A Summer's Greeting

Once upon a Summer day

A/N: Egh this feels stupid and unrealistic and...immature? I dunno maybe because it's my own writing but at least it gets better as this is only like the intro chapter...it'll get more excited as the chapters go by... once again i at titles *Hides in a corner*

Still though enjoy :)

 

I guess for most 17 year olds, who are dragged out of their school and told they were going to live on a whole other continent; it would be the worst thing that had ever happened to them. But instead to me it was the opportunity of a lifetime. Travelling had always been on my bucket list and although I was leaving a lot behind, I knew there was so much more out there for me. My parents were pretty surprised to see that I was psyched about my dad receiving a job in South Korea. I expected they would send him to America ( it usually is there in most cases) but I wasn’t the least bit disappointed. Anyplace would have been better than this middle – of nowhere town in South Africa. The reality of it all seemed to sink in when we started packing our things for our one way ticket out of here. Saying goodbye wasn’t hard, I didn’t have many attachments to my life in South Africa. To tell the truth I had never been really happy there. It all just passed in a bland, blur. Nothing really happening. So when we finally landed in South Korea I was ecstatic. I could almost taste the opportunities and pure essence of living when I stepped off the plane. I had done my research well when I first heard about the big move. Asian culture was beautiful to me. I wanted to immerse myself in it. Whether it was their food, music, clothes or just their everyday way of living I wanted to experience it for myself. And so a year passed. I finished school and then had to decide what I wanted to do for my life. I had endless choices. There were so many opportunities here that I never had back in South Africa,. Something that had felt so out of reach and lost was now a living, breathing dream. For as long as I could remember I’ve danced. From a toddler doing ballet to a teenager dancing to music videos and striving to become a professional dancer. I was taken aback when I realized for the first time that this was actually now possible. So when I graduated from High School I started my hunt. Needing no degree for what I wanted to do I immediately set off to various record companies in Korea to audition. There were countless pop idol groups that are signed by major record companies in Korea. Meaning countless groups who needed back up dancers for their music videos and live shows. This is exactly what I had dreamed about doing. I made numerous appointments for auditions at the different companies. Some immediately turned me away saying they had no work for me, but I wasn’t worried… I had 6 auditions in the following two weeks. The weekend before my first audition I thoroughly researched each company and found out what groups were signed there. I grew increasingly nervous as I saw the famous names pop up on my laptop. I had had no idea that I could be dancing next to these people in a couple of weeks. In the course of one year I had stayed here I quickly caught up with the music in Korea and just as quickly fell in love with it. The Korean pop or Kpop groups’ music was amazing. I looked at the songs on my playlist realizing that I would be meeting these voices soon. My mind couldn’t comprehend the idea of it so I shut my laptop closed and tried to get some sleep, but I only rolled around, restless. The morning of my first audition I woke with a start, slamming the alarm clock next to my bed trying to cut the annoying sound off. I tried to keep my cool as I got ready, but as soon as the building rose in front of me my breath got stuck in my throat and knots turned in my stomach. I strided in confidently and lucky enough I could do the same walking out. It had been easy. We were required to do the choreography of the groups’ songs as done on their music videos. Fangirling over the kpop groups really did have their advantages. Of course I didn’t get to meet the idols at the audition. I didn’t know why I assumed I would. After the first audtition was done I quickly got used to it and by the following Wednesday I only had two companies left. S.M Entertainment and T.O.P Media where Teen Top and 100% were signed. I knew both groups quite well, having been a fan of their music for a long time. Wednesday came and gone and the big wait followed. I was to hear the results from the companies by Friday. I constantly had to keep myself busy or I would end up pacing up and down my apartment for hours at a time. I was a nervous wreck by the time Friday came. I sat ready, waiting at my kitchen table with my phone and a bottle of tequila in front of me. The tequila served a dual purpose. Either for celebration or to help me with my deep spiral of depression which would set in if none of the companies had accepted me. I sincerely hoped it would serve its first purpose. My phone suddenly rang startling me from my daydreaming and worry. At first I only stared at it. There was something overwhelming in the fact that my future all depended on the small object in my hand. I flipped my future open. “Hello?”, I said in a shaky voice. A couple of minutes later I had heard from all but two companies. I had already been accepted by one. I decided to contain my excitement until I had heard from all the companies. Finally my phone rang again. “Hello”

“Hi this is Andy from T.O.P Media. I have called to let you know that you have passed the audition and we are happy to welcome you to our company.”

It was pretty hard to conceal my excitement after that. “Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!” Out of all the companies I had wanted to work with Teen Top the most. I was ecstatic.

I could hear him smile over the phone. “ I’m glad you’re so eager.”

“When do you I start?”

“Officially Monday, but I would like you to come in earlier to meet the staff, the other dancers and of course the boys.” I had to be there in an hour. I scrambled around my apartment showering, getting dressed and doing my hair.

