Chapter 1

iridescent

  I looked at the cracked mirror and took a deep breath.

  "This is it Elle, a new start for you! Chin up!" I smiled to myself. I was so excited for today, and I wasn't the only one. The entire orphanage was buzzing. It wasn't that we were all excited to leave the orphanage, but rather, it was a chance to start afresh. No matter where you went here, something would always remind you of your family, and it was hard. But in a new place with a new family, there was hope that things were going to be different. And not just any family. 

  There was a new Korean TV series coming up, called 'Our Family.' A Kpop group would adopt an orphan, and their daily lives were to be filmed. Even after filming ended, the new family would continue to live together. After hearing this, I couldn't sleep for many, many nights. I kept tossing and turning at the prospect of so much fun everyday, compared to the boring life at the orphanage. And a new family! When my family was still around, we used to watch Korean variety shows and dramas all the time, and I really hoped that oppas or unnies would adopt me.

  Well, there was nothing for it now. I squared my shoulders, took a deep breath and walked into the room.

  15 minutes later, I walked out of the room, head spinning with the news they had just told me. I was selected.

  I was going to Korea in 5 days. 

  Filming of the first episode would start once I touched down at the airport.

  No, I wasn't going to know who was going to adopt me beforehand, my reactions would be more authentic that way.

  Me.

  I was going to Korea. Not the girls who talked loud and wore make up, not the boys who played basketball and were popular, but me. 

  The shock wore off. 

  "YES! I'M GOING TO KOREA!" I screamed.