Embarrassment

Inexplicable
chapter thirteen
Embarassment
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Baekhyun places his hands on the double doors and swings them open, revealing the place I hate most at school. The gymnasium. Baekhyun doesn't hesitate at the doors like I do and I bite back a yelp as I feel yet another tug at my already bruising waist.

I enter the cool atmosphere and my eyes stray to a bunch of guys practising their dribbling skills. I recognise most to be part of the popular group. My eyes restlessly pass over their defined biceps as they run around in navy blue and white jerseys; our school's basketball uniform. The sound of basketballs hitting the ground gradually stops one by one as the boys catch sight of me and the black strap connecting Baekhyun and I together. I keep my eyes just above Baekhyun's shoulder, trying to ignore the gaping mouths and confused eyes shot in our direction. I don't like the attention I am receiving and I mentally curse Ms Lee for thinking up such an absurd assignment. Apparently, I am not the only one experiencing a foul mood.

"What?" Baekhyun snaps and glares at his basketball teamates. 

The boys instantly shut their mouths and the sounds of basketballs resume. I follow Baekhyun to one of the benches and stare at him as he drops his bag heavily on the wooden planks. He digs out the exact same navy blue and white jersey and shorts as the other guys are wearing, then looks me up from head to toe.

"Do you have your sports uniform?" he asks as he zips up his bag.

"No. . ." I trail off, my eyes widening as I realise what he is implying. I have to play basketball with a skirt.

Baekhyun reaches his arm to the lower part of my body and before I can react, he lifts my skirt, stares at my thighs, then drops the material back down casually as if he does this everyday. I give a squeak and straighten my skirt - that looks way too short today - glaring at him.

"Good, you have shorts on," he muses before I have a chance to hiss a 'what the hell?!'

I opt for another comment. "Was that really necessary?" I turn my head back to see if any of the guys had seen Baekhyun's bold and weird move. None of their heads are turned to us so either they did not see, or they probably see girls flash all the time and are not interested to see an average girl's thighs. I want to go with my first assumption.

I snap my head back to glare at Baekhyun's bored shrug. "Hey, you've got nice thighs for a nerd by the way," he comments in a monotonous tone before turning around and walking towards the change room, leaving me standing there for a split second as heat spreads across my cheeks. Pain shoots through my waist again causing me to grimace and follow his steps. 

I try to get rid of my blush as we enter the change room but that is the least of my worries as I am immediately hit by a foul-smelling odour. "Oh my gosh what the hell is that?" I hiss, my hand flying up to pinch my nose. The change room is similar to the girls; polished planks set neatly around with hooks drillled in for assistance, everything altered to a light brown to give the room a pleasant vibe and two lights shined up ahead. The only difference is the effluvium. I scan the room to see if there is a lost sock, underwear, anything that provides the source of the contaminated air. The room is spotless. 

"What?" Baekhyun says without halting, forcing me to walk through the stench.

"Is this what the guys' change room smells like everyday?"

"Oh. Yeah, pretty much. Got used to it."

"That's just disg-" My eyes widen as Baekhyun pulls up his school shirt so the black loop isn't in the way and lifts it above his head, exposing his milky smooth torso. I turn away in an instant, the image of his toned bicep flashing in my mind. As he was facing me side on, I didn't see his chest and I don't think I want to; I am not interested in what his fangirls are.

I don't say anything as I wait for him to change while taking small breaths. Instead, I try to cover up my legs as best I can, using the thin material of my skirt. I can only get it to reach up to three quarters of my thighs. It is the best I can get.

Baekhyun walks in front of me, his eyes on my black shoes. "I'd give you my pants," he says, holding up his ankle length school pants, "but it's too long. And you're going to trip either way." He turns around and heads off toward the exit, and I don't care that he has insulted me. I just want to be out of the stench as soon as possible.

I can't help but run ahead of him and kick open the door, the fresh air instantly welcoming me. I pant, my body involuntarily swaying as if I have just gone on a dizzying ride. I must have looked overdramatic because Baekhyun shoots me an amused glance before walking off to his belongings. I follow, trying to calm my breathing. I then realise that Baekhyun is wearing the basketball uniform, his jersey revealing his biceps, and the shorts, his slender calves. I notice that he has a skinny figure, not the muscly type.

