Chapter Six

I'm Not Who You Think I Am


Jongdae hated breakfasts. It was the only time during the day that he and his family were forced to sit down together and eat - all other meals they could go off and do their own thing. But breakfast? There was an unspoken rule that the first meal of the day had to be spent with each other. Usually, Jongdae could bear it, being just his parents, himself and Jongin, but when Kibum was there the usually boring meals turned into drama filled episodes, worthy enough to become a soap opera. Maybe it was the fact that the perfect son Kibum was there that changed their father's whole attitude. Most times Hyoyeon wasn't there, but on that particular morning she wasn't and Jongdae hated it.

Jongdae paced his room as he waited for his mother to call him down for the breakfast she loved to make. It was a weekend, meaning that she would take her time and as such, the eating itself would take longer and there would be more time for Kibum to make fun of him. Jongin stared as his brother as he paced to no end, "You nervous or something?"

Jongdae shook his head lightly and turned in the direction of the other male, "No, why would I be? It's just breakfast."

Jongin raised an eyebrow, "Really? You're not like this when Hyo's here."

"Really?" Jongdae forced an expression of being confused onto his face, "I don't think I act any different."

Jongin pursed his lips, "But you do hyung."

"I don't," Jongdae snapped, turning away from Jongin and walking to the window, staring down at the driveway, hoping his sister's car would pull up and that she'd walk through and make the meal somewhat bearable.

It wasn't unusual for Hyoyeon to drop in for breakfast since her university wasn't too far and her apartment that she shared with her best friend Seohyun, was located somewhere between the family's home and her place of education. Kibum also attended the same university, however he had made no effort to move out, and as such, he was always around, ready to make fun of Jongdae in any way he could.

The Jong twins remained in silence, neither knowing a way in which they could break it. Instead, the opted to remain in the quiet state until the mother called them. Jongin bounded down the stairs, hungry, as he hadn't eaten in seven hours. Jongdae on the other hand, walked slowly, mind wandering to the thought of his and Joonmyeon's date which was only two days away.

As he took his usual chair in the far corner of the square table, Jongdae noticed that the atmosphere was different. Usually as soon as he entered the kitchen and dining room area, Kibum had already made some sort of remark about his hair or how he was dressed. This time however, no remarks had been made. Instead, Kibum just looked up at Jongdae and returned to destroying his plate of baked beans on toast.

His mother smiled as she placed a bowl of simple cereal in front of him, "Your father managed to secure a big deal with the Kims."

Jongdae raised an eyebrow in fake curiosity as he mixed the cereal and the milk together, "What one?"

"The one where he'll hopefully rise up in the ranks of the business and get more money, obviously."

Jongdae's father was no stranger to asking for new ways to obtain new money. In fact, Jongdae thought that the skill of pleading for more money was the only one his father had.

Jongdae hadn't even taking a spoonful of his cereal when his father burst in, grinning from ear to ear, "Your father, has just got a raise!"

Jongdae's mother, Kibum and Jongin all clapped and congratulated him whilst Jongdae sat there, eating his cereal quietly. not wanting any attention to be drawn to him. Jongdae's father thanked everyone and gave people smiles until his eyes landed on Jongdae. Instead of speaking, he shot a dirty glare at him and turned to his mother, "What is he doing here?"

Jongdae's mother flashed her husband a confused look, "He's our son? He lives here Ryeowook?"

His father said nothing but kept a healthy glare fixed upon Jongdae's face. He paced around the table for a while before coughing, "What relations do you have with Mr. Kim's son?"

Jongdae, whose eyes had looked back down at his bowl, looked up at his father, "We're friends - we're partners on this science project."

Jongdae's father raised an eyebrow, "Really? Because his mother called me and told me how happy she was that you two were going on a date."

Jongdae's eyes widened slightly, "I...er..."

A smirk formed on his father's face, "You can't reply?"

Jongdae shook his head slightly, "N-No."

His father laughed and clapped his friends. His tone was cold and friendly, "You know, I was doing well in my promotion. Really well. But when people find out that my son dates one of the high leader's son, what will I become?"

He turned to Jongdae after having his back to the teen, "What will I become?"

"I-"

"I'll become a ing joke. All because of you. You know what? Leave, I don't want to see you right now."

Jongdae gulped back a lump in his throat and something inside of him snapped. He picked up his bowl and threw it at the wall nearest his father, smiling internally as the bowl smashed to tiny pieces, "Good! I didn't want to stay here anyway."

Grabbing his hoodie, Jongdae ran from the room and out the door, running into Hyoyeon on the way out.

"Jongdae? What's wro-" Hyoyeon started, ready to comfort her brother. 

Ignoring her, Jongdae stormed from the house and ran. The last thing he heard was his sister screaming.


Sorry for the late update DX

I kinda lost motivation (that's why this chapter is meh.)

Anyway, subscribers and comments are loved <3

Alsooo, #WeBelieveInYouKris