Chapter 1

The Illegitimate Bride

 

"Mark!" Eunae yelled, dragging me along. I stumbled but followed her as she ran up to a boy with red hair. "Eunae? I thought you had family matters to attend to?" Eunae nodded and chuckled before pulling me towards her. "Yup! This is it! Mark, meet my new sister, Chungae!" 

Mark glanced at me and raised his eyebrows in surprise. We bowed to each other in greeting. "Hi, I'm Mark. I'm a close friend of Eunae's." I nodded, "I've heard a lot about you, then." Mark chuckled and glanced at Eunae. "Is that so?" He laughed before he was called by some other guys. "Well, I'll see you later Chungae. You too, Eunae!" He gave us one final wave before walking away. 

After he was gone, Eunae turned to me. "Excited to meet other people now!?" I shrugged as Eunae flashed me a smile. "Oh, come on! It won't be that bad! I'll walk you to class." I sighed as Eunae shouldered me. "Yah, smile! It improves your appearance!" 

I chuckled at her comment as we walked through the halls. As we passed by, we would get stares and whispers from others around us. 

I opened my mouth to ask Eunae why everyone was staring, but before I could, we had gotten to my classroom. Eunae gave me one last pat on the head. "Have fun!" She continued to wave as she walked backwards, almost tripping. I chuckled to myself, waving goodbye to her. 

When she was out of sight, I made my way inside. As soon as I stepped in, all conversations ceased. I could feel all eyes on me as I walked up to the teacher's desk. "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Cho Chungae. I just moved here." 

The teacher nodded approvingly and motioned me to my seat near the back and at the last row. I qas sitting in front of a boy who hadn't listened to my introduction at all. When I got there, he glanced up at me. He raised an eyebrow. 

"Well, who do we have here?" He asked to no one in particular. He moved his backpack and motioned me down. When I got situated, I felt him lean over my shoulder. 

"Yah, are you Cho Chungae? Sister to Eunae?" I nodded slowly. He flashed me a smile, "Well, hello! I'm a friend of Eunae's. She told me to watch over you, so I will! I'm Park Jinyoung!" He waved at me and I returned it, unsure of what else I should do. 

After that, he left me alone for the rest of the time. When the bell rang signalling lunch, Jinyoung got up with me. "Let's go to lunch!" 

I pointed to my stuff, "Can I at least put my stuff away first and go to the bathroom?" Jinyoung's mouth formed an 'o' in realization before he scratched the back of his head out of embarassment. 

"Oh, well, sure! You can do whatever you want.." Jinyoung murmured. I smiled at how cute he was acting. 

Jinyoung dropped me off at the bathrooms and gave me directions to the lunchroom. "I'll see you there?" He asked me. I nodded before waving him off. 

After doing my business, I washed my hands and stared at my reflection. I had my hair straightened and parted to my left side. I was wearing a uniform that looked so prestigious, not really fitting my appearance. 

I sighed. 'I really don't want to be here,' I thought, fixing my hair. 'I wish Heeyoung Imo was still here..' I sighed again and grabbed a paper towel to wipe the remaining water off my hands. 

As I stepped out of the bathroom, I was greeted by three girls. These girls were all taller than me and glaring down at me. 

"Yah, are you Chungae?" The girl in the middle said. I slowly nodded. The girl on the left scoffed, "You should answer your sunbae, you illegitimate child!" She pushed me, making me stumble back. I caught myself on the doorway of the bathrooms. I knew that if I got in there, it would be the end for me. 

"Answer your sunbae!" The girl on the right said, stepping up really close. "Y-yes, I am," I murmured. The girl closest to me smirked in triumph as the middle girl stepped up again. 

"First, let's get things straight. One, don't you even dare think that just because you're Eunae's sister gives you any popularity on the food chain. You're still illegitimate," she said. I sighed and nodded along to what she said. 'Why does everyone know that I'm illegitimate!?' I thought. 

"Two, whenever I tell you to do something, you do it. Or else there will be consequences. Three, you do not go near any of my boys. Especially not Mark. I'm going to make him mine soon, so watch it. If I see you with them, then you're dead meat, okay?"

I nodded, "Yeh, sunbae." She gave me a smile, "That's great! But..." her smile faded and turned into a glare within a second. "I saw you with Jr. earlier. You already broke one of the rules," she whispered right in my ear. 

My eyes widened in surprise as she pushed me down. "Maybe this will teach you to listen and play by the rules," she said, kicking me in my side with her heel. I grunted in pain as she sent me another kick. I saw her raise her foot, ready to come down on my chest. I closed my eyes, scared. Next thing I know, I hear a yelp from the girl. I open my eyes and struggke into a sitting position. 

The girl was being held by the arm by the guy with red hair. Mark...

The girl's eyes widened in surprise as went slack. "M-Mark! W-What are you doing here!? Shouldn't you b--" 

"Don't even try to sweet talk your way out of this, Sunmi. I saw and heard everything," Mark said. He released his grip on her arm and I noticed how there were red finger marks (haha, marks....) on her arms. 'He must've been infuriated...' I thought. Sunmi's eyes widened before turning to me and glaring as if to say that this was my fault. 

"I would go to lunch if I were you, before I tell someone about what happened," Mark said. Sunmi glanced back at him one last time before her and her posse finally went away. After they turned the corner, Mark bent down to my level. 

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked. He got back up after I nodded and he held out a hand for me to take. I hesitantly took it as he pulled me up, making me fall into his chest. 

"Woah, steady there. I guess she kicked pretty bad, huh?" Mark said, supporting me. I only nodded again, flustered by our close proximity.

That was when I fell for Mark Tuan.