A Glimpse of the Past

And Because Love Battles

 

*Aya’s Thoughts*

 

“You know that I won’t stop, right?”

 

When she spoke, she didn’t turn to face him. “Suit yourself. I don’t know about you, probably you have a lot of time to waste but I, on the other hand,  have better things to do.” Then she closed the door and left.

 

When she reached the counter to give the medical record, she hurriedly went to the restroom. The moment she reached the restroom, she relentlessly pounded the hell out of bathroom sink. She stumped the bathroom floor imagining it was Jiyong’s face.

 

Ugh, I hate his arrogance. What the hell does he want from me anyway? Do I even look like I want to play games with him?  You know that feeling when someone’s existence just pisses you off? That’s exactly how she was feeling with Jiyong. It was intensified of course by his outright arrogance.

 

=====================

 

When she told him “Suit yourself”, he really did. He was almost always in the clinic, either a mild headache, a toothache, a stomachache, a sprain. It’s amazing how he could easily made up illnesses. Although she knew he wasn’t sick, she still had to check him up. What if he was already telling the truth and she didn’t check on him? She didn’t want to jeopardize her career. She studied so hard for this.

 

Whenever she wasn’t in the clinic, he’d stalk her from his car while she was walking down the street. It was pretty funny at first, but it got old and irksome. She had to look for alternative path back to her apartment. The constant calling of “Jagiya, saranghae!” while he’s on a car and she was out the street was downright annoying.

 

To be honest, she could just give in to what he wants. And it’s easy- her attention. That’s just what Jiyong wanted from the very start. Being a famous star, she understood that being ignored must have hit a certain nerve on Jiyong. He had to prove himself that he can have anyone’s attention. Unfortunately, she’s not that kind of person. She wanted him to realize that she will never give in, plainly because she does not have the liberty and time to waste on him. So she thought that at some point he’d grew tired and he would just stop.

 

Apart from that, she already has someone she likes. A man that was introduced to her by her mom. Their mothers were friends back when they were younger. And now that their kids are older, they both wanted to end up with each other. When she met him, it was not much of a trouble simply because he was everything she wanted in a man. It was not hard for them to get to know each other.

 

He is gorgeous but very down-to-earth. He has the same position with Jiyong in the society- as a popular and godly idols.

 

However, he was nowhere near Jiyong’s character. Jiyong is conceited while he is very sweet and nice. Jiyong gives off an overconfident aura while he was gentle and quiet. She could tell him everything from complicated medical terms down to petty things. Surprisingly, he was also very playful and funny. She never felt even once that she was just an average woman and he’s famous. He likes attention when he’s onstage, but outside the studio and off-camera, he wanted the quiet lifestyle away from the crowd.

 

She was deep in thought, waiting for him in the park when someone sat beside her on the park bench. He was wearing black jeans, navy blue long sleeves with the sleeves slightly pulled up his arms and he was wearing a black wristwatch as always. He had his navy blue cap on and shades.

 

“Aiyoo, it’s so hard to sneak out from the boys. I’m sorry to keep you waiting,” he turned his face to hers. He was smiling. Even with the shades, she knew his eyes were smiling as well.

 

“What’s wrong? Are you okay? Are you mad at me?”, he murmured while he continued to caress her face. His touch was so gentle. She liked the feel of his fingers on her face.

 

Aya was just looking at him. I could fall in love with you, you know.

 

She smiled and gave him a peck on his cheek. “You know, with that kind of personality. You just made the other guys in this planet look really awful.”

 

Gi Kwang smiled. He put his arms around her and pulled her for a hug. His body covered her tiny frame.

 

“You always make me the happiest guy in this planet”, he whispered close to her ear.

 

==================

 

 

“You’re crazy.” He smirked.

 

“Oh yeah? What makes you say that?” she raised her right brow and she tugged a mocking smile on her lips.

 

“Ah let me guess. Is it because I don’t squeal whenever you’re around? Is it because I find you really lame for a guy? Or wait...is it because I just don’t like you- everything about you?”

 

The smirk was swiftly wiped off his face by her blunt comment. He wished she’d stop blabbering but this woman just doesn’t know how to shut up. He shouldn't have provoked her in the first place.

 

“You annoy the hell out of me! Stalking around, pretending you’re sick just so you can go to the clinic everyday and have you checked when we both know you aren’t sick, yelling at me and calling me “jagiya’” inside your car while I’m walking down the street?! And you think that’s cute?! REALLY?!”, the color of her face is now crimson red. And her pitch was not steadily increasing.

 

“Uh-oh! I definitely hit a nerve,” he thought silently.

 

“You listen! I don’t like you. Okay? It shouldn’t make you less of a man. Is that what you’re thinking? Does me not liking you bother you a lot? Does that hurt your pride? Well, it shouldn’t! Things will never go your way always. Look! I am just an average girl who wants to make a difference in this world by being a surgeon. I am no one! Why do you make this a big deal? Are you in some kind of a bet that you have to prove yourself so much?”, her anger is now close to driving her to tears.

 

“Please leave me alone. Please. Not because half of the female population in this country adores you doesn’t mean I have to. If only I could tell you that I like just so you can stop, I would. But I won’t because I will just be lying to you and to myself. Let’s face it. The thought of “us” is impossible. You’re just giving me a headache and you’re just wasting your time on me. I’m begging you. Hajima...”

 

‘Her eyes were full of anger and...was it pity? Does she pity me?’ Jiyong thought.

 

She spoke again, this time her voice was soft but with hint of finality. “I will never play your game, Kwon Jiyong.” Then she turned around and left.

 

Jiyong stared at her walking figure. ‘Game?”, he chuckled.  

 

“I thought you’re smart. Why can’t you see that I like you... so much”, he whispered to no one.  

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------

 

Author's Note: I feel like there's a need for me to justify the name of the female protagonist. LOL. Some might find the name lousy. However, at the time I was writing her, I was thinking of the name to which everyone can relate to, hence Aya.

 


Aya can be written in Hangul as 아야, although I doubt if that name really exists in Korean. In Nihongo it can be written as あや (but again, I also doubt if there’s a Japanese name Aya). In my language, Aya is a root word meaning “pleasing or easy on the eyes”. If you’re from the Western part of the globe, you can pronounce that as “ei-yeah”. Aya can be the shortened version for the name Gaia which in mythology was the Earth-goddess.