A New Assignment

Inexplicable
chapter twenty-five
A New Assignment

 

 

"This place isn't even nice."

Tiffany gasps a little too loudly and whips her head around, eyes frantically searching for the waitress before smacking Hyoyeon on the shoulder. "You shouldn't say that when we're inside! Besides, I told you everything would be in smaller portions."

"Why did we come here, out of all places?" Hyoyeon sulks down at her table water. "You know too well how late my family eats dinner. I might just die in the next hour."

"We can go around to the pojangmacha[1] down the street; I saw them setting up as we came in," I pipe in.

At this Hyoyeon sits up straighter and her eye twinkles. "So what are we ordering, girls? What are we going to talk about? When will we be finished?"

Tiffany rolls her eyes and passes on our orders to the waitress. As the latter takes away our menus, Tiffany turns back around, a smile playing at her lips. "So, Taeyeon, you haven't been hanging out with us for quite a while." I hum in response. "But surely you've been seeing a certain someone over the weekend. A certain someone, namely Baekhyun." 

My eyes flicker up at Tiffany, then to Hyoyeon, and back to her. "Actually, I'm pretty sure I was dying on my bed." 

Hyoyeon frowns, tapping her broken nails at her cheek. "What about the week before?" 

I pursue my lips, trying my best to recall. "Ah, I think that was the week we had to cancel the lesson. Don't ask me why, I'm still trying to find out."

Hyoyeon and Tiffany share a look, a set of widening eyes and the jerk of eyebrows. Almost freakishly, their heads whip back to me at the same time, and the two prop their elbows on the table as if I am under some form of investigation. 

"So let us get this straight: you've shared what, five lessons with Baekhyun so far?"

I gnaw at my lip in consideration. "Three?"

In full surprise, both Tiffany and Hyoyeon's eyes bulge. "Three?!" I sheepishly smile and nod. "Nuh-uh, that is not okay. I barely pass my tests and even I can see something totally wrong here. The exams are in two weeks Taeyeon, two!" 

"I'm pretty sure you told us you were in charge for ten weeks," Hyoyeon rubs the salt in deeper. 

"Are you two avoiding each other or something?" Tiffany her head to the side. 

"Well I definitely didn't force my sickness to overwhelm me four days ago," which has me thinking, is Baekhyun aware that I couldn't make it to the most recent lesson because of my health? "and the weekend before that, Mum told me to not go. Oh and he did call me the night before to-"

Hyoyeon and Tiffany's eyes grow wider.

"What?! You have his number?" Tiffany hisses in her overexaggerating manner. 

I bite my lip, dreading for what I'm about to go through now that I have accidentally revealed something I really shouldn't have. "He has my number, I don't have his."

"How did he get it?" Hyoyeon asks.

My eyes shift to Tiffany, and she shakes her head. "No, I didn't give him your number-" As my eyebrows raise in emphasis, realisation replaces her confused frown. "Ah."

Beside her, Hyoyeon blinks on. "What?"

Tiffany turns to her and mouths 'Sehun' as if I wasn't here directly in front of her. Hyoyeon nods her head with a big "Oh" and the two of them turn back to me. 

"So, what are you going to do?" 

I sigh, letting my head fall into my open palm. "I'm not really sure. I do have prepared material but I will need to adjust to pick the pace up. But that's not the biggest issue here. If I can't reach him myself, what I plan or don't plan doesn't matter."

"Maybe you should extend your two hour sessions," Tiffany sniffs. 

"We could, but I don't think Baekhyun would want that." 

Hyoyeon snorts. "It doesn't matter if he wants it or not. The boy bloody needs it, it's his grades that's got everyone so fuzzed over about." Tiffany and I's mouth fall open at Hyoyeon. "What? Am I right?"

"Yeah, yeah you are," I answer, lifing my arm off the table as the waitress comes by with our order. 

"Wow, nice job Hyoyeon," Tiffany remarks.

"Thanks?" 

"But yeah, you should talk to Baekhyun about it," Tiffany turns to me, "or to his mum at least. You said she was super friendly right?"

"Mmm." 

"Here." Tiffany unlocks her phone. "I'll send you his number. Call him, don't text. He'll never text back even if his life depends on it." Before I can reply, my phone vibrates with Tiffany's message, and my best friend winks at me. "You're welcome."

