Chapter nine!

Homerun to SMT International School

“It’s such a cruel thing to tell her straight in her face that she will not be playing for the league she’s been working so hard for… Please don’t make me do it…” Soomin said meekly when they gathered outside the room to discuss about how they were going to break the news, leaving Chen to accompany Nayeon.

 

Kyungsoo gave her a comforting pat on her back and brought her into an embrace. He knew that it was just as hard on Soomin as it is on Nayeon, especially since she has always looked up to Nayeon as a friend who takes care of her whenever she needed help.

 

“I can’t bear to do it either,” Lisa’s voice cracked as she completed her sentence, leaning on Kris’ shoulder.

“But someone will have to tell her eventually right? Or are we just going to let her risk it and let her play for the last time…?” What Chanyeol said was true, someone had to tell her. But who?

 

“Let me do it. I’ll tell her.” Xing Tong finally voiced out. The rest agreed that she would probably be the best person, considering that she would be the one replacing Nayeon and that she would probably be the only one who will be able to provide Nayeon with some reassurance that the team will do just fine with Xing Tong taking her place.

 

Meanwhile in the room:

 

“Does it still hurt?” Chen asked, with apparent worry etched onto his face.

 

“What do you think? Did you get up from the wrong side of the bed today? What’s with you being so caring all of a sudden man, it doesn’t suit your image at all.” Nayeon tittered at how Chen’s expression changed from a concerned face to a vexed one. “How cute…” Nayeon thought.

 

“Why can’t you be more lovable at times? It makes it so hard to be nice to you… Aish” Chen rolled his eyes. “Since when were you ever nice to me? Hmm, why can’t I seem to remember?” Nayeon teased.

 

“I GIVE UP!” Chen surrendered putting both hands in surrender. “HAH I win” Nayeon yelled.

 

“Why can’t she be more matured and stop thinking that whatever I’m saying is a joke? Isn’t it obvious enough that I am really into her?” Chen thought to himself as he shook his head in frustration.

 

“Chen would you leave us for a moment please?” Xing Tong requested as she closed the door behind her. “Sure, where are the rest?”

 

“They’re in the café downstairs.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Xing Tong took small steady steps towards Nayeon who casted a soft smile at her. “I thought you had to head home to study, don’t you have your first paper tomorrow? Why did you bother coming?”

 

“Nahh, I’ve already prepared for it. Actually Nayeon, I have something to tell you…”

 

“What is it regarding?”

 

“Uhmm, it’s like this, your hand…the doctor said you won’t be able to heal in time for the league, and even if you do, you can’t play. Because if you do so, you may be paralyzed forever.”

 

Xing Tong felt as if a weight had been added to her chest. That short few seconds of waiting for Nayeon’s response feel like time has stopped.

 

“Oh, that…will you be the one replacing me?” Nayeon finally responded. Her response was a huge shock to Xing Tong. Wasn’t she upset? Doesn't it make her dejected that all the years and years of training went down the drain just like that?

“Yes, don’t worry, I will do well and I won’t let you down. But, Nayeon, aren’t you upset…?” Xing Tong was curious.

 

“Why should I be? There are always two sides to things. This may be a blessing in disguise don’t you think so? Maybe this is the way god planned things to be, maybe we will only be able to win the championships this way.” Nayeon gave Xing Tong a small shrug and patted her on the shoulder. Now it seemed more like Nayeon was reassuring Xing Tong rather than the other way round.

 

“It's already 8 now, get the guys to send you and Lisa home safely. You have to sleep early for your paper tomorrow. And, about this…” Nayeon pointed to her bandaged hand, “Don’t worry. I’m fine. Now, get going! I need my sleep.” She commanded like always.

 

“Bye, see you tomorrow if I can make it.”


 

Back in the café:

 

Upon seeing Xing Tong’s return, Baekhyun and Chanyeol stood up. “How was it?” they timidly asked. They fell silent as they stared at Xing Tong, wanting to know how Nayeon took the news.

 

“Well, she accepted it a lot better than I thought she would. No tears, no tantrums, no screaming, but instead smiled at me a lot. Then she shoo-ed me away claiming she wanted to rest.” Xing Tong scratched her head in wonder and then shrugged.

 

“That’s pretty odd… But oh well, she’s a strong girl, I’m sure she will manage.” Kris stated calmly and turned to Lisa. “Let me send you home, it’s late.” Lisa nodded in response. “Kyungsoo, see Soomin home, it's been a long day for her. And uhm…Luhan, your chauffer has arrived right? Will you see Xing Tong home?” Luhan acceded and led Xing Tong to his car parked right outside.

“Bye guys, see you guys tomorrow!” and the large group dispersed. Chen being Chen, thought the reaction given by Nayeon was overly calm and he was still worried.

 

“You guys go ahead, I forgot something in the room. I’ll find my way back to the dorm.” He headed towards the direction of the lift.

 

Nayeon was left all by herself in the room. She thought she was going crazy as she stared at her hand and she poked her right hand lightly and then harder and harder until she started hammering on her own hand and blood seeped through the bandage. She couldn’t feel anything except a small tinge of pain each time. Pinching her fingers and trying to move them, she realized she couldn’t do so. The more she couldn’t feel anything, the more she hoped that maybe by whacking harder she could feel a little more. In the midst of that Chen barged into the room and was shocked by the scene that greeted him.

 

A sobbing Nayeon, a bleeding hand and uncontrolled actions of the other.

“Stop it! Stop it stop it stop it.” Chen ran towards her, pulling her in a tight hug to stop her from hurting herself. “Let go!!!” she pushed him away as hard as she could but he knew he won't let go, ever.

 

 

Author's note: Credits to my Beta again! I hope the story is alright up till now! Feel free to leave me some comments so that i can improve on the story!