Chapter 9

My Life in 180 Degrees!

“Where’s Kris?” Shinhye asked as she woke up Woobin since she didn’t see him.

“Oh he had to talk to my father regarding his father and I think he’ll be there for three days of more since he’ll also receive private training.”

“He didn’t even let me know. Don’t you think he’s being a little bit weird since we got here?”

“Huh?”

“I think he’s been avoiding me but not it was different from last time. Last time he just spend less time with me but still treats me the same but these past few days it’ like he’s putting a distance between us.”

“Well I think it has to do with the fact that you already know that he’s not your real brother so he’s just being cautious in my point of view.” Woobin knows the real reason but he wants Kris to say it himself.

“I am not used to him avoiding me like this and it’s sad if he’s avoiding me just because of that. I still want him to treat me like the usual.”

“Did it ever occur to you that he might have feelings for you considering that he knows you’re not related by blood?” Woobin blurted out of the blue.

“I don’t think so. That never really crossed my mind. In fact I don’t even know if he ever liked someone. I remember teasing him to the girls who liked him and I prayed that someday he’ll have a girlfriend to divert his attention away from me.” She chuckles as she those reminisce those memories.

The two were having there breakfast while having this conversation. Woobin was curious about something. He was hesitant to ask but he wanted to know. “What if Kris had feelings for you?” She was about to respond when he cut her. “It might happen you know. Don’t be so defensive I’m just asking what if? Now that you know he’s not related to you by blood don’t you think you’ll see him as a man?”

Shinhye was taken aback by his question. All her life she had Kris beside her and Woobin’s question made her realized that there is a big possibility that his relationship with Kris would change. She concluded that Kris might be uncomfortable knowing that Shinhye already knows the truth that’s why he’s acting so weird.

Though she’s been annoyed of how Kris’ is so overprotective of her, she always thought that the girl who gets Kris is very lucky. She might not how Kris would treat his girlfriend but she knows very well how he treats her. May be the reason why she didn’t even date even though she was away from Kris is that he wanted to have a boyfriend like him. Shinhye unconsciously set her standards on guys based on Kris. She would meet guys and hang out but not continue to date them having the thought that they don’t meet Kris’ standards.

“Even though I thought he was younger than me, he treated me as if I’m younger than him and I really find that cool about him.”

“Technically you’re really younger than him despite being born in the same year.”

“Honestly I want him to treat me like he used to. I am really bothered by the way he’s been avoiding me.”

Woobin knows that she did not really answer his question but the fact that he already introduced this idea to her she will have to think it through. Hopefully she’ll be able to consider seeing Kris as a man. He liked Shinhye very much and he wanted the best for her. Of course he knows he can’t have her. Kris was the best option he had seen so far. Kris also needs Shinhye in his life. He had lost almost everything and knowing that she’s all Kris got, he wanted Kris to be happy.

 

“Our training ends here. You’re really good and a fast learner. You can go home and rest for a while.” He’s trainer was about to leave and he remembered something. “I’m visiting your father’s grave today do you want to go there together?”

Yes it was his father’s death anniversary and Kris went at dawn before he had his training session. It’s been a year since his father died and not many were aware of it except for Woobin’s family and the people he had worked with.

Ever since his father quit his job he changed identity to settle down unfortunately last year someone found them and tried to use them against Shinhye’s father. The father and son were being chased and they tried to split up. A few moments later Kris heard a gunshot. He ran and searched for his father luckily he found him and heard his last words before finally leave his son.

He felt really sorry for his son to have lived this kind of life. He just hopes that he will not hate Shinhye for it is not her fault though all of these were related to her. He begged his son to continue to be at Shinhye’s side as she had been with them when his mother left. Lastly he said how he’s very proud of his son for understanding of all the things they’ve gone through. His last wish was to have a quiet burial. He didn’t want many people to know his gone, also Shinhye. It is for Kris and Shinhye’s sake.

“Dad, it’s been a year. I am really sorry I haven’t visited you that much. Finally I have been Shinhye’s side once again. I even took a bullet for her. Come to think of it I should really hate her because as we try to keep her safe I lost you but as you said it’s not her fault. At first I thought that I was fulfilling your wishes as I try to keep her safe but these past few days while I was away from her I realized that I was doing it because I really wanted to keep her safe regardless of your wishes.”

