III

Soulmate #1.


“So ,Miss Jung, has your friend visited you?”
“I’m not crazy.” Jessica gives me a pointed look.
“I never said you were. But if you don’t update me with what’s going inside of your head, I’m going to have to sign you up for another doctor and he may say so.”
"Fine." She rolls her eyes.“After the day that I found out that she’s not real, she hasn’t showed up.”
“That’s good to hear. But you don't sound so thrilled about that. Do you feel happy that she's gone?”
“If I say that I’m not, will it make me crazy?”
“No. In your case it’s totally normal for you to miss her. Your mind created Krystal because you needed someone. And now that that someone has been taken away from you, it is expected for you to crave for that fake closure to come back.”
“I just can’t believe it. People have seen me talk to myself so many times, yet no one said anything.”
“Well people also see other people get ambushed and they don’t even bat an eyelash. Anyway, I think that’s enough for today. Don’t want to keep you away from your man.”
“He insists on coming with me every single time.” She utters a chuckle.
“That’s good. It shows that he cares about you.”
“I guess so. See you next week, Dr. Seohyun”
“Take care, Jessica.”
“You too, Doc.”




“And why am I not surprised to see you here, Luhan.” I comment as I look up from my paperwork to find a miserable looking Luhan come through the door.
“Well, it would be weird if my wife would be surprised to see me.”
“And when did I become your wife?”
“Two nights ago, when we were visiting Prague in my dreams. Oh no, wait, that’s not it. It happened the same night we had on the Eiffel Tower. I didn’t know you could make sounds like that.” He says as he takes a seat at the other side of the desk.
“And I didn’t know that you were such a creep.” 
“I’m kidding, love. Actually I came here, because I needed to escape for a moment.”
“So my office became your ‘happy place’?”
“Well, you’re here, so I guess so.”
“Well I think it’s time for you to find a new happy place.”
“Wow, Dr. Seo. You’re hurting my feelings.”
“You’ll survive.” I say as I put the papers away and place my hands on top of the desk. ”So, tell me Luhan, what seems to be bothering you?”
“Are you playing Physiatrist with me now?” He raises a brow.
“More like I am doing my job as a friend.” I pause. ”And I kind of wanted to get into your pretty little head for a while.” I grin at him.
“I guess that’s what I should expect for courting a Physiatrist who doesn’t know the definition of the word party.”
“Just because I don’t drink doesn’t mean that I don’t know how to party. People can have fun without alcohol, you know.”
“I already knew you were going to say that without you even opening your mouth. Maybe I should’ve become a physician like you. Can you imagine how fun it would be working together?”
“That would make you psychic rather than a Physiatrist.”I answer in a dull voice. “So what’s eating you, Dr. Lu?”
“A little girl died today. 6 years old, pretty bright for her age. She got into a car accident and one of her ribs pierced through her left lung.”
“Oh my, poor thing. Don’t you perform lung transplantation surgeries?”
“We do, we just didn’t have a transplant at the moment.” He sighs and tilts his head back “Don’t you just hate your job sometimes?”
“Well you know Anton Chekhov has once said: ‘Doctors are just the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too.’ “
“Wow.”
“What?”
“That’s so hot. All of this smart talk goes straight to my .”
“You’re disgusting.”
“But honest about it.” He grins and it makes me chuckle.
“Want some coffee?” I offer.
“Nah, I bothered you enough for today.” He gets up from his seat in front of my desk and fixes his coat. “Can’t continue mourning like this. Life goes on and so should I.”
“Well in that case, the door is right there.” I say as I point to the door.
“Aw, is little Joohyun getting angry because I am leaving so soon? Do you want to play doctor with me a little longer? Daddy can make some time for you, boo.”
“Out.”
“Don’t worry, love. I’ll be back tomorrow and we can play all you want.”
“Now!”
“I’m going, I’m going.” He says while laughing as he gets up from his seat.