Proposals

Inexplicable
chapter five
Proposals
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

"Taeyeon!"

I freeze, muscles locked in place as Tiffany opposite me halts her speech and lifts her eyes up to the figure hovering above me. It is a deep, cheery male's voice and I know exactly who it belongs to. Swiping on my fakest smile, I elegantly turn around in my seat to face a tall, lean guy with big brown eyes and fairy-like ears. Park Chanyeol.

"Hello." My voice comes out strong and calm and if people are listening carefully, they could just recognise the leave me alone tone.

"Taeyeon, I've been crushing on you for two years now! Please be my girl!" Chanyeol plops down on the chair under him and I mentally groan. This is the seventh time he's asked me out.

Widening my smile, I try hard to be the polite girl my parents expects of me. "I'm sorry Chanyeol but as I have said many times, I cannot return your affection." So get the hell out of here.

The tall boy's shoulders slump and the corners of his lips slightly tilt down. But his eyes shine brightly because the teacher has not yet entered the class thus Chanyeol still has a bit of time to convince me. "Why not?" he whines. "Is there someone else you fancy?" I press my lips together and turn back to Tiffany who is watching us in amusement. Help me! I mouth to her and she just chuckles and plays with her hair. When I turn back to Chanyeol, he is staring at me intently. "Who is it?" He asks me in a serious tone. "What does he have that I don't?"

"Nothing," I reply without hesitation. "Because I don't fancy anyone. I'd rather focus on my studies."

Chanyeol blinks at me before leaning in closer to me. "So if I were to score higher than the class' average, will you go out with me?"

My eyebrows rise and I stare back into his brown orbs. Chanyeol is the reason why this class' average is so low. But I don't look down on him. Some people just aren't cut out to be smart. "So that means you will focus all of your attention on your studies and not get sidetracked by situations such as the one we are currently in?"

His mouth twitches but he nods defiantly and pumped his fist. "I will score above the class average."

"Alright," I smile in satisfaction. At least he'd stop bothering me with his useless proposals. Chanyeol energetically waves goodbye to me and walks over to his friends. I turn back to Tiffany who is frowning at me. "What?" I ask.

"That was mean." She looks at her nails. "He's not going to score above the class average."

"Did you really think I would have made that deal with him if he would do well?" I huff. Tiffany just smiles and shakes her head.

"Class." The teacher clears and waits for us to cut our chatter. "Alright, turn to page-"

The door flings open and Baekhyun casually walks in, patting down his slightly creased uniform. He runs his hand through his dishevelled hair and realises his top three buttons are undone. I roll my eyes while the girls in our class sigh. "Byun Baekhyun." The teacher's stern voice booms through the classroom. "Why are you late to class?" He is only a few minutes late but teachers like to be punctual.

Baekhyun's eyebrow rises a little as he stares at the teacher. "Sorry Ms Lee." He flashes a smile at her. Jessica, one of the many followers of Baekhyun, appears behind him, her uniform and hair ruffled. My nose twitches in disgust as I catch sight of her skimpy school skirt that barely covers her undergarment.

"Why are you both late to class?" Ms Lee brings her hands on her hips, peering out of her rectangle glasses.

"I left my tie in my locker," Baekhyun lies smoothly as he whips out his tie from his pocket. "Don't want to violate the school's strict uniform rules, right Ms Lee?" Oh, but we all knew exactly what Baekhyun was up to and not even Ms Lee is fooled. He has a terrible talent of lying. He just comes across the best excuses.

Ms Lee reluctantly nods as she can't really fire back at that lie without any valid proof, and turns to scold at Jessica. "And you, Jung Jessica? What is your reason?"

"I. . . I was just. . ." she stutters as she stops trying to fix her hair and glances at Baekhyun for help, who ignores her and starts taking out his schoolbooks at his seat. "I was accompanying Baekhyun to his locker?"

"Oh, but I wasn't notified that Baekhyun had a disability with visiting his locker alone," Ms Lee says in her infamous sarcastic voice. "Do tell me, Jessica. Is there such disability?" The room is silent and I can imagine Jessica's uneasiness. Clearly embarassed, she looks at the floor and shakes her head. Ms Lee smiles victoriously. "Then I'll see you at lunch. Get back to your table." Jessica pouts and trudges to her desk. I glance over at Baekhyun who has his arms behind his head and is leaning back in his seat, a smirk on his face. Honestly, he'd get others into trouble just for his entertainment. Is it morally possible to develop a grudge against a guy whom you've never uttered a single word to before?