“When I saw her once again after two years I realized how much I miss her and how much I wanted to be at her side. I started to feel something for her and I know that I shouldn’t because in her eyes I’m still his brother. Now that she knows I do not know how to treat her and my feelings for her grew stronger as I try to avoid her. These three days I have been away from her I really did my best so that I would finish the training fast because I want to see her.”

What’s worst is Woobin has been sending him pictures of their daily trainings just to let him know that there doing fine without Shinhye’s knowledge. All of them were cute selfies of the two of them so close together. Sometimes Woobin would send pictures of Shinhye wearing y training clothes and Kris rages. He would talk to his phone and scolds at Shinhye through her pictures. He tries he’s best to ignore these messages from Woobin and doesn’t respond to any of them. Woobin would at times asking “are you jealous?” referring to how close they are in their selfies or ‘I hope you’re here to see this.” referring to Shinhye’s y training suits.

“I can’t sleep at night because I always think of her. I wanted to call her many times just to know how she’s doing; still I try myself not to. She’s been contacting me as well but I try to hold back. For I know once I would respond to her I would miss her more. Now that she knows the truth I’m afraid that I don’t have the right to do it. I feel frustrated knowing that someday I might not be in her life anymore. These thoughts bother me a lot dad. She’s all I have and I really want to lose her. I know that I shouldn’t feel this way but I can’t help it.”

Tears fell down his face. At these moments he misses his dad more, “What should I do dad? Please help me.”

“I already visited him a while ago. I’m planning to go home early. I think I need to rest.” He responded.

“Yeah you should. Just want you to know that you are a lot like your father. He must be really proud of you!” he patted Kris shoulders before leaving Kris. His trainer was a junior of his father. He really admired Kris’ father and wanted to become like him. He was one of those people who took it hard when his father died. He would visit Kris every day after Kris’ father died. He was very happy to see Kris again and train him. At breaks they would talk about Kris’ father. He would always remind Kris how admirable his father is. Kris didn’t mind and he also wanted to know what his father’s like before having him. He knew more about his father and wished that he saw more of this side of his father.

Kris was excited at the same time nervous on his way home. He wanted to see Shinhye already at the same time he was afraid of his growing feelings for her. Woobin was right sending him away for a while. He did confirm that he had feelings for her and its growing stronger. What’s worse is he can’t help it. He was scared that when he sees her he can’t control it and do something that might push her away from him. He felt very uneasy. He almost jumped up from his seat when his phone rang. It was a text message from Junhee.

“Oppa, I just wanted to know how are doing. I heard from Shinhye unni you we were away for three days. We all miss you a lot! J”

“Junhee, do you have time after class?” Kris responded. Junhee was one of the people Kris trust and he thought that maybe she could help him.

“My last class is until three. After that I’m free.”

“I need your help. I’ll go to your house later if that’s alright. It’s kind of confidential so I hope that only the two of us could talk.”

“That’s fine don’t worry my parent’s won’t be home ‘til eleven.”

“Thanks a lot Junhee!”

 

“Who was that?” Kai asked Junhee who she’s been texting as he approached her.

“Oh, it’s Kris oppa. He needed help for something.”

“I hope they were doing fine.” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he approached the two hearing what Junhee said.

“I hope so.” She paused and suddenly remembered something. “Kai do you still have a spot for your performance next week?”

“Huh?”

“You said yesterday that you have a dance competition next week and suddenly one of your members got injured and might not make it. Did you find a replacement?”

“Oh yeah, we might not enter the competition we cannot find someone to replace him. Most students of our dance class were also participating.”

“Kyungsoo!” she exclaimed in excitement.

“What?” Kyungsoo asked.

“You should see him dance. He’s really good.” Junhee recommended.

“NO, NO, NO! I do not dance.” contradicting Junhee.

“I saw you in the practice room. You were dancing while singing. You were even having second thoughts of dancing while singing for our assignment. I was anticipating when you were presenting your assignment a while ago. I was hoping you’d dance but you did not.”

“You were there?” Kyungsoo asked widening his eyes in shock.

“If he dances why did Sehun not even bother to recommend him?

Kyungsoo was forced to dance as Junhee threatened him. He performed a 90 second simple hip-hop routine.

