Makeover

Inexplicable
chapter fifteen
Makeover
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A sharp pain vibrates through my hips and my eyes reluctantly open. I blink blearily as I try to adjust my eyes. A white wall stares back at me. The tug comes again. I turn around and squint, ready to scold at whoever interrupted my sleep. A lean figure is sitting a metre away, his hand on a thick black band, staring expectantly at me.

"Get up," comes his cold words as he, for the third time, yanks at the band.

"Ow! Okay okay," I say grumpily, rubbing my eyes and letting out another yawn. I sit up and and try to figure out how my room had turned so white and modern-looking. I frown at the white blanket draped over my legs, and the empty space that stretches beyond the bed. Then I realise I am not in my room at all.

"I'm going to clean myself," the boy says in an irritated tone. "Get off the bed."

Baekhyun. I am in Baekhyun's room. In Baekhyun's house. I shiver, the room suddenly feeling cold to me. A sharp pain at my belly.

"O-okay," I stutter and awkwardly crawl off the bed. Baekhyun doesn't give me another glance as he makes his way to his bathroom, me trailing behind him. My eyes look up to see his hair messy, though it doesn't really look any different to his daily tousled hair. His shirt is crumpled and I gawk at the fact he had slept in his jeans. Wasn't that uncomfortable? 

I intend to turn my back on him as Baekhyun brushes his teeth but I can't help and stare at my hair in horror. I never really had a serious case of bed hair, but this morning, it looks like I got into a fight and an opponent had their hands in my hair for a while. I painfully - and awkwardly - try to comb the jungle of tangles with my fingers. I frown at the fact that Baekhyun doesn't offer a comb. But then again, maybe he has that cool, popular image to maintain.

It is an uncomfortable five minutes of me having to cross my eyes in order for me to see some knots near the top of my hair when Baekhyun clears his throat and waves a white toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste. I look up at him cautiously to see his blank face, before slowly taking it from his grip. He then moves back to lean against the drawer and starts tousling his hair - as if it can look any more messy. I walk over to his sink and prepare to brush my teeth. Baekhyun waits until I place the toothbrush and toothpaste to the side before walking out the bathroom. I give myself one more glance in the mirror before the black band tugs at my bruised waist. I hastily run my fingers through my hair, clearing the last few knots.

We descend a set of steps and walk through a number of rooms. The sunlight seeps in through different coloured curtains, giving all the rooms an airy atmostphere. We pass a few maids that are dusting furniture and I wonder how early they get up everyday to do these pointless chores. Then I realise I don't know how early in the day it is. I search for a clock as we pass a modern-looking room. My eyes hit a large analog clock hanging high on the bare wall. Twenty past nine. We walk out of the room just as I was wonder how late I slept in. I usually wake up three hours before this time.  It isn't long before we enter the same dining room that we ate in last night. The beige curtains are hung onto the side revealing the sun through the windows. I love how it contrasts the red wallpaper.  Like the evening before, Baekhyun walks to the speaker, turning his head to me.

"What do you want for breakfast?" he asks. His tone is brisk and at first I don't say anything. He raises an eyebrow and gestures for me to answer. I awkwardly clear my throat.

"Um. . . anything?"

He rolls his eyes and presses the red button. "Jay, a Saturday breakfast plus a premium one." He then turns and walks over to sit. I follow thinking if Baekhyun's menu has a breakfast, lunch and dinner dedicated to each day of the week. It probably does.

We don't say anything as we wait for the food and I try not to think the situation awkward. After all, things are only awkward if you think it is. 

I suddenly remember that it is in fact, a Saturday, and that I am due to tutor Baekhyun soon. I don't know if he still wants it, seeing that I won't be spending just two hours with him, but in fact, the next forty-eight hours. I fiddle with my thumbs, debating whether to ask him or not. 

Wait, I'm the tutor, not him. What am I afraid of?

"Do you want me to tutor you today?" I ask, glad that my voice comes out strong.

He looks at me, then shrugs. "Yeah sure." I bite my lip. I had hoped he would say no. But then again, what else would we do in that time? I continue to scan the patterned wallpaper when another thing hits me. I don't have my textbooks; how am I supposed to provide him work? I frown, and as if he is reading my thoughts, he speaks up. "But you don't have anything with you."

