Chapter Four: The Juliette Condition (Sorta)

Undercover

Author's note: One word; school D: Updates will be slow so sorry >< Also sorry for any grammar stuff, just scanned it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, after a fairly good sleep, Cat and I woke up and informed Derek that we wanted to go dress shopping for tonight’s party. He nodded once before reminding us that we were to be back before the appointed time of the party (which was around 7:30-8pm in the evening but of course we had to make preparations).

 

“If you girls are going shopping, you might need these instead of using your own debit cards.” He tosses us a card and Cat catches it. One thing about being part of a secret agency; expenses on travel are covered via a pre-deposited debit card. Think of it as one of those coffee cards that you can reload money into when it runs out except the card doesn’t really trace back to anywhere.

 

“Sweet! Shopping spree!” Cat gloats as she marvels at the card.

 

“Hahaha. No.” Derek laughs drily. “It has a limit. You’ll know once you get to the point where you swipe and your payment doesn’t get processed.”

 

“Awww!” Cat cries out in disbelief. I shook my head; a little disappointed myself that we couldn’t go crazy with clothes but oh well, what’s a little free money without a catch.

 

“What are you gonna do?” I ask Derek.

 

“Half of the clothes I packed are suits and dress shirts. I’m covered so I’ll stay here and keep track of things.”

 

We nod our head and Cat and I made our way back to our room to get ready.

 

Pulling on a medium brown, shoulder length, wavy wig (along with a beanie on it), I wait for Cat to come out of the washroom from changing.  It was sunny but with a light breeze, but I still stuck with my dark wash skinny jeans only this time, I had on a cardigan over a white V-neck shirt and cute black peep toe heels. Cat came out soon afterwards, donning her own wig (she decided to be a dark redhead today) and her own casual street attire.

 

“Ready to go?”

 

“Yup.” Cat replies as she smoothens out the strands of hair of her wig. Taking one last look in the mirror and checking over her outfit (a zip up sweater hoodie with a tank top underneath, jean shorts and black tennis shoes), she gave a nod of approval and made her to the door. I follow after her, putting on my signature aviators and lock our room, and as we made our way down the elevator and out of the hotel, I ask her, “Do you remember that place where you rented that van of yours?”

 

“Yup.  Why? Planning on driving?”

 

“I think it’d be more convenient,” I point out as I follow Cat along the streets. The corners of her lips dip down low, making her appear as if she’s pondering the idea before nodding a bit in agreement.

 

“Why not?”

 

And so we head to the car rental place that Cat had been to previously. She persuades the person at the front desk to give us a nice car to drive around but in the end, all we manage to get was a cobalt blue mini cooper s but it included a GPS so it was fine.

 

“I’ve always wanted to drive these.” I comment as we got into the car and pull out of the car rental garage.

 

“Well too bad,” Cat says from behind the wheel. “I’m the one driving.”

 

“So? That just means I can fool around with the radio.” I said as I reach for the power button and turn it on. Pressing the arrows to station surf, I eventually settle on one that was currently playing GD&TOP ft. Park Bom – Oh Yeah. Immediately we start to bob our heads to the beat.

 

Cat and I followed the direction back to COEX Mall, seeing as how it would probably be better to stick around the area; just in case anything happens. Parking our car in the car park, we step out and Cat locks it.

 

“Shopping adventure!” Cat sang as she skips a bit in her step. I laugh and skip along with her.

 

“Do you have an idea of what to wear for this shindig?” I ask.

 

“Hmm…” Cat hums, pouting her lip a bit in thinking. “Not really…I guess something semi-formal?”

 

I nod in agreement and we head over to the stairs leading to the mall to begin our wandering. We went into mostly all of the dress stores that were available in the complex, trying on many different styles of dresses but still we have yet to purchase one that we liked. Eventually it made us tired so we head to the food court to get something to eat or drink.

 

Immediately we flock over to the Starbucks that was there. Cat orders a passion tea drink while I order a caffe vanilla Frappuccino. We move over to the area to receive our drinks. There were a few people already there waiting, but soon the numbers grew as more and more people start to accumulate. I move back a bit as to allow space for people to stand and Cat and I wait patiently for our drinks.

 

“Tall iced passion tea.” Cat weaves her way through the small crowd and takes her drink from the counter, grabbing the straw along the way and then making her way out of the ordering area. I watch her go before I heard my drink order being called out.

