Small World

Young Girl Meets Love

“Wait!” I shouted while running after the young lady. She stopped and looked at me.

“Ah. It’s you again, little girl. Do you need something?”

“May I know what your name is, unnie?”

“Hahaha! Of course you do. My name is – “


*KRING KRING

“Huh? What is it, unnie?”

“I said, my name is – “

*KRING KRING

I open my eyes and stop my alarm. It’s been a month since the incident and ever since that day, I started to dream about that unnie.

I really really want to know her name

“Joohyun ah, come down here. You have a guest”

“I’ll be there, umma.”

Guest? Who could that be?

After I brushed my teeth and comb my hair, I immediately went down to the living room.

“Who is it, umma?”

“Hyunnie!” A tall brunette girl crouched to my level and embraced me.

“Yuri unnie” I hugged her back. It was my cousin, Yuri unnie.

“How’s my little cousin, huh?” She pinched my nose.

“I’m fine”

“Your cousin was almost hit by a car, last month”

“What? Really?” She looked back at me and started scanning my whole body.

“I’m fine, unnie. I’m not hurt anymore”

“Are you sure?”

“I am perfectly sure, unnie”

*sigh*

“Next time, be careful, okay?” She said after flicking my forehead.

“Ouch”

Wait…

“Thank you for saving me” She crouched down to my level and lightly flicked my forehead

“Next time, be careful, okay?” She stood up and walked away.

“Hyunnie? Hyunnie?” Yuri unnie started shaking my body.

“Huh? What is it, unnie?”

“You’re spacing out”

“Ah, I just remember something”

“Remember something? What is it?”

“What you did to me. She also did it”

“What I did? She?” Yuri unnie looked at me with a puzzled look.

“She’s talking about the girl who saved her” Mother answered for me. “Come here you two. Sit at the couch.”

“Before she was hit by the car, a young lady, I think she’s the same age as you, came rushing to her and brought her to the other side of the street”

“Oh, I see…but I didn’t see what the common thing that we do is”

“When Joohyun here thank the girl, the latter crouched to her level and lightly flicked her forehead and said the same lines that you had said”

“Really? What a coincidence. Say hyunnie, do you have any trademark or anything that best describes the girl that saved you?”

“Her eyes.”

“Her eyes?” I nodded.

“Her eyes resembles that of a doe”

“Doe eyes?” I nodded again while she just laughed whole heartedly.

“Why unnie? Is something funny?”

“Ah, sorry sorry. It’s just that I have someone whom I know that has doe eyes but I don’t think she’s your savior.”

“You know someone unnie?”

“Yep. My bestfriend. But I really think she’s not your savior. She’s a choding and a prankster like me. By the way, do you know what you savior’s name is?” I shook my head. She petted me. “There, there. I know you’ll meet her again someday. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I didn’t visit here without a reason”

“Oh yeah, why did you drop by, Yuri?” My mother asked.

“I wanted to invite that two of you to our school play. “

“School play, unnie?”

“Yep. It will be my batch’s last major project before graduation”

“Oh yeah, you’re already on your senior year on high school”

“Yes, auntie”

“And you are graduating on time, right?”

“Of course.”

“So when is this play?”

“It will be this Saturday at 10 in the morning at my school’s auditorium. You do know where my school is, right auntie?” Yuri unnie asked while giving my mother a pamphlet.

“Yes, I remember it”

“So, are the two of you coming?”

“Do you want to go, Joohyun?”

“I want to, umma”

“If Joohyun wants to, we will go”

“Really? Thank you, auntie. Thank you, hyunnie. Ah, I need to go now. We still have a rehearsal. Thank you again, auntie.”

“You are welcome, my dear”

Mother and I walk Yuri unnie to the door. Before she went outside, Yuri unnie said something that made me all excited to attend the play.

“Ah, oh yeah, Hyunnie”

“Yes, Yuri unnie?”

“I’ll introduce you to my best friend on Saturday” My eyes widen and I kept silent. “Bye auntie. Bye Hyunnie” Yuri unnie went outside and hopped on her bicycle.

“Joohyun, come on. Go take a bath and we’ll have our bruch”

“Ye-yes, umma”

I immediately ran inside my room and leaned on the door.

I’m going to meet Yuri unnie’s best friend on Saturday. Her best friend who has doe like eyes like my savior. Yuri unnie said that her best friend couldn’t be my savior because her best friend is a choding and a prankster but despite that there’s still a possibility right? And if her best friend is not the one, then why am I feeling like this? My heart is beating fast and I’m currently having this mental debate

“Joohyun ah, are you done?”

“No-not yet, umma”

*sigh*

I’m acting like an adult when I’m just a 3rd grader. Keep calm and compose yourself Seo Joo Hyun

*huff*

Okay. I better take a bath now before mother checks on me again.

--------------

Days pass by easily and Saturday came. Mother and I went to Yuri unnie’s school to watch the play. When we arrived at the auditorium, an usher guide us to our seat. We have a good spot. We’re neither too far nor too near.

“Umma”

“Hmm?”

“What is the name of the play?”

“Hmmm…according to the pamphlet, the title of the play is The Ice Queen”

*ENGGG* (Sound off)

I’m watching the play intently when one of the lead actors caught my attention

“Umma, that male actor looks a lot like Yuri unnie”

“That’s because that actors is really your Yuri unnie”

“Eh?!”

“They are doing a cross-dress play”

“Cross-dress play?”

“Male characters will be played by girls and Female characters will be played by boys”

“Ah”

I watch the play again silently till another person caught my attention again. This time, it was the other male lead character.

“Her eyes” I mumbled under my breath

“Are you saying something, dear?”

“Huh? No. Nothing, umma”

Her eyes…her eyes resemble that of my savior’s but I can’t clearly see her face because of the lightings. Wait…the pamphlet.

