2

Happy to Love

                Daehyun had knocked over the popcorn bowl at least seven times during the duration of the movie and it was he who was clinging to Junhong instead of the other way around. It wasn’t even dark outside and Daehyun still looked spooked every time he turned a corner when he and Junhong had decided to go and get some dinner. It wasn’t anything special. They had decided to go to a McDonald’s since Daehyun had admitted he was short on cash since he wasn’t getting too many hours. Junhong didn’t mind. The fact he was even willing to spend more time with him made his heart skip a beat.

                “I didn’t know you were such a baby.” Junhong joked when Daehyun pushed him ahead to look around a corner. Daehyun was gripping onto the back of the taller male’s jacket and he just looked up at him through impossibly long lashes. When he blinked, Junhong wondered what they’d feel against his cheek.

                “Be quiet Junhong and just check. Who knows if there’s a murderer or a ghost or something like that.” Daehyun said, and Junhong shook his head and peeked around the corner before letting out a shrill shriek, and Daehyun yanked him back and was ready to fight, but Junhong sniggered since no one was there. “That wasn’t funny!” Daehyun yelled at him, and Junhong nodded, trying to hide his smile.

                “Actually, it was. Also, thank you for protecting me from the imaginary serial killer.” Junhong laughed, and while Daehyun’s face was one of slight annoyance, he was blushing, and his expression blossomed into one of laughter as well as he returned to Junhong’s side.

                “I just… didn’t want our first date or whatever this is to be cut short.” Daehyun said, and Junhong looked down at him.

                “Nothing can be as short as you though.” he joked, and Daehyun cocked a brow.

                “Hey, I’m not short. You’re just freakishly tall. Which, I don’t mind. It’ll be cuter when we finally kiss because I’ll have to stand up on my tip-toes.” Daehyun said nonchalantly, and Junhong flushed pink, but he nodded. When Daehyun talked about kissing it made him feel like he was in the clouds for once. No matter how many times people joked about him being able to touch the sky because of his height, he never felt it. With Daehyun though, he felt sky-high, and Daehyun waved his hand in front of his face before he could drift off.

                He laughed though when Junhong snapped back to and he looked down at Daehyun again, and all he could do was smile. Daehyun was definitely handsome, and he didn’t know how someone as… off looking as he could possibly be the apple of his eye. Daehyun didn’t care though as he walked into the fast food joint, pulled out his wallet and looked up at the menu. Junhong wasn’t paying attention to what he wanted to get because he was so fixated on just staring at Daehyun’s eyes. They were pretty, and in the fluorescent lighting they glowed. Junhong gulped and he ripped his eyes away from the older boy before he decided what he wanted to eat.

                Daehyun ordered a hamburger and fries and a water and Junhong felt miserable when he ordered the 20 piece, a large fry and a large Sprite. Daehyun wasn’t one to judge him though as long as he got a chicken nugget as well, and when they got their food and sat down, Junhong passed it too him, but Daehyun leaned over and ate it from his hands. Junhong looked around to see if anyone saw them, and thankfully, they were alone. Daehyun didn’t seemed worried, and Junhong asked the inevitable.

                “Do you not mind if people see us being… well… touchier than friends?” Junhong asked him, and Daehyun popped some fries into his mouth and shrugged.

                “Not really. No one in Korea is going to get used to the idea of homouality if it’s hidden from them. I don’t see why we shouldn’t hold hands and feed each other and be affectionate in public if straight couples can do the same. I mean, like, there’s a club I go to sometimes and dance and I wasn’t ever afraid to grind up on another guy because that’s just how I think. Why should I hide when I’m looking for someone?” Daehyun asked Junhong, but it was rhetorical. Junhong nodded in agreement.

                “I guess I’m still scared because only you, Jongup and that Himchan guy know about me.” Junhong said. “And Youngjae too I guess. I haven’t even told my mom. Though, I think she’d be okay. I think she knows something’s up because I never talk about girls and the only magazines I’ve ever hidden were like, Men’s’ Health.” Junhong laughed out.