 

 

-

 

 

"You guys have to come tomorrow!" Tiffany sighs in exasperation as we walk past clothing shops. "It's a lot of fun, trust me." It is Friday afternoon, the first week of the second school term officially over. We have dumped our school bags at Hyoyeon's place and walked to the mall which isn't usually crowded on a school day. Hyoyeon lives the closest to the mall so it is really convenient for us.

"Hmm, we should go," Hyoyeon thinks aloud.

Kai turns to her incredulously without breaking the rhythm of his footsteps. "You do realise," Kai emphasises, "that in order to attend a pool party, you would actually need to wear a bikini."

Hyoyeon gives him a puzzled look. "So? Maybe it will be fun." 

"Oh my gosh, yes Hyoyeon! Come to the party, and you two!" Tiffany stops walking and screeches at the three of us. Sehun is forced to halt as his hand is clamped neatly onto Tiffany's. "Please, please, please come!" Tiffany begs and shakes Sehun's hand urgently.

"Um, yeah," Sehun says uncertainly while staring at his vibrating hand. "Come, everyone's invited."

Hyoyeon turns to Kai and innocently smiles at him. "Let's go, Kai."

Kai raises his eyebrow and looks at Tiffany. "Think thoroughly about this," he speaks articulately. "Are you sure you want Hyoyeon at your pool party?"

"Hey!" Hyoyeon puts her hands on her hips and narrows her eyes at her boyfriend. "It's not like I am planning to fill the inflatable beach balls with chocolate fondant and so when I 'accidentally' shoot my dad's taser that had somehow ended up in my bikini, the beach balls will explode on half bodies and everyone will be crying because of their ruined sticky hair while I'll be cracking up laughing, maybe accidentally peeing in the pool in the process-" Kai clamps his hand over and shakes his head.

Tiffany blinks at Hyoyeon who is growling at Kai, and steps towards Sehun as if using him as a shield. "You better look after your girlfriend," Tiffany says to Kai who just sighs. She turns to me with a bright smile. "You're coming, right Tae?"

I raise my eyebrow. "Is that even a question?"

Tiffany pouts. "You've never even been to a party. You need to see how fun it is!" My bemused expression doesn't waver and so Tiffany turns to Sehun and shakes his body. "Baby, make Taeyeon come!"

Sehun groans and repeats "okay!" until Tiffany stops shaking him. "Taeyeon, just come."

I smirk at him. "That's a pretty sick invite, considering how easily your girlfriend co-erced you." Sehun scowls. And to think he is the second most popular guy in the school. I turn to Tiffany to save Sehun from his punishment. "Sorry Tiff." I shrug and put an apologetic face on. "You know I don't do parties."

Besides even if, for whatever reason, I decide to come I wouldn't be able to because I had to tutor someone for two hours. But I don't say this aloud, no doubt Kai will burst out laughing again. He's never getting over it.

"You're no fun." Tiffany sticks her tongue at me. She lets go of Sehun's hand and grabs Hyoyeon's wrist. "We're going bikini shopping." Eager expressions cross both Sehun and Kai's face and Tiffany rolls her eyes. "Without you two, erts," and the two girls stalk off.

Kai stares at their retreating figures. "Can we go follow them?"

"Um, bikinis aren't for guys," I pipe up in an annoyed voice. "The men swimwear is in the other direction." Kai rolls his eyes at me and hold his hands up to say fine fine.

"I want bubble tea." Sehun sniffs and starts walking in the direction of the food court. Kai and I share a shrug and follow him. Bubble tea is an addiction to Sehun; if he doesn't have at least a bubble tea in three days, one little move and he's off into his pissed state. The only thing that prolongs the period in which Sehun survives without bubble tea is his other addiction: Hwang Tiffany.