“Umma, can I barrow the pamphlet”

“Here” Right after umma gave me the pamphlet, I quickly scanned it.

Characters….Here it is. They don’t have individual pictures of the cast. Guess, I need to wait till the end of the play.

----------------------

 

After the play, Yuri unnie immediately went to see us.

“Auntie, Hyunnie, How’s our play?”

“It was really great, dear”

“Umma’s right, unnie. Also, unnie, I didn’t easily recognize you. I thought that was really a man till umma said that you are doing a cross-dress play”

“Hahaha! Really? Then our play really is a success. Ah, oh yeah. Wait a minute. I’ll just fetch someone at the backstage” Yuri unnie quickly ran towards the backstage.

While Yuri unnie is yet back, I scanned the place.

“Umma, I’m thirsty”

“You’re thirsty?” I nodded. “There are food stalls outside. I’ll just go buy you a drink, okay?” I nodded again. I watch my mother’s retreating back.

“Come on, stop struggling. I want you to meet someone”

I heard my cousin’s voice from afar

“Huh? Who would you introduce me to?”

“My cousin”

“Why would you want me to meet your cousin?”

“Stop asking and just walk”

I could hear footsteps slowly approaching me

“Hyunnie” My cousin called me. I turn around to face her. “Hyunnie, this is my best friend” My eyes widen in surprise.

My savior…My doe eyed savior. She...she’s right in front of me

“Hyunnie?”

My savior smiled and crouched down to my level.

*DUGEUN DUGEUN

She looked at my eyes and lightly flicked my forehead

“Ouch” I rubbed my forehead.

“Yah, Im Yoona! Why did you do that?”

“I – It’s fine, unnie. She…She’s the one that I’m talking about”

“Eh?! Y- You’re the one who saved her?”

“Yes, a month ago. I didn’t know she’s your cousin.” She looked back to me “It’s nice to see you again. I’m glad you were not hurt”

“T – Thank you again”

“You already thanked me before so no need to thank me again. Once is enough. Oh yeah, I haven’t properly introduced myself yet.” She held out her hand and smiled again. “My name is Im Yoona”

“Seo…Seo Joohyun” I also held out my hand and she shook it.

“Joohyun? That is a beautiful name. It suits you”

*DUGEUN DUGEUN

“T – Thank you”

“Hmmm…Seohyun”

“Huh?”

“I think that nickname suits you”

“Really?” She nodded.

“Alright, from now on, I will call you Seohyun. You wouldn’t mind, right?” I shook my head.

“Okay, okay. Quit flirting with my little cousin, Yoong. She’s too young for you”

“Hahaha! I ain’t flirting, Yul. I’m just making friends. We’re friends now, right?” She looked at me again.

“Ye – yes”

“Joohyun, Yuri…Ah! You” Yoona unnie stood up and greeted my mother.

“It’s nice to see you again, madam”

“It is I who is feeling nice to meet you again. I really really am indebted to you. Thank you very much for saving my daughter”

“No need to thank me again, madam”

“Don’t call me madam. Just call me, auntie. Wait, you and Yuri knew each other?”

“Yoona is my best friend, auntie”

“Really? What a small world. Wait, your attire…You’re the other male lead?”

“Yes, madam – I mean auntie. Why?”

“Your performance is very very excellent. I was really convince that you’re playing a good character”

“Now, now, auntie. I wasn’t that good. I’m still lacking”

“Pshh, quit acting, Yoong. I know that you rehearse everyday to perfectly portray you ro – Oof” Yoona unnie elbowed Yuri unnie in the stomach.

“I can see that the two of you really get along with each other.”

“Auntie, Yoong and I are partners in crime though she’s far naughtier than me. Oof” Yoona unnie elbowed Yuri unnie again. Mother and I just laughed at the two of them.

“Why won’t the two of you join us for lunch?”

“Sure, auntie. C’mon, Yoong”

“I…ummm”

“Don’t even try to decline my offer, young lady”

*sigh*

“Okay, I won’t, auntie.”

“Yes! Okay, I’ll just go get our things at the backstage”

“I’ll come with you, Yul”

“No need. Just stay there” Yuri unnie ran off

“I’ll just excuse myself, kids. I’ll go prepare the car.” Umma left me and Yoona unnie.

Wait…What? It’s just me and Yoona unnie?

“Seohyun”

*DUGEUN DUGEUN

I slowly turn my head to Yoona unnie’s direction.

“Yes, Yoona unnie?”

“Why don’t we sit down for a while? We’ve been standing for quite long already”

“Okay”

The two of us sat at the closest chair from the door. Neither of us was talking till she decided to break it by calling me.

“Seohyun” I looked at her. “How old are you?”

“I’m 9 years old”

“9? So you’re a 3rd grader?” I nodded.

“I see. You know, you act and talk like that of my age”

“Am I being rude, unnie?”

“Oh, No no no. It’s fine. Actually, I find it really amazing to meet a person like you who is very mature for her age”

“Is that a compliment, unnie?”

“Of course, it is. Why? Do you find it as a negative comment?” I shook my head.

“Hey, I’m back”

“Let me help you carry that, Yul”

“Okay”

“The car is ready, kids”

“Alright, let’s eat!” Yuri unnie shouted like a kid. Umma and Yuri unnie walked first followed by Yoona unnie while me, I just looked at them.

It’s hard to believe that the person I once wanted to meet again is my cousin’s best friend and is now also my friend.

“Seohyun?” Yoona unnie stopped walking and turn to me.

“Huh?”

“Why aren’t you walking? Something wrong?” I shook my head and she smiled to me. “Come on. They’re waiting for us” She held out her hand to me and I gladly took it.