Just Like Me

To Love A Human

A/N: a huge thank you to -Muasbby for helping me to come up with ideas for this chapter <3

 


 

Luck seemed to be on Kris’s side that day.

First, the professor was late for their first class so he got a chance to talk a little bit more with Chaeyoung. Second, the cafeteria seemed to be serving all of his favorite meals. And last but not the least, it turned out that their next class project was to be done in pairs. However, when partners were about to be picked, Kris immediately looked over to Luhan, silently telling him to find another partner – and also to tell him that he planned on pairing up with Chaeyoung.

 

They sat next to each other right after, and Chaeyoung was oblivious to the side glances Kris kept giving her while they were discussing the preparations for the project. Also, Kris was keeping a close eye on each one of his friends, making sure they wouldn’t do anything stupid to let Chaeyoung know about what he felt for her. He only came back to his senses after he heard her say,

“So, we have 4 weeks to finish the project. If you want, maybe we could start early?” she looked up at him.

“U-uh, sure. The earlier, the better.”

Chaeyoung nodded and gave him a smile before returning to her seat.

“Someone looks whipped..”  Luhan snickered behind him as he sat down.

 

A few hours after lunch, Kris wandered into the library to look for journals and books to impress Chaeyoung for their project. He scanned each shelf, trying to find the perfect resource when one book in particular caught his eye.

 

Wolves: The Truths Behind the Legends” Kris mumbled.

Aside from the old-fashioned artwork and design of the book, it looked like It hadn’t been checked out much by other students – judging from the amount of dust it had fallen into Kris’s hands.

Kris immediately forgot about doing his ‘research’ and focused on that one book and spent a good 3 hours in the library. Just reading about wolves in books was already unusual for him…but to have one living in your house? For Kris, that was a whole other story.

 

 

It was nearing 4pm when Kris got home. He placed his bag on the coffee table near the door and was about to go up to his room when he noticed a huge package resting on the very table he put his bag on.

 He tore open the package and was surprised to see a crisp, expensive black and white suit, along with Italian leather shoes. A small note was also attached on the lid of the box,

‘Honey, tonight is the 23rd Annual Seoul Gala, and our whole family needs to be present. I took the liberty of choosing an outfit for you so you wouldn’t have to think about it anymore. Be there by 8pm.

Love, Mom

*You have to bring a date too.’

 

“A date? Really?” he sighed. But his thoughts were quickly interrupted when Yejin ran down the stairs – a smile etched on her face as she turned to him.

“You’re home.” she announced.

Before Kris had any chance to give her a sarcastic reply, his mind instantly had an idea that would save him from his problem about the gala.

‘Mom would kill me if I disobeyed her.. I have no other choice..’

“Yejin, have you ever been to a gala before?” Kris started

 

 

Yejin lost count of how many times she tried to adjust her dress in front of the mirror “Kris, are you sure this dress is supposed to be like this..?”

“Just wear it how I told you to!”

“Psh…meanie.”

After a few more inner conflicts she had with herself, Yejin finally stepped out of her room. The dress that Kris quickly picked out for her was a perfect fit. The strapless design showed her flawless arms and shoulders, the gold sash accentuating her thin waist, and the white color of the gown making her pale skin glow even more.

Kris didn’t even notice how long he was staring until Yejin waved her hand in front of him.

“Is it that bad?”

He coughed “N-No, it looks fine. Come on, the driver’s waiting for us outside”

 

 

Eyes were looking at them from every direction, and various whispers could be heard from among the other wealthy families at the gala.

“Is that Kris Wu’s new beau?”

“She looks like a amazing in that dress.. I knew I should’ve worn white!”

“What family is that young girl from?”

 

“Kris…” she tugged on his arm “Are you really sure it’s okay for me to be here? I’m…not like you, or anyone here.”

Kris knew she wasn’t talking about her social status, but about her identity – as a wolf.

“Nobody will ever be suspicious, just trust me okay?”

