Chapter 19: Love's Way

Love's Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At first we couldn’t meet, but how is it so different now

Still you don’t know how much I want to keep on meeting you

You keep me alive, so I can feel you

Even though we are so different our love will stay the same…

                                                                                                      -Minho, Love’s Way by SHINee

 

Kyoung Jae gripped Krystal’s hand firmly in his as they turned from her parents and faced the altar. When they were already standing side by side, he took a glance at her. Her head was bowed, and her profile was partially hidden by the huge curls of her hair beneath the thick veil she was wearing. He smiled in satisfaction as he saw that she was silent and had seemed to submit to their will. Of course, she wanted to see her son and be with the child. She doesn’t know that Chin Hae wasn’t her real son. Kyoung Jae doesn’t even know where the real thing is. He’s probably dead.

As the priest went on officiating the mass, Kyoung Jae studied Krystal, thinking about what he is going to do with her once this is all over and they are alone. His gaze traveled up and down her slim body. He wondered if Choi Minho was able to break this ice maiden’s cool exterior every time he f****d her. Lucky bastard, he thought. But then he grinned. He’s much luckier than Minho now.

Before he knew it, the wedding has progressed and they got to the wedding vows and exchanging of rings. Krystal kept her head bowed even as she faced Kyoung Jae and slipped the ring on his finger. As they exchanged vows, Kyoung Jae thought for a moment that Krystal would suddenly back out and say she’s not marrying him, just like in the movies. But she didn’t. She proceeded to say her ‘I do’ in a monotone.

“I, Jung Soojung, take thee, Kim Kyoung Jae, as my lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, till death do us part,” she recited, almost whispering, her voice hoarse and her tone flat.

……………………….

Minho nervously glanced at his watch as their flight had been called a second time. The passengers are already asked to board the plane. Fear and pain gripped him. He recalled part of his conversation with Jessica Jung last night, when she found him and Jinki across the street from the Jungs’ mansion.

“What if she doesn’t come?” he asked Jessica, doubting her word.

“Then it means it’s her will to marry Kyoung Jae and I can’t do anything anymore to convince her otherwise,” Jessica had answered.

Minho glanced at his watch again. It was almost an hour since the wedding has started, if a wedding really did take place. It is almost finished by now.

Is Krystal still coming? Maybe in the end she still chose to marry Kyoung Jae. But why? With a heavy heart, Minho got up from his seat and held Yoogeun by the hand, leading the toddler to the gate where they should board the plane.

Why, Soojung?

……………………………………..

The wedding went without a hitch.

“You may now kiss the bride,” smiling, the priest told Kyoung Jae and the guests tittered.

Smirking, Kyoung Jae lifted the veil…and his smirk disappeared.

“Hello, Kyoung Jae-ssi.”

“Jessica?!”

It was Jessica’s turn to smirk. She faced the guests. “I’m so sorry if we wasted your time. This marriage is null and void because I’m not actually Soojung.”

There were murmurs and gasps from the guests.

Kyoung Jae gripped Jessica’s arm. “Where is your sister? Where is Krystal?” he shouted.

“I have no idea,” she answered coolly.

“Liar!” Kyoung Jae faced Jung Jae Hwa, whose expression was surprisingly flat. “Do something about this! How could you allow something like this?”

Jae Hwa looked at his eldest daughter, who stared back at him defiantly. He almost smiled. Jessica and Krystal are really his daughters. They are both stubborn and cunning, and will stop at nothing to get their way…just like him. He shook his head and sighed.

“I am tired of chasing and restricting that mule-headed daughter of mine. She can do what she wants from now on, I don’t care,” Jae Hwa answered, and his wife and eldest daughter gasped.

Then Jessica was hugging him happily. “I knew it, appa. I knew you had it in you. Thank you so much.”

“That’s it? My family and I are humiliated here!” Kyoung Jae’s voice boomed throughout the church.

“Fix this mess,  Jae Hwa-yah, or else…” his friend, Kyoung Jae’s father, said.

Jae Hwa raised his eyebrow. “Are you threatening me? You know what I’m capable of. Or don’t you?”

Kyoung Jae’s father didn’t say anything. As powerful and influential as he was, he knew Jung Jae Hwa is so much more. He glared at his friend…or perhaps, his ex-friend now.

“This is the end of this damned friendship and partnership,” Kyoung Jae’s father declared.

Jae Hwa shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

The three of them, Jae Hwa, his wife and his eldest daughter watched as the Kim family stared daggers at them for one last time and began to file out of the church along with the other guests.

“I’m so happy with this change of heart, yeobo,” his wife told him.

“Don’t even expect me to begin treating Choi Chang Hee as family because I won’t,” he told h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter