Ch. [02]

After A Minute

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

Kyuhyun smiled proudly as he heard Hyukjae laugh at his joke. He knew he wasn’t a funny man, but from time to time, some good puns went out his lips and they were incredibly good. Good luck for him, that was one of those times.

 

They were drinking cold tea in a café that seemed way too busy for such late at night and Kyuhyun had decided already that the man in front of him could be a good friend, even if he only knew his name.

 

Time passed and Kyuhyun told Hyukjae about good stories he knew of himself and his ex-coworkers, the other would only sip from his tea, frown deeply when he didn’t like what was going on and laughing when the story was done. “Does that seriously happen in an office?” Hyukjae asked, trying to imagine how someone would break his finger with a pencil.

 

“You would be surprised to know more of it,” Kyuhyun grinned, nodding for himself as he also sipped from the nth glass of cold tea of the night.

 

The café was almost empty and that’s how Kyuhyun knew it was almost morning again. He wasn’t that conscious when suddenly his phone went off and Hyukjae jumped scared of it, sighing loudly as he took his hand to his chest to calm down.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and looked at his phone, it was his alarm clock reminding him it was time to wake up. How could it be so late? He stood up panicked as he looked at the time. “- I’ll be late for wo- oh,” he laughed and sat down again, turning his phone off. “Never mind.”

 

Hyukjae laughed softly and nodded, biting his lower lip before looking up at him. “Kyuhyun, you know,” he started, smiling ever so gently at him.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Hyukjae and hummed in response, smiling softly.

 

Hyukjae cleared his throat and pursed his lips in concentration, as if waiting for the perfect words to express what he wanted to say. “What will you do from now on, as in… your job?”

 

Kyuhyun groaned and slammed his head against the table in frustration. “I had forgotten it until now,” he sighed and mumbled. “I guess I’ll start writing my curriculum again and get some interviews… I don’t know… Maybe I’ll rest for a week or two, like vacations or something.”

 

Hyukjae hummed and poked his head gently. “I’ll offer you a job,” he said and Kyuhyun looked up, raising his eyebrow in confusion.

 

“You? A job?” Kyuhyun asked and Hyukjae nodded with a childish smile in his face. “Are you one of those rich kids whose father has a big company and is powerful and all?”

 

Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun weirdly and laughed loudly, making Kyuhyun even more confused.

 

“Hey,” Kyuhyun called, frowning slightly.

 

Hyukjae sighed deeply and calmed down slowly, closing his eyes before opening them again, offering Kyuhyun a big gummy smile. “I actually am, but that’s not the kind of job I wanted to offer you.”

 

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. “You sound so confusing right now…”

 

“I know, wait, I’ll explain,” Hyukjae said, smiling widely.

 

“Alright, I’ll listen,” Kyuhyun said, sitting up straight and looking at Hyukjae intently.

 

“Shh, let me talk and don’t interrupt,” Hyukjae said glaring at him playfully before making sure Kyuhyun wouldn’t talk anymore before continuing. “I need a personal assistant,” he declared and Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, looking at Hyukjae with a face that clearly said ‘you’re crazy’.

 

“Do I even look like a personal assistant?” Kyuhyun asked and Hyukjae pursed his lips, glaring at him again because he was interrupted. “Fine, go on.”

 

“Not only a personal assistant,” Hyukjae said. “I want someone that goes out with me if I want to go out and that take me on car rides or long trips. Someone who will be with me most of the time, eat with me, talk to me, all that…”

 

“So you want… a friend?” Kyuhyun asked even more confused than before. “Trips, talk, eat, isn’t that what friends do all the time?”

 

Hyukjae looked down and cleared his throat awkwardly. “Call it as you want, I want a personal assistant.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly and shook his head unbelievably. “Really?” He asked with a soft chuckle. “And you’ll pay me for that?”

 

Hyukjae sighed deeply and looked up at Kyuhyun. “Yes, I’ll pay you,” he smiled and took a napkin from the table, writing down his phone number. “If you’re interested, give me a call or send me a text, I’ll be waiting.”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and hummed, taking the napkin with him, looking at the numbers written down. “I will, even if it’s just to invite you out again.”

 

Hyukjae laughed softly and stood up. “I have to go now,” he grinned widely. “I know you had a bad day, but don’t worry, days ahead may be better.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled and nodded, looking up at Hyukjae. “I’ll call you, then.”

 

“I’ll be waiting,” Hyukjae said and looked at his watch. “I really have to go and you also need like you need some sleep,” he said with a soft laugh. “We’ll see each other around.”

 

Kyuhyun simply nodded, sighing softly as he looked at Hyukjae leave. He looked down at the napkin again and chuckled softly, taking out his cell phone to save it before he lost it and ended up without thanking Hyukjae for being so nice to him.

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

Kyuhyun didn’t think he would actually think about that certain job offer. But after his first job interview, he realized it could be a good idea, even if it was just for a few months. He would have fun and earn money, just like vacations and it looked really tempting to him.

 

He took out his cell phone and rested on his bed comfortably, looking around his nice apartment before displaying Hyukjae’s number on the screen.

 

It had been almost a week since they met and apart from the sporadic text messages, they didn’t really talk about that certain job offer. “I have nothing to lose anyway,” Kyuhyun said with a smile and pressed the dialing button, bringing his phone up to his ear.

 

“Hello?” Hyukjae’s voice was finally heard after a few seconds, and by the tone of it, he seemed to be sleeping before.

 

“Hyukjae?” Kyuhyun called and chuckled as he heard the other yawn in the other line.

 

“Umm… Kyuhyun?” Hyukjae asked and Kyuhyun simply hummed. “Hey, how are you?”

