A Date

Inexplicable

chapter seven
A Date
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A loud bell sounds through the house, jolting me awake. Blinking sleepily, I glance at the clock on my wall; 7pm. I hear my mum from downstairs opening the door. The muffled voices are inaudible and I decide it is probably some salesman that is idiotic enough to advertise this late in the evening.

Clearly awake, I rub my eyes and sit up. It's been a while since I've napped and I feel refreshed. I am about to sit at my desk and surf the internet when I hear my mum coming up the stairs and knock on my door.

"Yes?" I call.

She opens the door and stares at me as if I am an alien. "There's a guy at the door saying he's come to pick you up for a date?" My mum sounds lost.

I am too.

What kind of guy would arrive at my place on a Sunday night, proposing that he has a date with me? Then, a name zips through my head.

"Tao," I breathe and hastily get up.

"Tao?" My mother frowns. "Is that his name?" I nod and smooth my hair which thankfully isn't in its usual haystack. "Why am I not notified of this date?" my mother asks sternly as she follows me down the stairs.

"Forgot," I shrug and appear at our front doorway.

Tao is wearing a black leather jacket, a white shirt, jeans and a black rounded hat. He breaks out into a wide smile at the sight of me.

"Tae-boo!" Tao grins excitedly.

"Tae-boo?" My mum repeats confused and I supress the urge to glare at Tao.

"Tao. . ." I give a slight nod. "I'm sorry, I totally forgot about our. . . outing tonight."

"That's okay!" Tao nods and his eyes roam my baggy jeans and jacket. "I'll wait for you to get ready."

That isn't the answer I am expecting. He is supposed to nod sadly and say it is alright, then leave.

"Yes, Taeyeon will head up and get ready for your date." Mum smiles politely at Tao and tugs at my arm. "Please come in and make yourself comfortable."

Tao smiles as he steps into our house and begins to compliment how cosy our house looks. Once his back is turned, my mum stops smiling and glares at me. "You are not going to reject him now," she whispers harshly at my ear and I cringe. "I don't know why you accepted his request to date when you clearly aren't looking forward to it, but I will not put up with hostility. So tidy yourself up and get ready." My mother pushes me upstairs and I reluctantly stalk off to my room, wishing that Sehun and Kai would appear so I can take out my frustration on them.

I sigh as I put on a dark green leopard print shirt and matching dark green tights. I slip on my furry white jacket that reaches to my mid thighs, and black boots. I brush out my hair and then tousle it a little so it suits my outfit better. I am never really interested in cosmetics and so I simply brush on two thin layers of mascara. I pocket my phone and purse, and am out the door in five minutes.

As I plonk down the stairs, Tao halts his speech with my mother and looks up at me in amazement.

"Wow Taeyeon!" Tao gapes. "You took such little time to look so pretty!"

I smile. "Thanks."

"Alright, off you two go, and I expect my daughter to be back home by eleven." My mother put her hands on her hips and gives Tao a fake-stern look.

"Don't you worry Mrs. Kim." Tao gives a small salute and slings his arm across my shoulders. "I'll take good care of Taeyeon and will get her back home safe and sound." My mother shakes her head and smiles. Has Tao managed to charm my mother with his cheesiness?

Tao guides my stiff posture to the front door and walks out of my lawn to a black BMW. Well, looks like someone is pretty wealthy. "You haven't eaten anything beforehand, right?" The usual bubbly vibe Tao gives is nowhere to be seen as Tao opens the car door for me.

"Oh, er, no, I haven't." I am a little surprised at how he is acting so gentleman-like. He quietly shuts the door after I sit down in the passanger seat and goes over in the driver's. He starts the car.

"Sorry, I got a little carried away there. I wasn't planning to act like that at your place but I guess I got carried away."

I look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

He turns off my street. "You'll see."

Silence envelopes us. I am kind of expecting the usual non-stop chatter from Tao but all he does is keep his eyes on the road with one hand on the steering wheel and his other arm propped on the open window.

I've never seen this side of Tao, so quiet and cool. I sneak a peek at him. His fringe is swiped across his forehead neatly and he keeps biting his finger. His nose bridge and jawline is sharp, lips small. He is in a really relaxed position and I find myself sinking lower in the plush seat, seeking comfort. I don't realise I haven't taken my eyes off him because when we get to a red light, he suddenly turns his head to look at me. His brown eyes bear into mine and he gives me a smile. It's not the giddy smile he's always displaying at school. The way he jerks his corner of his lip higher than the other screams out y. The light turns green and Tao focuses his attention back on the road.

I enjoy the silence and rest my head on the chair. Tao's driving is really smooth and I watch the street lights dance past. No sooner than fifteen minutes, we arrive at our destination. Tao smoothly parks the car and gets out. I don't know how he manages to turn off the engine and run around to my side in time but my car door is open just as I unclick my seatbelt. Is Tao experienced in this?

"Thanks," I say and he smiles back.

Tao starts walking to the right and because I am unfamiliar with the area, I follow him. It is a short walk and Tao walks up to a restaurant. He beckons me inside and holds the glass door open for me. I thank him again and step in the warm atmostphere in amazement. There are small cubicles displaying the traditional korean dining. Cushions are provided to my relief; I don't like sitting on hard ground. One of the waiters leads us to some cubicles that has mirrored shutters with a painted brown frame. As the waiter slides the shutters open, there is a table set out and two chairs sitting opposite each other. The walls are painted with outlined butterflies and trees.

Tao walks in and takes out a chair for me. I hesitantly walk over, plopping down and tuck my chair in. Tao sits down opposite me.

"Thank you," Tao says to the waiter who gives us a menu.

