chapter one

Forbidden Love
Chapter One
The Streets of Lunia

 
16 years later, present day…
 
Neo Lunia had changed a lot since Capulet died. The wolf guards known as the “Bloodmoon Pack” have been torturing the poor people. Some people believe that the heir of Capulet had still lived, hiding somewhere with the vampire guards. Others say that the heir had died in war with the former Duke and Duchess.
 
Well, I believe in the second rumor. The vampire guard Mr. Kim himself had told me so. Too bad that he and Mr. Byun died along with some other great guards in a war with the Bloodmoons.
 
Yet, another commotion has set in front of the town hall. A young poor girl, probably a vampire, had been tied up by the Bloodmoons and had been taken away by her mother. The incident had brought a crowd to watch the terrible scene.
 
“MOTHER!!”
 
“PLEASE, LET MY DAUGHTER GO!”
 
The mother and her tied-up daughter tried to reach for each other, but they were threatened by the huge pitch black wolves creating a barrier in between them.
 
“Tch. Here we are again,” I deadpanned in a low tone. Here I am, Jiwon, crouching high up on a roof at a nearby inn. I was dressed up in all black: a black shirt and vest, black leggings, a black cape, a pair of black gloves, a black fedora hat, and a black eye-mask. I felt like I was dressed up like Zorro.
 
I stared as the wolves tortured the young girl. Tears started to form in her eyes. Murmurs and mutters came from the citizens’ mouth, stating that the girl was innocent.
 
“Please! I’m not who you’re looking for! I know nothing of the Capulets!” the girl cried, begging at the Bloodmoon’s Alpha to release her. “Enough, little girl.”
 
That was all the Alpha said, gaining louder complaints from the citizens. “Silence! All of you!” the Alpha barked, which only lowered the volume of the complaints. “The girl is accused to being a survivor of the House of Capulet. We hold the testimony of you poor citizens!”
 
“Lies! They’re all lies!” the mother cried, once again increasing the volume of the crowd.
 
I rolled my eyes at the commotion. “Why are they still talking about this? The daughter of Capulet is dead, why should they search for more useless proofs?”
 
“Probably because that old Montague would want to put the whole rumor stuff to rest,” a deep voice suddenly remarked. I scoffed and turned towards the boy. “I’ll say, Sehun.”
 
Oh Sehun is a companion of mine. He was an orphan vampire like Chanyeol, found when I was 8 years old.
 
“It’s Sehun hyung, I remind you, Jiwon,” he retorted. I smacked his hand at his childishness. “You’re just two months older than me. That’s not much of a diff--”
 
“Whatever, Jiwon-ah,” he chuckled and jumped down the roof to get a closer look at the incident. I only sighed and rose up to my feet.
 
The testimony and the Capulet things are just useless. What they only do is torture the people. What stupid doings for those ing sh*tty shenanigans--!
 
As the volume of the crowd grew louder and louder, the Alpha’s snout eventually started to wrinkle. He phased into his human form and drew out his sword. “Be silent! I ORDER YOU!”
 
You order the poor innocent people!? How could you!?
 
I couldn’t hold back my anger at these Bloodmoons. I took out one of my daggers and accurately threw it towards the Alpha’s sword, which apparently shocked the Alpha and set the crowd to an utter silence. The Alpha searched frantically and angrily for the person who interfered, but I have been trained to fight these wolves.
 
“Sheath your swords, you filthy dogs!” I called out in a voice that everyone could hear, “Or else, they may rust in the night’s dew!”
 
The crowd was searching for the source of my voice when the Bloodmoons and the young girl caught the glance of my figure. “Goddamn citizens. Who is this man!?” the Alpha barked.
 
The girls’ eyes which were once filled with fear now had a glint of hope. “It’s the Dark Whirlwind!”
 
Dark Whirlwind was my… say, ‘hero-slash-outlaw’ name. I save innocent people from the Bloodmoons. Upon hearing this, the wolves’ eyes begin to fill up with fear. “No. It can’t be! Not again!”
 
I took this as a cue to take a leap from the roof. I landed like a feather in between the girl and the Alpha. I turned to the young girl and slightly smiled at her. “What’s your name, dear?”
 
“H-Hana.”
 
I smiled and drew out another dagger. “You’re free now, Hana,” I smiled at her as I cut the rope that was binding her in one slice of my dagger. She thanked me before she ran back to her worried mother.
 
I stood up from my crouching position as I sheathed my dagger, before pulling out a much longer blade: my sword.
 
“Seize him!” the Alpha demanded. Before I knew it, wolves were charging at me from all four directions. I waited before I lept up into the air, did a somersault and landed on the Alpha’s back, kicking him hard on his spine that sent him tumbling on the street floor. As a vampire, I was lucky enough I had extra strength to defeat his bulky body in spite of my thin slender figure.
 
I took my escape but then the Alpha’s voice halted me. “We won’t let you escape again!”
 
“Is that so?” I smirked and turned to look at them over my shoulder. “Then try and catch me… if you can!”
 
As the wolves tried to pursue me, Sehun rolled out a few black marbles from within the crowd. As the wolves stepped on them, smoke erupted out of the marbles. They were, after all, Sehun’s self-invented mini smoke bombs.
 
He snickered as he put his hoodie back on. “Serves you wolves right. Karma ‘bites’ harder than your ‘barks’.”
 