"Hey Baekhyun. Why did you bring her? Why are you wearing that?" a boy calls and I look over to see Daehyun, the basketball captain with a ball wedged between his arm and hip. Daehyun gives me a suspicious look, his eyes giving off a cold aura around him that sends shivers down my spine. He comes to a stop next to Baekhyun, a metre away, but he still towers over me. 

"I didn't bring her by choice. It's that gay health assignment," Baekhyun growls and grabs the ball from Daehyun's arms. He starts dribbling and passes it effortlessly from hand to hand, and between his knees - skills that I can never master no matter how hard I try. I glance up at Daehyun to see him scrutinising me, giving me goosebumps but before I can look away, the band has dragged me to the direction where Baekhyun is headed - to the basketball hoop. 

"Ow!" I can't bite back my yell as Baekhyun tries to make a run towards the hoop. Baekhyun mutters something under his breath and stops dribbling, turning his annoyed gaze towards me. 

"Can you. . . try and run with me?" he speaks in a controlled tone, eyeing my hand clutching at my waist.

"What, with a metre's distance between us?" I reply a little too harshly.

He sighs and rakes a hand through his hair. I am well aware of his teamates staring at us but I don't let that waver me. "Look, our semi-final is in two weeks, we need the practice. The game means a lot to us and we're not going to sacrifice the chance of winning because you're not sporty."

I stare back into his eyes. The gymnasium is totally silent and I gulp. "Alright, fine. Whatever."

Baekhyun gives me a nod and I am surprised at how controlled he is. I am expecting him to burst into outrage, maybe shove me up against the wall and harass me until he gets what he wants. He hadn't asked me in the nicest way possible, nor does he utter a mere thank you but I take it that that is the most civil state he is willing to go. He still has an image to maintain.

"Alright guys!" Daehyun yells and everyone snaps their attention to him. "As Baekhyun said earlier, semi finals are coming up. And we're going to win, and when I say win, I mean kick their whooping asses off the planet win!" The boys roar their encouragement and Daehyun scans the room, smirking. "Alright, split into fives, we're going full court* today!"

There are shouts of whoops as I stare in confusion. Balls are chucked to the side, leaving only one in Daehyun's hands. Baekhyun stays still while a few guys shuffle over to stand on the other side of Daehyun, opposite us. I do not recognise any of the three boys. The rest of the basketball team stands in the middle of us, looking from Baekhyun, to me and to Daehyun with a lost expression on their faces.

A boy with a black fringe points a finger at me, confused. "Is she playing?"

"Yes," Daehyun answers without a moment's hesitation and spins the basketball on his finger casually. "Taeyeon will be with us for today's practice. It's their PDH assignment. They have to be attatched."

"Just take the damn thing off," one calls out.

"It's got a padlock you idiot." 

Jongup, a strong built boy with his arms crossed over his chest, is staring at me. "So she'll be fifth player? Are you reffing*?"

Daehyun shrugs. "Yep."

A bright orange-hair member who can only be Zelo, and Jongup share a look and nods to the three boys standing opposite us. "We'll go on that team."

In the middle, the remaining boys whom I all know from my classes - Luhan, Lay and Youngjae - bite back their disappointment of having a burden on their team. Surprisingly, they don't make too much of a big deal out of it. The five boys on the other team hi-five each other and smirk at us, as if they knew it is going to be an easy win. I try not to think too much of it and nervously shuffle from foot to foot.

"Is she going to be playing in that?" Luhan asks as the other two boys stroll towards Baekhyun and I. Their eyes run down my body, observing my exposed legs. I look away from their gazes.

"Yes," Baekhyun bluntly answers.

"Team tactics!" Daehyun yells and the boys form a circle. I stand away from Baekhyun, as far as the string would let me and awkwardly glance around the gymnasium. Not a moment later, I feel a tug.

"Oi, listen in. You are playing, after all." Baekhyun pulls me to close the tight circle. I stand awkwardly between Baekhyun and Luhan. The four boys are at least a head taller than me and I nervously twiddle my thumbs, trying to understand the basketball terms that are spewing out of their mouths rapidly. I am well aware of how my arms are a centimetre away from Baekhyun's bicep.

