Lovers

Mermaid's Reality: Black Pearl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With eyes coloured in the deepest shade of grey, the water-being protruded from the calm sea, summersaulting in the air before launching back inside the green waters with a mild splash. Her laughter spilled through the still night as she waded through the sea to shore. Upon shore, her aqua tail with pink tips transformed into a pair of perfect, long legs. She wiggled her feet on dry land, still not used to the feeling of them but she loved them nonetheless.

Every night since she was young, she would meet a boy in a cave near the palace and every night they conversed in each other’s embrace.

The cave itself was quite small. The walls were moist, always covered in trickling salt liquids. In the corner, a deep clear lake of water stayed. Black fishes with grey freckles swarm in the waters along with the seals that visited frequently. The ground was smooth which felt wonderful underneath her feet too. Even though it would be night, there was always a blue glow from the lake which enlightened the darkness.

“You’re here.” A voice spoke as the mermaid felt hands wrap around her petite torso from behind.

 The warmness from his body was alluring. With a small smile, she leaned back into his arms. He buried his face into her neck and the tips of her silver hair. “What happened here?” The concern from the male’s voice asked as his fingers lightly grazed over the small but deep cut on her shoulder.

Hanbyul giggled at her lover’s question. “Remember last night?” She grinned widely, a faint blush visible on her cheeks.

“O-Oh.” Kai grew flustered. “Ah yes.”

“You pushed me back onto the wall a bit too hard.” She reminded.

“But you enjoyed it.” Kai bit her earlobe and chuckled into her ear with that raspy tone of his. Goosebumps decorated Hanbyul’s skin, “Yeah.” She sighed softly. “But are you okay?” He was back to being worried. “I’m fine, it’ll heal.” She assured him. “I hope so.” He muttered rather guiltily, pecking the clean wound and lacing their fingers together.

“How about you?” Hanbyul questioned. Since she felt Kai’s presence, there was something slightly off with him, like he was hiding something. Kai froze and Hanbyul immediately noticed it. She warily turned around and faced the handsome young man. His hair was wavy and a bit long where the front of his hair almost covered his black eyes. His features were well defined as his body, toned and tan.

Kai avoided her gaze and she cupped his face from worry. “What is it?” She searched his murky eyes. She lightly brushed away the strands of hair from his eyes and pecked his lips, instantly catching Kai’s attention. A smirk broke onto his lips but then it faltered, remembering the reason for his unhappy state.

“I’m getting married.” He said carefully, staring straight into those big, grey eyes that seemed as if many stars danced in them. He noticed they dimmed from his confession and his heart wrenched from guilt and regret.

“Y-you’re getting what?” Her voice came out as a fragile whisper. Her hands dropped to her side and she gazed at her beloved with mistrust. She took a cautious step back and shook her head slowly, in great disbelief. It felt like she went deaf as she watched Kai scramble towards her with a strangled expression of sadness but all Hanbyul could feel was the unwell feeling of betrayal. It was also like her heart paused to beat.

Kai came forward again and touched her arm, his eyes swarming with so much bad feelings she wanted to turn blind so she couldn’t see those pained orbs that pleaded with her to see reason in his statement.

“It was my father who set it up, not me.” He desperately cried out, “It’s an arranged marriage. I only found out last week-“

“Why didn’t you tell me last week?” She asked in a silent whisper as tears brimmed from her eyes.

“I-I couldn’t.” Kai defended, “I-I don’t love her Byul, I love you.” He claimed with a soft and u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter