Frosting & Cake

Soy Milk & Twisted Dough Sticks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 47 – Frosting & Cake~

            “The cake lesson will be first today,” informed Suho as he brought out his needed supplies, placing them onto the kitchen station tabletop.

            “What kind of cake will you be giving us advice on?” asked Luhan curiously, leaning over the counter to take a closer look.

            “A chocolate and vanilla marble cake,” answered Suho.

            “Sounds tasty, let’s start,” replied Luhan happily.

            “How do you eat so many sweets and not get sick of it?” questioned Kris bluntly.

            Luhan laughed “I would never get sick of sweets, they’re always tasty and there’s so many to eat too!”

            “Kris, saying that to Luhan is like asking if people get sick of breathing,” added Sehun seriously.

            Luhan grinned and nodded, agreeing with Sehun’s statement.

            “Right,” replied Kris dropping the subject and just accepting it.

            “Okay, anyways I’ll begin, a tip that you should follow is be exact in your measurements when making a cake because if one ingredient is off it can really make the cake turn out horribly,” said Suho quickly gaining Sehun and Luhan’s attention as he grabbed a bowl to pour in flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk. “So when you combine all these ingredients together it’s best if you mix it with a silicon spatula first until it becomes more liquid like rather than using the electric mixer first off, it’ll cause a huge mess,” advised Suho as he stirred the cake batter.

            Sehun and Luhan shared a look and nodded at Suho since they had more than enough experience with electric mixers turning messy.

            After Suho finished stirring the batter together with the silicon spatula, he took out the electric mixer placing it into the batter and pushed the medium speed button, running the electric mixer around the batter until it was finally smooth. “You will only need to use the mixer until the batter is this consistency, now that the batter is made, you’re going to need to place at least three-fourths of a cup of this on the side to use a bit later,” explained Suho as he took out a measuring cup and began pouring in the batter.

            “Now just pour the rest of the batter from the bowl into the baking pan,” said Suho as he took out the pan he had placed on the side at the beginning of the lesson. Turning back towards the measuring cup that had the reserved batter on the side, Suho took out a bag of cocoa powder “Now we can add the cocoa to the cup of batter to make the chocolate batter that we’ll need for the marble cake.” Suho mixed the cocoa powder into the batter thoroughly and then poured the chocolate batter in small increments into the vanilla batter that was sitting in the baking pan “Now just take a spoon, fork, knife, chopstick, whichever works or is available to you and swirl the two batters into some kind of design, make sure not to swirl too much or you won’t even be able to tell that your cake is supposed to be a marble cake anymore.”

            As Suho talked he was also demonstrating by pulling a fork back and forth through the batter making different sized swirls with the chocolate batter “See? So after you finish you just have to bake it and it’ll be ready to eat after you let it cool. But an important thing to remember is that you don’t want to keep opening the oven to check on the cake, it messes with the baking process so just make sure you keep the oven closed.”

            Sehun and Luhan nodded again taking a look at Suho’s work before the latter placed the baking pan into the oven to bake.

            “Alright, so nothing goes better with cake than frosting,” smirked Kris.

            “Ice cream goes pretty well with cake too,” joked Luhan playfully.

            Kris twitched but completely ignored Luhan’s comment as he continued “Cake and frosting flavors always work well together.”

            “Luhan’s kind of right about that,” said Suho suddenly.

            Kris dropped his smirk as he looked at Suho with a pout “Who’s side are you on?”

            “…Yours,” smiled Suho sweetly “Although that doesn’t stop others from also being right.”

            Sehun shook his head at Kris mumbling, “You’re not going to win against them.”

             Kris faced Sehun with a resigned look, sighing “I know.”

            Luhan and Suho chuckled at Sehun’s and Kris’ response.

            “Let’s just start this lesson so we can put the frosting on the cake when it finishes,” said Kris as he began taking out the things he needed “I’ll be giving you guys tips on buttercream frosting, which is pretty quick to make.”

            Kris took out a bowl and put in room temperature softened butter “Okay so when making buttercream frosting it’s best to use real butter, not reduced-fat butter or spreads made of vegetable oil, because it will not result in the same smooth and tasty frosting that you’ll want.”

            Kris gestured at the bowl “That can sit in there for a moment while I get the confectioner’s sugar ready, you’ll want to sift the sugar first before using it to avoid any clumps in the frosting when you add it,” as Kris explained he also took out the bag of confectioner’s sugar and sifted it over a bowl, getting rid of any big chunks in the sugar “Since this is done, first step is to cream the butter with the electric mixer until it’s soft and fluffy, once that’s done creaming you’ll need to take the sifted confectioner’s sugar and add it in little by little while mixing it with the electric mixer.”

            “The mixing in little by little is so it won’t make a big mess right?” asked Luhan.

            “Yeah, if you add a lot of it at once you’ll basically get confectioner’s sugar everywhere,” answered Kris, taking the electric mixer that Suho had been using earlier and replacing the attachments for cleaner ones.

            Kris flicked the machine on and set to work on creaming the butter and as it softened, he began adding in the needed amount of confectioner’s sugar. Not turning the machine off Kris took hold of some vanilla extract that he took out earlier and poured it into the frosting mixture “As soon as the butter and confectioner’s sugar are blended together you can add vanilla extract or whatever flavoring you choose into the frosting and mix it once more. The vanilla will give the frosting a stronger taste and after you blend this together you will need to mix in milk.”

            After all the ingredients were mixed together, Kris put the electric mixer down and took out a spoon sc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter