Some Cookies

The Lonely Sandman

The next night, Leo took extra care on his round. His heart beating nervously as he reached the house of a certain someone.

As he entered the bed however was empty, strange. He tilted his head. Where could he be?

Just at the end of his round in Seoul he entered another boy’s room and saw a too familiar smile, it gave him such a fright the small Sandman flew backwards and clonked into a lamp.
He froze, eye ripped wide in fright.

But neither of the two boys moved. Hongbin was on an inflatable mattress at the foot of the other boy’s bed. And smiling.
His eyes were shut tight and yet wearing a really big smile. Leo after he recovered gently dropped some Sand into both their eyes.

However before he bolted out the window he hesitated and knelt down next to Hongbin’s face. The smile had stayed, but there was a soft snoring accompanying it.

Leo couldn’t prevent a smile smile creep onto his own face.

What was with this kid?

The return to the cloud was uneventful, but Minho, who was standing at the entrance, was yelling out warnings about a storm brewing.

Oh no, Leo thought, no peaceful sleep. If there was a storm the cloud got damp and was thrown around, not very comfortable.

As he had guessed the storm was very rough and he had trouble sleeping. Zelo however was on the same cloud and they lay close to keep each other company.

 

The next night, Leo got up and noticed: Zelo was still asleep and the cloud was still rocking and slightly wet.

After quickly waking the other young Sandman they both headed to the door.

They saw the other elder Sandman gather Energy and create a hood out of their clothes, puzzled they looked at each other. How did they do that?

Zelo scrunched his face up and Leo could see him try focus his Energy on making a hood. It didn’t work. Also as Leo tried, nothing.

Ravi passed them by and shot them a sad look, You are too young to be able to produce a hood, you might get a bit wet tonight…
The younger Sandmen couldn’t believe their luck. Silently they shuffled to the exit.
It was pouring.

Like from buckets.

Zelo waved a small goodbye to Leo as he dove out of the cloud. The rain was relentless.
Leo had trouble keeping his eyes open.

As he finally managed open them he was able to dodge a building he had been close to crashing into.

The rain made his job even harder.

Flying with a tsunami coming down on him. Keeping to the shadows. Not being seen.

Was awfully hard.

Leo almost felt like giving up.

Then he tumbled into his next room, wait wasn’t this Hongbin’s room?

He was panting and far too exhausted to move.  The child should not have heard him.

As he turned his head to scan the room, he took in the unmoving form on the bed and then his eyes landed on something he did not expect.

There was a towel and some cookies on the floor just below the window.

That is an odd place to put that, Leo thought, before he crawled over to examine it closer.

There was a note, Leo touched the letters. Sandmen could read like this.

“Dear Sandman Leo,

 it was raining the whole day and they said it wouldn’t stop at night so here is a towel and some cookies for you to rest and eat. I want to see you again~
Signed Binnie~”

Leo let his fingers run across the letters few more times, his heart fluttering every time he read it. Carefully he then folded it and put it in his pocket.

Then he took the towel, being so small it was really big and really fluffy for him. It was perfect.

The drenched Sandman whipped himself down and dried his hair. Then still wrapped in the warm towel he started on the cookies.

They were really yummy.

He looked at the child on the bed, still wearing that big smile.

After eating almost all the cookies, Leo got up and made sure to fold the towel neatly. Then he turned to the bed, hopped on and placed a finger on Hongbin’s forehead.
The cookies were really yummy. Thank you.

As Leo left out the window, he swore the smile on the boy grew even larger then it already had been.