2. A Kind Stranger

To Love A Human

“What the hell am I even doing?”

“I knew I should’ve taken her to a hospital…or a police station!”

“Please don’t let her be dead…Please don’t let her be dead..”

 

These were just some of the things that were running through Kris’s mind. But of course, who wouldn’t go insane at the sight of a bloodied half- woman lying on your kitchen floor?

He had been waiting for over 2 hours after tending to the woman’s wounds. ‘Who would do something so cruel?’ he thought.

“Maybe I should check on her again..”

Kris opened the door to the guest room and found her still lying on the bed, with the same position he put her in 2 hours ago. He thought that maybe the pain from her wounds kept her from being able to move properly.

 

He was brought out from his thoughts by the sound of a soft groan in the room.

Kris watched as she clutched her head and attempt to sit upright. But after noticing that she was in an unfamiliar room, she stopped to glance at the man right in front of her.

 

“You..” she started “Did you do this?” Her slim fingers swept across the bandages. It was then she noticed that she was fully clothed as well.

“I did. A-And I was supposed to get you to a hospital, but..”

“But what?”

His eyes met hers “You told me not to, just before you passed out.”

 

 

FLASHBACK

“Let’s get going, this is the last delivery for the day.”

Yejin had woken up just in time. She waited until the truck had stopped before peering out the back. She was having an internal debate with herself on where she should go. Sure, there were lots of houses in this neighbourhood, but she couldn’t just waltz into any home.

“Hang on, I need to get something from inside the truck, you go on ahead.” Her eyes widened.

Without much thought, Yejin got off before the two men could sense her presence and decided to walk to the next house where they had parked the truck.

Still limping, she used an old, worn out cloth from one of the boxes in the truck to cover herself as she made her way to the front door. It was already dark outside and the street lights were fairly dim, so she was able to pass by undetected.

Using whatever little strength she had left, she forced the door to open, but was still able to leave it in tact.

 

‘Isn’t there anyone here?’ she thought as she tried to grab onto something to steady herself.

‘Please…anybody..’ she begged in her mind.

After limping for a few more steps, Yejin just slumped down beside the kitchen counter and waited. Waited for anyone who would eventually come and see her.

 

It was the perfect timing, too. Not long after she got inside, Kris was already following….right after saying goodbye to his neighbor, Luhan. And although he missed the fact that the door was already unlocked, he didn’t fail to see the bloodied footprints on his floor.

“What the…”

He mumbled before carefully putting his bag down and grabbing the nearest umbrella to use as a weapon.

Kris groaned silently ‘Great, Kris. You have a possible murderer or burglar in your house and you have an umbrella to defend yourself… Well, it’s better than nothing’

His footsteps were light and cautious as he followed the footprints.

But he got something else than what he had planned in his imagination.

And she wasn’t one of them.

 

Yejin squinted her eyes after sensing his presence. She tried to reach out to him but it only resulted to her letting out a painful groan.

Kris immediately dropped his umbrella, still shocked at the sight.

“Please..n-no doctors..” mumbled Yejin

“Save me..”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

“Thank you….” she paused, as if asking for his name.

“Kris. My name is Kris.” he finished for her

“Thank you, Kris.”

“And you?”

She looked up at him and gave him a small smile “…Yejin.”

Not knowing what else to say, the two of them avoided each other’s eye contact for a while, both choosing to remain silent for a moment.

He decided to break the silence, speaking “Why didn’t you want to be treated by doctors?” He scrunched up his brows “Surely, you’ll be able to recover faster if—“

“I just don’t.” Yejin cut him off. Kris sensed there was something with the tone of her voice

“I was just saying—“

“Then don’t.” she did it again.

Maybe it was the tone of her voice, or the look on her face. But whatever it was, it made Kris feel guilty about asking. Instead of speaking, he made his way to the door and showed himself out.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you.” Kris mumbled before closing the door.

 

 

 

A few more hours passed and it was already Saturday morning. And Kris usually stayed home to relax, or go out with his friends. But as soon as he woke up this morning and remembered last night’s events, he knew it would be best to do the former.

Without bothering to check up on her, Kris went down to the kitchen and started making breakfast.

 

‘Eggs and bacon as always.’ He thought as he put the food into two separate plates. He also set out a pitcher of water and juice, not knowing his guest’s preference.

He was about to come up and call her down for breakfast, but was surprised to see Yejin already standing at the foot of the stairs.

Little did he know that as soon as he started cooking, Yejin was already at her spot – the scent of food waking her senses.

“C-Can I come and eat?”

Kris made his way back to his seat before nodding “That’s why I set up two plates.”

Yejin bit her lip and sat across his seat, already watering from the sight of the freshly cooked meal in front of her. She didn’t even think twice and just dug into her plate, chewing quickly and swallowing hastily while the man in front of her only stared.

It was only until her plate was empty did she notice that Kris’ food was untouched and he had spent the entire 5 minutes watching her eat – or rather, scarf – the food down .

Yejin swallowed her last bite of food  before mumbling “I haven’t eaten in days..”

 

Kris immediately felt even more sorry for the girl.

‘Went hungry, check. Got wounded, check. What other things has she gotten herself into?’

Yejin looked up from her lap only to be met with another plate of food.

“Here, you can have mine.”

She stared at him in awe for a few more seconds. Kris was about to take back his plate “If you don’t want it, then..”

“N-No! I want it. I mean, I wanted to say—“

“It’s no problem.”

She smiled again, only a little bit more this time “Thank you again, Kris.”

 

 

After breakfast, the two of them sat in the living room, and Kris was the first to speak,

“If you’re feeling better, I can call someone to pick you up, or I can help you go home.”

Somehow, Yejin didn’t like the sound of what came out of his lips.

Was he kicking her out? Where was she to go? Would she have to survive another day in the forest which was now being patrolled by hunters every other night?

He sensed her uneasiness and immediately apologized “I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?”

It took her a few minutes before she responded in a soft voice,

 

“I have nowhere else to go, Kris.” fiddling her fingers had become a habit of hers today.

She looked up at him, pleading “Please let me stay..I-I won’t be a bother to you! I’ll only stay here..”

 

‘Is she serious..?’

Kris was lost in his own thoughts. Sure, his friends have stayed over countless of times before but this was different. They were his friends while Yejin was someone he barely knew, and someone he had just met last night..

Nonetheless, Kris felt sorry and remorse for her that he decided to nod in response, sighing loudly “You can stay.”

Yejin’s eyes lit up “R-Really?”

“But only for a few more days alright?” he pointed his finger at her

“Just a few more days..I promise.” She thought it would be best not to tell him anything…for now. But still, she was greatly thankful to the man who had given her shelter and food without even knowing who she was.

 

“I can’t thank you enough, Kris.”

“You already have. Three times.” He said amusingly

“And I meant every single one.”

 

 

 


 

 

 

A/N: a longer chapter for you guys ^^

PS. thank you to I-Love-EXO and scattered for subscribing :)