Prologue

Undercover

I took in a steady breath, breathing deeply then letting it out noiselessly. My hands and arms were frozen in their position, locked with the sniper rifle in my grip. I peered through the scope, making sure I had my target on the crosshairs; a tall, burly looking man standing guard, scanning the area around the dark building for trespassers. It was a cold night in Naples, Italy; I was covered from head to toe in black, making me easily blend into the darkness of the rooftop I was currently staked out at.

"Cobra to Mongoose; what's your stat? Over."

"Mongoose to Cobra; I have my target in sight, currently on standby. Over." I replied lowly into the earpiece I had on. A static noise rang through as another line tapped in.

"This is base to Cobra and Mongoose; we are in position to raid, permission to fire when ready. Over."

"This is Mongoose; preparing to fire in three, two..." I took one last good look at my target (ever so diligently alert), took another steady breath in and let it out half way. "one." My finger squeezed the trigger and the rifle recoiled slightly on my shoulder from the fire, the empty shell bouncing out of the chamber. An echoing fire sounded off not too far from me and taking a glance at my scope again, my target was now slumped over on the ground. I relaxed my shoulders, breathing the rest of my air out in satisfaction.