I cross my legs and look up at the ceiling, trying to think of a way. Just then, the doors open with a click and the maids come in holding with plates of food. Bacon, poached and scrambled eggs, toast, margarine, waffles with maple syrup and strawberries on the side, breadrolls and croissants. The girls also set down a jug of orange juice and milk. They timidly place down a cup of steaming hot coffee in front of me, with three cubes of sugars on the saucer. When all arms are out of the way, I am appalled at how immaculate everything looks. It is like they have a serious case of OCD.

Except it turns out to be one of the best breakfasts I ever had. This time, I don't feel as rushed as I was last night; I take my time savouring the morning delight. Soon, Baekhyun and I both decide we are full around the same time and so we both get up. Baekhyun stops at the door and turns to me. "So, skip tutoring this week?"

I shrug. "Yeah why not."

"Oh and just because we're put together for the assignment, doesn't mean I have to act as your host."

I frown, puzzled. "What are you trying to say?"

"Don't expect that I'm going to try and entertain you." Without another glance, he turns and walks out, tugging me along. I chew over his words. What is the point of him saying that? Is he trying to tell me that he doesn't want to talk to me, or the other way around? Or that he'd choose his boredom over mine?

We wander through a few rooms before Baekhyun stops at one. It is one of those modern-looking rooms, with white marble walls and tiles, black leather lounges, a glass table and a plasma flat-screen attached on the wall. I follow him to one of the lounges and carefully sit down as far from him as the band would allow after he collapses on one end. He has his head on the short backrest and his back bent over the seat - a position that really damages the spine but I don't say anything. His hand lands on the armrest and only then do I notice some buttons are clipped onto the leather. He presses one and instantly, the television clicks on, displaying a nature channel. I can't stop the scowl at how luxurious the mansion is from spreading across my lips. Baekhyun flicks through the options before he settles on an action movie.

I'm not interested in action movies and I definitely haven't seen the one playing before me. It looks like it is about agents on a mission with all sorts of weird weapons. How cliche. 

I am not sure what to do. I don't think I would be able to keep still for who knows how long and I feel a little sleepy. Even though I know very well it is quite rude, I hoist my legs up to sit in a crossed-legged position and lean my head to the side, my eyes slowly closing.

I don't know if he does it to annoy me, but not a second after I let my head hit the backrest, Baekhyun turns the volume up to a very loud level. I try to ignore it but find my desire to sleep go. I grumble but don't want him to have the satisfaction. I don't move, instead, find myself thinking why I haven't seen Ji or her husband around yet.

 

 

-

 

 

A grandfather clock tells me it is four in the afternoon when Baekhyun shocks me to tears. 

"Wait wait wait," I say and shut my eyes, then open them to stare up at him in complete surprise. "You want me to go to a party?!"

He arches an eyebrow. "Why are you making such a big deal about it?"

Because I've never been to one, let alone a popular party.

"I-it's just I don't have anything to wear," I cover up. It isn't a total lie, but the better way to phrase it is I don't know what to wear.

"Don't you have anything?" Baekhyun stops then corrects himself. "Oh right, you're a nerd. Let me guess, you haven't been to one?"

I don't answer and shift my position on the cushioned stool. Once the action movie ended I couldn't take the boredom anymore. I had demanded to read books. Surprisingly Baekhyun led me to a library a few rooms across the one we had spent two hours in without so much as giving me a glance, and yes they have their own library. It was double the size of Tiffany's, and I literally cried when I saw the towering shelves of books. I grabbed a few that sounded nice and even recommended some to Baekhyun when he showed a small interest in reading. Of course, I was really surprised when he actually sat down opposite me and starting to read the books I picked out for him. We spent a very shocking solid four hours reading.

I had thought all was well, and all was well, until Baekhyun dumped an imaginary bucket of ice cold water on me. 

"Well, you can't just go in my clothes, so let's go." Baekhyun shuts the book and stands up, hoisting his arms up into a stretch.

"Go where?" I asked, placing my book on the glass table and keeping my eyes lowered until he drops his arms down, lowering his shirt.

"To buy you some decent clothes."