I am still looking around the room. "Tao did you book this room?"

"Yes, I did."

I frown, confused. "But I thought you said you'd take me to a pizza place?"

Tao smiles at me. "So you'd remember the venue I suggest but not the actual date?"

A blush spreads across my cheeks and I look down at my hands. "Sorry," I say sheepishly.

He chuckles. "Don't worry about it. I got a date with the girl I like, I'm not going to take her out to some pizza place."

"How much was this?"

"Money isn't a problem. It's alright, I'm paying for everything. It's a date, remember?"

"Thank you Tao," I smile sincerely, feeling a little guilty as I doubt that I can return his feelings.

Tao waves his hand and points to the menu. "What would you like to eat?"

After ordering our dinner, Tao and I exchange small talk. At school, Tao is stubborn and childish. Here, Tao is charming and sweet. No one would have matched this Tao to the one back at school. It is just unbelievable.

"So you like singing?" Tao asks. I nod. "Can you sing for me?" My eyes widen and I shake my head profusely. Tao chuckles and his head to the side. "Why not?"

"You don't know how bad I am."

"I don't believe you're bad."

"That's because you haven't heard me sing."

"So sing for me and let me hear how bad you promise you are."

"No way!"

"Yes way."

"You'd want to bolt out of here."

"I can endure it."

"No you can't."

"Try me."

I narrow my eyes at him as he smiles at me in amusement. Surprise surprise, Tao can actually win me in an argument, though a quite immature one. And besides, this room doesn't look cheap, and neither does the food we have ordered so I mutter a 'Fine.' Tao smirks at his small victory and props his elbows on the table. I close my eyes and hum softly. My voice comes out strong and I sing softly so the people outside the room can't hear.

 

"My eyes only seek you
My hands are still holding on to you
I can’t do anything with my heart
Love is so sad for me.
"

 

Tao's voice joins and I open my eyes in confusion, though not breaking the flow of the lyrics. He smiles as the words fall away from his lips, his voice is low and controlled, moulded into a wonderful sound. We stop at the end of chorus and I stare at him in amazement. "You can sing?" I ask.

He nods. "And so can you."

I immediately scoff. "No I can't."

"Oh stop being so modest." Tao rolls his eyes.

I stick my tongue at him and a knock is heard. The shutter slides open and the waiter walks in with our food, all prettily arranged on china plates. It tastes as good as it looks. Throughout the meal, Tao and I talk, tease, laugh and smile. I am really enjoying his company and am sad to see not a scrape of food left on the plate. For once, I wish for the time to go slower. Dessert soon follows, stalling our time together but it is nearing eleven and Tao had promised my mother he would take me home by then.

Tao leaves a tip along with his bill, refusing my offer to pay even a tiny portion of it.

"It's a date, silly," Tao chides. "The beautiful lady isn't supposed to pay." I blush at his comment and stop trying to shove my money in his face. Tao puts his arm on my shoulders and we walk out of the restaurant. His warm presence makes me feel comfortable and I don't refrain from asking the question I've been thinking all night.

"Tao, why are you never like this in school?"

He keeps his eyes forward as I look up at him. I watch him give a small smirk. "Like what?"

I narrow my eyes at him. He wants me to admit it. "Like not childish."

Tao frowns. "I am not childish at school."

"Yes you are," I tease and poke him in the ribs. He gives a yelp and shrinks away from me. We have reached his car and we both get in, him of course being polite and opens the door for me.

"You never struck me as the gentlemen type," I say as he got in the driver's seat.

Tao's hand leaves the car keys at the ignition and turns to look at me seriously. "What does this side of me remind you of?" His deep voice makes it hard to focus but I frown and observe him. His eyes bear into mine, his hat neatly aligned on his forehead. His nose protrudes at a perfect angle and his mouth looks soft yet firm. His white shirt contrasts with his black leather jacket and he looks great in those jeans and boots. It is a very simple outfit yet he looks so handsome.

"Boys who would attract many girls," I say uncertainly. Tao smiles at me and starts up the car.

"And if I am to show this side of me at school, do you reckon you would have given me a chance?"

It wasn't my decision to agree on this date in the first place but I don't say that aloud. I open my mouth to answer but Tao cuts me off.

"I mean, compared to the popular boys."

"Of course," I reply without hesitation. "I'd choose you over them anyday."

Tao nods his head in satisfaction. He knows that my intention is nowhere near dating but by changing his behaviour to throw aside his good looks so that I wouldn't despise him is a really smart tactic. Not that it would actually give him what he wants but it is good enough.

The ride back to my place is silent. We are both absorbed in our own thoughts. Tao turns onto my familiar street and again, he manages to appear beside me and open my door before I can even unlock my seatbelt.

"Tonight was fun," I say as we stop at my front door. I search for my keys and push it in the lock.

"Thanks for coming along, even if you were forced," Tao replies and watches me take a step into my house. I stop when he calls my name again.

"Yes?" I turn back and wonder if he is going to say 'goodnight'.

"I realised something." Tao shoves his hands in his pockets and gives me a smile. "I had expected for my feelings to grow on this date, but it didn't. And now when I look at you, a smile comes onto my face but my heart doesn't beat faster like it usually does at school." He tilts his head at me. "I think I've stopped liking you. So you can breathe now."

I stand there, speechless. I don't know what to say. Is this considered rejection even if I never had and don't have feelings for him in the first place? "Oh, um. That's cool I guess."

He laughs. "You look so awkward, I should take a picture."

My posture loosens up and without thinking, I take a step and give a little punch on his forearm. "Shush."

My eyes widen at what I have done but his smile doesn't disappear. "Friends?" 

I smile up at him. "Friends."

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________________________________________________