                “You like burly dudes?” Daehyun asked, picking up his drink and flexing in the process for show. Junhong hid his mouth behind his hand because he was chewing but laughing at the same time.

                “No! I mean, kind of. They’re nice to look at but I’d be afraid they’d crush me. I’m not too built if you couldn’t tell already but there are a few guys who I look at, and I’m like, yeah. That’s the good stuff.” Junhong said, and Daehyun made a hand motion to tell him to elaborate. “Like, Jay Park. He’s hot in my opinion. There are other guys like Jonghyun from SHINee who I think are good looking and also there are rumors that he’s gay.” Junhong said, and Daehyun nodded.

                “So you not only like buff guys, but pretty idol boys too?” Daehyun asked, and Junhong laughed again at him.

                “Not necessarily! It all comes down to personality, but having good looks doesn’t hurt either, you know?” Junhong asked. Daehyun nodded, but he turned his head down to look into his lap and he put his hands on the nape of his neck.

                “You certainly don’t lack in either department.” Daehyun said quietly, but Junhong picked it up still, and all he could do was eat some fries and fill his mouth with Sprite so he didn’t say anything dumb. Daehyun looked up at him through those eyelashes that Junhong loved and he wanted to rocket off into space and colonize a planet with Daehyun because he was out of this world. “I mean, I think you’re just as pretty as those idol boys and you’re really funny too. I like that. You. I like you.”

                “Ah, I like you too Daehyun.” Junhong said back, and he was looking around the place as long as that meant he didn’t have to make eye contact, because if he did, he was going to get sick because the butterflies in his stomach where out of control. “I hope after this… we can go on another date?”

                Daehyun giggled a little and he too was trying to avoid eye contact because he just was about to leap over the table and kiss Junhong with how darn cute he was being. Daehyun was always weak for cuter boys, and Junhong took the cake. “I definitely think we can. We should. Next time, is there any place you want to go?” Daehyun asked.

                “The mall? I don’t know. Like I told you, I haven’t been on many dates. I have been on any dates.” Junhong laughed, and Daehyun awkwardly laughed back. He took a bite of his burger and Junhong gnawed though six nuggets one after another as they sat in saturated silence, unsure of what to talk about anymore because they were both too excited at the prospect of another date. Junhong thought about holding hands with him at the mall and he almost choked, but Daehyun just glanced up at him to be sure he was fine before looking away again.

                “You look funny when you eat.” Junhong commented, and Daehyun swallowed before he eyed the boy.

                “What do you mean?” he asked, and Junhong put some fries into his mouth and mimicked the way he chewed.

                “Your bunny muscle pulls down when you chew and it’s funny. Like, a good, cute funny.” Junhong said to him, and Daehyun raised a brow, took out his phone and set it on the front camera before chewing some fries and well, and he smiled when he realized Junhong was right. “I told you so.”

                “Now I’m embarrassed and I never want to eat around you again.” Daehyun said, and Junhong rolled his eyes before passing Daehyun another one of his nuggets, and Daehyun ate it from his hand and Junhong forgot how to breathe when his lips barely touched his finger. He wondered about how experienced Daehyun was and how many ex-boyfriends he had or girlfriends too for that matter. He always felt 50 steps behind on everything and Daehyun was much older than him, so surely he had to have done more. Junhong swallowed.

                “So, you still don’t mind that I’m young and haven’t had any experience with anything at all, ever?” Junhong spoke, but it was small, and Daehyun had to lean in to hear him, but he nodded and reached across the table and touched Junhong’s arm lightly.

                “It’s really, truly okay. I wouldn’t have agreed to a second date had I felt otherwise. But, it might be awhile until then. I have a lot of work and I’m sure you have school. So, weekends are the best for dates and if I have time off… would you… consider letting me visit you sometimes? Either at school or at your house or just somewhere?” Daehyun asked. Junhong nodded vigorously.

