Wait

The Lonely Sandman

It was hard… much harder than he had expected…
The little Sandman was struggling, it had been a mere three months after Hongbin’s birthday. Three months he hadn’t seen that child… well now he wasn’t a child anymore but a human teenager. If he were a child Leo would be able to see him. His child. It broke his heart everytime that smile came to mind. 
The urge to go visit him was unbelievable, the temptation for those adventures or just the company of that human child.The few times the urge had gotten too strong, an older Sandman found him before reaching his destination and so he was scolded harshly by Minho for abandoning his duty. The other times had also failed due to Nightmare attacks, the universe appeared against Leo from seeing his human child.
The only thing that really kept him going were the dreams of the children. As his nights grew darker than they already were, Hongbin’s light missing; he found his only joy in seeing how happy the children’s dreams were. The other Sandmen were still strict as ever, it seemed some really found pleasure in shoving around the younger ones.
A good year after Hongbin’s birthday, Ravi pulled him aside one night, asking if everything was okay. As if not there, Leo had only nodded and didn't said a word, the elder giving up at the lack of response. As long as he did his job properly, everything was fine. He was shocked as he realized it had been a year. As he tried imagining what the human was doing, he discovered that he threatened to cry again and he didn't want to do that, it had been traumatising the first time he had done so, the time he left Hongbin. He had sworn he'd never 'cry' again, it was too painful. 
One a routine trip, he started hearing things, as he entered a boys room and saw a blue monster plushy on the floor, a faint voice shouted “Ya cookie monster look what my mum baked!” But as he turned around there was nothing there.  It only got worse, soon he heard stuff like “You be the big dinosaur this time!” “Want to have my lion, he’ll protect you from that storm!” “Leo?” “Hello, Leo!” It was distracting. He had been a mere human child, what right did he have to haunt? Leo thought as he lay in a ball in the cloud, hands pressed against his ears.
That night, his dreams were merciful and showed him adventures they had had. Hongbin’s smile appeared before him and he almost wept again. The dreams had managed to bring a smile to his lips, before waking up to the reality of no Hongbin and the scolding of the other Sandmen.
He met Zelo from time to time, it was another joy he had. Like Ravi, Zelo had found a older Sandman who wasn’t as menacing as the others and taking care of him, in fact he had found two. Himchan and a fellow named Bang Yongguk, one time there had been someone by the name of Yongguk on the cloud, but he appeared so threatening the little Sandman had fled before introductions. But the way Zelo told him Yongguk was a big softy dispite his appearance, and if there were a thing as a mother for the Sandmen it would be Himchan. Himchan and Zelo had met during a storm as the young Sandman had seeked refuge from a storm in little cloud called a drifter and by coincidence Himchan had been in the same cloud. The sight of the puppy like younger one had melted Himchan’s heart, and taken him under his wing. Yongguk was a friend of Himchans and the two had taken to the younger one like a real family.
This brought happiness to Leo to hear his friend doing well. If he wasn’t able to the least he could wish for was his friend to be happy.
His thoughts began to subside and he automaticly went about his work. Almost one and a half years without Hongbin, his mind was bleak, not many thoughts passed his way. And he felt he could do his routine blind by now, given the few rowdies and tricky dreams to give.
One night, as he passed a window however, his mind started back up, there was a beautiful laugh from a window.

Hongbin!

His body reacted faster then his mind and he was in the room of the noise before he had even finished his thought. Oh no. That was not his human child!
The child in the bed holding a doll looked at him with big eyes, he was in trouble. As long as no one saw-
What are you doing?! Screeched through his mind, his hands automaticly holding his head as if to protect it from the sound, so violently had it been thought. An older Sandman swooped in and knocked out the child with so much Sand it knocked it back a bit before it fell asleep.
What were you thinking?! Are you out of your mind? Now that older Sandman had his hands on his collar and was glaring at him. If Sandmen would talk he was sure to be shouting, currently Leo wasn’t sure what he would have preferred, being shouted at or the thunder in his head.
The child saw you! You know how serious this is?! The older one shook him, causing Leo to flinch in fright. Right… how could he forget… he had been so shocked it wasn’t Hongbin he had forgotten about the seeing thing.

All the time with Hongbin, being extra careful not to be caught, fearing the worse… this was it. He had been caught. Something in the back of his mind tried to encourage him, at least it wasn’t with Hongbin, his human child was safe.
The older Sandman was fuming, this youngling wasn’t responding, was he stupid?! How dare he!
We’re taking this to Minho! You better prepare yourself!!Leo’s heart sank, this was really happening. The day he was caught, was happening right now. With that he was dragged out the window and flown straight to the cloud.


What do we have here? The children Sandman and the young adult Sandman? Minho appeared confused, it was to early for anyone to be returning to the cloud.
I was doing my duty and saw this one, the young adult Sandman threw Leo down as Minho’s feet. Minho peered down at the little one laying there.


A human child saw him.
Everything seemed to freeze, the cloud turned a few tones darker and sparked at some ends.
A.human.child.saw.him? The oldest Sandman articulated every single word, his mood as dangersously loaded as the cloud. Leo didn’t even bother reacting, running away wasn’t an option, he couldn't deny it? why should he? Better get this over with fast.
How did a human child see him?! Minho demanded, the young adult Sandman shrugged, I was on my way to the next place and saw him jump into a child’s room like a rebel, couldn’t believe my eyes.
What do you have to say? both turned their attention to the bundle of misery on the floor of the cloud. All Leo could manage was a small, I wasn’t paying attention… I should not have done that…
Minho sighed, you do a really good job. Never messed up once, why now? Leo didn’t have an answer for him.
Well, there is no avoiding this, youngling. As punishment for a human seeing you… I will be marking you with a red star you are banned from the cloud for a day, you must repent your wrong doings and then return to your duty tomorrow night. Leo looked up, banned from the cloud?
But where am I to sleep? It is meant to rain.
The older Sandman shook his head, that is up to you. Now this is the punishment for first time crimes, go now, find shelter before the rain comes…but first hold still. Minho reached out and placed a hand on Leo’s head, there now go. Repent! Next time things will be worse!

