Chapter Three: Smooth Criminals

Undercover

Author's note: Just so you know, majority of the conversation are in English between Derek, Mich, and Cat unless I indicate that it's in Korean or something else. Same thing goes for other characters that aren't the three main ones (conversations are in Korean unless I indicate it as being something else).

Italics I guess as of now are phone conversations or something that is not of dialogue/narrarating. Other than that, off you go! :D

Bonus! : * (Asterisks) indications - I will be very impressed if you know where I reference the marked sentences from :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning we woke up early to get prepared and ready for our stake out. Derek greets us and at a small, private cafe in the hotel lobby, we discuss on how to carry out our plan.

"Our only solid lead we have right now is him," Derek starts, sliding a small photographic picture of a business looking man across the table in the booth we were in. His looks were that of an average Korean man in his thirties; the thick framed glasses he had on made him look more spiffy with his pressed suit but definitely made his eyes bug out a bit more than they should. "In-Su Kim. Director and head of office at the World Trade Building Seoul. A close acquaintance of King from the past and now an informant for him; making transactions with other men so that when King makes his move, he'll be sure to gain control of Korea's trade economy from the inside-out easily."

"So if we tail this guy he's bound to lead us to other members of the party because no doubt, King has more than one guy doing his dirty work; maybe even get a lead on when specifically King plans on making his mark on S. Korea." I said reasonably.

"Exactly."

"So I think the most productive plan here..." Cat starts, "is that you guys should spend quality 'uncle-niece' time at the World Trade Centre Seoul while I," Cat pauses dramatically, jabbing a thumb to herself while grinning. "be anti-social and just stick to playing on my laptop."

I glance at her weirdly, "If that's your code way of saying, 'I'm gonna go hacking' instead of 'I'll stay in the hotel and play World of Warcraft' then okay sure." I joke.

Derek laughs and sips on his coffee, "Well, sounds like a good plan."

"Good but I'm gonna need my own car." Cat adds.

"And that's when the good sounding plan turns bad..." I deadpan. Cat gasps as if insulted and smacks my shoulder.

"FYI I'm very well capable of driving as I do have my full license Ms. I-have-yet-to-complete-a-road-test." I roll my eyes at the jab she gave me. So what if I didn't get my full license yet? It's not my fault each time I do the road test the examiner I get are always so damn picky.

"Car rentals are somewhere close by here. I'll give you directions to it and all you have to do is show them ID, your license and say you're a foreigner on vacation in need of a car." Derek says.

"Oh great, gotta brush up on my Korean..." Cat mopes. "Hopefully they're good at charades."

"I'm sure you'll be fine. Anyways, finish up breakfast, then we'll get going."

We did as we're told and Cat soon found herself at a local car rental place (hopefully she'll survive the language barrier) while Derek and I found ourselves on the grounds of the World Trade Centre Seoul.

"This place is massive..." I mutter to myself, casually strolling around with a slightly modified DSLR camera. Derek and I had parted ways to cover more ground, leaving me by myself to wander with the usual earpiece as a means of communicating with my colleagues. I watch through the lens of my grey fade aviator shades as a mixture of people bustle about the place; tourists, locals, businessmen and many other.

"You think King would want to hi-jack the trade building more...or the mall...?" Cat's voice rang through my Bluetooth disguised earpiece. I walk a little closer to the tall trade building, holding up my camera pretending to take a picture when really I super zoomed in on one of the windows, seeing people in their offices working. Then zoomed in on the front entrance, watching people entering and exiting closely; still no signs of our hit. "I think it's in his favor to get the trade building....but this place is practically an ideal base to have in South Korea. If I were him, I'd take everything...including the mall." I lower my camera to brush the hair of my dark, ash blonde wig.

"How's the hacking going?" I ask, making my way to the Coex Mall like a tourist I was.

"Beautifully." Cat replies. "I managed to find the power circuit and wiring for the trade building in one of the underground subways; don't ask. Tagged it so now we got a live feed of the video monitors they have and remote access to the system to override it if we need to.*"

"Impressive..." I said, glancing around the mall as I strolled through it: really, it's a pretty nice mall.... "And building blueprints?"

"Got that too. Derek, how's sightseeing for you?"

"Zhen was right when she said this place is an ideal base; keep a sharp eye. Have you found our target?"

