When it Unties

Tied By a Thin Thread

Chapter 36: When it Unties

 ‘I got an offer to audition at Starship Entertainment.’

‘That’s amazing!’ Hyunseong exclaims, hugging his boyfriend even tighter. ‘I know. But… what if I pass and become a trainee. I will lose all of this. What if I lose you?’  Jeongmin asks as he pushes Hyunseong away from him to look at him straight. Hyunseong takes Jeongmin’s hands. ‘You won’t lose me. If you go for the audition or not is your choice. Do you want to go?’  He asks. Jeongmin averts his eyes to his feet. ‘ Of course I want to. This is a chance that could never come again…’

‘Then go.’  Hyunseong says. Jeongmin nods slightly and pecks Hyunseong on his lips. ‘ Thank you. I will give the company a call.’

Hyunseong nods in approvingly. ‘I agree. I’m going to go and find sunbae to make up with her. Good luck with you call.’

‘Thank you.’  Jeongmin says. He takes Hyunseong’s hand and squeezes it slightly. Hyunseong pulls his hand away in a playful way but Jeongmin can’t help feeling hurt by the action. When Hyunseong is out of the room Jeongmin takes the card from his pocket and starts typing the digits one after another at the slowest pace he can manage. The moment the audition is set his life could change drastically. Knowing that makes it even harder to press the call button. Jeongmin shuts his eyes tightly and bites his lip before pushing the button.

‘Jo Hyung Woo  speaking.’ 

‘This is Jeongmin.’

‘What a surprise! By the way you acted this morning I thought you wouldn’t call me back. And, are you in for the audition?’  The other’s excited voice helps Jeongmin to let his worries go and the tension he’s feeling is slowly becoming less severe.

‘Yes. I want to audition.’

 

~

‘That hit the spot.’ Kwangmin says, happily patting on his round belly. Youngmin laughs at his boyfriend’s cute behaviour. ‘What do you want to do next?’ He asks. ‘I have to go back and work for the student council.’ Kwangmin says. Youngmin drops the fork he was holding just now from surprise. ‘What the… you promised me we would spend the day together!’ Youngmin says in awe. Kwangmin immediately starts laughing. ‘I was just getting back at you for last time. I don’t have anything to do and if I had, I would’ve cancelled it ages ago.’ Kwangmin explains. Youngmin blushes, realizing how obsessed he sounded just now. Well, he is obsessed with Kwangmin. The only one that doesn’t realize that is probably Kwangmin himself.

‘So… where do you want to go?’ Youngmin tries again. Kwangmin’s expression changes into the adorable ‘thinking’ face that Youngmin is fond of. His plump lips are formed in a pout and his big eyes are shut tightly. His frown cause a few lines in his forehead. ‘I don’t know. Everything with you is fun.’ Kwangmin says. ‘True. I make your day.’ Youngmin says, immediately earning a glare from the younger.

‘Let’s walk around and see what there is to do.’ It is then that Kwangmin’s phone vibrates in his pocket. He takes it and when he reads the message his eyes get big. ‘Oh my god! Jeongmin got casted for an audition today!’ He exclaims. ‘What?! That bastard did?!’ Youngmin says surprised. ‘Of course, he’s an amazing singer and handsome. Why do you hate him so much?’

‘Maybe because you call him handsome all the time.’ Youngmin snarls. Kwangmin giggles and pats his brother’s hand resting on the table. ‘You’re my only one and you know it. Let’s support Jeongmin hyung, okay?’

‘Don’t wanna.’ Youngmin pouts. Kwangmin shakes his head with a coy smile on his face. ‘You’re falling for me these days Jo Youngmin. Be careful.’ Youngmin rolls his eyes at his lover’s statement. ‘Says the person that blushes whenever I say something.’ Kwangmin lets out a grumpy sound from the back of his throat. ‘Don’t tease me with that.’ He mumbles. ‘I have to, and you know it.’ Youngmin says. Kwangmin nods. ‘Yeah, I know…’

 

~

Hi guys,

 

Let’s meet at the karaoke at 9:00 tonight

I need to tell you guys something

 

~

‘YOU GOT ACCEPTED?!’ Minwoo shouts. Kwangmin and Minwoo clap like seals for their hyung who bows with a big grin on his face. ‘Yes! They said that with my looks I won’t even need any plastic surgery done. I’m idol standard already.’

‘Congratulations man.’ Donghyun says. He elbows Youngmin who glares at the happy Kwangmin from his seat. ‘Congrats.’ He mumbles.

‘So sincere.’ Jeongmin comments. ‘Yes, I put all of my sincerety into that statement.’ Youngmin attacks back.

‘You! Can you stop being jealous of me because I’m ing gorgeous and you’re like, an ugle giraffe, not worthy of my cute Kwangmin?!’ Jeongmin shouts.

‘Well me and Kwangmin are about just as tall and look about the same, so we’re both ugly giraffes then.’ Youngmin reacts. Just when Jeongmin wants to react again the door to the karaoke room is opened and Hyunseong barges in.

‘Congrats Jeong. I knew you would make it.’