"Alright." Baekhyun rubs his hands together and the guys stare intently at the floor. "Zelo and Jongup are together as always, they'll be trying to cut through us. Youngguk and Himchan are going to go hardcore on us even though Daehyun isn't with us. Min will be going for those three pointers*. So forget about marking them, we're going to go for zoning. Flank those positions, got it? We can win this game."

"What about her?" Luhan nudges his head towards me.

Baekhyun shoots me a sideward glance. "Oh. Right." He then sighs and rakes a hand through his hair. "Okay. Have you played basketball before?"

"Yes." But I'm not very good at it.

"Do you know what zoning* is?" Baekhyun presses on. I shake my head, expecting for him to groan but he doesn't. "You see the lines that form a trapezium inside the semi-circle?" He points to an area under the hoop. I nod. "There are five points and each of us stands there as a form of defence. I'll be flanking one of the points, the corner one, and because you're attatched to me, we're going to put you in the centre."

I blink, a little lost but nod so I wouldn't have to face frustration.

"What about when you run?" Lay asks Baekhyun.

"Then she'll run with me."

I gulp, about to ask whether he thinks that is a good idea or not but don't bother. It doesn't seem like I have a choice. Baekhyun sighs, obviously thinking the same thing.

"Just try and keep up with me, okay?" Baekhyun asks in a warning tone and I nod. He turns back to our team. "If Zelo and Jongup cut through us, then it's basically five on three. Just do your best, it's a friendly game."

"Isn't this supposed to benefit for the semi-finals?" Luhan grumbles, ruffling his hair.

"Blame the retarded PDH teachers." Youngjae pursues his lips, a scowl on his handsome features. "My assignment is stupid." He then casts a glance at me. "But not as stupid as that."

Luhan and Lay snicker and Baekhyun reaches over my head to punch Youngjae in the arm. "Shut up."

"Alright, gather up, let's get the damn game going." Daehyun's voice booms through the gymnasium.

The next hour consists of sneakers squeaking against the basketball grounds, constant shouting which they call 'communication', and me getting in the way. I fall over every five minutes either from Baekhyun making a run too suddenly, or tripping over my school shoes. The stab of pain at my waist becomes constant and it takes most of my self control to bite back pools of water threatening to spill from my eyes. None of the guys notice; too engaged in the game. After half an hour, I have gotten used to the pain and let Baekhyun drag me around the court.

The opposing team never once lost the smirk on their faces. They always playfully pause to look at me whenever I fall, and it is about the fifth time that I realise they were trying to see if I had given a satisfying view of my . The ball is never passed to me and I don't have to blink twice to know that my team is every bit pissed. They were wearing a frown on their faces from the very first minute of the game. Although they don't turn their glares on me, they would yell furiously at each other on how to get the game on their side, and if I don't know any better, I would have thought they were holding a grudge against each other. Baekhyun never once shoots me a glance; he only growls lowly every time I hit the floor with an 'oomph' and roughly yanks me up on my feet. Baekhyun has long ago stopped mumbling tips to me on how to improve. Even I am disappointed at how bad I am doing.

"Urgh!" I brace myself for the impact as my feet collide with each other again. I have lost count on how many times I have fallen over. I just hope this stupid game would finish soon.

I wait for Baekhyun's hot grip on my shoulder, but it doesn't come. I look up in confusion to see him staring at my lower half. I look down to see my skirt hoisted above my hip, exposing my black shorts that only cover up a quarter of my white thighs. It is only then that I realise all sources of noise have disappeared and I glance up once again. All eyes are on my legs, some with an expressionless face, others what I recognise to be intrigued. Pink explodes on my cheeks and I hastily pull my skirt down, the cleavage disappearing. I awkwardly stand up, repositioning my skirt, my eyes trained on the floor.

Daehyun clears his throat. "Alright, time. Five minutes, then we'll do some drills."

All the boys turn to their bags thrown to the side, grabbing drink bottles and basketballs, leaving Baekhyun and I in a tense atmosphere. I don't look up to see if he is still staring at me and keep my eyes at the floor. After a moment, he walks off to his bag and I sheepishly follow.

He digs his hand in his bag and reveals a plastic water bottle, unscrewing the lid and taking a long drink. I lean my back on the cold wall, wondering what to do next. The bottle hovers into view and I glance at him with a question written over my face.