 

“Tall caffe vanilla Frappuccino blended coffee.”

 

I go to reach for my order but then out of the corner of my eye, someone else also reaches for it. The person’s arm and mine retract at the same time and I turn my head to see who this person was. I found myself looking up slightly because this person practically towers over me.

 

“Oh sorry is that yours?” The voice came off as a male speaking Korean but wasn’t too deep like some; it was pleasantly light, smooth and almost airy. I match the voice with a face…or at least try to because the person had a mask covering the lower part of their face. I was only met with dark brown eyes, almost black and straight blond fringes that were peeking out from under a black beanie.  I had to blink a couple of times to bring myself back from my inner thoughts but then realization struck me like a ton of bricks; those eyes… how could I not recognize them?! My face starts to burn a bit; I must’ve looked to stupid just staring at him.

 

“Uh I don’t know…did you…order it too?” I reply back as best as I could in Korean, my mind was sort of lagging on me from the earlier thoughts. As soon as the sentence left my mouth I wanted to smack myself; of course he did stupid! He wouldn’t have reached for it if he didn’t.

 

“…Yeah. Sorry, you can take it.” He said, gesturing for me to do so and I could tell by the slight curve of his eyes that he was smiling in a friendly way.

 

“No no! You must’ve ordered earlier than me so it should be yours.” I quickly reply back and return the gesture for him to take it.

 

“No it’s fine.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Positive; I don’t want noona to wait. You must have places to be.” He said innocently, still smiling. I almost made a deadpan face at him for calling me ‘noona’; I was the same age as him…

 

I nervously took the drink, the coldness from it cooling my burning hands and I incline my head in thanks.

 

“Kamsabnida.” I say, smiling a bit. He smiles back at me and also bows slightly.  I had to suppress my smile from growing as I turn away and stalk back to Cat who probably had seen the entire thing happen. I had guessed right when I stop in front of her and she was sipping on her drink, a knowing look plastered all over her face.

“So…” Cat starts teasingly as we start to walk away. “Was it him?” I on the straw, taking up some of the vanilla Frappuccino and a slight frown made its way onto my lips as I did so.

 

“So you did notice him standing there.” I remark, diverting her question.

 

“Maybe I did but I wasn’t 100% sure if it was really him.” She said, smiling mischievously. I slouch my shoulders, head hanging and Cat laughs at my actions.

 

“Awww, flustered that you met your idol crush in person finally?” Cat nudges me and I nudge back, a scowl on my face but I felt my face heat up again.

 

“It’s just a small, puppy crush. You and I both know that in this lifetime of ours we will never get together with a Korean idol. The chances are practically non-existent.” I reason.

 

“But look what just happened; you met him in person. That must mean someone up there really loves you.”

 

 “Or just finds it entertaining to tease me with this chance meeting; it’s like, ‘Oh here’s the person you’ve always wanted to meet; there you go, happy now? Okay that’s all your getting. Haha bye!’” I dramatically said, doing funny little voices to go along with it. Cat laughs once more and pats my shoulder almost pityingly.

 

“You’re forever alone Mich.”

 

I smack her arm and we continue our search for the perfect dress, sipping on our drinks leisurely. We came a small boutique that had dresses that caught our eyes (and taste) so we decide to go and check it out. Browsing around, we pull out multiple dresses and took them to the dressing room.

 

I pull on the dress and gave myself a once over in the full-length mirror they had in the rooms. I had on a sleek, almost cherry red satin cocktail dress. It was strapless with a beaded neckline and had an empire waist ruched skirt reaching to just above the knees. The silhouette was an A-Line, the dress hugging my curves in the right places. I like it, I thought to myself. With that single thought, I settle to buy this dress. I quickly undress and glance at my watch; 6:30pm. My eyes widen, we’ve been shopping for that long?! I straighten my clothing and step out of the dressing room, holding onto the dress.

 

“Yo Cat we gotta get back soon! Who knows how long we’re gonna take with prep and actually looking nice.”

 

A rustle of movement from behind one of the doors came and soon it was pulled open. Cat gave me a wide eye stare, hair a bit messy probably from the rush while clutching her choice of dress in one hand.

 

“Why what time is it?” She asks in a rushed tone.

 

“Half an hour till seven.” I reply. Cat immediately strides pass me, grabbing my elbow along the way and she drags me to the cash register but then freezes in the middle of her near panic mode.