I sigh again, running a hand through my hair. "Thanks Tiff, I'll see what I'll do." 

Tiffany takes a long sip at her drink, before smacking her lips together in satisfaction. "Alright, now I have to tell you two about these stores that popped up last week with the cutest styles in history..."

 

 

-

 

 

"Hey."

The familiar voice halts me in my steps in the direction of returning home on a Friday afternoon. Purposely sticking by around the school's boulevard so I can avoid the school crowd in their hurry to escape the area and start their celebration of the weekend, I haven't quite reached the school gates yet before I turn around to the inscrutable face of Baekhyun. 

"Hi?" I manage to return, shifting my coat closer around my frame. 

Baekhyun bites his lip as if hesitant to voice what he wants to say, before relenting. "Are you busy right now?"

If Baekhyun calling for me after everyone has left the school grounds isn't peculiar enough, this question definitely takes me by surprise. "What?" 

"Daehyun's been wanting to ask you something, but he never got to it."

I pause, remembering Daehyun about to ask me for help last week, before I fell ill rather violently. "Ah yeah, do you know what he wants?"

"Our basketball team needs a bit of tuning before we can properly play at a district level," Baekhyun pushes his hands into his school pants, his rigid composure relaxing as he talks, "and the concern doesn't lie within our individual skills or our team cooperation. It's more to do with an analytical response." 

"What do you mean?" I frown to express my consideration, though really, I am impressed with how many words Baekhyun is putting into his sentences. Perhaps his passion of this sport is his comfort area, and he is able to converse without any faults or hostile attitudes with someone of an unpopular status such as myself. 

"Daehyun's our captain, and he's also our coach. He's got the most experience out of all of us and trains each session. But sometimes, there's too much going on that it's hard for one person to keep track of everything." Baekhyun's eyes had strayed away to the buildings, but they now return to me, his black orbs staring intimidatingly, sending shivers through my coat. "I guess he wants to ask you to help him." Baekhyun then pauses, before adding, "And he said something about only if you wanted to and had the time for it, or whatever." 

"Basketball?" I say with a cautious tone. "I don't know anything about basketball."

"I know. That's why I have no idea what's wrong with Daehyun and why he's asking you of all people." 

At this, my pondering expression flips to a narrowed gaze. Harsh. "Where is he now?"

Baekhyun rotates his head, cracking the bones in his neck loudly. "In the gymnasium. Coming?" He doesn't wait for my answer before he starts back into the school yard, his shoes making loud echos on the footpath. My scowl deepens, albeit I am sure Daehyun wouldn't have come off nearly as rude as Baekhyun has. And to think that a talk of basketball could cause Baekhyun's curt attitude to dissipate. I should really stop giving Baekhyun chances. 

Watching his figure retreat, I hesitate at the thought of following him. Why is he heading towards the gymnasium? Why can't Daehyun come out so we can talk out here? It takes me a few moments to figure out that it is indeed, a Friday afternoon, and that the school's champion basketball team usually hold their trainings at the end of the schooling week. The memory of my first visit on one of their sessions, uninvited I might add, re-enters my mind again, causing humiliation to shrivel my insides. Something else also shifts into my memory bank.

"Wait," I call out, and catch up to Baekhyun, my short strides struggling to match his long ones. "I need to talk to you about our tutoring sessions." 

Baekhyun stops, his expression slack as if he had forgotten all about it. "Oh yeah, that." He eyes me, "You were sick over the weekend?"

I don't know why, but his stone stare seems to blame me for such a sin and makes me want to shrink away from him in apology. Instead, I lift my chin and thin my lips to hide my fear. "Yes. I'm aware that we've skipped a lot of lessons, and with that, a lot of progress. The choice is all yours, but if you'd like I can stay longer on Saturdays to cover more content, or we can distribute it throughout the week." I pause, counting in my head. "And I'll remind you that we have a little less than two weeks to spare." 

His eyes twitch, as if he really wants me out of his face right now, and though it wasn't particularly clear, his breath seemed to harden. After a couple of seconds, he resumes walking, and only after he hears me leap after him, he replies, "I'll think about it." He then glances over his shoulder at me, his expression a little more gentle in contrast to his irritation. "I'll call you or something." 

