Chapter 6

The Illegitimate Bride

Chungae POV

I saw a bunch of guys pile through the door of Mark's place, taking me by surprise. 'Should I go out? Or stay in?' I thought. I had my hand on the handle, about to push it open, when I saw two of them sprint forward. I didn't really recognise them with the sky turning dark, but I noticed the second guy had red hair, like Mark. I watched them run up to the window. The first guy tapped on my window, bending down to my eye level with a big smile, but then he froze. 

My eyes slowly widened, realizing who was in front of me. 

"..Park Jinyoung..." I whispered. This was not how I was supposed to meet them again! My heartbeat started to escalate, but I couldn't let go of his strong gaze until he was yanked back by Mark. I started to breathe heavily, panicking. "Oh my gosh, what do I do!?" I said to myself, glancing down at my hands. I glanced back up to see Mark standing with his back towards me. Then he slowly turned around, worry in his eyes. He slowly opened my door. 

"Chungae, can you come out?" he asked quietly. I nodded and bit my lip nervously. 'What do I say to them!?' I thought. I stepped out of the car, and looked up at Jinyoung. He had gotten much taller and had more muscles now too. 

"HYUNG! WHERE'S OU--Omona." I turned to my left and looked up to find Jackson stuck in his spot. "..Chungae!?" he said. He slowly walked forward, pushing past Mark. I stared at him as he stood in front of me. He put his hand on my shoulders, then cupped my face, squeezing it. 

"Are you...really my baby G? My honey? My yeobo?" he said, searching my eyes. I slowly nodded, feeling the tears start to come up again. Jackson laughed and embraced me in a hug. 

"HONEY! YOU'RE BACK!" he yelled, squezing me against his chest. I chuckled, but tears slipped down my cheeks. "Oppa," I said. He rocked me back and forth before pulling away and grabbing my face again. 

"You're...you're so pretty! You've grown so much! Gosh, hun! Where have you been!?" he exclaimed. He wiped away my tears with his thumbs before embracing me and escorting me inside. I glanced back at Jinyoung who was staring at Mark. Before I could say anything though, Jackson had already pushed me inside. He poked my side, making me squeal. 

"Yup, you're still my Chungae!" he said. I laughed and swatted his hand away. "Oppa! Don't!" I cried out. 

"NOONA!" I turned around to see a very tall Yugyeom run towards me, whisking me up. I yelled out in surprise. "YUGYEOM-AH!" I yelled, my hands on his shoulders. 

"YAH, YAH! LET HER DOWN!" Jackson said, kicking Yugyeom in his leg. "Hyung~!" he whined. When he set me back down, he embraced me again. "Noona! I missed you so much!" he cried, squeezing me tightly. 

"Y-Yuyeom-ah! Why are you so tall!? What happened to our baby?" I pinched his cheeks as he laughed out loud. "I'm still here, noona! I've only gotten taller! But I'm still your baby!" he said. JB came by and pushed him away. 

"Yah, stop hogging her!" he exclaimed. I laughed out loud as JB hugged me and walking off with me to the other couch. "Chungae, what took you so long to come back? Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded, "Yeah. I'm fine." He pulled me against him and put my head on his shoulder, "Oppa missed you so much! Gee, I thought you had something against me!" he said, laughing. 

"NOONA!" BamBam yelled out, jumping on the sofa. He circled his arms around my waist and leaned his head against my shoulder. I put an arm around him. "Aigoo, our BamBam! How are you? Did you visit home yet?" I asked, taking my head off of JB's shoulder. BamBam nodded, "Yeah, I did. My little sister misses you too. She misses hearing you sing. Did you know she would listen to your voice recording and cry herself to sleep every night when you left?" 

I laughed and patted his hair, "Really? Tell her I'm sorry then. I'll record another song for her." BamBam nodded while laughing. "Okay, I'll let her know! She's going to be ecstatic!" he said. I laughed before I noticed that I wasn't greeted by someone. 