 

“SHOES! THE SHOES!” She exclaims in horror. My eyes widen on cue; she’s right! We totally forgot about shoes! My mind begins to race in panic but then it halts suddenly at a memory.

 

“No, no. I have black heels that would work for my dress.”

 

“What about me?!”

 

Cat shows me her dress; it was a black, strapless, satin dress with a beaded bodice and a natural waistline/A-Line silhouette. The skirt flares out a bit with a tulle hemming and like mine, it was also a cocktail dress. I whip my head around the boutique, locking sight on the small shoe section they had and now it was my turn to drag Cat. Once we were there, we immediately start scanning over the available heels, mentally picking out the black ones. My eyes settle on a decent one; black like her dress, closed toe, pointed, and had an ankle strap. It would have to do (plus it was on sale so score!).

 

“That one!” I found myself echoing Cat as we both point to the same shoe. We glance at each other, almost bursts out laughing if it wasn’t for the fact that we were running late. So we both squat down to the piles of boxes under the displays of shoes and start to frantically match the size and style.

 

“Got it!” Cat says, pulling the box out swiftly, getting up and practically flying to the cash register. We pay for our stuff (the total coming to about $350), said a quick thank you and sprint out of the shop and towards the car park, dodging people, couples, and the like without smacking them with our shopping bags. I was doing well for the most part (running in heels and all) and it would’ve been smooth sailing if one of the people I was dodging didn’t pull the ‘Olé bull fighting’ move. You know, that moment when it’s all going good for you because people realize you are in a rush so they move out of the way but when they do, the person who was behind them don’t realize what’s going on until you suddenly appear like a ninja in front of them which results to a head on collision? Yeah, that move. And that’s exactly what happened.

 

I practically chest bump the person so hard that we were both winded on the ground. I heard a groan of pain as I try to regain my breath, still lying on my backside. The scene must’ve look like it came straight out of a romantic comedy, or those classic cartoon moments. Sitting up, I realize my shades had been knocked out from the blow but instead of looking for that first; I straighten my hair, making sure the wig was in no way lopsided. My bag with the dress in it was still intact around my wrist so all was well; now for my shades. Oh right, no can’t do that cuz I just remembered that I nearly injured a person, yet again.

 

“Oh my God, are you okay?! I’m so sorry! I wasn’t looking where I was going!” I said hurriedly in Korean but when I glance up at the person’s face, I nearly choke on my spit. Buddha, you must be feeling really generous today.

 

“Aniyo! Gwenchena.” He replies; fixing his beanie and adjusting the surgeon facemask he still has over his mouth. I could see his eye smiles despite not seeing his actual smile and I felt my face heat again. No Mich! No time for oogling! Shades, where are your shades!? My mind lags to comprehend the thought and robotically I began to scan around on the floor. He must’ve realized what I was looking for because he found them first (as if it was fate, they had landed closest to him). Picking them up, he tentatively hands them back to me. Mind still lagging, I accept them politely, eyes trailing upwards to meet his but as soon as they did, my decision did a 180 turn and quickly, I avert them again to stare at the floor.

 

“Umm…” He starts awkwardly before shuffling to get up. He lends a hand to me and suddenly my mind starts going into overdrive with conflicting decisions and a million and one thoughts race through my head; take his hand or no? Be like those horribly cliché, hopelessly romantic main girl character or not? Are my palms sweaty?! I hope they’re not; oh God approaching inner fangirl mode. Now is not the time! SCREW IT!

 

I reach for his hand, careful so that he at least had a firm grip on all my fingers (I didn’t dare let him touch my palms) and tugs me up on my feet. I stumble back a bit, heart pounding so hard against my chest. For a few seconds, we both stood awkwardly in front of each other (why wasn’t he saying anything?!) with me clutching onto my things tighter than necessary. It was only until I took a peek around did I notice the strange glances we were getting from passer-byes. My eyes began to get shifty and remembering Cat’s word of advice from before, I bow a 90 degree angle so fast that I nearly gave myself a whiplash and quickly dash past his frozen form after yelling ‘thank you’.

 

Finally, I made it to the car park where Cat was waiting in the driver’s seat, giving me this look of questioning as I rounded to the passenger side and plop in, slamming the door shut and tossing my things to the backseat.

 

“What took you?” She asks as she starts the car and begins to speed out of COEX and back to our hotel. I breathe out deeply and lean my head back against the headrest.

 

“Long story short; I chest bumped him so hard that we both got winded and we had an awkward moment together trying to recover.”

 

Cat bursts out laughing, “Seriously? No way, twice in one day! It must mean something!”

 

“Ughh! So embarrassing!” I moan. “I felt like some sort of shoujo character straight from an Asian drama or manga. I didn’t even know that these things could happen in real life!”

 

“Or maybe it’s just you.” Cat says. “You must’ve done something to make someone up there adore you right now.” She laughs at her own comment. I could only stare on in disbelief; this whole ‘fateful’ meeting thing was still something I couldn’t process. It just didn’t seem real. In the end, I had decided to push it to the back of my head. I was probably overthinking it. I have much more important things to think about like…how am I gonna do my hair and make-up?

 

Cat and I arrive back in record timing (thanks to her speeding) and we rush up to our rooms to get ready. In a whirlwind of movements, we had our dresses on; wigs picked out (yeah, we pack a lot of wigs with us) and quite frantically did our make-up. We decide to go with something simple and easy to do; concealer, light foundation, eyeliner, mascara and just a very light, earthy, smokey eye look. I straighten out the front fringes to my mid-back, wavy raven wig and apply cherry red lipstick. Going back to where the beds are, I pull out a guitar case. Clicking it open, I scan over its contents. On the outside it looks like a normal guitar case, but on the inside, no one would suspect it to have an AR-15 assault rifle, a SIG-Sauer P230 SL pistol and a SIG-Sauer P229 pistol. I grab the P230 and secure it to the concealed thigh gun strap I had hidden under my dress.

 

There was a knock on our door that alerts me so I quickly close the case and place it back before scuttling over in my heels to peer through the little eyehole. Seeing as it was Derek (looking fancy in his black suit and silver tie), I unlock the door and open it.

 

"You girls ready?" He asks. I peer around to the bathroom in time to see Cat in a loosely curled, strawberry blonde wig that reaches just past her shoulders complete with sweeping side bangs. Her make-up was done like mine, dressed and ready to go.

 

"Yup." Cat says with a smile. I nod too and we both exit our room, careful to place on the 'Do Not Disturb' door knob sign like we always do before we head out.

 

We arrive at the COEX Center in the BMW sedan, parked in the car park but didn't necessarily step out yet.

 

"Will you open the front compartment?" He asks me as I was the one sitting in the front passenger seat. I did, pulling down the latch and inside was a rectangular case. It was the only thing there so I assume it was what Derek was asking for. Pulling it out, I hand it to him and he took it, opening it to reveal prosthetic molars. Except the only difference with them was that there were little speakers in the middle. I stare at them in wonderment and ask the question that was probably on Cat’s mind too.

 

“What are these…?”

 

“Radio transmitters, we can keep in touch with each other without being suspected.” Derek explains, taking one and placing it in the back of his teeth. “They’re like caps that go over your back molars.”

 

“Are these like brand new toys for us?” Cat asks, a laugh in her question as I hand her one. I thought the same, popping mine in; these are really bizarre but they’ll definitely get the job done.

 

“Yup. Got them before I left and also new custom caviler vests. I forgot to give them to you but hopefully we won’t be needing them.” Derek sets up our line of communication and also hands us earpieces that fit well into our ears (small things once again). Once we were all set, we got out and prepare ourselves for the night.

 

Upon arriving at the entrance of the Grand Ballroom, it was just our luck to encounter In-Su who was also just arriving.

 

“Ah Yong Suk-sshi,” He greets, still looking bug-eyed with those glasses of his. He comes up to Derek and shakes his hand. Derek smiles politely as we stand a little behind him, Cat and I flanking either side of him. We continue to silently follow them as they made their way through the lobby to the ballroom entrance, having a small talk along the way. That was until of course, like any adult, In-Su turns to us and then asks Derek, “Oh and who are these lovely ladies?”

 

“My nieces; Hana,” Derek gestures to me and I bow, smiling politely. “And her cousin Hyorin.” He gestures to Cat and she copies my actions. “I hope you don’t mind me bringing them along because I’d feel guilty about leaving them at the hotel, and besides, they’re very much interested in the business field too.”

