Inquiry

In the city

Chapter 4 : Inquiry

 

 

Sandara and Bom, the Park Sisters as they named themselves, had known each other since elementary school. They went to different highschools but kept contact. They had shared plenty of things, the detentions given by their teachers because they were too talkative, their victories at the school festival (contest of the the one who eat the most for Bom and the best funny face contest for Dara), their first love stories... they even tried to create a music band or else to open a shop. They cherished those good memories. They supported each other in bad times like when Bom helped Dara to resign from her tyrannic boss or when a homeless Bom had to live at Dara's because she couldn't find a job. That was the reason they called themselves sisters.

 

After Hayi went to bed, they started their long time no see discussion :

« How have you been ? You didn't send much news lately. » noticed Dara.

« And you, always in your work ! No, you're right I had some problems... »

« What kind of promblems ? » Dara furrowed her brows, Bom should have called her.

« I'm ashamed, I've been swindled. »

« How ? »

« A man that pretend to be a producer, he even made me record a song, but the next day when I went there, the place was empty. I had pay him a day of recording session. », she confessed to her best friend.

« Oh my poor Bommie... », she was touched by her friend's misadventure, « I know ! I can search some informations about this guy, but I don't know if I'm allowed to... maybe Seunghyun, yes ! I can have an appointement with him for you ! » Her eyes were sparkling at her good idea.

« Who is he ? »

« He is my colleague, he's a clerk for a lawyer at the court. »

« Ok, ask him then, maybe it can help some other people or protect them from this crook. »

They take each other in their arms, happy to be reunited. Bom was relieved that Dara wanted to help her and punish this shark. They wish to keep this mutual assistance as long as they can.

 

 

 

 

Sandara Park was a court clerk, she was in charge to write all what was said during the judgements. She was very diligent in her job, and was proud to be in one of the biggest court of Korea, even it was not as prestigious as being a magistrate. For her, along the way she have come, it was a great success. Like Hayi, she was from the countryside, but from a province in the south of Korea. When she was young her favourite game was doing huts with her little brother. When she set up in Seoul she took the habit to go out of town do some running each week. Bom arrived in the city before her and she was much of a city girl, she pretty adapted herself.

 

She was walking in the corridors of the court during her lunch pause. She was searching for Choi Seunghyun, one of her colleague she met one year ago. Seunghyun was a funny guy she met at court and they liked to relax together from the stress of the many cases they had to work on. He was goodlooking but not her taste, she liked cute ones. Anyway, they became good friends. It helped when you over flooded by your work. In a way, this guy remind her of Bom, both had this childish attitude while they could be very responsible. The man had a direct access to the cases of the famous lawyer he worked for and she wished he would find informations about the crook.

Finally, she saw him behind one of those numerous doors. He was drinking his coffee. He raised his head when she entered :

« Hello Dara »

« Hello Top » Yes, it was his nickname that he kept from highschool, not that he was the top at sport, but the top at pissing teachers. He liked to be nicknamed because he found his name too common.

« What are you doing here ? », he asked.

« I've a favor to ask you... »

« Hmm, I'll help you if you treat me for luch then. »

« Ok no problem, but this time it's not for me it's for a friend. She has been swindled and I want to search some informations on him to make sure that he'll never steal someone ever again. »

« I recognize yous sense of justice even if at your level you can't do something about about that. You should have enlisted yourself as a cop ! », he said making fun of her.

« Ah you're so fun... no cop is too much adrenaline. Maybe I had preferred to be an investigator... No, so can you help me ? »

He sigh : « Have you got something to feed my searching, a clue Mr. The Investigator ? », he asked cheekily.

« Aish... Yes I've got the best of the clue, I've got his real name ! », she said proudly. She had asked Bom all the details last night.