I got up from my seat and walked over to the kitchen where Youngjae was sitting on a stool, looking at the door. I smiled and made my way towards him. "Youngjae-yah," I called to him. He turned to me and gave me a small smile. "Noona," he said calmly. I walked towrds him and stood in front of him with outstretched arms. 

I noticed his eyes get glassy and watery before he looked down and got up from his seat. He came towards me and hugged me. I squeezed him tightly, slightly rocking him. "I'm sorry, Youngjae. Noona is very sorry," I said, my voice slightly quivering. He shook his head, "Aniya, noona. It's fine," he said. But I felt my shoulder getting a bit wet as I squeezed him closer. 

I rubbed his back comfortingly, "It's okay, Youngjae. It's okay," I whispered. He grasped on to my trenchcoat and let his tears out. Luckily, none of the guys came to bother us. I continued to rock him and pat his back until he was done. 

"I'm sorry, noona. I kind of ruined your coat," Youngjae said sheepishly. I laughed and patted his shoulder, "As long as it was you, it's okay." Youngjae sniffled before standing up, "Noona, go have fun with the guys! Don't waste your time here being all sad and dreary with me!" I gave him a small smile and took his hand, pulling him back down to join me on the opposite stool.

"Nah, I want to catch up with my favorite Youngjae," I said. Youngjae gave me a big smile before sitting down again. I turned my stool towards him, "Now tell me, were the hyungs disruptive? Did they cause a lot of trouble?" 

Youngjae laughed, "Yeah! They did! Y'know, on April Fool's, Jackson and Jinyoung pr---" he was quickly muffled by a hand, taking me by surprise. I looked up at the intruder and noticed Jackson there, laughing nervously. 

"Youngjae-yah, I'm pretty sure Chungae doesn't need to know that! Why don't you tell her about how your senior year is going!?" Jackson exclaimed. I crossed my arms, "Oppa, what did you do?" 

Jackson shook his head, "You don't need to know!" I glared at him, "Oppa! You pranked someone didn't you? What did you do?" I asked again. Jackson stuck out his tongue at me before dragging Youngjae away, his hand still over his mouth. 

"Yah! Oppa!" I yelled after them. Jackson gave me one of his bright smiles before pulling them around the corner, out of my sight. I sighed as I sat at the table, alone. The younger guys were playing with the Play Station now, yelling at each other. 

'I guess this isn't so bad...they haven't asked anything yet...which is weird. The guys I know are always mischievious and loud. Well, they could've changed over the years' I thought to myself. I set my chin in my hand and watched them play. 

'Eunae would be scolding them for being too loud' I thought, chuckling. I saw BamBam throw the controller on the floor and jump in victory. "ASA! HYUNG! YOU HAVE TO EAT A SPOONFUL OF WASABI!" He yelled out, pointing at JB. 

JB groaned in defeat and collapsed onto the sofa, covering his face with a pillow. I chuckled seeing JB in despair.

"Where were you this whole time?" 

I jumped at the sudden voice. I turned to my left to see Jinyoung leaning against the frame of the doorway of the kitchen. I straightened up in my seat, "Oh, J-Jinyoung. What took you so long outside?" I asked. I glanced over his shoulder and saw Mark sitting on the couch with a hand, leaning forward with a hand cupping his cheek. 

I looked back at Jinyoung as he sat in the stool Youngjae had preoccupied. "Chungae, why didn't you tell us anything? You had us all so worried," he whispered. I looked down at my hands, "I'm sorry, I wasn't really in the greatest state of mind at the time," I said. I heard Jinyoung sigh as he stood up and went behind me, giving me a backhug. 

"At least you're back now," Jinyoung said, leaning his chin on my shoulder. I nodded in answer, before I heard my name being called. "Chungae! Come over here~!" Jackson sang to us. I looked up and got out of Jinyoung's arms. 

