chapter two

Forbidden Love
Chapter Two
Scent

 
Gosh. Where are these kids? What’s taking them so long?
 
I paced back and forth at a café’s grand patio. Many other noblemen and noblewomen were gossiping about the news around Lunia, but I didn’t seem to care much. I had promised a meeting with my best friends. Well, it’s more of a hangout, though. I restlessly paced to and fro in impatience; it has been half an hour past the specified time.
 
I went to approach my black dragon, Inferno, by the corner of the patio. He was resting well on a mini-stable the café provided, his body curved to form a letter ‘C’ with his head on top of his talons. I lowered unto his level and started to his neck, which I usually do to calm myself down. “Gosh, Inferno, where could those 5 pups be?”
 
As I was going to give up on waiting, a waiter approached me. “Prince Yi--”
 
“Call me Kris,” I sent him a death glare and growled lowly at him. I hate it, being called the so-called ‘Crown Prince YiFan of Lunia’. Why wouldn’t people just call me Kris or some other name? It just reminds me of my dad. Urgh.
 
The waiter shuddered at my growl. “I-I-I mean, K-Kris, sir, y-your guests have a-a-arrived.”
 
I let out a sigh as I ascended from my crouching position. “It’s about time,” I muttered. As if Inferno wanted to scold me for my impatience, he let out a snort and smoke puffed out of his nostrils. I chuckled at him before turning to the still-shivering waiter. “Send them in,” I told him.
 
He bowed to me before walking off to the door. The five members of my mini-pack, EXO-M, emerged from the door. (Why EXO-M? Because that stupid panda-pup Tao thought that the name would be cool and unique. And besides, we didn’t come up with any other ideas besides that one.) The first thing that shook me out of my thoughts was a pair of arms tackling me as the voice pleaded to me (or should I consider blabbered at me) all in one breath.
 
“GEGE!!! We’resosorrywe’relate,Alphage! Yixinggeforgothisbagandsortspleaseforgiveus….”
 
“H-Huang Zi T-T-Tao, g-get off!”
 
I struggled to get my body out of the youngest’s extremely tight bear-hug and glared at him. As he mentioned, yes, I was Alpha and leader of the pack. “ZiTao… slow-ly. What happened?” I emphasized on the word ‘slowly’ at the eye-bagged boy. Before he was about to explain, Jongdae cut him.
 
“YiXing hyung forgot his bag when we were going to catch up with you, and a few stuffs as well,” Kim Jongdae or whom we call Chen explained, throwing an annoyed glare at the older. “What? You can’t blame me for forgetting stuff! It’s a habit!” Zhang YiXing a.k.a. Lay complained and pouted while crossing him arms like a little pup. Chen stuck his tongue out at him.
 
Before the two of them can fight, Kim Minseok or Xiumin calmed them down. “Guys, guys, it doesn’t matter now, okay? What matters is we’re here now,” he separated the two of them. Xiumin, as the oldest, held authority as well, as Beta of the pack and a soon-to-be Bloodmoon Alpha.
 
“He’s right! Come on, let’s cheer up! Get some fresh air!” the second-oldest-yet-baby-faced Delta, Luhan also tried to lighten up the mood. Eventually, they bought for it. We all took our own cups of coffee and walked towards the balcony. We rested out bodies on our arms on the railings as we sipped on the coffee.
 
It was a beautiful day in Neo Lunia. The sun was shining and the sky was clear. We were leaning against the balcony with the cold breeze blowing against us. The pack and I barely had a chance to hang out like this due to our schedules. Xiumin and Tao had to train as soon-to-be Bloodmoon wolves while the other three had to study politics as soon-to-be royal advisers and council members of the Royal Family. Meanwhile, I was stuck in between my father’s lectures and combat trainings.
 
We were just admiring the view when I heard of a howling sound just below the balcony. This had caught my attention as I averted my gaze down below. A man dressed in black and a female citizen were seen running away from a pack of Bloodmoons. Soon, the other guys had seemed to notice my gaze.
 
“Alpha, what’s wrong?” Lay –who was standing beside me- asked in concern. I furrowed my eyebrows and pointed to the man dressed in black who was now fighting off some Bloodmoons. “Who’s that?” I asked and pinpointed the man.
 