"Wait, what?" My eyes widen as I reluctantly get pulled out of the massive library. "I don't exactly have money right now."

"It's fine," comes his bored reply.

"Hold on, I don't want you to buy me clothes."

Baekhyun stops in his tracks and turns around, making me halt cautiously. He bends down so we are at eye level, his dark eyes intimidatingly staring into mine. I feel a small tingle of nervousness in my stomach. "Listen," he says in a dangerous low tone, "I don't want to miss this party just because you don't have the suitable clothes. Now I'm going to buy you some clothes and you're going to wear them tonight, and then we'll both have a nice time. Alright?" He continues to stare at me with those cold eyes before turning back around. I blink furiously, not sure if my goosebumps are from the slight chill of the afternoon, or the fear Baekhyun has caused inside of me.

Hang on. . . Did he just threaten me to use his money to buy myself clothes?

I don't know what type of clothes he has in mind as we get in a sleek black Mercedes. Baekhyun names a shopping mall and the chauffeur drives us there in less than ten minutes. I am guessing Baekhyun wants me to wear what the girls in our school would; tight, slim dresses and pairs of strapped high heels, or strapless revealing midriffs along with skirts that barely cover the backside. I would honestly grab a butcher knife and hack at the black band, and face a big fat zero than live that nightmare.

I chew my lip in anticipation as we enter the mall. I haven't been to this particular mall before and just by looking at the clothes and posture of passerby, I know it is for the wealthy. Granite tiles display a very spacious area with lounges and plants neatly placed around. Elevators can be seen at the far end of the mall. I gasp at the shops displaying the most expensive brands a company can offer. Coach, Fendi, Burberry. Each retail store has glass windows, revealing displays of the products. 

Baekhyun skips all of these stores and we ascend to the next level. It is obvious that this whole floor is dedicated to teenagers. Prada, Marc Jacobs, Chanel. It is a girl's best dream. Baekhyun glances around before walking to Topshop. The clothing here aren't revealing nor tatty. They are obviously made of high quality material and I have to admit, they look really astonishing.

Baekhyun glances at his watch. "We have three hours till the party. You'll also have to have make-up on." I cast him a shocked look. "What, you don't wear make-up to parties?"

"Haven't been to one." I shrug, no longer afraid to admit it. "And on top of that, I only wear mascara."

Baekhyun rakes his hand through his hair. "Fine, we'll have to make time to go to some salon." His look is filled with annoyance.

Whatever. Not my fault I decide to spend more time on my studies rather than my face.

"Can't I just turn up with no make-up?"

He shoots me a look before scoffing. "Not if you'd want to be the laughing stock tonight."

At this moment, a girl wearing a flowery dress floats towards us. Her black lanyard shows she is a staff here. "Hello," she greets in a high-pitched, energetic voice and offers us a warm smile. "Can I help you with anything?"

Baekhyun glances at me before deciding. "Actually yes." All traces of the annoyed Baekhyun is gone. Instead, his hand is shoved in his pocket and his weight is shifted on one leg. One side of his mouth is tilted up in an amusing manner. "We have a party tonight and she needs something to wear."

The girl looks at me and you would think she would give me a quick once over and her eyes would then return to the supposedly good-looking guy next to me, but instead, her smile widens. It's sort of creepy. "I see." She is about to say something else when her eyes trails to my clothes, and then the black band clips onto our waists. There is obvious confusion on her face.

And then I realise I am still wearing Baekhyun's clothes. Out in the open. My face must have looked horrific and Baekhyun must have noticed it, for he was the one who spoke. "We have to stay like this, it's an assignment for school." He flashes her a grin. "And she's borrowing my clothes." I feel my cheeks reddening and look away in an attempt to conceal it.

"I see," she says again after a light chuckle and gives us her pretty smile. "What kind of outfit are you looking for?"

Baekhyun shrugs. "Anything really. This shop can offer anything amazing." He flashes her another grin. And only does it occur to me that he may be indirectly flirting with her. I scoff at the thought.

"Why thank you." The girl's eyes curve into crescents. "Are we looking for dark colours, or brighter ones?"

"Dark," Baekhyun answers immediately.

