Chapter 4

iridescent

 "Ready?" I nodded. Junho oppa covered my eyes and carefully guided me into our new home.

  He removed his hands. "Tadah!"

  With 6 nervous pairs of eyes on me, I took in my new home for the first time.

  It was beautiful.

  Because filming was going to take place a lot in our home, JYP had decided it would be rather inappropriate and wouldn't reflect well on the boys' image (I assumed they were really bad at cleaning up) to film in their dorm. So, the company had bought over an apartment, just for us. 

  It was so worth it. The walls were plain white, and the floor was mahogany. There was a giantic soft carpet in the middle of the hall, surrounded by a sofa just enough to squeeze in 7 of us, with pillows and throw rugs strung everywhere around the place. The TV was huge, and there were shelves above it, presumably for decorations or such. To the left was an open kitchen, and a rectangular table for us to eat at. The place was classy and yet cosy, and I felt right at home.

  "You like it?" The maknae asked anxiously.

  I turned around and nodded vigorously. "It's beautiful." All of them broke into relieved smiles. "Come on, let's show you the rooms!"

 

  The arrangement went as follows: I would be sharing a room with Khun oppa, Taecyeon and Jun.K oppa would be sharing, and Junho, Wooyoung, and Chansung oppa would be in another room. They had asked if I minded sharing a room with Khun oppa, actually, but I wasn't in a position to complain. How could I ask for a room for myself? I didn't actually mind anyway.  

  After we all had showered and were getting ready for bed, the boys bounded into the room Khun oppa and I were sharing. 

  "Tired?" Wooyoung oppa asked me. I nodded. 

  "Picture? For Twitter!" Jun.K oppa asked. 

  I laughed. Koreans and their selcas.

  Jun.K oppa took that as a yes and pulled me closer. "Smile!" 

  "Me too!" Practically everyone else yelled in Korean. Well, I could understand that much. 

  Everyone took turns to take a selca with me. Taec oppa was the last one. An arm around me, he counted down. "1, 2, 3!" I felt his lips press against the side of my head at the last moment. The camera clicked. 

  The protests were immediate. "YA!" "AH, HYUNG!" Then someone blabbering in Korean. I laughed. I mean, sure, they were more touchy-feely than I expected, but I wasn't a nun or anything. I didn't mind. I pulled Taec oppa's sleeve. "Tell them not to freak out, I don't mind."

  Taec oppa relayed this with a satisfied smirk. Junho oppa rolled his eyes. Khun oppa smiled, then told them to say goodnight and get out of the room.

  All 5 of them gave me a huge hug, and offered a warm smile before leaving. "Goodnight!" They closed the door and left, turning the lights off.

  I froze. Oh no. 

  Since my family's accident, nightmares had plagued me every single night. They were worse when I slept with the light off. But even with the light on, I would wake up in the wee hours of the morning screaming, in a mess of tangled sheets with tears running down my face. And now I was sleeping with Khun oppa... Ugh. I had totally forgotten about how I was going to deal with this problem. Nothing for it, I was going to have to hope for the best.

  Khun oppa'a voice drifted to me, sleepy. "Goodnight, Miyoung. Sweet dreams."

  "Goodnight, oppa." With that, I drifted into an uneasy sleep.

 

  "NO!" I screamed and bolted awake, sitting up. I gasped, trying to catch my breath. They were there in my dreams. They were still in the wreckage of the car, telling me not to be sad, that they had to go now...

  In the dim light cast by the opened curtain, I saw Khun oppa sit up. He scrambled onto my bed. "Hey... what's wrong?" He reached out a hand. 

  I shrank away from him, curling into a ball. The nightmares were bad enough. Now I had woken him up too. He couldn't see me like this, shivering and scared and crying. "I'm fine... just... just a nightmare. Go back to sleep okay oppa?"

  "I know you're not fine. Hey, we're a family now. Please let me take care of you, okay?" Khun oppa slowly reached for me and wrapped his arms around me.

  I stiffened, then began to relax. This wasn't like the orphanage. In the orphanange, I woke up alone, and went back to sleep alone. I missed having someone to comfort me.

  "Come on." He pulled me into his lap and I rested my head on his chest. He held me tight, and pressed his lips to the top of my head. "You're okay. I've got you." I sobbed into his shirt. But this time, it wasn't just tears of misery. It was relief, and thankfulness too. He wrapped his arms around me tighter. "Here, want to hear a song?"

  I sniffed and said yes. 

  "Close my eyes and let the world go by// I feel the raindrops on my mind-"

  I knew this song. But hearing it so close to him, it was different. It was like... well, it was almost like he was singing it to me. 

  "Wrap your wings to protect me// Without you, I can't make it through the rain..." 

  When he finished the song, he placed a hand on my cheek. "I know you just met us today. But I can tell all of us already love you so much, and we're going to take care of you. I promise." I turned my head and kissed his palm. 

  He smiled wider this time. "Now go to bed okay? I'll stay with you."

  I fell straight asleep, in Khun oppa's arms. And this time, the nightmares didn't come back.