"Have some," he says simply, nodding to the water bottle. I glance at the bottle, suddenly realising how thirsty I am. An hour of running and falling over definitely drains my energy, especially since I am not used to it. Then I think about his saliva and immediately shake my head. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and shoves the bottle closer to me. "Your lips are cracked." I eye the bottle and Baekhyun mutters something about how nerds shouldn't be so stubborn.

"Look, I'll pour it into your mouth," he says. My eyes widens and my hands goes up to grasp the collar of my shirt, pressing the material on my throat. Baekhyun raises his eyebrows at me. "I'm not going to slip some into your shirt you idiot," he growls. Having enough of the situation, he tilts my head up and pries my mouth open. Before I can protest, he slips the refreshment into my mouth. My mouth closes a little from the shock but thankfully I don't spill any. "There, now you won't faint and be such a bother." Baekhyun screws the lid back on the now empty bottle and chucks it back into the bag.

"Thanks," I say a little hoarsely, still shocked from his act.

"Layups*!" Daehyun yells and I watch as the boys start forming lines a few metres away from the hoop. Youngguk is the first in line and he runs up, taking two wide strides and jumps, slamming the ball through the hoop. The other guys follows his lead. I gulp and glance at Baekhyun to see him eye the boys with his hands on his hips. He pursues his mouth before grabbing his bag and walking over to Daehyun, dragging me along.

"Oi Daehyun, it's going to be pointless. I'm gonna go early, I'll come next Friday."

"Yeah no worries, you shouldn't have bothered today at all," Daehyun replies, casting me a glance.

Baekhyun nods and leads me out of the double doors. The cold air hits us and I breathe in deeply. The corridor is empty, and the windows show that the sky is darkening. I estimate for it to be five thirty in the afternoon. Baekhyun stops and places his bag on the ground, grabbing what looks like a deodorant spray can. He shakes it and sprays himself all around his body. I don't even notice that I haven't looked away. Baekhyun doesn't seem to think much of it.

"Want some?" he asks hesitantly, offering me the spray can.

I shake my head. I don't use deodorant, let alone a guy's. Baekhyun raises one of his eyebrows and leans towards me, sniffing at my shoulder. I move backwards, startled.

"You don't even smell," Baekhyun says confused. He squints his eyes at me. "Are you even sweating?"

"I don't sweat easily." I shrug.

"But we were running around for an hour. . ." he mutters to himself.

I reply him with a blank stare and he shrugs, picking up his bag and turning in the direction of the main gates. We walk in silence for a minute before a question pops into my brain. "Where are we going?" I voice.

"My place," he answers without a moment's hesitation.

"What? Why yours?"

"Because I would like to shower first." He casts me a glance. "And I don't think you desperately need one."

Silence consumes us again and it would have been a very awkward one but I take no notice as I am too preoccupied with the questions swimming inside my head. I am going to enter Baekhyun's house again. . . No, I am going to live with him for two days. To eat, to sleep, to simply be around. From our past encounters, he seems to be very bipolar. I don't know who he is. He is impossibly cruel to the girls he dates for a day, mysterious, bold and confusing during our tutoring lessons, and much nicer today than I would have ever expected of a popular guy. I don't want to start guessing how he would treat me in the next two days.

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________________________________________________
 
 author's note » IT'S BEEN NEARLY A MONTH SINCE I LAST UPDATED OTL WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DAYSSSS?! Seriously guys, I am STRUGGLING to find time! I chose to spend time writing this chapter rather than start my English essay due this week... I even decided to not continue coaching for this term, and maybe the next... but I really need to start doing well in school :c Omg I don't know if it's my internet or AFF but it's really laggy! The words are like five seconds delay omg and I absolutely hate the new AFF. The only thing that I like is the new default font.
 
Anyway, if you were confused about some basketball terms:
 
*Full court = a term that just means a normal basketball game. Half court is a modified game where players only use half the court.
 
*Reffing = A person who is in charge of justifying the game.
 
*Cut = a technique where the ball is bounced through two opposing players.
 
*Three pointers = where a person shoots behind the big semi-circle of the court. Shots behind the line are worth three points, whereas normal shots are only two.
 
*Zoning = a type of defence requiring all five players of the team.
 
*Layups = a technique used for shooting. (note: it is not a ship name for lay and jongup xD)
 
 
I honestly cannot promise you a quick update, so I do hope you won't lose interest in the fanfiction.
Much love,
exoexoexolellel