« And what is this crook name ? »

« Kwon Jiyong. » Silence filled the room. Seunghyunn was thoughtful. Then he said with a smile : « Ok I'll tell you what I'll find. »

« Oh if you want to engage some procedure or to confirm his identity, I can give you my friend's number. This way, you two can meet around a coffee or something to discuss about it. »

« Ok I'll call her, but don't forget you have to treat me, and I like prestigious restaurants ! »

 

 

 

 

Hayi was feeling worst that the time she had been soaked by Hanbin. Yes, Hanbin had remplaced "the jerk". She had the impression that she had writing "culprit" on her forehead. Guilt weighted heavily on her. She absolutely wanted to talk to him after had ignored him. She didn't see him since he had been fired, as he was avoiding her.

She was at school, looking through the window of the classroom, when she saw him in the yard laughing with his friend Kim Jiwon. She heard that they called themselves Bobby and B.I because they like to rap. Suddenly she remembered of Song Yoonhyeong, his friend that talked to her after the bottle accident. It will surely gived her a chance to apologize to him if this Yoonhyeong was making the intermediary. She decided to find this guy.

 

She found him sitting in the neighbour class doing his homework. He smiled when he saw her.

« Hello, I'm working here alone because I didn't do my homework. », he said.

« Oh, I didn't want to bother you, I can come later... »

« No it's ok, I've already finished. » He looked at her inquisitively. « You want to ask me about Hanbin, no ? »

« How do you know ? »

« It just that he isn't teasing you anymore. » She looked uneasy.

« I just want to apologize to him about something... » she answers looking down.

« Ok, no worry, I'll arrange you something. », he winked. This boy was really kind with her.

« I own you, thank you. »

« No it's me, I'm tired to see him this impossible. I understand now why he was so annoyed, it's because of you. »

At his word, Hayi felt relief growing inside her, but also curiosity about the boy's feelings towards her.

 

 

 

 

It was the end of her day when she checked her mails for the last time before going. Her eyes automatically landed on her mate's mail. Seunghyun was fast. She opended it, it was just a picture. A picture of the crook who was reminding her of someone...

Dara had been in a highschool in the suburbs of Seoul which was not well reputed. There were many students flirting with illegality, the worst of them had even become merciless gangsters that she recognized at some judgements. She had made friend with one of the nicest of them, he was just doing some stealing. She remembered his name was Youngbae. Yes, and this Youngbae was always complaining about his friend : Jiyong. So, it was because of that she had felt she knew him.

She searched his full name on the internet : Dong Youngbae. She discovered that he did two years in jail for stealing, but that he transformed himself as a dance teacher. She remembered he had a dance crew when he was young, and that she watched him perform in the streets. He was a good guy and she felt proud of his success. Dara though about someone who could give her his number, someone who trained herself as a dance teacher : Minji. It has been a long time since she saw the girl. Taking her phone, she immediately called her.

« Minji ? »

« Dara ! I though you'd have forget me ! », joked the girl at the end of the line.

« I'm so sorry Minji-ah, I swear I'll invite you next time. For the moment, I need your help to find an old friend who is now a dance teacher, and well, since you want to be one... »

« No problem unnie, what's his name ? »

« Dong Youngbae »

« No ! But this is my teacher ! What a coincidence ! You know that I go to his club almost everyday ! » It sounds that Dara had neglected Minji like she had with Bom, she didn't even know at which danceclub she goes.

« I'm sorry Minji-ah... »

« Don't worry unnie, it's better for you to have call me, otherwise she'll search all the night for nothing. »

« Thank you, you're so kind to your unnie. »

« Sometimes it's the smallest that take care of the biggest. », she laughed, « don't bother unnie, I still love you. »

« I love you too, I'll treat you next time I swear on my sister haha »

« If Bom-unnie could hear you, you'll be dead haha ! I'll send you Dong-nim's number by text. »

« Ok, see you soon ! »

« Bye ! »

 

Now she had the number, she can meet the man. It has been many years since she saw him, maybe since highschool. Curiosity would prevent her to sleep tonight, but her inquiry was starting well. Not so well thinking about it, she had two person to treat to lunch.

 

 

*****

Sorry, short chapter. I hope you like it.

Next time some meetings...

Love,

wanderingmood