 

“That’s wonderful!” He says as we wait for a wealthy looking couple to get by the security at the entrance. “I’m sure this experience will be good for them. How very fortunate for them to have such an uncle like you.” Throughout the time, Cat and I just smile and nod but clearly I could tell that Cat was getting kind of sick of the whole sugar coated conversation. It was our turn and In-Su simply shows the man his ID and invitation and tells the man that we were his special guests when he questions us. Even so we still had to show ID to which we gave without a problem. Finally, we were passed by security and in deep cover.

I start to look around, taking in my surroundings. The ballroom had a ceiling with lots of small spotlights and pot lights, but most of them were not or were dimmed to create a golden glow. Plus, there were large, gold decorative spheres of light to create the mood too. A small stage was at the front where the orchestra was playing and behind them, the wall was covered by a white linen fabric. There wasn’t any tables, just one big long one off to the side that had snacks, fruits and drinks as majority of the space was used just for mingling amongst the crowd. I was relieved though that there weren’t many people who were attending.

 

“Girls,” Derek’s voice cut through my thoughts and I turn to him. “Why don’t you go off and get a snack or something while I go mingle with businessmen.” I took that as a sign to start patrolling so I nod. I turn to Cat and she also gave me a look that said she would follow. So off we went towards the snack table, dodging and weaving past people. Once we made it there, we pretend to occupy ourselves with looking at the assortments of food but pay close attention to our hearing piece. There were a lot of names that In-Su introduces as business partners so from time to time; I glance up from picking strawberries and grapes to spy on Derek and In-Su in a group of old men in suits.

 

“In-Su is still with him…” I mutter to Cat as we went to stand against the wall, casually eating from the plate of fruits we had.

 

“Yeah, I guess his accomplice isn’t here yet…”

 

“I’ll just start patrolling around the perimeter then.” I said to Cat as I began to start my lap around the room. I took long, slow strides, bowing and smiling at passing older women to seem inconspicuous. I also had a few small talks with them as they so normally stop to say something like how pretty I was or how they haven’t seen me around before. All I did of course was smile, say a few words to answer their question or reply to their comments and moved along. My eyes wander to every inch of the room, as if I was fascinated with their décor. So far, nothing seems out of the ordinary until…

 

“Oh my God…” I breathe out, eyes wide. “What are they doing here…”

 

“What?” I hear Cat say from my earpiece.

 

“It’s the big entertainment boss and a few of his productions.”

 

“No...So he really is there?” She replies just as shocked as I was. “I didn’t know this social event was this big to have him show up too…”

 

Hanging around against the wall was none other than SM’s SHINee. Like normal, they were sticking to each other like glue and seem just as awkward as Cat and I were in the sea of businessmen and gossiping older women. But also like normal, they seem to be the center of attention as women well into their thirties were enthusiastically talking to them. Being the angels that they were, they smile and carry on the conversation just as lively.

 

I turn to head away from going into their direction (as I was planning on doing) but that only result to me almost running into someone instead.

 

“Oops sorry,” I said in Korean, looking up at the stranger’s face.

 

“No it’s okay!” She replies smiling cheerfully and I almost let a baffle face take over my expression. Luna from f(x); so they’re here too…I smile back and was just about to head on my way until she decided to strike up a conversation.

 

“Hey I haven’t seen you around before…Are you part of a new girl group?”

 

“Uhh….no..” I answer back awkwardly.

 

“Oh I’m sorry! I thought you might be because I don’t see anyone else who’s as young as we are around here…” She bows a bit, looking pretty in her own cocktail dress and her hair dyed blonde. “I’m Park Sun-Young, or Luna. Do you know f(x)?”

 

I bow also and smile, “Nice to meet you Luna-sshi, I’m Park Hana and yes, I do know f(x).” She seems to beam at the fact that I knew her and her group because afterwards she starts to talk even more cheerfully with me. As nice as it was to start befriending an idol, I had to keep a watch-out for our target and doing that while trying to keep a conversation up is kind of hard.

 

“Oh look! There are the rest of my group members.” Luna points out over my shoulder. I turn and almost groan as I spot them with SHINee. I knew what was gonna come next.

 

“Do you wanna go over and meet them?”

 

“….Sure.” I said nervously. Luna smiles again and proceeds to lead me over to the group, me trailing behind just a bit almost miserably.

 

“Aw c’mon Mich, stop being so anti-social. Girls would kill to be in your spot right now.” Cat says to me.

 

“I’m awkwardly social, not anti.” I correct her. “And besides what are you doing?! Did the target’s accomplice show up yet?”