When I finally sat in my car, on the ride to the company, I had time to think about what was happening. I kept bobbing up and down in my seat unable to sit still. I tried to calm myself knowing that I had to act professional, after all they were colleagues now.

President Andy was waiting outside for me. He greeted me by hand and led me inside. “I wanted you to come in early so you and the other dancers could bond with the boys. Dancing together requires you to be at ease with each other and have a fair amount of trust. Besides were like a big family in this company so I’m sure you’ll become friends with them anyway.” He led me down a white, tiled hallway. “Your main priority will be working with Teen Top, as you know 100% is also signed here, but you’re more needed with Teen Top. Although if the occasion should arise you will be summoned to dance for 100%’s music videos and live shows too.” I definitely didn’t mind. That way my work was even more assured and I would have even more of a variety of dancing now. As we walked the realization of who the person next to me was set in. This was Andy...Shinwha's Andy. I gulped at the rising excitement in my thoat. this was unreal.

We finally reached a glass door. A studio by the looks of it. I met the three other dancers and two choreographers first. The dancers were all girls. Figures for a boy group. Two Japanese girls, a Korean girl and me. I wasn’t the only newbie. This was the other girls’ first day too and we were all on our way with Andy to meet Teen Top. As we came down the hall I could hear voices and a lot of laughing. We abruptly turned a corner and the eating area was suddenly before us. All six of them, or rather five as C.A.P was too busy dozing off on his arms, looked up in surprise when we walked in. They stood and greeted us politely. President Andy introduced us individually. “Boys these are your new dancers who will be working, or rather dancing with you.”

“Whoa, we have our own dancers now?” Chunji asked surprised.

“Whoah!”, Ricky exclaimed clapping his hands together.

“Awesome”, Changjo mouthed, grinning in anticipation. My face probably mirrored his. I couldn’t wait to dance with the “Dancing Boy”, Changjo.

 “Right you girls can join them for lunch. I’ll drop in later.”

He was gone then, quickly pacing out of the room. We sat down, the guys immediately starting up a friendly conversation as they finished their lunch. I felt a little left out and awkward sitting at the end of the table so I fidgeted with my fringe and let my black hair fall around my shoulders. “Want some of my ramen?”, a voice close to me said.

I looked up surprised, at L.Joe sitting in front of me.

“Oh…”, my mind went completely blank and it was only after staring at his questioning expression for a full 30 seconds before I finally clicked what he had asked. “oh, uhm no thank you”, I said with a awkward smile, feeling like such an idiot. “What’s your name?”, he asked oblivious to my moment of stupidity.

“Summer”

“Like the season, Summer?”, Ricky asked out of nowhere, suddenly sitting next to L.Joe and joining the conversation. “That’s right”

“Wow that’s so pretty”, he said, marvelling at my unusual name. A blush coloured my cheeks as I smiled at his easy-going compliment. Their open, friendly personalities made me relax and it wasn’t long before I was talking to Ricky and L.joe with complete ease. I could slowly feel how I became more myself the longer we talked. It wasn’t as if I was self-conscious, hell knows I’m definitely not the shy type, but it always takes me a while to get comfortable with strangers. Among people I don’t know I fall into a shell of myself, scared of being judged, but as soon as I’m comfortable enough and in a no-judge zone I crawl out and become my extraverted, outgoing self again. I looked around at what the other members were doing. C.A.P was catching up on his beauty sleep, Chunji engrossed in a conversation with Minah and the two Japanese girls were talking to Niel and Changjo, who were arguing over the last piece of prawn tempura. I laughed at their natural way of acting, even amongst strangers. Ricky and L.Joe were shooting me questions in between mouthfuls of their noodles. We were in the middle of discussing the basic things, like where I was from, how old I was etc. When Changjo suddenly sprang up slamming his flat hand on the table. At first I thought Changjo was getting ready to hit the living crap out of Niel, who had stolen his tempura piece of his chopsticks – as he looked pretty serious when he sprang up, but instead he shouted “Talent Show!”

The guys all stood up with a unanimous “Whoop Whoop”, while the girls and I were left confused. The guys were all hurrying back towards the studio, which left me trailing behind trying to catch up.