 

“I’m fine, thank you,” Kyuhyun chuckled. “I called to invite you out and have something to eat, what about it?”

 

“Really?!” His voice was suddenly filled with energy and for a second, Kyuhyun wondered if he really had no friends at all.

 

Kyuhyun smiled. “Yes, of course-”

 

“Should I take the contract with me?” Hyukjae asked, way more excited of what Kyuhyun would expect.

 

“What-,” Kyuhyun was dumbfounded for a second before laughing softly. “You really want me to sign it?”

 

“Yes, I told you I need a personal assistant and I need to prove I have one, so you need to sign for me,” Hyukjae explained and Kyuhyun sighed.

 

“Prove? Is that a requirement?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

Hyukjae hummed in the other line. “Someone will kill me if I can’t prove to them I have someone by my side most of the time… I’ll take the contract and we can go and review it later.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and hummed. “Alright, I’ll send you a text with the address, is that alright for you?”

 

“Perfect for me! I’ll be waiting!” Hyukjae replied happily.

 

They greeted goodbye and Kyuhyun stood up from bed, texting Hyukjae quickly before going to take a shower, chuckling as he shook his head. “Rich people are surely weird,” he mumbled, washing his body without any kind of rush.

 

Dressing up nicely but still casually, Kyuhyun went out humming a song softly, driving towards the café he would wait for Hyukjae in.

 

Unexpectedly, Hyukjae was already there, drinking hot chocolate with a wide smile, not noticing Kyuhyun until the later sat down in front of him. “Ah, you’re here,” Hyukjae grinned widely. “My personal assistant!”

 

“I would rather the term ‘friend’,” Kyuhyun laughed softly and Hyukjae shook his head.

 

“Personal assistant,” Hyukjae nodded and sipped from his cup as he slid a yellow envelop towards Kyuhyun. “Read it and you tell me if there’s something you don’t like… also, your payment is yet to be decided…”

 

“Wow, you’re fast,” Kyuhyun chuckled and took the envelop, taking out simple pages with the contract written on it. “I didn’t even get to order yet.”

 

Hyukjae laughed softly. “I’m sorry, please order,” he grinned and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“As soon as the waitress comes here and takes my order, I will, I’m lazy to go all the way to the counter,” Kyuhyun said as he started reading the short and concise clauses of the contract. “So it says here I’ll spend as much time as you want with you?”

 

“And have your cell phone always on and always reply to me,” Hyukjae added even if it was written there as well.

 

“And drive you wherever you want to,” Kyuhyun chuckled. “Protect you from the bad guys,” he laughed softly. “If any,” he added.

 

“Yes,” Hyukjae nodded with a smile. “The next page includes the terms of your salary per month. You’ll get your first paycheck within this week and we start tomorrow.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and shook his head. “Seriously…”

 

“Just sign,” Hyukjae half whined. “So I can tell you my plans…”

 

“Alright, alright…,” Kyuhyun chuckled without even asking how much he would get paid. It wasn’t important though, at least he wouldn’t get bored and he still had enough money to survive.

 

Hyukjae grinned widely and took his copy of the contract. “You’re practically mine from now on!” he cheered. “Now, as my first order,” Hyukjae smiled as he put the contract into his bag. “Tomorrow we’ll go around Seoul and stuff so come early and bring snacks!”

 

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

 

Hyukjae nodded excitedly. “Yes! We’ll have fun, and we’ll eat and all,” he said grinning widely. “Also, make sure to always wear comfortable clothes around me.”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled. “Alright, give me your address,” he said and handed Hyukjae a napkin and a pen.

 

Hyukjae nodded again and quickly wrote down his address. “Just come in, someone will open the door for you and guide you to my room or wherever I’ll be, don’t bother in asking or anything…,” he nodded as he handed the napkin and pen towards Kyuhyun.

 

“I’ll just think of your house as mine, then,” Kyuhyun chuckled and Hyukjae laughed softly.

 

“That would actually be really good, considering that we’ll probably stay there a lot as well,” Hyukjae smiled and sighed in content.

 

Kyuhyun looked down and raised his eyebrow. “There are two addresses here…”

 

“Ah yes,” Hyukjae laughed softly. “This week I’ll be in my apartment, so get there, I almost forgot,” he smiled apologetically. “Finally I have my personal assistant…”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Hyukjae and shook his head. “Wouldn’t it be better to call me ‘friend’?”

 

Hyukjae chuckled and shook his head. “No, you’re my personal assistant.”

 

Kyuhyun hummed and nodded. “Alright, then…”

 

Hyukjae smiled and stood up. “I have to go and so something before starting my vacation so I’ll see you tomorrow, alright?”

 

Kyuhyun looked up at Hyukjae and nodded slowly, the curve of his lips lifting up in a gentle smile. “See you tomorrow, Hyukjae.”

 

Hyukjae smiled softly and nodded, waving at him before turning around and leaving the café.

 

It wasn’t that Kyuhyun was scared or excited about that certain new job. It was more like he just was doing whatever came to his mind without thinking too much. Hyukjae looked like a nice man, working for him wouldn’t be too bad, or so he thought.

 

From working in marketing, Kyuhyun went to be a baby sitter, bodyguard and personal assistant of one spoiled rich boy. The only information Kyuhyun had about him was his name and address and that he had money. Aside from that, Hyukjae could be a serial killer and Kyuhyun wouldn’t have the life to even tell about it.

 

Whatever it would turn out to be, the only thing Kyuhyun wanted, was to have a good time.

 

After all, he met Hyukjae in the worst day of his life and the latter made him feel better.

 

What could go wrong with that?

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•