This leaves me speechless until we reach the gymnasium doors, where Baekhyun roughly pushes the weight so that the door sweeps to its maximum arc, allowing me enough time to slip through before I have to hold the door for myself. The bouncing of balls resonate loud and clear, instantly reminding me of the afternoon I had first interrupted the team's training, where I had slipped and tripped and fallen many times on my behind, sending me tumbling into a void of embarrassment I definitely do not want to relive.

Daehyun spots me first, and he runs over, a big grin of his face. I try not to return the stares as some of the balls stop hitting the floor. I can recognise most of the team in their singlets, defining a few by their printed numbers on their backs. 

"Taeyeon, hey, so Baekhyun did find you." As Daehyun comes to a stop in front of me, Baekhyun waves his hand up and down and trods towards the changeroom. Daehyun stares after him confused before turning back to me. "He didn't force you to come, right? I was hoping I was clear about that."

I blink twice. "Uh no, not really. He didn't specify what's happening though, something about helping out with the team?"

"Ah, that boy really needs to listen harder." 

I roll my eyes. "Tell me about it." 

"I'll explain everything, here, drop your things onto the bench." 

After Daehyun sends the team in a drill, he throws on a hoodie over his basketball singlet and sits down next to me. He lightly brushes his fringe away from his eyes. 

"So, one of our biggest tournament is approaching, and our team is almost up to scratch, but, there's something admist our team play that I can't put my finger on and I'll bet it'll be posing as a major weakness against strong opponents." His eyes flicker away from his boys to me, pausing. "Are you with me so far?" Daehyun continues after I nod, "I'm wondering whether you're willing to help us out here. The tournament is just after our exams, which is why our sport co-ordinator grants us permission to compete, but I understand if you'd rather invest your time in studying instead." 

In the corner of my eye, Baekhyun walks out of the boys' changeroom, clad in the uniform exposing the length of his arms, and I try my best to keep my attention on Daehyun. "I'm fine with any form of assistance." I reflect on my words, images of tripping over my feet and falling hard onto the ground during a practice match not quite finding its way out of my head yet. "Well, maybe not any form..."

Daehyun breaks into a smile and laughs openly. "Don't worry, I won't ask you to physically demonstrate anything." He then tilts his head. "Unless, your opinion asks for it."

I give him a wry smile. "I surely hope not. I'm okay with giving you guys a hand; I'll learn the rules of the game as soon as I can."

Daehyun's bright smile appears but is swiped off his face as worry crosses his features. "Are you sure, Taeyeon? You seem to grant everyone's request, and I'm sure you do have your own activities to attend to." 

My eyes stray to Baekhyun before I can stop them to see him landing a shot near the half-way line of the court. Around him, his team whistles and hoot, and a few attempt to try and match him. Beside me, Daehyun stands up and yell at the boys to keep at their drill, reminding them not to slack off before he makes them run laps. I cringe at the thought of getting the boys in trouble, probably being on their bad sides already, but none of them give another glance our way. 

"I'm happy to help out," I find myself saying. As Daehyun eyes me with hesitation, I shrug. "It won't be too much of a hassle."

"Thanks heaps Taeyeon. I'll have the boys treat you better like they should be doing."

"I'd appreciate that. Do you want me to stay while you guys train tonight?"

"You don't have to. It'll just be our regular trainings." 

I contemplate the amount of books I have with me right now, in which I can work through my notes whilst keeping an eye on the basketball team. It is getting fairly dark outside, and if I were to make it home in a secure mindset and imagination, the time would be now. However, as my eyes drift to Baekhyun, I already know my decision. 

"I'll stay." 

"Alright, let me know if you need anything."

As Daehyun heads back toward the court, I make myself a little more comfortable on the benches by slinging on a second jacket I had kept in my school bag and wrapping my scarf tighter around my neck.