                “Y-yeah! We can text too… right? I can call you and you can call me if you don’t mind that either. Only we can…” Junhong seemed to be at a loss for words. He didn’t know if he sounded too clingy or if he was being too assertive. “Tell me if I’m going too far.” he said.

                “N-not at all! You’re thinking what I’m thinking and I really would like to talk to you more. You can tell me about your day at school and I can tell you how it went at work since Youngjae never does listen…” Daehyun said, grumbling out the part about Youngjae. “Oh, but if I visit your house, won’t you have to tell your mom about, well, about you?” he asked, and Junhong hadn’t thought about that, but he nodded slowly.

                “I… I guess I will, won’t I? I can’t pass you off as a school friend because you don’t have a uniform and she’ll be really mad if I just bring in some random 20 year old.” Junhong laughed out, but he was starting to feel unsure about how his mom would react. It showed on his face, because Daehyun let out a sigh.

                “If you don’t want to tell her yet, we can meet just at school, unless you don’t want your friends knowing either. We can always find other places. I know how scary it is to come out of the closet, and when I told Youngjae, I’ll flat out tell you, I cried.” Daehyun said, running his hand through his hair. “He didn’t care, but other people, like my dad… you would have thought I told him I was a terrorist.”

                “Isn’t being gay and being a terrorist basically the same thing here?” Junhong joked bitterly, and Daehyun huffed out a little and laughed some too.

                “I guess you’re right. To the older generation at least. It’ll change Junhong, trust me. I’ve seen it get better for us, and it’s been slow, but it’s been happening.” Daehyun said, and Junhong nodded, but that’s all he could do for now. He had only recently even come out to himself, and that was scary for him as well. He remembered the first time he looked at a boy and felt something boil inside him. He remembered seeing other girls at school and not quite liking their flouncing curl, but the short haired ones were always nice. Even then, their s never sat right on their chest. But the boys. Oh, the boys.

                He hated how his friends would gather around a Playboy and he would eye the Men’s Health or some other magazine with the latest rookie group on it, and he always liked how pretty they were. They were much better looking than the girls with the weird folds between their legs, and Junhong noticed that a male’s parts were much more nice and organized, and he felt like hanging himself the first time he jacked off with the image of another boy’s rammed up his , because he knew he had caught the disease called homouality that he had read about online. He dared not asked his mom, and it wasn’t until Jongup came out to him did he even begin feeling remotely comfortable in his own skin. There were still nights when the on his hands would sear because he knew he had just sinned in at least 90 different religions.

                “I don’t want to wait any longer.” Junhong said, and he ate the last of his food before he just leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling. He wished the two legs on the floor would slip and he’d careen back and his skull would smack onto the tile and he’d just die immediately. He didn’t want to talk about this with his first boyfriend.

                “I don’t either Junhong. Trust me. There’s a reason I’m not going to college.” Daehyun snorted, and Junhong looked at him curiously. “To put it bluntly, I stole one too many glances in the locker room before questions were asked and accusations flew and I accidently… I got hard when they graphically described gay and I got the beat out of me.” Daehyun laughed out. It was arid and not funny at all, but he wanted to make light of the memory. Something made Junhong think he just wanted to forget about it completely.     

                “I-I’m so sorry.” Junhong said to him, and Daehyun crumpled up the wrapper that his burger was in and threw it on his tray.

                “It’s over and done with. It’s nothing I should dwell on.”

                “Well, did the school do anything? The coaches? Jongup said you played soccer.” Junhong asked.

                “I was kicked off the team. Teachers didn’t care. My grades dropped actually. No one wants a gay kid in their class.” Daehyun explained, and Junhong felt the air get thick and it was hard to breathe. What would it be like for him if his classmates found out he was gay? Junhong didn’t want to know.

                “Please don’t come to my school then. I- .” Junhong breathed out, getting up from his chair abruptly and Daehyun shot up from his too, looking at the younger boy and then it hit him how his words probably affected the kid.

