Chapter 2

iridescent

  Dear God, please let my new family be nice. Please let them treat me like their real dongsaeng, even off camera. Keep us all safe and healthy and happy. And above all, please let them love me.

  Unclasping my hands and looking out of the airplane window, I literally could not stop smiling. The beautiful night scenery of Korea unfolded below me, pretty lights and all. Somewhere, somewhere down there, my new family was waiting for me. How did you express this feeling? Like happiness was swelling in your heart and if you were even more happy you would burst. Wait, maybe that was just the air-sickness. Ah well.

  I stepped out of the airplane onto solid ground. Thank God. 

  "Elea... nourrr?" I turned towards the sound. Broken English, it must be them. The 2 men who had interviewed me stood a few feet away. I walked towards them. "You remember us? Kim PD and Jong PD. This is Han VJ, your VJ. This is Ms Park, today translator. Also, you new family give you new name, Mi Young.  Nice to meet you properly, we work together well?" Jong PD smiled and extended a hand. Their smiles were so warm, they put my nerves to rest immediately. 

  "Yes, let's make this show a success! I can't wait! Oh, how did you guys get in the arrival area? Is my new family outside? Oh, am I talking too much? I'm sorry, I do that..." And I have a new name, that's so cool, I thought to myself.

  The PDs looked confusedly at Ms Park, waiting for an explanation. They must have learned some basic English just to give me a brief welcome today, we communicated via translator during the interview back then too. 

  Ms Park laughed. "You being talkative is good! It's good for the show." She said some rapid-fire Korean to the PDs and VJ. Ugh, when was I ever going to get the hang of this language? The PDs said some things back.

  "Well, we got special permission to enter the arrival area to welcome you first, your new family is waiting, rather nervously I might add, outside the arrival hall, and don't worry about any language barrier, okay? A few members of the group can speak English." She winked. Well, that was a relief. The PDs said something to her. "The VJ will start filming now, if you don't mind? Don't worry about what to say, the PDs will be asking you questions before you meet them, and after you do they'll carry the conversation for you. You can speak English, we'll sub it."

  "Um... okay!" I put on my biggest smile.

  The VJ counted down with his fingers. 

  Three, two, one.

  "Annyeonghaseyo! N-nae ileum eun Miyoung ibnida, dangsin eul mannaseo bangabseubnida!" I tried to do it like I had practiced in front of the mirror. It sounded so weird. But the PDs gave me an encouraging smile, so that was all right I guess. 

  We walked to the immigration counter. While waiting in line, Kim PD whispered something to Ms Park. She nodded and turned to me. "So, do you have any ideal oppas or unnies in mind?" She asked with an encouraging smile.

  I hesitated. What if I said one group and I got another? But she waved her hand as though to reassure me, so I went on. "2pm, and for unnies, f(x)! I'm a really huge fan." And had been, ever since like 3 years ago.

  "Are you excited?"

  Like, duh. "Of course!" It was the truth though. From here, I could already see people staring and pointing at some other people on the other side of the glass doors, and then staring and pointing at me. At least they were smiling and they seemed excited. I was terrifed I would get antis. 

  The officer handed my passport back to me. My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest. I quickly fixed my hair, put on a smile and walked out of the arrival gates. 

  "Miyoung! Over here!" A deep voice shouted.

  Oh.

  My.

  God.

  2pm. 2pm was standing right there. They were waving at someone, me? ME? Oh my god, 2pm was adopting me? I reminded myself to breathe. You're on camera!

  I walked unsteadily towards them. "Um... hi?" I offered a shy smile.

  "Hi! You know our names? Please say yes, please be a fan, please say yes..." Taecyeon begged. 

  "Yes, I do know your names, and I'm a fan!" I couldn't help laughing. 2pm smiled at the word 'fan'.

  "YESSSSS!" Taecyeon grabbed me for a hug. I hugged him back.

  "Taec, share!" Nichkhun smiled at me. "I'm sorry he's so over excited, we all are actually. He just has a harder job hiding it." He pulled me in for a gentle hug. 

  Chansung, Junho, Wooyoung and Jun.K grinned at me. My Korean but still. 

  "Annyeonghaseyo..." I greeted them awkwardly.

  "AIGOO..." All four of them pulled me in for a group hug. I literally couldn't breathe. They said something to Taecyeon and Nichkhun.

  "They said its wonderful to see you, and you can call us oppa okay? Why don't let's move to the car, people are gathering..." Khun oppa, as I was already starting to think of him, looked around nervously. 

  Girls were staring, screaming, and taking pictures already. Junho oppa grinned at me, and I finally got to see his eye-smile up close. He put a hand on my shoulder, pulled me close, and we walked out of the airport together, the rest of 2pm following just right behind us.