She opened the door before hopping into the car. “where’re the sweets?” Nichkhun asked half-heartedly.

 

“I’m not buying,” she replied shortly.

 

“seriously? If you want to buy, just go. We don’t have all day for this,” Nichkhun said with a cold voice.

 

“I don’t want any,” Jessica replied with the same tone.

 

“don’t force me to come buy them later,” he threatened her.

 

“whatever. Just go,” she retorted. She didn’t know what changed his mood into a nasty one. But to make him think that he win, that was not her. Nichkhun was playing the game with a wrong person. Jessica stared out of window along the journey to their home and Nichkhun didn’t make any effort to start the conversation. Finally, tired settled in and Jessica fell into deep sleep along the journey back home.

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

okay, first of all, i'm so sorryyyyyyyyyy guys.. i've been neglecting UM for such a long period. believe me, i want to update the chapter so much but i've been stucked with author's block for such a long time. i like doing something under pressure. in fact i did ECHO during my university's years. everytime i felt stress over something, i will rant out through the story. and, i've been doing nothing for past 5 months and i can't even write a single page of it. i felt very frustrated and everytime i tried to write, i stucked after 3 lines of sentences. oh my, i can't believe it myself. 

 

so, i hope you ignore with the timeline since i just write whatever i want to.. hehehe.. and about the market, i'm not sure whether that place did sell the things that i write and i am super lazy to search for it. so, again, ignore it. just imagine those things available there.

 

so, tell me what you guys think. my writing skills become way too rusty. forgive me TT.TT. please enjoy and R&R.. lots of love, arinalee