                “It’s been years since that Junhong! Like I said, things have changed.” Daehyun told him softly. That didn’t stop Junhong’s body from shaking a little and when he looked up, his eyes were glistening and Daehyun led him quickly outside after dropping off their trays and throwing away their trash. He and Junhong sat on the curb by the side of the building and Daehyun slung his arm around Junhong’s shoulders and pulled him in close.

                “I still don’t know how I feel about myself!” Junhong cried. “I feel gross and like I need to be punished every time I think about touching another boy and my relatives keep asking when I’m going to get a girlfriend and- and I don’t know what to tell them!”

                “The truth.” Daehyun said in his ear, and Junhong’s body shivered. He looked to Daehyun, and the older boy kissed him on the forehead and let his lips linger. Junhong’s body heated up and his face flushed and he felt like he might get sick, and the only thing that was stopping him was Daehyun’s presence.         

                “What if they hate me?” he asked, his voice still trembling. Daehyun lifted his hand, cupped Junhong’s face, and smiled.

                “My door is always open for a friend in need. A boyfriend if we keep this up and you don’t let bad words scare you off. We can work, and we can help you come out to your family and friends if you want. I’ve been there and I’ve made mistakes. It’s scary and I didn’t have anyone by my side, but you have me now. You can make it though. We can make it though.” Daehyun said, and his voice was that of an angel to Junhong, and he needed to hear those words even if he didn’t know.

                “Thank you, Daehyun.” Junhong choked out, and Daehyun smiled and pressed his lips to the boy’s forehead again. Junhong hummed in happiness and when he pulled away, he looked up at Daehyun’s eyes and he wondered if they could make it through.

                “It’s getting late. We should get you home and I need to head back too. I have work tomorrow and Youngjae will be pissed off if I walk in late again as well. He needs to sleep for school. You do too, right?” Daehyun asked, and Junhong nodded, but he wish he didn’t have to.

                “I wish we didn’t eat dinner because I’m sure my mom cooked something and she always loves feeding people.” Junhong said, and Daehyun smiled, getting to his feet and helping Junhong up as well.

                “But what would you introduce me as?” Daehyun asked, and Junhong brushed off his jeans and tapped his chin.

                “A friend of a friend? It’s technically not a lie.” he smiled, and Daehyun ruffled his hair, even though he for some reason felt self-conscious because he had to reach up farther then he would have liked. Junhong was a tall boy, which was somewhat okay because it made him look younger. Junhong still had the baby face though while Daehyun was working on handsome grandpa with all the wrinkles and lines that showed up when he smiled or sang. Junhong probably wouldn’t see the latter of the lines though for a while. He wanted to keep that hidden.

                “Well, I can walk you home, but that’s about all. If you don’t mind, that is. I feel like it’s the least I can do after a wonderful day with you.” Daehyun said, and Junhong blushed a little and felt himself getting nervous again.

                “You think it was a wonderful day?” he asked. Daehyun nodded and he laced his fingers between Junhong’s and began walking down streetlamp lit sidewalks and he took the lead while Junhong seemed to giggle to himself. He was thrilled that Daehyun had a good time with him, and he wanted to ask more and more questions about how he felt about him, but he didn’t want to be annoying. Daehyun would glace over his shoulder at the younger boy from time to time and his face would light up with adoration.

                “To answer your question,” Daehyun started, and Junhong jumped a little because it startled him. Daehyun smiled. “Yes, today was wonderful to me. And, I hope it was wonderful to you too.” Daehyun said, and he looked back to Junhong for an answer.

                “I-I-it was! I really liked spending time with you and I’m already looking forwards to our next date because I think you’re really cool Daehyun.” Junhong shouted, and Daehyun motioned for him to lower his voice, and Junhong meekly grinned. “Sorry”

                “It’s fine.” Daehyun replied. “I am too truthfully. I’m probably going to chew Youngjae’s ear off talking about you and I’m sure Jongup’s going to pull teeth to ask you how the date went.” Daehyun laughed. Junhong nodded along and he didn’t think he’d talk too much so he didn’t hurt Jongup’s feelings.