Sehun orders a vanilla milk tea, Kai has a honey milk tea and I, a mocha milk tea. We sit down in tall cushioned stools set around high tables the bubble tea shop provides and sip on our drinks. Silence envelope us and after a few seconds, it becomes awkward. Kai opens his mouth to say something but someone else beats him to the job.

"Taeyeon!" We swivel our heads to the approaching figure. A boy in our school uniform rushes up to our table and grins happily at me. He has blond hair with a fringe that is messily combed and high cheekbones. "Taeyeon! What a surprise!"

I grit my teeth and force a small smile, perfectly aware that Kai and Sehun make no effort to hide their smirk. "Tao," I nod my head politely. He is one of the few boys that try many times to convince me to be their girlfriend. Tao and Chanyeol are the stubborn ones who won't take no as an answer and so they keep asking me from time to time. I am getting really tired of it. 

Tao hoists himself up on the remaining stool in between Kai and Sehun so he can stare directly at me. And boy, he has an intense stare that makes people feel really uneasy. "Taeyeon, are you free on Sunday?"

Urgh, does this boy ever stop? "Yes I am," I reply without hesitation. Most people would have lied to get themselves out of these horrible situations but I prefer to not be a coward and face my problems with honesty.

Tao grins energetically. "How about Donny's Pizza Place? 7 pm, just you and me?"

I have already formed my rejection in my head but Sehun interrupts me. "Of course. Taeyeon will be delighted to go on this very special date." Sehun grins evilly and I shoot him a glare. I turn back to Tao who is smiling giddily and am about to tell him what I really think about this date, when Kai decides to ruin everything.

"In fact," Kai gives Tao a grin, "Taeyeon was anticipating this date for so long." My eyes widen as Kai continues. "She just wouldn't stop whining to us, 'Oh why isn't Tao asking me out? How long do I have to wait for?' It is really annoying. "

Surprise and shock crosses Tao's face and I know I have to put a stop to this. I open my mouth, "No-"

"Day and night, Monday to Sunday," Sehun cuts me off as he rolls his eyes to prove his point. He then nudges Tao and smirks at him as if they were the best of friends. "Thank god you've finally done it. She was just a little away from driving us insane. Taeyeon here just wouldn't. Shut. Up." Beside me, Kai chokes out a snicker as disbelief and mortification locks up my muscles.

"I'm so glad you feel the same way as I do, Kim Taeyeon." Tao giggles happily and I cringe. "I promise I'll be the best on the date! I'll make sure you'll really enjoy yourself, I won't back out or hesitate from holding hands or giving you a kiss-"

"Okay, hold up!" I intervene. This is getting way out of hand. "First of all, I dont like y-"

I don't have a chance to say anymore because the song 'kwiyomi' - which I find absolutely painful to hear - sounds. Tao jumps and hastily searches his pockets whilst Kai and Sehun raise their eyebrows. Tao swipes out his phone and presses it to his ear. "Hello? Mum? Mum! I got myself a date!" I groan, Kai and Sehun smirking amusingly at each other. "Yeah, okay, love you Mum, bye!" Tao ends the call and grins at me. "I gotta go, sorry I can't stay for long. I'll pick you up on Sunday. Love you, Tae-boo!" He jumps off his chair and waves at me, paying no attention to my dropped jaw.

"Tae-boo!?" Sehun repeats incredulously and the two boys erupt into laughter. I am still in shock and watch them clutch their stomachs and slam their hands on the table, tears leaking out of their eyes.

"You two!" I snap and glare at them. "What the heck did you do?!"

"We. . . hooked. . . you up," Kai manages to gasp out but that sentence only makes the boys laugh even harder and they slap each other a high-five. I wave my hands in the air as I try to think of a way to release the tension in my body and settle with a loud growl. I claw at my hair as Kai and Sehun gradually inhale more air.

"Don't fret," Sehun pants and smirks at me. "You and Tao will make a great couple."

"The best," Kai smiles. "So relax. . . Tae-boo." That sets them off again and I scowl. I jab them in the shoulder while repeating 'Shut up.'

"Ow, ow okay, alright!" They groan and rub their forearm, though their smirks are still visible on their faces. I can deal with the dread for tomorrow's tutoring lesson, but going on a date with a really annoying and stubborn guy? Ugh. Sometimes I really do despise Kai and Sehun.

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________________________________________________