.6

Blood is Thicker than Water

It was time for the big championship games. I saw Chanyeol seated up on the bleachers giving me a thumbs up. I let a smile take over my face. Maybe alll hope wasn't lost.

5+(121).jpg

Over the noise, I heard the coach gathering us together for a final word before we went against the seahawks. People were cheering and enthusiastically eating the foods our school provided.

"Ok girls. Go and have fun! Try to win if you must! But the main goal here is fun ok? Oh yeah, see that girl? The one with the pigtails smirking at us? She's their MVP. Soobin, you mark her." Coach talked real fast. We nodded and ran out into the courts. Aeri was standing at center waiting for the ball to get thrown up into the air. Pigtails, my name for her, was standing there. Right away I could tell that she was arrogant and a ball hog. 

"TWEET!" The whistle sounded and the ball was up in the air. Aeri thwacked the ball to Sulli and she dribbled it toward the basket for a layup. But as I suspected, pigtails charged toward her. She was so predictable.

"Aniya!" Sulli followed my instructions and passed it to Aniya, who was open. The seahawks weren't good defenders. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Jinna talking to Chanyeol. Did she stalk him!? I shook my head and concerntrated on the game. Perhaps if I won, Chanyeol would... celebrate with us and go somewhere....

"Soobin!" Aniya was trapped as three seahawks towered over her. I gestured at their stance. Aniya understood. I glanced and made sure Aeri was by the basket. I'd get the ball, dribble closer, and pass it to her. Carmen, another girl in our team, friends with Jinna, was standing and observing me. I gritted my teeth. She could help. But no..

Aniya rolled the ball under the defender's feet and I dove for it. As I reached the ball, pigtails roughly pushed me. I was not one to give up, so I grabbed the ball ouf of her hands and quickly snapped it to Aeri who scored a 3 pointer. Yes! The roar of the crowd was defening, with boos or cheers.  Pigtails, who whatsoever had no sportsmanship grabbed me close and hissed, "Don't you dare," and shoved me to the ground. My shoulder took the wordst impact. Sulli rushed over.

"Are you badly injured?" She looked at my now swelling elbow. I managed a nod, ignoring the pain of the swell.

"YOU LITTLE--- YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!" Aeri stormed to pigtails and yelled at her. Aniya rushed to the coach. Was it my imagination but was Carmen smirking in triumph? I followed her gaze up the Jinna, who looked equally as happy. What the... Carmen held up 2 fingers.

"She made a fool of herself 2 times. Airport and now." Her look read. I glared at her.  What was the problem? Jealous eh? While this exchange happened, I didn't noteice that Chanyeol was gone.

"Girls girls girls!" Coach finally came with ice. I placed it on my elbow, instantly feeling better.

"Can you play?" Aeri asked. I shook my head, my arm throbbed too much. I pouted, hating to let my team down.

"It's alright. Our spare player will substitute in. But Soobin- this is your foul shot. Take it." Coach placed the ball in my left hand, the one that wasn't hurt. I'd have to shoot wi with one hand, I realized. The players stood out of the way as I balanced the ball in my hand and squinted at the basket. My right arm dangled down I'll make this shot count, I promised and observed the angle of the basket. I had to shoot more to the right due to my left hand. I took a deep breath, but saw a flurry of movement at the side. I saw Chanyeol waving hectically and giving me encouragement. Now enegerized, I shot. It was a blind shot, but I made it.

The crowd erupted into cheers and I made my way off court. Chanyeol greeted me there.

"Soobin! You must be more careful!" He scolded me after taking a good look at my arm. I smiled, drained all of a sudden. 

"That...that girl!" His eyes flashed with anger. I nodded and sat down on the bench I really wanted to particpate in this game. It was supposed to be our year. We'll still make it.

"Oh yeah, I have something to give you," he shyly backed away to get that something. I wondered what it was. He came back with something behind his back. Something biggish I gathered.

"You tried your best this game and throughout the other games. I want to kind fo reward you for being so good to your team and being so nice to a burden like me." He took out the present.

Gasping, I looked at it. In his hands were a huge bouquet of roses. Light pink roses, my favorite color.

bouquets-25_1_1_3.jpg

"Thank you!" I hugged him, grateful for such a present, "You are not a burden." I sniffed the delicate petals, smelling the sweetness. 

"You didn't have to," I loved the roses. 

"I..wanted to," he cleared his throat and turned kind of pink, the same shade of the roses. 

"These are lovely," I held it up to my face goofily. He laughed, "Let's go home. You need proper care on that elbow of yours." He ushered me out of the courts. I wanted to stay and watch..but Chanyeol changed my plans, not that I minded. 

~~~

"Owwww," I winced in pain when he gently applied some medicine on the tender area.

"Shh shh, it's ok," he calmed me with his deep voice. I heard the door open and chattering come in. Jinna was back! I eagerly waited for her to walk in.

"Oh Soobin! Are you alright? I saw that." She sympathetically looked at my bruise. I quirked my lips into a smile and assured her I was fine. 

"Not," Chanyeol muttered under his breath. With my good hand, I pinched him, hard on the arm.

"Owww," he rubbed his arm and glared at me. I smiled angelically, as though I didn't do anything. Carmen, who I didn't even know was here, cleared .

"You guys look like a couple," Jinna told us, ignoring Carmen. 

"What!?" I was completely flustered. I wish.

"No, no," Chanyeol shook his head and applied a soft bandage on my elbow, finishing off. I thanked him and he just sat there.

"Can I get food?" I rolled my eyes and allowed him to go into the kitchen. 

"Yah! You know what? I'm gonna go to your room," Carmen fled the scene. Jinna looked after Chanyeol with dreamy eyes. 

"See you later unnie," she left as well, but then came back right away, "Who are those roses for?" I didn't know how to answer. She looked at the delicate roses and grabbed them.

"Thanks Chanyeol!" She called before leaving again, this time smirking triumphantly. I wanted to tell her that it was mine, however I didn't have the heart to. There goes my roses, I sighed.

At least someone is happy.