To say that I am able to focus my attention on both my homework and the team's practice is a massive lie, evident in my shut books ten minutes into the boys' training. After a short warmup, the boys systematically start sprinting across the court, taking me a while to realise that the balls each of them had dribbling around their agile bodies are constantly tossed around in different possessions, in such a quick and smooth manner it honestly looks like a flawless movie scene playing out in front of me. For my benefit, Daehyun tries to slow down the practice, but to no avail as the team dashes straight into their usual drills of shooting and handling the ball, shouting and praising each other with indeterminable terms I can only guess to be basketball phrases. During the half hour before the team organise themselves into a practice match, I try to jot down as many notes as I can on game rules and terms via the gym's horrible reception. I manage to catch on to some of these terms as the boys yell back and forth, though honestly I am far from pulling together how everything correlates. And Baekhyun whizzing up and down the court with his fringe tampered with sweat, stray tips swaying in sync, does not serve to improve my examination on the sport. 

After Daehyun decides his teammates are exhausted enough, he lets out one loud whistle with his fingers and claps each of them hard on the back. "Keep it up boys. Don't slack off on your studying, but don't stay too cosy over the weekend." 

On that dismissal, my eyes absentmindedly fly back to Baekhyun, who wipes his sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand, returning claps on his backs from his fellow members with a distracted nod.

Without warning, Baekhyun turns his gaze to my direction, locking eyes with me. His singlet sticks to his torso, emphasising his lean frame, knees jutting out from his shorts I've only ever seen concealed by school trousers or jeans from our Saturday tutorings. He is definitely one of the fastest on the team, his speed and stamina proving no joke as with what I had witnessed in the past hour, and the exertion he devoted into the training is now showing through his laboured breaths, his chest visibly heaving to regain his breaths. No matter how many irritated episodes I endure through Baekhyun's typical lackadaiscal and hostile behaviour, I can't help but admit watching Baekhyun is a captivating experience. Unlike any other situation, Baekhyun unmasks the nonchalant expressions he always presents in school, in public, perhaps everywhere in general. Instead of an inexpressive stance I am almost accustomed to, throughout the whole hour Baekhyun focused solely on his training, perfectly reacting to what the results of his actions demanded. An inhale of frustration as he misses a shot. Arms waving about at his teammates as they fight for the ball. A whoop of joy as his team outplays the opponent and scores.

A whoop of joy.

It is almost as if Baekhyun took a 180 degree turn in personality and switched to an entirely different mode. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought Byun Baekhyun is this friendly, outgoing and reliable friend to count on for a good time. 

If I didn't know any better. 

Now, sitting alone in the bleachers, his teammates dispersing around him, I can sense the normal Baekhyun with his lazy attitude slowly leaking back into him. His dark eyes stay on me, causing me to grip my notebook tighter. What does he want? For me to look away first? Is this his intimidating way to say that he doesn't want me here, to watch him as he and his team practices?

"Taeyeon!" Daehyun's shout forces me to tear my eyes away from Baekhyun, admittingly with a lot of effort. 

Blinking a few times at the team captain, it takes me a short moment to process his waving hand, before replying in a choked voice and hurrying down the steps. 

"You look exhausted." 

This leaves me stupefied. "I'm exhausted?" I run my eyes over Daehyun's sweat-covered face and the empty bottle he clutches, wrapped in a towel. "I should be telling you that."

Daehyun grins. "Just our usual training. I don't think right now is suitable to talk things over. I should clean up and you should go home." His eyes dart to the clock on the far side of the gymnasium. "Are you okay to get home at this time?"

6:45pm. Buses are scarcer, not that any had convenient routes from and back to my place. Time grows shorter if I listen to music on the way, and Mum will have eaten dinner by the time I get home. She said it'll be waiting for me. I nod. "I'll be alright. Cheers for letting me stay." 

"I should be the one thanking you. Allow me to buy you a cuppa sometime." I am about to say that his act of kindness is completely unnecessary, when Daehyun looks past me and calls Baekhyun's name. "Walk her home, will ya? Who are we to leave a lady walking in the dark alone?" 

Behind me, Baekhyun's hair is wet from what I presume is water instead of his sweat. He has changed attire, into a plain t-shirt and jeans, sports bag slung over shoulder with its content peeking out. Baekhyun glares daggers at Daehyun, switching his stare from the double doors to his captain, and back again. "Can you not make it home yourself?" he grumbles, not meeting my eyes. 