 

“No, Derek is still trying to get something out from him or some of the businessmen he’s talking to right now. Obviously they’re not willing to talk about something so scandalous if they’re involved in it. The target is still with him socializing and drinking so you’ve got time to flirt around a bit.”

 

I groan under my breath, scanning for Derek and his group and found that Cat was right. In-Su has taken a strong liking to the champagne they were serving. I made it to the group of idols eventually, feeling my heart beat faster as they all direct their attention to me with warm smiles and curious stares. Luna gestures to me and starts introductions.

 

“This is Park Hana-sshi, she’s here with her uncle who’s one of the businessmen.”

 

“Anangsaeyo…” I said softly, doing a mid-bow/curtsey.

 

“Anangsaeyo, we’re shining SHINee.” They did their signature greeting. F(x) does the same and again, I repeat my gesture, shifting nervously in my spot. Just then, Jonghyun speaks up.

 

“You must know us right?”

 

“Ne,” I answer. He grins then pops the question, “Who’s your favourite member?”

 

“Uh…” I hesitate; even knowing the question was coming. I can take it in anyway I want it to; favourite member in terms of fashion, who I would get along with, who is funniest…I eventually decide to be neutral about it.

 

“I like you all equally; you’re unique in your own ways.” I said, smiling. He seems to give me this look that said he was slightly disappointed but accepts it nonetheless.

 

“Hana-sshi how old are you?” Sulli asks.

 

“…I’m eighteen.” I said. I was considering on lying to them, saying that I was somewhere around fifteen or sixteen since that’s how I looked most of the time. But then I realize I had make-up on, which always makes me look older.

 

“Oh! Luna and Taemin-sshi should be your friends!” Amber exclaims jokingly.

 

I laugh a bit. “That would be nice.” They continue to talk with each other, and once in a while I would add in a comment or sometimes they would ask me something and I would answer. Overall though, I was just awkwardly standing with them, quietly listening to their conversation.

 

“Target is moving; he’s excusing himself to go out of the ballroom and headed towards the side doors on the east end. I’m trailing him near the food table but I can’t move quickly without being suspicious. ” I hear Derek say in alert. I scan the area and quickly spot In-Su disappearing through the door Derek was talking about. Soon afterwards, I saw Cat slink in after him.

 

“Uhh…Sorry, I have to go to the washroom for a bit…” I said casually, giving an apologetic smile.

 

“Oh it’s okay, go ahead!” Krystal says and I begin to stride away towards where Cat and In-Su had disappeared. Little did I know that if I had somehow pulled on an invisibility cloak at that moment I would’ve been able to hear the conversation that took place afterwards.

 

“She’s quite pretty.” Krystal points out after she’s made sure the mysterious new friend had left.

 

“Yeah and I really like her dress…” Sulli adds. “What do SHINee sunbaes think of her?”

 

“She’s cute.” Jonghyun says, grinning a bit. “And adorably short; totally my style.”

 

Key smacks his arm disapprovingly and jokingly adds in, “You sound like such a playboy when you say that.” Jonghyun just shrugs and grins a cheeky grin.

 

“She’s okay, her choice of dress was okay too but she doesn’t talk a lot.” Key says afterwards. “And she’s always glancing around nervously like something is gonna jump her.”

 

“I think I’ve seen her somewhere before…” Taemin finally speaks up which catches everyone’s attention. He blinks, looking as if he just said that out loud accidentally rather than thinking it. “Like she seems familiar..” He tries to explain.

 

“Taemin is that what you’ve been doing out on your own?! Going to meet up with girls?!” Key asks, sounding like a mother. Taemin shakes his head and puts up his hands defensively.

 

“No no! It’s probably just those moments where the people you’ve met or seen remind you of another person you’ve met or seen. I haven’t met up with any girls hyung!”

 

“You’re scaring him.” Amber laughs. Taemin pouts a bit but then chose to remain silence about the topic as everyone else decides to talk about something else. Though it was still bothering him (that girl was definitely familiar somehow) he still pushed it to the back of his head, opting that he was probably over thinking it.

 

Now since this isn’t Harry Potter, let’s just get back to when I left. As I pass through the door, Derek comes in after me.

 

“Cat where are you, I saw you go after him a little earlier.” I said aloud, knowing she would be able to hear me.