‘Thanks’, Jeongmin says, pecking his boyfriend on the lips. The sad look in Hyunseong’s eyes seemed clear for only a second. Now he just looks glad and sincerely happy for Jeongmin.

‘I brought you all here to celebrate me passing as a trainee. I hope we’ll have lots of fun today. One of the biggest reasons is that from today on I won’t be at school as often so let’s have lots of fun today.’

‘Yes sir!’ Kwangmin and Minwoo shout at the same time. Kwangmin immediately pulls the song choosing device from Donghyun’s hands and starts typing in a song. Donghyun watches his empty hands and looks up confused. Minwoo laughs at him. ‘Kwangmin is always the most excited for karaoke. He will steal any chance to sing of you hesitate, you have been warned.’ He says. Kwangmin ignores his dongsaeng’s words and immediately starts singing a trot song. Everyone laughs at Kwangmin’s terrible derp dance and sit back as they enjoy the show. Even Youngmin can’t hide his smile watching the hilarious first performance.

 

Donghyun watches Jeongmin and Hyunseong, sitting next to each other. They both laugh loudly ad they watch Minwoo and Kwangmin singing Elevator. Jeongmin whispers something into Hyunseong’s ear and Hyunseong just nods before taking Jeongmin’s hand. Even though they are as flirty as normally, something seems to have changed. While Jeongmin’s look has become more clear, Hyunseong’s seems more distant. Those two make me worry. Donghyun thinks.

 

~

‘Wake up, Min dongsaeng one!’ Jeongmin’s voice rings through Kwangmin’s head as he is only half awake. When he opens his eyes he has to close them gain immediately. The light is hurting his eyes. He wonders why it is late this early in the morning. He takes his phone and immediately jumps out of bed when he sees the time.

‘I’m late!’ He exclaims. He quickly puts on his school uniform and fixes his hair before speeding off to school.

 

It has been 3 weeks since Jeongmin has left. The first week he was there for almost every day. He said he would practice at night but got scolded by the agency. He told Minwoo and Kwangmin he was falling behind the other trainees and would be at school less. As said he only came for a day in the second week and two days ago. They couldn’t go for karaoke anymore because there was a chance Jeongmin could cause trouble. So they just talked. Jeongmin had lost some weight and had looked tired in the beginning. Of course he was still full-ears on Minwoo and Kwangmin’s relationship stories. He taught Minwoo a few dance moves he had learned from his dance teachers and gave Kwangmin some advice on his rapping which he had learned from the other trainees. When Minwoo asked if the other trainees were nice Jeongmin’s expression had changed. ‘it’s hard to get close to them. Well, it’s obvious because we are still in a sort of battle for debut.’ He had shrugged it off but it made Kwangmin wonder if it was really the best decision Jeongmin could’ve made. Right after that Kwangmin had seen Hyunseong and Jeongmin arguing. Hyunseong looked like he didn’t want to talk and Jeongmin just looked irritated in general. It was shocking to see the two of them fight but Kwangmin decided to not step in.

 

Now that Jeongmin doesn’t wake him up anymore, Kwangmin is later for school even more than he had been in the past. He got a lot of scolding from president Hyunyoung. He can’t remember how many times he apologized in the last few weeks.

 

~

Youngmin, Donghyun and Hyunseong are sitting on Donghyun’s bed, playing a video game. ‘I’m going to get some drinks.’ Hyunseong says. The other two nod.

 

Hyunseong gets up and walks out of the room. It is exactly 15 past ten. This is the time Jeongmin gets his phone back after the obligatory practice. It has been 5 days since their fight and Jeongmin hadn’t called him like he normally does. Still, Hyunseong always switches off the silent mode on his phone at the time Jeongmin might call. He’s surprised when his phone rings for the first time in 5 days. Hyunseong picks up the call and puts his phone to his ear. When nothing is being said he starts speaking.

‘Hi.’

‘Hyunseong. Are you still mad at me for cancelling the dinner with your parents?’

‘I’m not. My parents are though. They think you care more about debuting than about me.’

‘O god! You know I don’t right?’ Hyunseong hears his boyfriend’s voice breaking. ‘I know. Don’t cry.’

‘I’m sorry! Practice just takes up so much time. I like it I do but I can feel how I am slowly drifting away from Kwangmin and Minwoo.’

‘They are not the only one you’re drifting away from.’ Hyunseong says. When there’s no answer he hangs up the phone.

 

~

Youngmin and Donghyun jump up in surprise when Hyunseong comes in with a dark expression on his face. Before they know it the boy throws his phone against the wall and starts kicking the desk violently.

‘Let’s leave.’ Donghyun whispers. They quickly sneak out of the room, worried about their friend but knowing him long enough, he needs some alone time.

‘I hope my room will still exist after this.’ Donghyun admits. Youngmin shrugs. ‘We’ll see. I wonder what happened…’

 

~

Jeongmin can feel the  tears streaming down his cheeks. Hyunseong sounded like a stranger just now. He couldn’t say a word. I’m such an idiot.

 

 

They got hurt.

A knot in the string is untied.

The string is getting longer.

The two are farther away from each other.

 

When will it break?