L.joe and Ricky turned around waiting for me. “Come on”, Ricky said grabbing my hand and pulling me forward. I was overly conscious of the warm hand wrapped around mine. We caught up with the others, but he didn’t let go as if I would get lost as soon as he let go of me. When we reached the studio he let his hand slide out of mine and stepped to the side. “We want to see how good your dancing is”, Changjo announced now standing in front of us. “We will judge you according to your precision, improvisation and all round skill”, Niel said in a MC – like voice. This should be fun I thought as they explained their plan. Changjo put on the music and the guys took their seats. At first we were dancing seriously, concentrating, but after a while we relaxed and just had fun. Chunji and L.joe shouted words of encouragement as we danced, while Niel and Changjo took on a serious demeanour as judges. A Teen Top song came on and we all fell into synchronized dancing, with the guys all jumping up to join us. We laughed and danced together acting out each of their music videos.  The song that followed was Miss Right and the guys decided I should play the part because of my long, straight hair. I must say I enjoyed it immensely as the guys one by one chased after me. I giggled as the part where L.joe kisses the girl came on. He only shyly looked at me as I jokingly blew him a kiss. Eventually we fell down, exhausted from the dancing. The silence only lasted a couple of minutes before Ricky had rolled over to L.joe attempting to climb over him without using his hands and Niel had launched himself at C.A.P who had fallen asleep in the corner. When I sat up I saw Changjo on my right looking at them with amused expressions. It was hard to size him up. I would never have pegged him as the maknae. He was this mysterious character to me, one moment he’d be serious and the next he’s suddenly do something really unexpected and funny. I wanted to burst out laughing everytime he got angry. He really did have a short temper, but instead of being scary, he looked incredibly hot to me when he got mad. He got over his anger just as quickly though, laughing together again a minute after  he had gotten angry over something. I was still gazing at him, trying to figure him out when he suddenly noticed my gaze and looked down at me on the floor.

“ I really didn’t expect this.”, I said to him

“What do you mean?”

“I just didn’t expect you guys to be so…normal.”

Changjo laughed, nodding towards the rest who were rolling around on the floor. “We’re a far cry from normal you know”

“To me weird is normal. I like weird.” He smiled at me, offering his hand and helping me up. We went to go stand at the wall watching the others. “Good dancing”, he said referring to the talent show. “I didn’t think girls would be as good as guys”

I made a mock shocked sound. “ist”, I joked. “Thanks, I must say I’m pretty excited to get to dance with Teen Top’s “Dancing Boy.”

He grinned at me. “ I can’t wait to do choreography with you and the rest of the girls either.”

We went back to looking at the others. C.A.P was now ramming himself into Niel, bull style, and Niel in turn rammed into Chunji, who fell face first on the floor. “My nose, you idiot!”, he shouted. Niel put his hands up in a sign of innocence and pointed to C.A.P. Chunji and Niel partnered up and tried to take their revenge on C.A.P with a wrestling match. They were losing. Badly. Ricky and L.joe were on the other side of the room repeatedly doing a chest bump. I laughed hysterically at the sight before me. I knew from then on that I would never have a dull moment again with these guys in my life. Chunji decided to keep his dignity and forfeited from the match claiming that he was hungry. We all went down, back to the cafeteria and as it already was dinner time. We made instant noodles again. I had just poured hot water over mine when Andy walked in. “I’m glad to see you’re all getting along.” He joined us for the meal, getting to know us dancers better. It was like one big family the way we all sat around the table laughing and bickering until we had finished our meal. It amazed me that they so easily welcomed us with open arms into their lives. “I hope you don’t mind”, Andy said to us girls, “I planned that you all spend the weekend together at the boys’ dorm.” I looked up shocked. “but we don’t have clothes…” I didn’t dare to protest on his idea, not that I wanted to anyway, I mean spending a weekend with these guys would be awesome. “We’ll quickly stop at your own places on the way to the dorm.” And so we ended up in the car on the way to my apartment. Because of the limited seating me and the girls were required to sit on the guys’ laps. I ended up on Changjo’s. We talked all the way, intensely discussing our dreams and aspirations of dancing. Being so alike we got along well and I could quickly see us becoming good friends. We arrived at my apartment and I jumped out wanting to get my stuff as quickly as possible. “I’ll help”, Changjo and Ricky both offered at the same time. Changjo gave Ricky a stone, cold glare and Ricky cowered back into his seat. It was exactly like an older dog and a puppy. “It’s fine really... I can get it myself…”, I said slowly, not wanting that menacing stare on myself. “No, no I’ll come with”, Changjo said cheerfully already back to his normal self. That had been pretty scary… I felt sorry for Ricky. I didn’t want to be the cause of a fight between him and Changjo, but then again maybe Changjo was only joking with him? I didn’t know what to say so I let him follow in silence. I really could have done it myself. I only grabbed enough clothes for three days and stuffed it into a bag. The silence lasted until we were walking back. “Were you really mad at Ricky just now?”  He laughed. “Oh, no, no I was just joking. He’s used to it by now.”

“Even though you’re younger than him?”

“Yep”, he replied.

“Wow, he must really like getting picked on.” 

“It’s more the attention than anything else. Besides he knows were only joking with him when we do that. He’s like a little puppy.”

I smiled at the comparison that I had used too. “Well that’s good then.” Ricky was laughing at something when we reached the car, but as soon as he saw us his smile turned down and his lips pouted. He looked so adorable.