We spend the next ten minutes making a full rotation of the shop, with the girl picking out dresses, shirts and pants, pointing out all the good aspects that make every outfit seem it would be perfect for me tonight. Then comes the time for me to try them all on, and at first, Baekhyun and I hesitate, unsure of what to do with us two attatched to each other. The girl notices and she reassures us by saying that their change rooms has curtains instead of doors, solving the situation.

Whenever I'm in a fitting room, I'd always take a minute to inspect my body once undressed. I'll admit I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny either. I've never bothered to work out; I just stick to eating healthy. Of course, I'll need to burn whatever I take in, and so I have parts of my body where I wish that it will suddenly turn slimmer.

Today, I try to ignore my body and slip into the first outfit. Maroon shorts over black stockings with army green boots, and a matching army green jacket over a black singlet. I like it.

I pull the curtain back. I feel a little self-conscious as their eyes trail up and down my body. The girl nods her head with a big grin and Baekhyun gives a 'not bad' look. 

The next twenty minutes are spent with me trying the rest of the clothes on. I think Baekhyun got a little bored and I can tell he is refraining from telling me to hurry up. I pay no heed to it; I love trying on the clothes.

In the end, all three of us agree on very dark pink-purple strapped dress. It is a bit too revealing for my liking, but it is a pretty dress; I can hardly say no. We - well, Baekhyun - buys strapped black heels and a long thick gold necklace to complete the outfit. I gawk at the price and wonder how I am going to repay him. We thank the girl for all her time and effort, and she wishes us a good time at the party with her signature bright smile.

We have two hours until the party. Baekhyun drags me into the salon, even though I am whining about the price and tells him it will probably take me more than ten years to repay him at the rate of my income. I then remember that I am not going to this party by choice and start demanding for a discount. 

"Just shut up," Baekhyun snaps and shoots me a glare. "You don't have to repay me, okay? Just get through everything."

I don't say anything and observe as Baekhyun lightens the cranky-looking woman up working in an expensive-looking salon. She looks like she is in her mid-fifties. After one more smile from Baekhyun, the lady sits me down in a black chair and tilts my head down into a sink. Baekhyun hovers above us. I wince at her sharp nails scraping against my scalp. I wonder how she is going to finish her job in an hour.

After she thoroughly - and painfully - washes my hair, she takes out a comb and scissors. "Whoa whoa." I stop her and she gives me an annoyed look. "Why are you going to cut my hair?"

"Because it's terrible," she answers bluntly.

"What? I like my hair!"

"Just let her do what she wants," Baekhyun says in a bored tone. "It's not your money anyway."

I grumble after realising Baekhyun isn't referring 'her' to me and watch as snippets of my hair fall onto the floor.

Goodbye hair. You served me well.

While the lady is going crazy with the scissors, another girl comes and prepares tubes and bottles of cosmetics on the desk in front of the mirror. The cranky lady gives one last snip of my hair before she takes out a hairdryer and turns it to the highest speed. I shut my eyes as my wet hair flies in different directions. During the times where I allow myself a peek, I see Baekhyun staring at my hair in amusement with his hands tucked in his jeans.

Five minutes later, my hair is curled and tousled into a somewhat stylish way. I think I looked quite nice, despite the shortness of my hair. When the lady is satisfied with what she has done, she spins the chair around and pushes it back so I am right up against the desk. She begins applying layers of foundation to my face. As I stare into the face of the woman opposite me, she doesn't look cranky at all; instead she is totally focused on getting my make-up perfect. She looks like she really enjoys her job.

The not-so-cranky woman applies the last bit of eyeliner before turning me around so I can see what she has done. I gasp. My face is exactly what you would find at any night party. Outlined eyes with eyeshadow that matches my dress, matching lipstick and a light blush. My eyebrows are also done immaculately. What ruined the image were the male clothes I am wearing.

"Thank you," I whisper and the lady takes a moment to accept my gratitude, before ushering me off the seat. Baekhyun pays the outrageous money and we leave the salon. As we make our way out of the mall, I try to keep my head down as I know I look peculiar with an amazingly done face and hair, but not so amazing clothes.

"I don't get why you spend a whole hour on hair make-up just to look the same as any other girl," Baekhyun comments in a nonchalant tone. I raise an eyebrow. Is he implying that I look like one of those immature girls who he hooks up daily? 

I roll my eyes, trying to shake off the thought that maybe I do look like I want to impress boys like him, when really I want to feel pretty for myself.

His chaffeur drives us back to his mansion without giving me a glance - thankfully. I am bewildered at how the lady has me done in an hour, as we still have a fair bit before the party. Baekhyun rummages through his wardrobe and takes out a black t-shirt. Instead of going into the bathroom to change, we shut his bedroom door and slip into our outfits. Baekhyun goes first, and when I turn around, I hate to admit he is fairly handsome. Although I've seen him in his jeans all day, he still makes it look like it is the most stylish pair out there. His shirt contrasts with his skin which makes him all the more handsome, or the more suitable word, hot.

I shake my thoughts out and stop myself from staring any longer. He is busy tousling his hair (again) so I don't think he notices my hesitation. I slip into the dress and heels as fast as I can, weaving the pretty material under the black band. Baekhyun turns around to gives me a once over, and freezes, slowly taking the sight in. Goosebumps cover my skin. I want him to stop staring so the weird feelings in my stomach will go away, but I don't want him to stop because it makes me feel that I actually look pretty for once. Tiffany has always been the more beautiful, elegant, attention-attracting one and I have grown used to it.

Trying to ignore my stomach, I walk to his mirror and pretend to fix my hair, when really I don't know what the heck I am doing with the already perfect curls.

"It only takes ten minutes to get to his house, so we have half an hour before we gotta go." Baekhyun finally breaks the silence.

I turn around to give him a confused look. "Doesn't the party start in fifteen minutes?"

An amused smile plays at Baekhyun's lips. "It started an hour ago."

"What?!"

He chuckles. "Being the coolest guy, you turn up to a party late. That's when you receive all the attention."

I raise an eyebrow when he says 'coolest guy' and the corner of his mouth jerks up. "Okay, so what do we do now?" I ask.

"I'm hungry," he says simply before marching out of the room. We slip through a few rooms before we bump into his mother.

"Oh!" Ji's expression is surprised, before it turns into shock as she takes in the sight of me. "Oh my, is that. . . Taeyeon?"

I offer her a shy smile. "Hi Ji."

"Oh gosh, what happened to you?" She gestures up and down my figure. "Why are you dressed like this... oh let me guess, Baekhyun is forcing you to a party isn't he?"

Her son shrugs in a bored way. "Nothing else better to do."

"And what, you're going to leave poor Taeyeon lost when you're all drunk?"

I startle while Baekhyun frowns. "Isn't she going to get drunk as well? And I know how to get back to the car Mum." 

Ji just shakes her head before turning her attention to me. "Taeyeon, darling, you're not going to get drunk are you?"

"D-drunk?" I stutter. "I'm still underaged."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes beside me as Ji turns to him. "See how Taeyeon is so sensible? She knows what's legal and what's illegal. You should learn from her."

"Nothing's going to go wrong tonight, okay Mum?" Baekhyun sighs exasperatedly and I immediately regret my stupidity. "Nothing's happened at the other parties."

"There's always a first time, Baekhyun," Ji says in a stern voice.

"Whatever," Baekhyun grumbles. "We need to go."

"Deliver him home safely Taeyeon!" Ji calls as Baekhyun drags me away. "And don't get drunk no matter how good looking the guy is!"

A dumbfound look crosses my face as we disappear into a room. I don't say anything as Baekhyun leads the way, obviously peeved. He throws open the double doors and walks into the slightly chilly night. I gulp as we enter the black Mercedes, not knowing what to expect at the party.

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
____________________________________________________________________
 
 author's note » Hello. how have you all been? I'm sorry my updates are popping up once a month nowadays . . .
I made a site where anyone who is going through rough times can talk to me, and also share their situation to others who can read and learn. Don't be afraid to talk to me, I'm always here if you need help. >> Your Story <<
 
 
Please please please check them out, subscribe and upvote (?) 
And please, tell me what you think of my story so far . . . and do tell me what you think is going to happen during the party ;) 
Much love,
exoexoexolellel