"Negative."

"He doesn't seem to be in the building either from what I'm seeing." Cat also adds.

I stop to browse at a store window; I could just buy everything that's in it. My God those shoes...

Something bumps into me and threw me off balance a bit. I had to steady myself on my peep toe, black pumps.

"Ah! Mianhe!" Someone's hands suddenly land on each of my shoulder and suddenly my reflexes kicks in. Doing a quick evasive maneuver, I had the person flipped over my shoulder before they could even blink, landing with a painful thud on their back in front of me. Looking down, my eyes almost bulge out of their sockets; I had to shift my shades up to make sure I was looking at the person I thought it was...which it was, so naturally my mouth drops open in a huge gasp and I quickly kneel down.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?! I didn't mean to!"

"Oh my God don't tell me you just flipped some poor civilian..." I heard Cat say but I ignore her.

"Oww...." was the only thing he moans out as I help him sit up. I glance around, no one seems to be staring that much but even if they did, they just watch from afar. I turn back to my victim.

"I swear I didn't mean to do that, I have really terrible reflex reactions and-"

"Ahaha, no it's fine. Bad? I thought that was pretty good if you were being jumped." He laughs as we straighten ourselves up. He fixes the beanie he had, hiding light brown dyed fringes and his own pair of shades.

"I still feel really bad...uhh you sure you're not hurt or anything?" I ask worriedly glancing up at him due to the major height difference; damn Korean male idols are so tall!

"No...just a sore back now I guess." He chuckles a bit, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Okay get out of there Cinderella before you draw too much attention." Cat scowls me from my earpiece.

"Uhh...Sorry again." I said awkwardly. "You should you know...get going..."

"Oh yeah...Don't worry though, I'm fine. Really." He says, smiling a bit awkwardly as well. "Umm...Bye." He waves and then proceeds to go on his way again before he was assaulted by a girl. I in turn also start to walk the opposite direction of him, feeling my face burn a bit from the embarrassment.

"What was that all about?" Cat prods.

"I just flipped a dude over my shoulder..." I mumble embarrassingly.

"I knew it! You need to relax, you only do that when you're tense about something."

"That's not even the worse part. It was Kevin that I flipped."

"....What? Kevin? KEVIN? As in U-Kiss?!"

"Yes Kevin from U-Kiss!" I hiss. "His fault; he bumped into me and then grabbed my shoulders."

"Are you sure it was him?"

"Yeah, he spoke English fluently and his voice is distinct."

"Was he by himself?"

"Yeah, luckily and no one recognized him from his genius, typical idol disguise..." I continue, walking out of the mall and onto the streets again around the centre. "Probably snuck out."

"....Was he hot in person?"

"No he looked like a sugar plum fairy that he is." I reply sarcastically.

"Man, your first meeting with a K-Pop idol and you go ninja assassin on him." Cat laughs. I roll my eyes, trying hard not to just curl up in a corner forever.

"Hey girls, I just got a tip from 63 building team. They've spotted In-Su making a transaction with another one of King's men recently on their side." Derek's voice rang out. I stop to take a look around, playing my civilian role.

"Is he still there? And what about the accomplice?" I ask, holding up two fingers to my Bluetooth earpiece.

"They're tailing the accomplice and are planning to make a grab for him soon. In-Su however left as soon as the deal was done, one of our agents planted a tracker on his car and says it's heading back to where we are."

"How long ago did he leave?" I quickly made my way back to the Trade Tower to get a clear view of the entrance.

"Little less than half an hour ago."

"It takes an hour and fifteen to make it from Yeouido island to Teheranno. So I say we should expect him in forty-five minutes?" Cat says.

"We should regroup around the Trade Tower and keep it under watch till he arrives. Tran, you think you can get an audio surveillance on his mobile?"

"Hell I'll even do it for his office phone too..." Cat says. "Always wanted to try this; crack into the phone company's remote monitoring system and fool it into thinking there's a legal tap on the line. Then reroute the digital copies of his calls to our own listening post.*"

"Looks like someone's been taking extra crash courses in hacking...." I comment, smiling at her inner computer-genius. She was always the better hacker than me but I'm always the better shooter.