 

“Take the door that’ll lead out of the building and towards the back of it. You should be able to see the Convention Annex.” I relay the message to Derek and we quickly rush out of the building, arriving at the place Cat had told us. A few more instructions from her and we eventually made it to a shadier area beside the casino. Only a few street lamps lit our way and just barely I saw Cat hidden in the shadows, pressed up against the building and peering around the corner. I stop beside her, trying to even out my breathing.

 

“What’s happening?” I whisper.

 

“He seems to be waiting for someone.” She replies. I gesture for her to switch places with me. Quietly Cat does so now I was able to peer around the corner to see In-Su, pacing a bit in the dim lighting, waiting almost impatiently. Suddenly he reaches for his phone and picks up.

 

“Hello? Where are you!? I thought you told me to meet you at the meeting point at 9.” In-Su starts. “I’m here alread-…Yeah, yeah…everything is going smoothly, and I manage to get the keycode to access the mainframe system. I went through hell to get it, so before I give it you I want to raise my profit share on this. I want to get 25%...25% or I’ll rat you out; you know how bad that would look on the corporation you’re under.”

 

There was a pause and more arguing on In-Su’s part to increase his percent but eventually the person on the line agreed and In-Su gave the keycode; 5673342. Just when we thought business was wrapping up, something else starts to unfold.

 

“What do you mean by that?! YAH I THOUGHT WE MADE AN AGREEMENT! HEY-!” A shot was fired, striking its target in the head. It was barely heard due to the silencer it had on but I heard it. In-Su collapses, most likely dead and suddenly the shooter emerges from a shadow that was behind In-Su, shrouded completely in black so it looks as if he was an actual shadow that came to life.

 

“Go, go, go!” Derek says. Like it was second nature, I pull out my concealed weapon and take aim, squeezing the trigger and hitting the shooter’s gun out of his hand. Startled, he turns his head towards us before taking off running the opposite direction. We run after him, me being at the front but midway down the alley I spot the shooter pulling out a secondary weapon and take aim.

 

“Incoming fire!” I shout and rolled out of the way as shots resound through the air. I take cover behind a dumpster as the shots continue to fire. I return fire and from somewhere beside me, echoing shots accompanied mine. The clicking sound of a gun running out of bullets alert me to come out from hiding and our pursuit continues. Unfortunately he makes it to the end and awaiting him was a car, which he quickly gets in, and it speeds away by the time we reach it. Panting heavily, I put away my gun again (seeing as how we’re back on the streets again) and curse under my breath.


“,” I hear Cat say. “That was brutal…”

 

“We should head back, Tran you can retrace that last call right?” Derek says, placing his pistol back in his vest as we began to walk back quickly to the car park.

 

“Yeah. If anything I can get the full conversation of the call; whoever is behind this might be really careful so that his calls won’t be able to be traced.”

 

“Do we need to call in for cleaners?” I ask as we slow to a stop at In-Su’s body.

 

“We might just have to…or else the police will look into this.” Derek says, pulling out a cellphone and begins to dial a number. A rule about being in the agency is that whatever business we get involved in for the government is kept at low profile. The cases that the agency receives are usually something that the government wouldn’t want spreading around in the media and are fairly dangerous to handle. Police and the like are given false stories to explain certain events so as to not get them involved; a local shooting, terrorism, gang violence, etc.

 

Once everything was settled, we proceed to head back to where we came until Derek’s phone goes off. He answers it swiftly and Cat and I listen in on the conversation.

 

“Ah…yeah…yours too huh?” Derek sighs heavily. “...The only thing we have that might help us get a lead is a call our target received moments before he was shot, we still have to analyze it. We’ll keep up to date with each other but be careful, we might be suspected….Yeah we had a little run in with the shooter but they got away. Yeah, bye.” He hangs up but then disposes the phone in a public trashcan.

 

We eventually made it back to the car park of the COEX Center (by that time I had long since removed my heels). Getting into the car, Cat spoke first before I could about the call.

 

“What happened with 63 building?”

 

“They’re hostage committed suicide without telling them anything useful.” Derek says as he began to drive off. “We have to tread carefully from now on girls, I think they might be onto us after this.”

 

“Does this mean we have to move somewhere else?” I ask.

 

“We might just have to, just to be safe.”

 

I heave a tired sigh, knowing how tomorrow was going to be a busy day and I settle into the car seat, drifting my eyes shut to rest them but somehow dozing off.