                “So why did you use Jongup to get to me instead of just coming to me?” Junhong asked now that his mind was on the subject. Daehyun’s palm got really cold for a brief second before he let go of Junhong’s hand and shoved it in his pocket.

                “There were a lot of reasons I guess. I come across as really cocky but I get nervous around boys too. Especially cute boys, and I didn’t know if you were gay or just a friend of his. I didn’t even know your name and I couldn’t just find you and meet up with you because you and I had no connection other than I had seen you with Jongup, and I thought you were really handsome. That’s all.” Daehyun explained, and Junhong put his hand on Daehyun’s shoulder and pulled on it so Daehyun spun around and was looking at him.

                “And that’s okay. You don’t have to feel ashamed or anything, I just don’t think Jongup will hear about you and me too much since I don’t want to hurt his feelings. He really thought the world of you.”

                “Apparently not enough to go back to Himchan after I broke up with him.” he snarled, and Junhong made a soft expression before shrugging.

                “Well, you did kind of drop him and immediately come to me as well. Besides, you should know Jongup is like a puppy. He can’t be left alone for more than a day before he needs someone’s attention.” Junhong said, and Daehyun couldn’t help but to smile.

                “Are you like that?” Daehyun asked, and Junhong smirked.

                “I can if you want me to be.” he replied, and Daehyun seemed to smile brightly before he took his hand out of his pocket and held hands with Junhong again.

                “We’ll see how this plays out and I’ll decide by then. I’m not exactly independent but if you don’t call within three days I’ll get lonely.” Daehyun giggled out. Junhong nodded to him and he wanted to kiss Daehyun. He wanted to throw him against a streetlamp and kiss him hard and passionately like he had seen in movies and manga and he wanted to feel his lips against his own and he must have been obvious because Daehyun his lips and smiled.

                “Stop staring at them. It’s rude.” he laughed.

                “Sorry.” Junhong said. He felt a little stupid because he wanted to keep looking and it was hard not too, and his eyes kept darting to just see them and how they shined in the light and they were so pink and plump. “When do you think we can kiss?”

                “Any time you want to.” Daehyun said back. It was a bit of a delayed response, and then Daehyun looked over at him and tilted his head. “Actually, I’d like to wait with you. I want it to be special. I want your first kiss to be something of worth because I know mine was really boring and lame, and, with a girl.” Daehyun said, his face scrunching up. “First kisses are often wasted and I want yours to not be. I hope it won’t be wasted with me at least. It might be later in life when you think back on it but, whatever.”

                “I don’t think it’ll be waste if it’s with you at all. I bet you’re a good kisser too.” Junhong responded. “I’ve always like big lips on guys. Well… not big, but full. You have nice full lips and-“

                “You only like full lips because you’ve probably seen in when they it looks really hot.”

                Junhong’s face turned cherry red, and Daehyun looked like he was about to lose it. “I-I-I – well it is really hot bu-but that’s not what I’m thinking! I swear!” Junhong said in a hurry. Daehyun was now laughing so hard he was crying, but Junhong looked like he could have heated up a small down with how intensely he was blushing. “I swear! God! Daehyun!” he whined.

                “I’m joking Junhong!” he said, and Junhong didn’t know if he was really or if he was saying that to calm him down. “All I know is that I have a thing for thin lips because if the things I’ve watched, so I was just… trying to make myself feel a little less erted.” Daehyun told him. The air in Junhong’s throat got caught and he couldn’t believe the words that left his mouth.

                “Do you want my lips around your ?”

                It was like he asked about the weather, and Daehyun had composed himself and he answered like it was just another day. “I’d be a liar if I said I hadn’t thought about it.”

                Junhong hummed and nodded, and it was dark outside, and they were almost to his house. Daehyun seemed to notice this and he walked slower. He probably knew the way there because he had dropped off Jongup on more than one occasion, but it was still amazing that he could remember it via side streets and he was always making verbal remarks about where a tree was to himself even if it was just a small ‘ah’.