"How long will it take?" Derek asks and as I look to my right, I see him emerge from a crowd of people, dressed in casual clothing like all of us and appeared to be talking on his cell phone. I slowly begin to make my way to him.

"I'll hopefully have it running by the time he gets here, then all I need to complete the set up is a call from his mobile or office phone to establish the signal. The office phone trace might take a while because I gotta find his actual phone line but the mobile shouldn't take too long if things run smoothly."

"Cat where are you?" I ask, scanning the cars that were parked off to the side on Teheran-Ro near the Coex Centre. A white van that looks like the ones K-Pop idols usually use was amongst them and I had a gut feeling that that was Cat's mobile hacking base.

"The white van you're looking at right now." Derek must've heard too as he too began to make his way over to her car with me following a few meters behind. We arrive in front of the sliding side doors of the car and immediately it slides open, revealing Cat sitting in the space where the back seats used to be. Occupying almost every corner and along the walls were modems, signal receivers, monitors, and other gadgets you'd expect the FBI would have.

"Holy..." I said as we got in and crouch beside Cat who just grins. "Is this what you packed in your luggage?!"

"Just one of them.." Cat replies non-chalantly as her fingers glide over the keyboard of her laptop, typing and booting up that little phone hack trick she was talking about earlier. We sat in the van for what seems like forever, the only sounds were that of Cat's typing and Derek's occasional shift in position (he had found himself a pair of binoculars and was keeping a close lookout for our target). Eventually In-Su arrives right on time, his sleek Lincoln sedan pulling up in the road in front of the Trade Tower. He steps out of his car as his driver opens his door, head held high and looking very snooty.

"There's our man." Cat says as Derek agrees, training his binoculars on In-Su's figure as he walks towards the building.

"So how are you gonna get his phone signal if he gets a call? Wouldn't there be other disruptive signals?" I ask unsure as I also watch In-Su through the slightly tinted windows of the van.

"Mich my dear you act as if you don't have faith in what I'm doing..." Cat chides, still typing away. She reaches over and grabs something that looks like a small radar gun but obviously wasn't and hands it to me. "Be a stalker will you? Get within 15 meters of him and when you see him get a call, press the trigger and this will be able to transmit the signal back to our listening post."

I nod, taking the device and hid it partially in the boyfriend blazer I was wearing. Stepping out of the vehicle, I made quick strides to get distance and catch up to In-Su, all the while trying to be casual. I came to a good spot, just a little ahead of In-Su and hid behind a large tree. Peeking out from my cover, I watch In-Su closely but still he had made no move to answer his phone. I was starting to worry, he was only a few meters away from entering the Trade Building.

"C'mon, make a call or something!" I mutter under my breath irritatingly. As if someone had answered my prayers, In-Su steps slows a bit as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out his cell phone, presses a button and puts the phone to his ear. Immediately I whip out the radar gun and squeeze the trigger. The little screen it had changes from 'ready' to 'transmitting' and finally 'complete'.

"Good job Mich." Cat praises through the earpiece I still had on. I start to slink my way back to the van and upon entering, Cat was still typing but an audio conversation was evidently playing, loud enough for only us to hear.

"Looks like I underestimated you guys a bit." Derek admits as he listens in on the conversation.

"No biggie, it happens all the time." Cat replies, she pauses a bit to hear the conversation. I do too and manage to pick out small talks about business and what not (probably from his colleagues, it didn't seem to relate to anything about King's operations).

"What are you doing tonight?" His colleague asks.

"Me? I don't know, I was planning on heading over to Gold Spa at 7 to unwind a bit. These days I'm so stressed with work and everything!"

"Gold Spa huh...?" Cat muses, pulling up a search engine to locate the spa. "Over in the Seocho district, just beside Gangnam."

"I've always wanted to go to a Korean spa...." I said casually but can't help the grin that was making my way onto my face.

"Same here..." Derek agrees. "So I think it's anonymously agreed that we'll head over the spa tonight girls?"

Cat and I smirk and seeing as how business was taken care of here, we head back to our hotel to prepare. We arrive to the Spa before the scheduled time, booking ourselves in first and actually enjoying the spa for the time being.

"Ice sikhye is pretty good." Cat comments as we lounge around the resting area, snacking on crackers and such. I sip from my ice coffee, glancing at Cat with a questioning stare.

