Speak to Me

The Lonely Sandman

Over the course of the next months, whenever Leo had the chance to, he went to Hongbin and they played.

One night they were fighter jets then next Indian dancing around a fire of colorful paper Hongbin had.

However there were also times when the other Sandmen were too close and Leo had to put Hongbin to sleep without play.
But each time he left a sign he had been there, a plushie next to Hongbin, and once he had set up the whole army of dinosaurs to greet Hongbin in the morning.
They had gotten to know each other.

Leo learnt Hongbin was seven years old and living with his mother. He liked to sing and was very good at school.
School, another thing Leo was unfamiliar with, he loved to listen to Hongbin’s stories of art, and the times the Human Child went away and came back with tales of forests and where he had been. 
He could listen to him all day.


In turn Hongbin discovered Leo was only one year old, which made him giggle and boast how much older he was then the little Sandman.
The thing is that the Sandmen aged differently, due to their almost immortal nature, they were born with the knowledge of a young adult, but Leo found it amusing at how happy Hongbin was, believing he was older.
Hongbin was fascinated about the stories Leo told of the Sandmen, he laughed at the thought of little Sandmen sleeping peacefully in the clouds. He kept asking Leo to describe the feeling. Sleeping on a cloud did sound like something out of a fantasy. But who was he kidding, he was talking to a Sandman. 

He also told him stories of how the elder Sandmen were so mean, making Hongbin pull faces and swear to clobber them if they dare do it again.
There were also stories of Ravi, his mentor and predecessor.

He sounded like a good friend, Hongbin had told Leo. At that there had been stories of Zelo. The chirpy always happy other younger Sandman had met Leo numerous times and told him of the lovely Jeju Island. Leo of course happily told Hongbin all about it.
At one point Hongbin had gone to the Jeju Islands on holiday and as Leo met Zelo the next time the other Sandman had spoken of a strange child leaving cookies out for him.

Leo pretended to be amazed even though he knew exactly who that child was.

 

“Have you ever tried talking?” Hongbin had asked one night.
Talking? Leo was confused.
“Yeah, like with your mouth!” Hongbin looked expectantly at Leo.
The little Sandman had to laugh, this caused Hongbin to giggle. The laughter of Sandmen was like their speech in thought speech so for the child it was a new experience hearing such melodic laughter in his head.

“That tickles, Leo!” He squealed at the laughter, causing the other one to laugh even harder. Hongbin was in tears, it was the funniest experience, like having someone laugh in your head but in a beautiful way almost like a wind chime.

After the laughter had died down and Hongbin able to catch his breath he asked, “So, have you tried talking?”
Leo shook his head; it had never occurred to him, thought speech was working, so no need to open his mouth.
We prefer not to, all the Sandmen preach how loud Humans are, that is why we thought speak. It isn’t so loud.

Hongbin pouted, “But I’m not loud… and anyway I’ll be the only one to hear it!”
The child bounced happily up and down on his bed.

The little Sandman was lost, but Hongbin I don’t know how to!

“Well it is easy, open your mouth and say something!” Leo raised an eyebrow at the child.
I have never used my mouth to talk, how on earth do I know how to say something?

Hongbin’s face fell a bit, “Well, I didn’t really think of that…” the two pouted.

Maybe we just aren’t meant to talk… Leo thought.

“No, give me until next time then I will have a strategy!” the determination shone in the child’s eye.

Leo couldn’t argue with Hongbin once his mind was made up.

 

The following night, Leo had some trouble with an older Sandman and couldn’t find out what the child had come up with.
But it was exciting the thought of speaking, just how to accomplish it was the problem.
The next night things he didn’t get a chance either. Ravi had come before he reached Hongbin’s room to check up on the young Sandman.

How have you been, Leo? The older Sandman greeted him.

Good good, how about you?

Here too, say, rumor has it you’ve been doing really well lately; Minho says you smile way more than earlier. That scary Sandman has a heart even if it is hard to believe. Ravi smiled, told you it would get better. They do however mention you take really long on your rounds. 
Leo froze, he took so long sometimes because of Hongbin, had he been caught?
Don't worry, taking longer just means you must be doing your job properly!

The two Sandmen spent the evening together, Ravi giving Leo tips and telling him about the difficulties of the teenagers. Leo felt sorry for the other, it sounded hard.
It was now three years since he started, another seven and he’d move on to them. He was thankful that Ravi was giving him tips.

A week later the opportunity arose where Leo could visit Hongbin again.

Almost tripping on the windowsill the little Sandman landed in the arms of the Human Child waiting for him.
“Knew you’d come today!” Hongbin grinned happily as the two of them ducked into their little fort.

“Okay, so my mum helps children speak and since you’re only three you count as a baby!”
Leo had to smile, so it had been three years since they knew each other

Years passed faster for the Sandmen.

“So look at me, look at my lips!” The determined Child started forming words with his lips, “Ma!” Leo blinked, ma?

