Chapter 5

Sungyeol's Assumption

 

     “Ah, this is the place.” Junsu gazed at the KoKoAh café as though he was reuniting with an old friend. (How coincidental!) As you looked around, you remembered that the café was very close to where Sungyeol worked. Perhaps you could stop by afterwards and give him the bouquet to cheer him up, if he wasn’t still caught in the meeting.

     “How many?” asked a waitress.
     “Two, please,” answered Junsu. “Outdoors.”
     “Right this way.”
     The waitress led the two of you to your seats, and Junsu pulled out your chair for you. He placed the bouquet off to the side of the table.
     “Now it looks like we’re on a date,” he laughed. “So, tell me, how’ve things been going since I’ve seen you last? Are you still working for that maniac boss of yours?”
     “Yes, sort of. She got promoted, so now she’s really my boss’s boss.”
     “I see. One of these days, you’ll have to move down to Yeoju and see what it’s like to work there,” said Junsu. “You could even stay at my place, I don’t bite!”
     You smiled. Oh, how that was true. In all the years that you’ve known Junsu, he had never hurt a soul. Not once had you ever seen him pick a fight with anyone, even when they might’ve deserved it.
     But there’s no way you could transfer to Yeoju while you were still with Sungyeol. He had his job to go to, and it would be hard to support him in a long-distance relationship. However nice Junsu’s gesture was, you knew it was impractical.
     “Thanks for the invitation, but unlike you, I actually like Seoul,” you teased.
     “Yeah, you always were a city girl,” he chuckled.