Chapter thirteen!

Homerun to SMT International School

“Cheers!” the 21 glasses ‘clinked’ as they did a toast to celebrate at their favorite restaurant in town. Considering that it wasn’t that easy a task to sneak out on a school day, all these kids wanted was a good rest from all the training and studies that have been strangling them for the past months.

 

“GUYS LET ME TALK! I have something to say…” Kyungsoo knocked his chopstick against his glass.

“Are you mad? Who’s stopping you?” Nayeon snapped teasingly.  

“Right.” Kyungsoo thought for a moment, before continuing, “Thank you all for training so hard for the pride of our school and the country… As for now, let us concentrate on our studies and do well. From what I’ve heard, the International league starts a month after our exams. Coach has also given approval for the study break which I suggested, since we have been neglecting our studies for the previous competitions.”

“That’s right, training will be stopped from now till the end of our exams.” Kris said as he stood up. As he turned around to make his way to the counter to get more meat for the BBQ, he bumped into a familiar figure…

“Coach?” Kris looked really puzzled.

“Yes my captain. Are you shocked to see me?” Coach taunted.

The team burst out in laughter as Kris got ridiculed. Well, it’s not an everyday affair where you get to see the captain lose his words like the cat’s got his tongue.

“Anyway, back to the topic…” Coach’s voice trailed off as Kris interrupted her sentence, “Were we even on a topic initially?” Coach gave Kris a light smack on his arm for that.

“Let me introduce to you a new player whom I have tried out recently. Her foundation is really strong and I think she would be an asset to them team. Say hi to Gina!” Coach signalled for Gina.

It was almost like as if the world has stopped spinning. In the minds of the team were thoughts asking if it was the same “Gina” they were talking about, the tyrant, the bully. Well, they would know in the matter of seconds.

Much to their dismay, the girl who stepped out from behind had a face so familiar and the smirk from those plump lips were just a tad too y for all of their liking.

“No worries coach, I am VERY close to the team. In fact, I am particularly close to the captain.” Gina turned to reassure the coach that they would get along before they bid the coach goodbye.

 

Nayeon took a deep breath before sticking out her right hand to welcome Gina into the team. Gina stared at the hand which would never be the same anymore, scars all over from the wounds.

“Nayeon, you’re too nice! She…” Soomin whispered, as if Nayeon needed any reminder about what Gina did to her.

Sitting closest to Gina at the aisle, Tao yelled at the top of his voice, “YOU. ITS YOU. HYUNG THAT’S THE GIRL THAT BULLIED NAYEON RIGHT? YOU ” Tao never bothered waiting for Luhan to reply before he sprung forward grabbing the buff girl by her shirt. All of them got out of their seats and surrounded the duo.

“Tao stop it. I SAID STOP IT.” Nayeon raised her voice and tried to separate the two when Tao refused to let go. “We’ll talk when we get back (to the dorm). Let’s pack up and go back I think we are pretty done with dinner for tonight.” Nayeon said firmly.

“Sure, who would have the appetite to eat with a dog barking at the side?” Chen mumbled, just loud enough for Nayeon and Gina to hear.

“GUYS STOP. THAT’S ENOUGH.” Nayeon screamed and decided that enough was enough.

“Gina?” Nayeon softened.

“WHAT. Is he not going to apologise? Calling someone a dog or a isn't the nicest of things to do to a teammate. What hooligans we have in the team.” Gina fluffed her skirt and smmothened out her shirt when Tao released her,

“Come for the next training, that will be afterour exams in a month. And be punctual.” Nayeon said, walking away from her with EXO and HUNTERS, leaving Gina alone at the table, dazed at Nayeon's sudden outburst.

“Oh.” Nayeon turned about and said, “No one is forcing you to stay. You can choose not to play with hooligans and become one yourself you know.”

At that moment, Nayeon has decided that she was the Captain and she will lead like one.

 

That night in Nayeon and Soomin’s dorm;

“I really like how you guys always mange to sneak in like that” Soomin giggled at the guys who were all masked and covered up in case they got caught.

“I know I’m handsome” Chanyeol blurted out of the blue

“Shut up Yeol” Nayeon snapped. “Uhmm guys I know…” she continued but couldn’t seem to find the right word

“You know what man? WHAT? Are you aware that by accepting her into the team it means that more of such incidents can happen? Why are you so helpless against her? I thought you were always very strong and tough, or even mean to us and what is this? Being the Mr. Nice Guy, is it really that fun?” Chen kind of shouted at Nayeon who was still thinking about how she should phrase her words.

He never wanted to sound mean, he just overreacted to the whole situation because he was worried for her safety knowing that a crazy like Gina was capable of anything

“Listen to me before you start screaming at me about accepting Gina into the team will you? First off, I don’t think coach will bring her into the team for no reason. She must have seen something in Gina that the team needs to win the league and you can’t blame her, she don’t know what happened between her and I want you guys to keep it a secret.” Nayeon started off, which earned her a Chen who rolled his eyes growing more and more impatient and a few gulps here and there.

“After that incident, she promised to leave me alone and I’m willing to give her a chance. Since she is in the team now, and I am the captain, I’m going to act like one. I hope you guys can accept her and not be prejudiced against her.”

“That’s bull. Go ahead and accept her, go hug her, make her a main player for all I care. When something happen don’t come crying to me.” Chen muttered before walking out of the door, slamming the door shut behind him.

“Don’t come to me either.” Tao said before following behind Chen as the rest stood up to leave.

Nayeon just looked down onto the carpeted floor thinking whether it was a wrong move to try and persuade the team instead of standing with them against Gina. She didn’t want to doubt coach’s decision on pulling Gina into the team, neither did she want to fall out with the team. Thoughts swirled in her brains the whole night, and she knew it would be another sleepless night for her again. Picking up her earphones on the coffee table, Nayeon sauntered into her room, almost tripping over Soomin, who was calling out to her to check if she was okay, along the way.