“Nono, not like this, use your mouth! My mum says that for babies to speak they have to start with simple syllables like ‘Ma’ or ‘Da’! Try it!”
The little Sandman raised an eyebrow but the insisting gaze of the other made him settle down and carefully pull his lips to form an ‘M’.

M.

“No, wait, well your lips look right now you just need to go ‘Ma’!” Hongbin could hardly sit still he was so excited.
This is hard, Leo thought as he moved his lips but no sound came from them.

Hongbin faltered, his mum had told him everything, and this was how to do it. Why wasn’t it working?
“Maybe just try a bit more, it will work someday!”
Hongbin, I really think we aren’t meant to talk… Leo looked sadly as the child’s face fell.

“I won’t accept this. You will talk! Swear to me that you will try!” there was the Hongbin he knew, the little Sandman smiled as he pinkie promised with Hongbin that he’d try.

Why not? It wouldn’t do any harm.

After that every night Hongbin would try get Leo to talk, next to their usual play sessions.
Hongbin managed to get Leo to draw and the little Sandman found pleasure in coloring with all the colors available.
And every night, as Leo flew from and to the cloud he tried speaking.

However, as it with Sandmen, time flew by so fast.

And before he knew it Hongbin was 12.

Five years, five years games, five years stories and adventure.
Leo knew that when Hongbin turned 13 he’d be a teenager and not in his care anymore.


He still had to do his duty with the children of Seoul for another five years.
The little Sandman pushed that thought out of his mind.
He would deal with it when the time comes.

It was probably better.
What they were doing was dangerous and every evening Leo risked getting caught and getting Hongbin in trouble.
Maybe if Hongbin was no longer in Leo’s care he’d be safer and taken care of properly.



Since the start of their speech sessions, Leo had been able to produce some sounds. Hongbin would jump in joy and hop around when this happened.
It was like a little victory for him.

Little did Leo tell him, he had been practicing in secret, able to almost produce sentences.


One night Leo came to visit Hongbin, the sinking feeling in his stomach reminded him that this little Child was going to leave his care.
He dreaded it.
But for exactly that Child he put on a brave face.
“Leo, it’s my birthday tomorrow!” The little one smiled, Leo could only mirror his emotions.

Right, birthdays. Sandmen never celebrated birthdays.
“You know in all these years we’ve known each other you never showed up for anyone of my parties!”
Well, you did go away for one, the other time there was a distraction, Leo didn’t mention another Nightmare attack, and the other times there were too many older Sandmen around.
The human Child stuck out its tongue, “Excuses, at least stay longer with me tonight!

Pay back for all the missed birthday parties!”


Leo couldn’t argue with that, it was the least he could do.
There was a tug of guilt deep in him,

he should tell him- No, that would cause too much pain. He wouldn’t rob this Child of its laughter.

They played with the dinosaurs and as the night grew, Hongbin grew sleepy.
“Leo, do stay tonight,” he said softly.
But I am staying.

“No, stay stay, like let’s sleep together, there are no clouds in the sky currently so it’ll take you a while to get some sleep. Do stay!”
Leo tilted his head, Hongbin had a point. The clouds had mostly left Seoul and he could only sense one far away.
I suppose I could, Leo smiled, even though it failed to reach his eyes.
“Yay!” Hongbin tackle hugged the Sandman and crawled out of the fort.
“Come here, you can sleep where Mr. Lion usually sleeps!” The Child put the lion away, which lay in his bed, and jumped in.
Only this one time, Leo thought before sticking out his tongue and jumping after him.
Immediately Hongbin turned and wrapped his arms around the little Sandman pulling him close. Leo smiled; it was so warm and soft.
Not as soft as a cloud, but far more comforting.

But if this was going to be the last night, he better show Hongbin what he had been practising, this was his last chance!
Now or never!


“Good night, Hongbin…”

the little Sandman said.


It was soft and sounded like it had been sung but the human Child knew exactly what he had heard.
“YA LEO! YOU SAID- YOU SPOKE-" Yes I did but now you’re being too loud, shush or I’m going!  Even though he looked stern the little Sandman couldn’t stop smiling, Hongbin’s laughter was contagious.

“Thank you, Leo!” the human Child said before closing his eyes.
Thank you, Hongbin, Leo thought as he watched the human breathe steadily.
This was it.
Five years, fun and games.
Adventures, speech, drawings.

Friendship and now a place to sleep.
Thank you, Hongbin.
That night the little Sandman gave Hongbin that night the sweetest of dreams; it was a dream of their adventures, of their battles and their games.
This was it.

It was time. Five years, fun and games.

Coming to an end.

The little Sandman stayed by Hongbin’s side as he slept. Until the first rays of suns stared to show.

 

As Leo carefully got up to leave, he felt something damp on his face. As he put his hand up, he realized it was water.


But it wasn’t raining.

Wait, he had seen this before,

when children had nightmares they did this.

What was it called?

Crying?
He was crying... That was absurd, never in his life had he heard of a Sandman crying!


This was ridiculous; he scrubbed his face and flew out the window.
 


Behave and take care of yourself.

 

 

 

I will miss you, my dear Human.