“You made me become a liar when you denied that you can dance. If you will not show them I will not talk to you anymore.” Junhee exclaimed. She knows she’s being childish but she wanted to help both of them; Kai having to participate in the dace competition and Kyungsoo showcasing his talent.

“Hyung how come I did not know you can dance this good.” Sehun was pretty impressed of Kyungsoo’s dancing skills. All three of them applauded and Kai’s mouth was wide open. He did not thought that this very she guy can perform a dance routine like that. Kyungsoo really changes when he performs even when he’s singing.

“You did not know?” Junhee asked.

“If I did I would have dragged him to join us.”

“I’m really envious at you right now. How come you’re good at singing and dancing?” Kai exclaimed as he admired Kyungsoo’s talents.

Kyungsoo was then forced to participate in the competition with Kai and Sehun.

“Oh my, I forgot, so this is settled already I have to go home.” Junhee was already rushing.

“Hey, where are you going?” Kai asked.

“Tell you later.” Junhee managed to respond before she was out of sight.

“Oppa, I’m sorry, I’m late.” Junhee apologized.

“It’s okay I just also arrived.” Junhee then opened the door for them to eneter. The two sat down at the living room.

“I’ll see if we could something from the kitchen.”

“No its okay I’m not hungry and I’ll be here just for a while.”

“Oh right, wait I did not think this through. Is it safe for you to come here?” Junhee worriedly asked.

“Don’t worry I’ve arranged everything before I came here, just to ensure that it’s safe.” Kris assures her.

“You needed my help with something right?”

“Yeah,” he paused. He was still hesitant but he doesn’t even know what to do. “I…” he canot seem to say it. “You know that…” he forced himself to just say it. “I really don’t know how to say this and how should I start.

“Oppa just say it.” Junhee was becoming more anxious seeing Kris like this.

“I like Shinhye!” he finally blurted out. Junhee was shocked with her eyes wide open. He continued seeing Junhee’s reaction. “I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it. What should I do?”

“Honestly when I knew that you two were not really related by blood. I thought jokingly and wanted to ask you if you did like her knowing she’s not really your biological sister.”

“At first I was confused. Woobin hyung had an idea before I did even realize it myself. He sent me away to help me sort out my feelings for her and I found out that I love her more than a brother loving his sister.” He explained.

“Oppa I’m sorry but honestly I don’t know what to say…” She paused for a moment. “…though there’s nothing wrong with what you feel for her since you’re not technically blood related. I just want to know, do you want her to feel the same about you?”

“I’ll be ambitious if I answered that question but I’m more worried about my growing feelings for her. What if i can’t control it and do something that would push her away from me.”

“Is that what you’re worried about? Do you know what you want to happen between you two?”

“I…” he paused. “I just don’t want her to leave me. She’s all I’ve got.” His head fell down. Tears were about to come out of his eyes but he bit his lips hard and tried to pull the back the tears from falling. “What should I do?”

“I think you should still let her know, but you have to be ready with whatever her response is. Oppa, you’re really an amazing guy and the only reason I think that she might not like you back is because she sees you as her brother. It might take time for her to see you as a man loving her. Knowing you it does not matter if she likes you back as long as you could stay by her side.” Junhee was right. At the moment all he wants is to at Shinhye’s side.  He’d be really thankful if someday she will see him as a man and be with her for the rest of their lives.

“What if I decided to let her know and I lose her.”

“Oppa, I really don’t know. I’m sorry if I can’t be a big help to you at the moment. It’s just that I think it’s better to let her know rather than trying to suppress your feelings for her. As you try to supress it, it will accumulate and you don’t know when these feelings will explode. You might do something rash and would scare her away.”

Shinhye heard the front door opened and went out to see if Woobin came back already. To her surprise, Kris was picking his belonging headed to his room. Kris did not notice Shinhye’s presence as he was busy thinking about what Junhee said. Shinhye felt sad seeing how tired Kris. Knowing that he was away to have private training for her sake she felt very sorry. She rushed to him and hugged him. Kris was a bit shocked and dropped his things.