Friendly sensors now switched off, I swallow. "I- yeah, I can." 

"Then that's that."

With a tousle of his hair, Baekhyun starts towards the exit again, his strides longer and quicker than usual, before Daehyun lets out a loud snort and a low whistle. "Not so fast, Baekhyun." I don't know whether it is the booming voice of Daehyun's or the way he emphasised the last part of Baekhyun's name with hints of playful threats, but those four words effectively halt Baekhyun in his steps, back refusing to turn. Daehyun shoots me a gleeful smile before his palm lands on my arm and slowly guides me towards Baekhyun, ever so gently yet strong enough to have me not attempt to wriggle out of his grip. Or maybe I am too stunned to do anything but let Daehyun close the distance between Baekhyun and I. 

Baekhyun stifles a groan, his head lazily rolling to the side as if expecting what Daehyun is about to say. "See her safe." Daehyun's words are brief but frisky.

"I don't even know where she lives." Baekhyun still does not glance at me. 

If that didn't come from Baekhyun's obnoxious mouth, and if the situation wasn't so imposing no thanks to Daehyun, I would have chided Baekhyun for being so bold in his words. Not to mention I don't quite appreciate being referred to 'she'. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever heard him call me by my name before. 

"You'll know tonight."

At this, I startle. "Okay, hold up. No one needs to know where I live tonight. I can't assure either of you that doesn't sound the slightest bit creepy. I appreciate the offer, Daehyun, but I'll be fine on my own." 

Daehyun glances at Baekhyun, raising his eyebrows, before he sighs. "If anything happens to you-" that is extremely encouraging for later, "-I'll know who to blame. Sorry for stinking up near you Taeyeon. Take care in getting home." 

After Daehyun sends a wink down my way and trots towards the changerooms, Baekhyun finally looks at me. He doesn't say anything for a while, and I don't either as I stare back. "Well." Baekhyun clears his throat, looking beyond irritated. "Do you want me to walk you home or not?" 

I think I do, my brain answers immediately, but I manage to catch hold of my tongue before the words slip off. "You should go home." I didn't exactly lie that I don't want him to walk me home. "You live in the opposite direction of me."

"Just to the school gates then," Baekhyun whispers under his breath, audible enough for me to hear clearly, before striding ahead. Dumbfound, I catch up to his pace. 

The corridors are completely empty, half of the lights still switched on. Shadows are cast against the lockers as Baekhyun and I sweep by in silence. Outside, it's even colder, and I am ever so grateful that I had brought along my second jacket. My stockings do little to keep in warmth, however, and I am already starting to shiver by the time we complete the short walk across the quadrangle. 

Street lamps outside the school grounds accentuates the stillness of the evening, clouds spluttering across the night sky with the sun offering no more of its rays. As we near the main entrance, I slow down my pace, falling behind Baekhyun's steps, as I don't want the both of us to turn into opposite directions after we pass those gates. Don't want to make the situation any more awkward as it is. 

Sometime after we left the gym, Baekhyun had slipped on a black jacket, the leather aesthetically wrapping around his lean frame. I vaguely remember purchasing a leather skirt once on Tiffany's suggestion. That material always sides with the chill. I wonder how Baekhyun is able to tolerate the climate these nights. I have already proven my immune system weak, and I thought I took care of myself to prevent such outcomes, carrying a second jacket and scarf around. Well, maybe some nights I was unprepared.

I stay a few feet behind Baekhyun, not wanting to further the distance between us even though my legs are starting to cramp from the brisk pace, and try not to think about how creepy I must be to be staring at his figure. I don't think I can quite help myself. 

We enter the streets, and Baekhyun turns to the right while I turn to the left. But he slows his steps just a heartbeat, something I almost miss, and throws a "See you tomorrow" over his shoulder, another thing I almost don't catch.

It is just a mumble, but for all I know it could've been his loudest yell. I allow myself a tiny smile, not daring to turn around and glance at his retreating figure. Instead, I keep my gaze locked ahead of me. Perhaps music isn't the only way to make the walk home shorter. 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 author's note » Hello lovely readers! I'm back.

 

[1] Pojangmacha refers to small tented restaurants on wheels, or street stalls in South Korea which sell a variety of popular street foods.