"Okay!" I called back. I glanced at Jinyoung and he gave me one of his signature smiles. He slung an arm around me and escorted me to the living room.

When we got there, I noticed that all six of them were already sitting around the table, the gaming console turned off. I took the empty seat next to Mark. 

"So," Jackson began, "I just thought it would be nice if we could get a little information about you. How have you been? Where did you go? How was it there?" he said. I sighed and clasped my hands together. 

"Well, mother suggested me to go to America...so I went. It was a huge change for me; I stayed with my aunt and uncle there and finished highschool there instead. I graduated with good grades and went to college, and now I'm back. There isn't really anything special that happened to me," I said. 

BamBam raised a hand, "Did you make new American friends? You didn't replace us, did you?" I chuckled and shook my head. "No, I didn't. How could I ever do that? But yes, I did make new friends though. Only two. They're both siblings." 

BamBam nodded slowly in understanding. Yugyeom raised a hand, "Noona, why did you come back with Mark? You were in his car..." 

I glanced at Mark, as he raised his gaze towards me. "I, uh...we," I sighed and bit my lip.

"Well, we--" "We're getting married." 



I stared at Mark in surprise, but he was looking down at the table. The whole room went silent at Mark's sudden news. 

I glanced around and noticed their bugged out eyes and open mouths. Jinyoung was the only one who's mouth wasn't open. Jackson was the first to recover from the shock. 

"Y-Yah! You can't get married right when you get back! I don't approve! At least give it a year!" he protested. Mark glanced at him, "We're not getting married right away. We have four months before the actual reception." 

Jackson stood up, "Still! Chungae, you can't possibly agree to this!" he said, glancing at me. I shook my head slowly, "I don't have a say in this," I answered. I glanced at him and then at the faces of the other boys. 

"Congrats then," Jinyoung mumbled. I glanced at him in surprise as he looked at me with a piercing stare. I knew from that look, that he was hiding something from me. He knew something I didn't. And he didn't approve. 

"Jiny--" I was cut off by his cellphone going off. He glanced at the cellphone before glancing at me. He stood up and went to his cellphone. I sighed and slouched in my spot. 'Was something wrong?' I thought. 

He returned after a couple of minutes. "Sorry, but I kinda have to go now. It's late, so you guys get some sleep." He flashed us all a smile before turning around towards the door. But I knew. I knew that the smile was fake. 

I hesitated to whether or not to go after him, but I thought too long. I heard his engine start and leave. I cast my eyes down in disappointment. 

"Chungae, I'll take you home. It's pretty late," Mark said, getting up from his spot. I nodded, feeling kind of down again. The guys each came up and gave me farewell hugs. 

"We'll come visit or something tomorrow!" BamBam said, waving from the doorway. "Hey! The house better be spotless when I come back!" Mark yelled. BamBam gave him an 'OK' sign before going back inside and closing the door. 

"You still live at the same place, right?" Mark asked, pulling the car out of the driveway. "Yeah, I do," I said, looking out the window. 

I didn't bother to turn around to see his nod. The ride became quiet and awkward once again. My lips were itching for a yawn. 

I covered my mouth while yawning. I leaned my head against the window, closing my eyes for a moment. But when I did, I had fallen asleep. I don't know how long I was out, but when I opened my eyes, Mark was in front of me. 

He was staring straight into my face. My heart raced at the close proximity. Mark looked into my eyes for a moment before he turned away. "We're here. It's midnight. I'd advise you to get some sleep in your bed." 

I unbuckled myself and got out of his car. We both awkardly stood there for a moment. "Uh...I'll go now...good night." I murmured. 

Mark nodded as got back into his car. I turned around and watched him drive out of the driveway and turn the corner. I sighed in disappointment. "Mark really doesn't like me, does he?" I said aloud. I scoffed, upset. 

'I'm following my heart...but what if we're just not meant to be?' I thought.