Chapter 3

My Life in 180 Degrees!

Shinhye, I am staying with my parents tonight. Kindly inform my instructors that I won’t be attending classes tomorrow.

-Woobin

As soon as they got home, Shinhye received this message from Woobin.

“Who are you texting?” asked Kris.

“Woobin just texted that he will be staying with his parents tonight and will not be attending class tomorrow.”

“That’s a relief.”

“Hey, be nice, he’s a good guy.”

“I know I might not know him yet but there’s something weird about him I cannot figure it out yet. How did you meet him anyways?”

“He transferred about a year ago and he became my partner in one of our projects in one class. “

It was Shinhye’s second year in the university. She entered her first class in the morning. The instructor started his class when suddenly the door of the room opened.

“I’m sorry I’m late. I got lost.”

“It’s okay just don’t let it happen again. Take your seat.”

He occupied the empty seat beside Shinhye and introduced himself.

“Hi, I am Kim Woobin.I just transferred her.”

“My name’s Park Shihye”

 

“Dad, I think we have a situation.” Woobin informed his father.

“I know that’s why I called you as soon as possible.”

“You already know that Jaehyun’s transferred in our university?”

“I was just informed this morning. Don’t worry, they still don’t know about you and Jihoo’s daughter. I just wanted to warn you and be more careful.  As long as Jihoo’s daughter’s identity is still a secret from them then we’re still capable of handling this situation.

“Does Mr. Joo know about this already?”

“Yes. He’s been helping us a lot. The poor man cannot be with his daughter the only family he had left. He just hopes that she’s safe. Woobin I am counting on you.”

“Don’t worry dad. I’ll do my best.” He was about to head to work and see how to handle the current situation when he remembered something. “Dad, I forgot to tell you that her brother came and he’ll be staying with her or good.”

“That’s a relief. At least we have someone who will really look after her. Woobin, I know this is hard for you and I really appreciate the things you have done so far. I am really proud of you son.” He patted Woobin at the back before he let his son get back to work.

Woobin has been idolizing his father ever since he was young. He loved how his father has been helping protect people through his job. Since then he wanted to be like his father. His father did not actually think that his son would really want to follow his footsteps. Given this kind of job entitles a lot of responsibilities and a lot of sacrifices. He wanted Woobin to live as normal as possible because he knows how this legacy of his will affect his son’s life once he decided to enter and inherit the family business. He was really hesitant at first when Woobin asked him to train him to be like his father but as soon as he saw how Woobin was very determined with his decision he started guiding his son regarding the family business. He still wanted Woobin to finish a college degree that was his condition before he started training Woobin.

 

Kris was helping his sister clean the apartment after they had finished their classes. He was wiping the picture frames on top of the cabinets when he noticed something and tried to look at the other pictures. Woobin has a tattoo on his wrists and he is very familiar with that tattoo.

‘Could it be that…?’ Kris thought to himself. Kris was right about something. He knows that Woobin is not just an ordinary student. Seeing that mark made him think that maybe Woobin being friends with his sister is not coincidence and it actually has a purpose.  He has to confirm it first before concluding things.

“Are you done?” Shinhye asked.

“Oh, almost. Shinhye, when you met Woobin does he already had this mark on his wrist?” He takes on photo and showed it to Shinhye.

“Ah, I think so. Why?”

“Oh, his tattoo was cool.”

“Why do want also to have a tattoo like that?”

“Maybe.”

“You already have one on your left arm that’s cool enough for you okay.”

Kris had to confront Woobin as soon as he returns. As soon as he thought of it Woobin opened the door of his apartment and announced his arrival.

“Shinhye, I’m home is there anything to eat?”

“Shinhy’s is sleeping she was exhausted but there’s food in the refrigerator that just needs reheating.” Kris informed.

“Oh, okay.”

“Woobin-shi, who exactly are you?” Kris finally asked?

“What are you talking about?” Woobin felt uneasy about Kris sudden interrogation.

“That mark on your wrist, I know what that exactly means.”

“This is just a tattoo.”

“My dad had the exact mark on his back and he told me all about it.”

“Then I think I do not have to answer your question.”

“I just need to know if you’re in the same side as my dad’s.”

“We are. Wait, does your sister already know about this?”

“No, she has still no idea of the whole thing. Ever since the incident with Shinhye my dad felt uneasy and told me everything.”

“So, that’s why you are so protective of her.”

“I always had the feeling that she was not biologically related to us but still I loved her as a real sister. I have to protect her.”

“I know and we will do anything to help keep her safe. I know you don’t like me but I think we should work together as much as possible.”

 

“Kris, let noona rest okay? I really need to tell you something. Let’s go to my room.”

Kris never left Shinhye’s side after the incident a while ago; he was relieved that she was still alive. He followed his father to his room.

“Kris, What I am about to tell you might change our lives but I need you to trust me okay?” Kris nodded and his father continued what he was saying. “Shinhye noona is in danger and we need to keep her safe. The one who attacked her a while ago wants to hurt her so I need you to help me keep her safe okay?”

“Why do they want to hurt her?” Kris asked innocently.

His father was hesitant to tell the truth. He was hoping Kris would not ask but since he was curious and he knows his son won’t let it go he had to tell him. “Shinhye noona is not really your sister.” Kris was shocked but smehow he kind of knew that she is not his real sister. His father continued. “Shinhye noona’s father is my best friend and they gave us noona because she will be in danger if his father has kept her. You might be mad at me but I really need you help Kris. Shinye nona is like my own daughter and she treated us very well since mom died.” He can see his son’s confusion at all the information he’s been presented but he knows Kris will understand. “Dad worked as a special agent and I have been protecting Shinhye noona’s father before I quit to marry your mother. His father is a really good friend of mine he helped me a lot thoug it was my job to protect him. I had to quit my job to marry your mother ad have a normal life. He was happy for me and still continued to support me, us our family until now. He needed my help when they had Shinhye. His father world is a very cruel world that sometimes they risk their life. He lost his wife and he had no choice but to give her daughter away and keep her safe. The ones who attacked her a while ago are enemies of her father. “He continued to explain everything to Kris. Kris tried to absorb all the information his father is saying.

“Dad, teach me to fight.” Kris blurted out after his father finished saying what he needed to say and his father was surprised by what he said. “Teach me how to fight. Like what you did a while ago when noona was attacked.” His father knew that maybe Kris just blurted it out because he was carried away with his emotions but as soon as days go by Kris nagged his father about teaching him. His father had no choice; he needs all the help he could get to keep Shinhye safe.

When Shinhye left for the city, Kris was unresolved until he’s father assured him that there are people that will look out for Shinhye there. As Kris narrates his story to Woobin, Woobin admits that they were the ones who were looking after her when she came to the city. Kris was happy that he and Woobin have this in common- to protect Shinhye.

 

“I am surprised that you did not hate your father and Shinhye after he told you everything.” Woobin exclaimed.

“At first I felt betrayed but they are my family, even Shinhye. My mother’s death is a big shock to me and Shinhye helped me get through everything. She protected me from the bullies at school and somehow I grew up with her always encouraging me to be a better person.” Kris smirked to himself.

“You liked her don’t you?”

Kris was surprised with his question and paused before he answered.

“She’s my sister.” He was always attached o Shinhye and had to protect her but he always felt that he should be always beside her. He did not actually answered Woobin’s question and Woobin was well aware of that. He did not want to ask further.

 

“Of course.”  Woobin just dismissed the topic. “Then you wouldn’t mind if I would date her?” he asked jokingly.

Kris stared at him seriously do not know how to answer his question and before he could utter a word Woobin spoke.

“I was just joking. She is a very lovely girl but if I date her, I would be risking her life.”

“I thought so.” Kris was also fully aware that it would happen and that’s the main reason he was seriously glaring at Woobin when he asked him that question.

 “Before I forget, be careful with this guy.” Woobin pulled a picture from his back pocket. “This is Ahn Jeahyun. He might not be using his real name but as far as I know he is acquainted to the other side meaning his one of the enemies. I saw him the other day approaching your sister. As far as I know he still does not know anything yet about her.”

“Thanks.” He was a little worried about saying something. “I really don’t know how to address you.”

“If you want you can call me hyung from now on.” Woobin suggested.

“I’ll try.”

Kris laid in bed and suddenly Woobin’s questions; if he liked Shinhye as a woman, if he would be okay for her to date Woobin. He does not really have a definite answer for both but he was sure that when he knew that Shinhye was not his real sister he still loved her. He loved her but somehow in a different way and sometimes he sees Shinhye as a woman.

 

Preview:

Things are going well for Shinhye at the moment. She was offered a job that entitles her to work less so she could spend more time studying.  Woobin insisted that they pay the rent by doing chores in the apartment and can stay as long as they want. With Kris and Woobin now on the same page, they get along well that for Shinhye was a bit odd. She decides to enjoy how things are at the moment. She was happy with all the things turning out to be in her favor but something tells her that something is wrong.