Chapter fourteen!

Homerun to SMT International School

Next day in the baseball basement before their study session together in the library:

“Must you guys be so harsh on Nayeon? Like do you guys ever think of how she feels before screaming in her face?” Soomin exclaimed, taking the chance to give the guys a piece of her mind before Nayeon came down from class.

By this time, Xing Tong, Lisa, and JiaQi have also heard about what happened the night before and they agreed with Soomin. Somehow they felt that they can understand her so much better.

“Guys” JiaQi muttered to herself and rolled her eyes

“You think she has a choice? Coach was the one who brought Gina into the team. Nayeon is right, Coach always has her reasons for doing things. Is she supposed to go to Coach and tell Coach that she doesn’t want to have Gina in the team?” Soomin was getting so angry her face was turning redder by the minute, despite Kyungsoo’s occasional pat on her back to calm her down.

“Precisely, I’m sure Nayeon had her own considerations before she could bring herself to persuade us to accept Gina. And it’s really mean of you, Chen. Screaming at a girl is no way a guy should do things.” JiaQi continued, “You too, Tao. All of you ought to think before you do things. Having to handle the Gina thing, the upcoming International League, lead the team, study for her Year Exams, Nayeon doesn’t need a bunch of guys shouting at her for something she’d been mustering up her courage to do and walking out on her when she needs the team’s support the most.”

The girls who decided that they were done with these immature guys, picked up their books and left for the library. “If you guys can’t do anything to help her then at least don’t be another problem for her. Like screaming at her and getting angry at nothing. Don’t give me excuses like you being worried for her or things like that,” Soomin said as she turned around to stare at Chen, “Because there are always other ways to show your concern.”

Soomin stomped away, whispering to herself “If only you guys saw how upset and troubled Nayeon was yesterday night, suffering from insomnia instead of sleeping like a log”

“I haven’t seen her so pissed before…” Chanyeol said softly, as Tao held onto Kris’ arm with guilt written all over him. Chen on the other hand, seemed pretty indifferent, like as if he thought that his actions were perfectly fine. Throwing his bag into the store, Chen stomped towards the locker area.

There was Nayeon, clumsily trying to stuff her books into her locker, dropping a piece of paper in the midst of it.

Chen bent down to pick up a paper that read:

“Prescription of medication” and names of a few complex medications.

“What the hell is this?” Chen held up the piece of paper and shoved it in Nayeon’s hand. “Why are you on medication? Are you unwell?” Chen sounded all concerned

“You are the one that is unwell. Not me.” Nayeon turned around to slam the faulty locker door back into place before folded the paper nicely before placing it in her wallet.

Just when she was about to leave, Chen placed his hand on the locker, making a human barricade to stop her from walking away.

“Just what exactly do you want? Sometimes you get all nice and caring, and the others you just act all mean and stuff. Do you have a split personality or something? Or is it very fun to scream at me and see my reaction? Whatever Chen, WHATEVER. I have got no time for all this .” Nayeon stared straight into his eyes as she replied him, then gave him a light push so that she could pass.

“I’m sorry.”

Nayeon stopped in her tracks, back-facing Chen.

“Why say sorry? Nobody is ever in the wrong, nobody except me.” Nayeon thought about how persuading them may have been a deadly move, and the Gina incident. Tears start to form in her eyes.

“No, I was too insensitive yesterday. I know it’s very pressurizing for you these days. Let me be there to help you with the problems will you?” Chen walked up to her, putting his left arm over her shoulders.

“That’s what you guys always say.” Nayeon looked away and swallowed the lump forming in before lifting his hand from her shoulder, letting it fall back next to him.

“Who are the ‘you guys’…?” Chen thought. Scratching his head in confusion, he lifted his right hand to stop Nayeon from leaving, but she was already walking further and further.