                “Do you want me to leave you to walk while I stand around the corner so no one sees us?” Daehyun asked as they approached, and Junhong had to stop and think.

                “Don’t take this offensively, but I think yeah. That’s a good idea.” Junhong told him, and Daehyun nodded as they slowed even more, feeling one another’s hand with their own, and they stole a lot of glances and smiled a lot as well.

                “You have my number, so when you get inside, text me and just…”

                “Call me when you get home safely.” Junhong said, cutting him off, and Daehyun smirked.

                “What are you? My mother?” he asked. Junhong grinned.

                “Hopefully your boyfriend with a couple of other dates, but I want to be sure no one hurts that pretty face of yours.” Junhong said back, winking. Daehyun rolled his eyes, but he nodded.

                They reached the corner, and Daehyun put his hands into his pockets and he faced Junhong and was looking at the ground.

                “If I look you in the eyes I’ll kiss you.” Daehyun said, and Junhong giggled.

                “Kiss me then, but on the cheek or something.” he told him, and Daehyun shook his head.

                “I’m telling you, I’ll want more.” he said. Junhong kicked at the ground.

                “Please?” he asked, and he pouted. He pouted and Daehyun couldn’t resist as he put his hands on Junhong’s shoulders and he kissed him on the cheek, and he kissed up his face, and to his forehead and Junhong was giggling a lot now, but Daehyun wouldn’t stop kissing him everywhere but his lips, because he needed to kiss the kid before he went crazy. He was too cute for words and when he was done, Junhong’s eyes were crescent moons and his dimples were so prominent. He was sure he was going to go crazy regardless thinking about the kid when they were apart.

                “Have a good week, Junhong.” Daehyun told him, putting his hands back into his pocket again and looking up towards the sky. “You and I can talk about our next date over the week when we have time or in between. Do you have anything after school?” Daehyun asked.

                “Nope. But don’t you work late?” Junhong asked back, and Daehyun shrugged but he wasn’t going to let that faze him.

                “I have breaks and if you stay up late then I can talk. I also have small breaks between shifts but you’re going to be in school. I can text you.” Daehyun said. Junhong nodded.

                “Good idea.”

                And that was that. Daehyun seemed sad as he turned around and waved, but Junhong grabbed his arm and pulled him in for a hug, and while Daehyun nearly tripped and made them both topple over, Junhong caught him, and he held him for about a minute before he spoke again.

                “Sorry. I’ve never had a boyfriend or anything potentially like that so… so I’m going to let you go on the count of three, and I’m going to go home and you’ll call me when you’re home to, right?” Junhong asked. Daehyun nodded. “So-“ he sighed. “One, two, three!” he said, and his arms flew up and Junhong turned around and ran to his house, and Daehyun watched on with adoration and admiration. He had forgotten how sweet and tender and innocent young love could be, and Junhong reminded him that being in a relationship wasn’t all heartbreak and . It all starts with a kiss, and Daehyun touched his lips as he turned around and walked towards his house again.

                He actually wanted to get home for once so he could call someone. Junhong’s eager look in his eyes made his heart flutter, and he felt like this was him falling in love all over again as well. He had some heartbreaks in the past, but he wanted to start anew with the boy. He was a clean slate for both him and in general. He also wanted to be sure he treated Junhong in a way that made him want to have other boyfriends if they broke up. He wanted him to feel like love was good, and that it was warm and caring. He wanted to kiss him more than he had wanted to kiss anyone in his entire life. For once, doing anything else wasn’t on his mind.

                “I must be a ing sap and a hopeless romantic.” Daehyun said aloud to himself as he walked, thinking about all the prime areas for a first kiss. On their next date, he was going to do it. He was going to kiss Junhong. Maybe. Only if Junhong wanted it.

                Daehyun smacked his forehead because thinking about it was making him blush, and then he definitely knew he was a ing sap and a hopeless romantic.     

                (He’d bring roses as well and ride in on a white stallion, or at least, that’s what Daehyun imagined.)