I took an escape route by the marketplace. After a few minutes, I could see Sehun catching up with me as we ran away from the Bloodmoons. “That went well,” Sehun remarked. “Yeah, but they’re still on pursuit,” I took a glance over my shoulder and saw the wolf pack just a few couple of meters behind us. Just then, I saw an intersection ahead. “Sehun hyung!”
 
The word ‘hyung’ seemed to catch his attention, frankly speaking. He turned his head towards me. “Come on, let’s split up! I’ll get Anha! You go and distract them!” I suggested. We exchanged nods in agreement. As the intersection came, I took a right turn when he took the opposite. But the Bloodmoons were smart enough that they had divided into two small groups and pursued each of us.
 
After more or less than 10 meters, I saw Anha standing in front of a vegetable shop. She had her basket of carrots, onions, garlics, and many other vegetables. Yes, even though we are vampires, we are immune to onions and garlics.
 
I rushed on the street and passed through the citizens, who seemed quite shocked that the Dark Whirlwind was running at this hot hour. “ANHA NOONA!!” I called from a distance as I ran towards her. She turned to me with a gasp and soon, she had an annoyed look on her face. “Oh, come on… Not again!”
 
“Come on!”
 
As soon as I caught up to her, I grabbed her wrist and dragged her with me. She let out a yelp at the sudden impact. “Eeep--!! Wait! Why do I have to run with you!?”
 
I didn’t have time to answer for the Bloodmoons could be gaining at us any moment now. We took a turn towards an alley and up some stairs that took us to a bridge just above the streets and houses.
 
We didn’t know where we could run into. All we knew was to put a foot in front of the other, only to repeat the process again and again. I knew that even if we slow down just a bit, prison would be waiting for us. The Bloodmoons had gathered more reinforcements; I could hear their barks and howls.
 
As we were running down on the bridge, more Bloodmoons appeared from the left side a few couple of meters ahead. I saw a staircase just a few inches away from the intersection leading down to God-knows-where. We had no other choice; the Bloodmoons were charging ahead and from behind. I could only let Anha flee as I distracted the wolves.
 
“Noona, take the stairs on your right!” I told her as low as a vampire could hear. She gave me a small nod in understanding and fled down the steps as I unsheathed my sword and prepared to face the opponents.
 
The tip of my blade nearly touched a wolf’s snout, which left it barking in fury. It leaped to charge at my left unarmed hand, but I turned just by the time I slashed my sword towards its neck, leaving a big line of blood and flesh as the wolf fell limp unto the brick ground.
 
Another tried to attack me. This time, it jumped and tried to reach my neck. I grabbed its neck right on time and stabbed my fangs right into the neck. The canine yelped and let out a whimper in pain as my venom started to act out as a poison into its bloodstream. I threw off the huge dying figure (with a vampire’s enhanced strength despite my thin figure) to the side as blood trickled down my lips.
 
I took a moment to wipe off the remaining blood on my mouth with a piece of my left sleeve before letting out a feline hiss at the pursuing wolves to threaten them. My eyes flashed fluorescent bright red at them, receiving some growls and barks in reply. I snarled at them before dashing down the stairs that Anha previously took.
 
I soon saw her figure frozen in her spot. It was like she was staring at something. I made an abrupt halt beside her, which shocked her a little. I growled when I realized why she was staring at a spot so fearfully.
 
The rest of the staircase was broken and crushed down: we were standing right at a dead end. One more step would lead to a-hundred-foot drop. One step back would lead us back to the Bloodmoons.
 
“Great,” I let out a groan in frustration, “we’re trapped.”
 
The only option now is to turn back and finish the rest of the Bloodmoons. And so, I turned my back to hopefully find a better exit and manage to kill every single wolf left.
 
But as I took a step back, the bricks (on the spot which I stepped on) which supported the staircase collapsed, which, unfortunately, sent me into the 100-foot fall. “Jiwon!” Anha screamed for my name.
 
I could feel gravity pulling me closer and closer to my death. Wind rushed up against my body. Blood rushed in my body as I started to panic. Man, where could I have flying powers when I needed it?
 
Suddenly another gust of wind and a shadow approached me. “Inferno, faster!” a deep voice yelled at a distance.
 
When I began to think that I was hallucinating, a view caught me off-guard. A huge scaly black dragon was descending towards my direction. Its body was like a giant lizard with huge black bat wings. Its tail was long like a snake and its head was filled with horns which trailed down unto his neck and his back.
 
Then the dragon reached my level as I saw a hand extended from what it seemed to be its rider. “Grab on!” the same deep voice urged me.
 
I had no time to even look at the rider’s face since I was in the verge of death, so I half-desperately grasped on his extended wrist as he tightened the grip on mine.
 
It was a split-second before the dragon slowed its pace. We were floating at least one-third of the fall height. It was then I took a glance at the rider’s (and possibly my savior’s) face.
 
Okay. On first sight, I think this guy might be a bit cold and arrogant, judging from his appearance and his rich-looking clothing. But on the other side, I had to admit, this guy was… just… utterly handsome. His ash-blonde hair was chopped down by his neck and his bangs covered his forehead. His thick eyebrows were slightly furrowed and his auburn orbs seemed to pierce deep into my soul. His nose was straight and his jawline was sharp.
 
His rose-pink lips curled up into a smirk. “Glad I caught you.”
 
 
Author's note:
*cues drum roll* Ta-dah! This is the very first chapter of the story!!! I hope you find even more interest in this story!
Subscribe, COMMENT, and upvote, please!