“It was very tiring. I’m really sorry.” Shinhye felt Kris became thinner with that her heart ached. She thought that Kris was even suffering for her even though he didn’t have to. She hugged him tighter to give him comfort. It took a while for Kris to wrap his arms around her as he was afraid that he might not control his feelings but yet again he missed her so much. He felt how worried Shinhye was. He rested his head on her then his right hand held her head while his left arm still wrapped around her waist pulling her closer to him to put her worries away. He was very happy holding her close.

“Sorry for what?”

“You don’t have to do all of this.”

“I want to.”

Kris was now alarmed at how long he’s been holding her. He then awkwardly released her and Shinhye was bothered with his sudden action. He gave Kris a confused look.

“I just need to put these things back to my room.” He excused himself. His heart was beating so fast. As he closed his door he sighed loud. He put his hands on his face and run them through his hair. He sat down his bed and let his head down. Shinhye headed to her room confused but did not confront him. She  thought maybe Kris was also very tired and wanted to rest for the mean time. Few moments Kris heard Shinhye screamed from her room. He suddenly rushed to see if she’s okay.

“Are you okay?” Kris then runs towards Shinhye after seeing her sitting down the floor as he opened her bedroom door. Her hands were rubbing down his left foot.

“Oh, its fine my feet bumped the leg of the chair.” Shinhye then stared at Kris who was checking her feet. She then remembers her conversation with Woobin about Kris sudden avoidance.

“Kris, are you avoiding me because I already know that we’re not really related by blood?”

Kris froze to her question and couldn’t even look at her. He doesn’t know what to say.

“I know you’re avoiding me and if that’s your reason I think it’s unreasonable.”

“I just don’t think I have to treat you the same since you already know. I was thinking you may not want me to treat you that way since technically I don’t have the right to. ” He responded still not looking back at Shinhye. He just hopes she would buy it so that she could avoid her for a while until he’s ready to confess and hear her response.

“I want things to be the way they were used to be. True I might be annoyed of how you’re being overly protective of me but it was because I did not understand why. I just want you to stop avoiding me because it really bothers me. It’s as if you don’t like being with me anymore.”

With her last sentence Kris heart beat really fast. He clenched his teeth. He was very frustrated he can’t even tell her why he’s been avoiding her. “It’s not like that.”

“Then stop avoiding me and treat me like you used to.” She requested.

“Well it’s not easy.” He insisted.

“Why?”

“Because…” he can’t seem to respond. He’s very frustrated at how he cannot tell her the truth; at how she’s been insist on knowing the truth when he’s not ready of its outcome. He finally lifted his head and looked at Shinhye.

“Because?” She asked again.

He looks at her eyes desperate for answers. How he wished that he had the courage to confess to her right now and be ready with what whatever her response is but he’s not ready. He was really frustrated at himself.  He was really afraid to lose her and the thought of it let a tear drop his eyes.

“Kris?” Shinhye eyes then were filled with worries when she saw Kris tear up but still Kris was staring at her. Seeing how pure her eyes were and how she was worried about him with Kris’ emotions all over the place, something triggered inside Kris.

Kris intuitively closed his eyes and pressed his lips softly against her. Shinhye’s eyes widen as Kris lips was on her. She froze and cannot seem to comprehend what is happening. . His lips pressed harder against hers and she felt how soft they were. Unconsciously she closed her eyes and pressed her lips against him. Kris hands cupped both of her cheeks and continued to kiss her deeper. He cannot seem to control himself as Shinhye responded to him, giving him permission to kiss her. I was sweet and both of them are enjoying the moment until Shinhye heard the front door opened. She quickly opened her eyes and broke free from Kris, pressing firmly against his chest to push him away. He released his hold and both looking to each other in complete shock. Both were unable to move.

Woobin then opened Shinhye’s door seeing if Shinhye was there. Before him were Kris and Shinhye, both frozen and looking into each other very shocked.

“Are you two okay?” Woobin asked.

With that Kris surprisingly stood up and made his way out rushing to his room and closed his door. Woobin was left with Shinhye who was still sitting on the floor and still in shock.

 

Preview:

Maru finally got the courage to beg to his father to let him live a peaceful life. He can’t afford to lose her daughter and would really do anything just to keep her alive even if it’s leaving his father. Kris and Shinhye try their best to avoid each other for one Kris is afraid of her response and second Shinhye was still trying to figure out her feelings for Kris.