Yejin smiled weakly and nodded at him, but also asked another question, “Why did you bring me here? I mean,  I’m sure you had other options.”

He looked at her, trying to formulate a polite response. So, he said the simplest thing he could,

“I just wanted to.”

Yejin seemed elated about his answer because right after he spoke, she put on a grin for him and asked him if he wanted to dance.

 

“And where do you think you’re going, Kris?”

Both of them turned around, only to find Kris’s parents walking towards them.

“Mom. Dad.” he said as he hugged both of them.

“And who might this young lady be?”

“Um..this is Yejin.”

His parents started eyeing her as if she was their prey.

“It’s nice to meet both of y-you.” Yejin bowed respectfully.

 

“Finally! A girl who knows how to respect her elders.” Kris’s father smiled “Every girl your age we have seen here doesn’t know how to properly address those who are older than them.”

“It’s very nice to meet you too, my dear.” Kris’s mother joined in. “We’ll meet up with you two again later, okay? But for now we have to talk to a few other partners. If you’ll excuse us..”

And again, both of them bowed lightly to the elders as they retreated to mingle with the other businessmen.

 

2 hours had passed with Yejin constantly trailing behind Kris as he went on from family to family, talking about business and other matters about his family’s company. It intrigued Yejin that he looked like a different person when he was at home and when he was out as Kris Wu, the son of one of the wealthiest businessmen in Seoul.

But eventually, Kris had to take a break and was now getting refreshments for him and Yejin after she had begged him for something to drink. Yejin didn’t want to eat either – all of the food prepared on the tables looked completely foreign to her and she chose to just have something to drink.

 

She was waiting at their table when she felt someone standing beside her chair.

Yejin turned around to find a tall and handsome man in a gray suit, with a smile as he looked down at her.

“Would you like to dance?”

Her mind was telling her no, but there was an attraction she had towards him that she couldn’t explain, so she ended up on the dance floor with her arms loosely wrapped around his neck.

“Who are you..?” she whispered

He smirked “Do you really want to know?”

 

Suddenly, Yejin remembered that she was supposed to be waiting at the table for Kris. She looked over his shoulder and to the table – only to find Kris smiling and having a conversation with another young woman. She looked about his age and judging from the way she acted, she was probably the spoiled daughter of one of the families attending the gala.

“Boyfriend trouble?” She was brought back to reality by his words.

“He’s not my--”

“Good.”

She raised her eyebrows “Excuse me?”

Instead of giving her a reply, he took her hand and quickly made his way out of the ballroom and down the hallway – out to the balcony.

 

“Hey! Let go of my hand!” She pulled her hand away and stepped back

“I’m just having some fun, Yejin..”

“First of all, I don’t even know you so why--”

Wait…did he just call her ‘Yejin’?

She looked directly at his eyes “What did you call me?”

“Isn’t that your name..? Yejin?”

“Yes, but..”

He was amused at her expression “How did I know your name?”

Yejin didn’t let her guard down when he walked towards her. He reached forward and ran his fingers gently around her shoulders, only stopping before he spoke again.

‘I-I need to get back to Kris.’

“Come on, Yejin. Kris won’t be mad if we had a little fun. Besides, he looked pretty occupied with that chaebol daughter inside.”

She grew alarmed at his statement ‘How did he..’

“Read your mind?”

 

There it was again! Yejin turned around and gave him a cold, hard look before she started to walk back to the hallway.

“I’m just like you, Yejin!” he shouted after her and made her stop at her tracks.

The young man once again moved closer to her “You shouldn’t be afraid of me.” he whispered – just before his eyes turned blood red.

 

“Y-You’re a wolf!” she exclaimed “I can’t believe it…another one of my kind, here..”

Yejin’s expression turned into one of joy. Joy of finally being able to find someone who was just like her.

“But how did you find me? Or read my mind? As far as I know only--”

“…Alphas have those abilities?” he finished for her.

 

 

He smiled and extended his hand out to her.

“My name is Kim Jaejoong.”