All 5 heads turned towards the direction of my finger. Xiumin was the first to sigh as he turned his attention back to his coffee. “The Dark Whirlwind: Lunia’s top wanted vampire outlaw. Believe me, YiFan: he is incredibly undefeatable, even to the strongest Bloodmoon.”
 
I watched as the man called the Dark Whirlwind fearlessly fight off the Bloodmoons, leaving blood and flesh scattering on the brick road. He was looking for an escape, taking the staircase by his right. Much to my fear, I knew where the staircase would lead to.
 
I self-consciously got off from the balcony and placed my cup on a random waiter cart. The others watched as I walked towards Inferno. “Kris, where are you going?” Xiumin asked me.
 
“Helping the Dark Whirlwind,” I replied nonchalantly as I mounted on Inferno. “Luhan! Grab your griffin and let’s go!” I called for the Delta, who widened his eyes in surprise. “Wait, what? YiFan!”
 
Before he could change my mind, I pulled on Inferno’s reins and beckoned him to take off. We floated in the air and zoomed towards the destined area. I searched for the outlaw, but there was no sign for him. A scent of familiar wolves caught my senses. The blood shed off the wolves the outlaw killed guided me closer to him.
 
It was a moment before I heard a crack, a scream, and a terrified call. “JIWON!”
 
I knew it. It was the hundred-foot drop.  The lady was seen staring down in panic and the man was falling off the ledge. “Inferno, faster!” I commanded. My dragon let out a small roar before it dived down into the fall.
 
A few seconds after that, we managed to reach the man’s level. I extended my hand and called out for the man. “Grab on!” I urged him. He seemed to notice my sound and grasped at my wrist. I gripped on his wrist to make sure he wasn’t going to fall.
 
But there was something different about this ‘man’. His hands… they were delicate and soft. I could feel it through his blood-stained gloves.
 
As Inferno settled down from the earlier adrenaline, the Dark Whirlwind glanced at me. I noticed that he had pale white skin – like all vampires do. His dark amber eyes reminded me of how Luhan glared at us when he was infuriated with something. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed at the sight of me, his small pink petite lips parted slightly as he continued to stare at me.
 
My lips unconsciously curled up into a smirk as I chuckled lowly. “Glad I caught you.”
 
The Dark Whirlwind struggled in my grip as an annoyed look appeared on his face. “Yeah, right. Can you let me go now?” his words struck me like a blade. This so-called outlaw was the rude type after all. “So you think you might as well want to fall down into that 100-foot drop…again?”
 
He scoffed and muttered a few things I couldn’t make out as he averted his gaze over to the fall. He let out a sigh and raised his other hand to grab my arm, swung over his body and acrobatically mounted on the spot behind me. “Take us out of here.”
 
I smiled in pleasant and semi-triumph. We soon noticed that Luhan had taken care of the other girl, who now had been sitten on the griffin with Luhan. A moment after that, we took off to a distance far enough from the ledge as I heard the Bloodmoons screaming and calling for the Dark Whirlwind.
 
As we were taking off, Luhan gave me a look as if to ask me why we were doing this. I thought of it deeply and wondered.
 
Why was I helping an outcast? My father had forbid me to hang out with any single vampire and yet, his scent was something I have never smelt before. It was a scent of camellias, a flower that is scarce amongst the city…
 
A flower that my father hated.
 
All creatures in Neo Lunia, vampire or werewolf, have a special scent in their soul. The trained wolves would be able to sort that scent out, such as Bloodmoons, the noblemen, the council members, my father, and me myself.
 
These times he had always preferred the scent of the rose as one of Montague’s symbols. I don’t know why, but I have this slight disliking for a rose; it’s too typical and a cliché. The camellia, however, had captured my attention since my mother had always picked those flowers for me when Dad wasn’t looking.
 
In the midst of my wondering, Inferno had led us to a small alley just near the markets. Seeing that Inferno was about to land, the Dark Whirlwind jumped off the saddle and landed gracefully on the bricked ground, with his cape flowing behind him.
 
And he started to walk away… as if I never existed.
 
 
Author's note:
2nd chapter of Forbidden Love! This shows Kris' POV of the chapter.
Subscribe, COMMENT, and upvote, please!