"Really?" I start, putting down my ice coffee and reaching my hand out to her in a way of asking for the drink. She passes it to me and I take a sip from the straw, letting the sweet flavour set on my tongue. I kiss my teeth a couple of times in a way a person does when they judge a new dish. I nod in approval, handing her back her drink. "Pretty good. Maybe I should get some." At this time, Derek walks over to us with his own ice coffee as well, dressed in the jjimjilbang clothes like the rest of us (T-shirts and shorts) except he had those head towels on.

"I just saw him checking in," Derek remarks as he sat down casually. "You guys know the sketch right?"

"Yup..." I say as I took a cracker and ate it. We wait for a few more minutes before finally In-Sun emerges into the resting room, stretching a bit before heading off in the direction of the sleeping rooms. To others we appear as if we're just eating and drinking (Cat was watching the TV monitor in the room), but in fact we were keeping a very close eye on where this man was going. After a few minutes of just lounging, Derek gets up (having finished his ice coffee).

"I'm just gonna go take a nap." He says to us. We nod in acknowledgement before he walks off. A few minutes after his departure, I got up and stretch my arms.

"A nap sounds like a good idea..." Cat got up after me and we both head towards the sleeping rooms. There were two separate areas for sleeping; obviously one for men and one for women. We didn't enter in on the women's side but just loiter around the entrance. A few more minutes of just pretending to look through pamphlets and the door to the men's side opens. We glance out of the corner of our eyes and saw that it was Derek as he strides towards us.

"How was your nap?" I ask.

"Great. Better than I expect it." He says as he slips Cat a locker key. I raise an eyebrow at it; I was gonna have to ask how Derek manage to get a hold of it so smoothly. "So much so that I think I'm gonna go take another one. Just wanted to check on you girls in case you were bored."

"Nope, we're good." Cat replies. Derek nods and before heading back, he mutters, "You've got 10 minutes." then he leaves. As soon as the door was closed, we made our way to the lockers.

"What number?"

"224."

We scan the rows, trying to find the number and eventually locate it with no problem. Acting as if this was actually our locker, we open it and I began to rummage through In-Su's stuff. My hand eventually lands on what I was looking for.

"Palm pilot." I said under my breath and slip it to Cat who quickly went to work with it; downloading his data onto the handheld device we had. Rummaging through more stuff, I manage to find his work ID, a card key, and the keys to his car. We took a picture of his ID card and made a key mold out of his car keys. We place everything back and lock the locker again; scurrying our way to the sleeping rooms. Derek was outside waiting and Cat tosses the keys to him (which he caught smoothly with one hand) before going back in. Cat and I chose this time to head to the resting area to wait for Derek like we had planned. I took a glance around; surprised that no one seems to really notice what had just occurred. The ahjummas and ahjusshis were pretty much too pre-occupied with sauna related things to even care.

I smile to myself at the thought; we're too smooth.

"Honestly I thought this would be a lot harder." I admit as Cat and I just stood off to one side, watching TV again.

"I guess it's cuz people these days only expect these kinds of things in movies, not real life. After all, the world doesn't even know we exist..." Cat remarks just as we see Derek. Wordlessly, we change back to our clothes and exit the spa.

"Derek how exactly did you manage to get In-Su's locker key without him noticing?" I ask once we start to drive.

"Got friendly, said I knew him and introduced myself as an aspiring businessman like him; small talked then offered to give him a back massage, pushed a few pressure points and knocked him out for a couple of minutes. When he woke up, I just told him he dozed off. Totally bought the entire thing."

"Wow...smooth." Cat said mildly impressed from the backseat.

"Find anything good?" Derek asks.

"Yeah, I got an agenda. Says here he's scheduled to make another transaction at a party hosted in the COEX Center Grand Ballroom tomorrow afternoon." Cat replies.

"Ah he mentioned that to me during our conversation; he said if I wanted I could come; says that a lot of well-known businessmen, entrepreneurs and big company owners are gonna be there."

"Hmmm...So who's up for crashing a party?" I say, smirking.

"Don't have to tell me twice."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

First appearance of a K-Pop idol xD Patience now, I know hardly any has made their appearance in the story but in due time! Can't really expect them to be wandering around on the streets all the time. But in the meantime, please review and comment :D