It was hard, the little Sandman fought the winds as he headed from the cloud, and cold. As he reached the ground he immediately started to look for a shelter. Why had his mind wandered? That laugh… it was so similar, it had made him move unconsciously. Why? Why? Why was that human child still on his mind?? After all these years??
That night in the rain was awful, forbidden to do his duty, the little Sandman had taken cover under a bench at a bus station. As he saw his reflection in the window of the building behind the station he saw what Minho had meant with 'red' star In his hair, next to his white sparkles and stars was a red star, a mark of a Sandman exiled for a day. No protection from the cloud, he’ll have to stay hidden till night falls. How was he going to do that?

Leo, Leo, I don’t have much time, he heard Ravi approaching, Minho is upset and told me, took me forever to find you!!

Don’t look so down, I’ve been banished for a night too, the older Sandman was now next to him and patted him on the back, and here is a tip; go to the park, lots of trees and plants to hide behind!! Now, got to go, before one of those good for nothings see me helping you!

As dawn broke that is exactly what the little Sandman did, he found a large park and hid deep within an old oak, sleeping, tired for the events of the night before. He was woken numerous times, squirrels yelling at him, kids trying to climb the tree. It was a hard day and he barely got any sleep.
That night, he went about his duty, more careful then usual, but also more tired then usual and as it was over he went back to the cloud, Minho greeting him and removing the star, letting him back into the cloud.
He slept like a stone, dreamless but deep. 

 

 

 

Well done, Sandman Leo, your ten years of duty for the children of Seoul have come to an end, now you are moving on to the teenagers of Seoul. Congratulations. Minho smiled, here is a new Sandman for the children, show him the ropes and then go about your new duty, if you have problems find Ravi!
Ten years? Leo thought numbly, so fast… time had pasted him so fast, the past years were a grey blur, the exile night remained strong in his memory along with a few Nightmare encounters, maybe he’ll probably get used to time passing this fast once he gets older.

He turned to the smaller figure next to him, the new one was a red haired goofy looking thing, P.O was his name, seemed like a bundle of energy, good for the children. Follow me, Leo thought and left the cloud.
As Ravi had done for him, Leo showed the new Sandman everything, how to get around, how to do dreams and trules and how to call older Sandmen. The youngling nodded diligently and made Leo’s job much easier. Before he knew it they were done and it was his turn to start his new duty.


There is nothing to be nervous about, he told himself. It is the same it has been for the last ten years, let’s go. With that he started, and he noticed soon, these new dreams were different from the ones for the children. Instead of toys and games lying around the room, there were posters of musicians and celebrities on their walls, make up spread across the tables, at first he was very confused.

What on earth did they want to dream about?

Soon he discovered that the dreams were more mature then the ones before, after taking a closer look at a magazine that had been laying on a desk.

They wanted dreams of those celebrities, not a problem. He could get the hand of this, he thought as he started giving dreams. Not so hard. He did falter however at the magazines with the celebrities kissing and the ‘best kisser ratings’, how could they like stuff like this. Humans bewildered him.
Also there were, if magazines were missing, a trend of these young human creatures to take on hobbies, there were many rooms with guitars or art stuff. 
It was an interesting evening, getting to know the ropes of this new group.

With the age range being twelve to nineteen years, within the group there was such a large arrange or interest, it was fascinating.
His duty was nearing its end as he stumbled into one of the last rooms. Without thinking he went about his duty looking around the room, only a very small part of his brain started ringing an alarm bell.

The room wasn’t familiar, there was a key board and a guitar in the corner, a desk everything about this room was unfamiliar. However on the desk, wait, was that a lion plushy? The Sandman landed on the desk and took the creature into his hands, a teenager with a lion plushy? Wait, hadn’t he seen this before? Leo’s heart started beating wildly. Wait.


Thud, was the last thing he heard before he was suddely face first, flat on the desk. Was that a pillow? Had he just been hit with a pillow? What was going on?
As he lay, pillow pressing him into the flat cold surface of the desk, the only comfort the lion in his hand, he head shuffling. Suddenly a hand touched his leg and he screamed mentally, causing the hand to hesitate before reaching in and pulling him out. Upside down and freaking out the little Sandman was at a complete loss. In the dark he couldn’t recognize anything, let along hanging upside down. He clutched the lion plushy close to his chest, heart beating wildly. Had a Sandman ever been killed by a human? Was he going to die? First Sandman to be eaten by a human, he sobbed. 


“…are you a dream?” Wait.
That voice.
Leo squinted hard, and now hanging for a few seconds and his eyes ajusting he saw a squinting back. He was a bit tall so must be over twelve, fifteen. But his fair features didn’t make him look nineteen.

Wait.

“… L.. Leo?" The teenager spoke softly and Leo blinked.
Wait.
"Leo is that you?" The human spoke again, before hurriedly putting Leo down on the desk, helping him the right was up.

 Wait.

The Sandman looked up into the face of this teenager, who was he? Then the human smiled, “It is you!” and it hit him.


Hongbin!


With that the teenager's smile grew even larger before he leant over the desk and gathered the Sandman into his arms, without saying another word. Hugging him tight to his chest.
Five years, five years!
Shot through Leo's mind before he wrapped his arms around the human and started crying.