Chapter 8: Romeo + Juliet

Love's Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

How can you hide a love so passionate it burns and turns your world upside down?

 

The late afternoon sun slanted through the glass windows, bathing one side of the classroom with its golden light. Krystal lazily doodled on her notebook as she half-listened to their spinster Math teacher droning on and on about linear equations.

“Yah, what’s the answer for problem number 4?” Jinri hissed at her ear. Then she saw Krystal’s notebook. “What’s that?”

Krystal slammed her notebook shut. “Nothing.”

“I thought I saw Choi Minho’s name in that notebook.”

“What? This is my notebook. Why would his name be on it?” she answered, face flushed.

“Because you’re writing his name over and over again?” Jinri smirked.

“Why would I do that?” she went redder.

“Miss Choi,” their teacher suddenly called out to Jinri. “Care to share with us what you and Miss Jung are whispering about?”

Jinri smiled sheepishly at Ms. Keum. “Aniyo, teacher. We’re just arguing about the answer to the problem in number 4. Mianheyo.”

“Ne. Mianheyo,” Krystal seconded, bowing to Ms. Keum.

Ms. Keum raised an eyebrow and turned back to the board, continuing her discussion on the answer at problem number 2.

Krystal rolled her eyes and turned to the windows that are facing the corridor. Suddenly her heart skipped a beat and began galloping wildly. She saw Choi Minho sauntering down the hallway, his hands on his pockets. When he passed by her window he looked at her, but he neither smiled nor acknowledged her. Krystal just stared at him, too. When he turned away and began to whistle a tune, Miss Keum shouted at him.

“Yah, Choi Minho, stop that whistling! You’re disturbing my class!”

Krystal bowed her head and secretly smiled as her female classmates began giggling. She knew the tune he just whistled was his song for her. But her smile disappeared when she overheard her two classmates talking in front of her.

“Omo, I really find him handsome and exciting!” a girl named Sang-hee whispered rather loudly to her friend and seatmate.

“He’s so mysterious, too. I wonder if he has a girlfriend,” her friend Byung something said.

“None that we know of. I don’t think he has, though. I don’t see him showing any interest in girls. Maybe if I go after him he would notice me? What do you think?” Sang-hee fluffed her stylishly short hair. She was cute, pretty and popular with the boys, too, but not as popular as Krystal.

Krystal’s eyes widened. She was tempted to whack the back of Sang-hee’s head. Yah, , that’s my boyfriend you’re talking about!

Byung-soo- Krystal finally remembered the other girl’s name, turned to look at Krystal and Krystal averted her eyes, pretending to be absorbed with Ms. Keum’s discussion.

Krystal strained to hear Byung-soo’s answer.

“Yah, don’t even think about it. Choi Minho has no interest in girls. I’ve heard that even Krystal Jung has no effect on him. And didn’t they train together for the track and field events? Now they’re back to ignoring each other.”

Sang-hee shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe she’s not his type. I could be his type.”

“Or maybe Byeoung-kun there is his type,” Byung-soo giggled, pointing with her lips to a cute boy who sat nearby. “What if Minho is gay?”

“Aish, I don’t think he is,” Sang-hee argued.

“Miss Keum,” Krystal’s hand suddenly shot up. She stood up when Ms. Keum nodded at her. “Sorry to interrupt but I think you might be interested in what these two is discussing about here,” she indicated to Sang-hee and Byung-soo, who turned at her, surprise written all over their faces.

Ms. Keum raised an eyebrow. “What is it?”

“They’re discussing about the reason why you became an old maid,” she said, smirking.

The teacher’s eyes widened as both girls turned horrified faces to Krystal and rushed to deny her accusation.

“Aniyo, teacher. She’s lying!” Sang-hee glared at Krystal.

“Then what are you discussing about, Miss Yo?” Ms. Keum asked, shaking with suppressed anger.

“We…we…,” Byung-soo said, looking like she might burst into tears.

“To the Principal’s Office, now!”

Krystal smirked at the two girls as they looked daggers at her before getting out of the classroom.

“Dare to cross me and you’ll regret it. Merong!”

Jinri curiously eyed her. She overheard the two girls talking and it was about Choi Minho. She wondered why Krystal got pissed. Maybe Krystal got offended when one of them said her charm has no effect on Choi Minho. But didn’t she over react a bit?

“Now, they’ll hate you,” she told her friend.

“They already hate me, Jinri-yah. I don’t really care about it.”

………………………………………….

Minho stared across the lawn at Krystal who was walking with her friends. He wanted to go near her, to talk to her, hold her and tell the whole school that she is his…but he knew it cannot be.

They both agreed to keep their relationship a secret. He understood her reasons. She doesn’t want her father to know because she knew he would disapprove of Minho. It hurt but he accepted it. It is better like this than to have their relationship revealed and be broken by her father.

Someday, when I graduate and be able to do what I want, I’ll tell my parents about you. And it wouldn’t matter anymore if my father would oppose to it. I’ll run away with you if I have to,she had told him then and those were the words he’s holding on to.

Krystal looked his way every now and then and he was tempted to smile and wave at her. But he kept his face expressionless. Just then, he saw that Kim Kyoung Jae had come up to her and talked to her. The two of them just talked and Krystal was treating Kyoung Jae politely but Minho couldn’t help the jealousy gnawing at him. Other boys can talk to his girlfriend freely in front of everyone else but not him.

He almost went up to them and hit Kyoung Jae when the latter held Krystal’s hand. That’s my girlfriend’s hand you’re holding, you idiot! He wanted to shout at him. But Minho saw Krystal’s horrified face and the warning look she quickly gave him as she wriggled her hand out of Kyoung Jae’s hold.

Minho shook his head. Don’t ruin it, Choi Minho. But their situation is too hard for him and it pains him so. Why didn’t he fall for an ordinary girl? Why Krystal? He has no answer for that. ‘Cause no matter what or who she is, he knew he would still choose her over and over again. His Krystal.

…………………………………..

“Oh my gosh!” Sonyoung squealed as Lee Taemin jogged toward them and went to Jinri. They were watching the boys’ soccer team practice again.

Taemin took Jinri’s hand and held it. “I’m so glad you could come and watch me.”

“Yeah, me too,” Jinri answered rather shyly.

“I’d be really inspired in practice because you’re here.”

Jinri blushed as her friends .

“Yah, you two stop it already. The ants are already swarming up here!” Amber hollered.

 Jinri giggled while Taemin smiled that gentle smile of his. “Would you like to grab something to eat after this?”

Jinri’s smile widened as she vigorously nodded.

Krystal watched the two of them enviously. Then she turned to look at Minho who was standing in the middle of the field. He was looking their way, twirling the ball in his hands. He looked at her for a while before he turned away and sat on a bench. She continued to watch him. He looked as if he was writing something.

As Taemin jogged back to the field the ball went flying to their direction. Minho kicked it precisely to their direction, and it landed on Krystal’s feet.

Krystal picked up the ball as Minho ran toward them to retrieve it. They stared unto each other as she handed him the ball and he took it. He quickly slid a piece of paper into her palm and she crumpled it in her fist, afraid that someone among her friends might see the exchange.

Without a word, Minho left the bleachers and ran back the way he came.

“So, are the two of you back to being sworn enemies?” Amber asked.

Krystal shook her head. “We’re civil to each other.”

Jinri smiled. It seemed that her s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter