Dinosaurs

The Lonely Sandman

Leo had found a new joy. For every time he was scolded or pushed or shoved. He made it his task to give the children of Seoul bigger and happier dreams. But the real joy was finding that brilliant smile and giving him the biggest of them all.
By doing this life had gotten easier. Now producing the dreams had become routine and Leo had gotten to know the children and which dreams were for which.
Even Minho had once allowed himself a: Good job, youngling.

Even though just once.

With the practice he had gotten stronger. It was easier to produce Sand and to his delight, he discovered he could produce a hood when it rained. 

Though a month after the cookie incident Leo had found Hongbin staying awake longer and longer. Being the youngling he was, he had repeatedly had to call the older Sandmen to help him. In the end Ravi and Jessica had been given the task to teach Leo in "Rowdy" Child sleep. 


He had flown with them on their duty, the young adults of Seoul, and watched how they dealt with the people who tried staying up late. 
After a few times watching they asked him to do it.

It was basically, like a little ninja, sneaking into the room. Using Sand and a cloak to hide even better, the Sandmen would prepare a handful of Sand and as soon as they got to the awake Human, blow it gently in their direction. This would daze them and give the Sandmen the chance to come and pat the head of the Human once. All this had to be done without being seen and within 5 minutes. 

His first test was a 21 year old lady who was slightly intoxicated and singing into her comb. Carefully, the little Sandman snuck in and made a veil of Sand to cover him. Thankfully the lady was so busy serenading her bedside table that Leo could get within a meter of her before blowing his Sand in her direction. 
The singing for slurry and the lady's eyes began to droop. 
As she began to sway the young Sandman jumped at tapped her head with the rest of his Sand. She was out like a light. 
Well done, Ravi thought as Leo returned to the window. 

Could have been faster, Jessica added. Ravi rolled his eyes. Now, Leo, you will do a few more under our watch before doing this on your own. But for your age you are pretty good at this.
So the following nights the little Sandman joined Ravi on Knock Out Errands as well as the children of Seoul. 
Within two weeks he was given green light to do it on his own. 

Stepping out of the cloud on his first night with permission to do his own rowdy children, he felt happy. No Nagging in the back of his ear. No need to call the elders. No need for scolding or sour moods. 
However getting closer to Seoul, he did feel a bit nervous. The children were not to see him. 
If one of the elders were watching just in case and someone saw him. He'd be dead ... or turned into a Nightmare. 

Shaking himself he got started with his first children. The sky was clear that night, stars shone and the moon had come out to greet him. 
The moon had a soothing effect on Sandmen and many believe it helped their Sand.

This is it, Leo thought as he neared the one fate full room. Hongbin. Was he still up?
Carefully the young one put a veil on himself and snuck in. The room was still. 
But the bed was empty. 
Where was he? Leo saw the toys and the bed and then his eyes wondered to the desk. He blinked.

As he got closer he saw on the desk was a hand written note "Dear cookie monster, one day I'll see you again!" 
Wait... cookie monster?

"Are you there?" a whisper came. Leo turned around shocked. But... where did the whisper come from?
The voice was coming from under the desk! 
Leo flew back a bit and saw with blankets and pillows a huge fort built under the desk. 
He had barely time to register a bright smile as something shot out and tackled him to the ground. 
What on earth?!
"LEooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!" there were two arms around him and someone was cuddling him tight. 
What was this feeling? It was so soft and so close. He had never been so close to any living creature, save the Nightmare the overnight and that was definitely an experience he didn't want to repeat. 
This however was wonderful. He couldn't resist dropping his Sand and hugging the child back. 
"Oh Leo I knew it was you, your hair. This beautiful hair of yours!" Hongbin sat back and touched Leo's hair in awe. 
My hair? Leo tilted his hair confused. 

"Yes silly! All the other Sandmen have awful hair, reds and oranges but yours, yours is like the night sky and so sparkly. As I saw it I knew it was you!" Hongbin beamed. 
But but you shouldn't be able to see me? I have Sand up! 

"Well it was difficult at first, the first time I saw you, I saw you clear as day but now I can only see you as a shadow.... it is difficult to focus on you. But your hair I will recognize a mile away!" Hongbin looked extremely proud of himself although his darting eyes suggested that he was really having difficulty focusing in on Leo. 
I'm supposed to put you to sleep, Hongbin. Do you have any idea how late it is?!
"But Leo, it has been a month and two weeks and 12 Hours since we last had contact and even longer since I last saw you! Do stay a while.... look I even made a fort so no one else will see us!" Pointing at his makeshift castle Hongbin pouted. 

The Sandman blinked. He had built that for him? I wonder what it looks like inside.

"Go in and have a look!" a huge smile made Leo realize he had just thought out loud. 
Fine. I give up. Leo dropped his Sand veil, which immediately made Hongbin smile even brighter. 
The child held the door blanket open and let the small Sandman in before following him. 
It was very cozy under the desk; there was a torch and a book next to a pile of pillows. 
By the way, why cookie monster? Hongbin tilted his head. On the note it says cookie monster.

"Well, you mentioned that it was kind of forbidden to have contact with me, and could hardly write Leo on it. And since you enjoyed the cookies so much. Cookie monster it was. But it did result in an awful lot of cookie monster dreams. Did you give them to me?"
Leo shook his head; because you were staying up late and not going to sleep I couldn't come for a while.
Hongbin's smile dropped, "But ... but I thought if I stayed up ... I'd get to see you!!" Big tears weld up inside the big eyes. 
This was the first time seeing the usually smiling Hongbin in this state.
It isn't your fault! I'm still young and couldn't do it! 

Please don't cry!

How were you supposed to know?!
 Leo panicked and wrapped his arms around the child. There there, the little Sandman patted his head. 

After a few sniffs Hongbin took a deep breath and continued, "Well then tell those Sandmen the dreams were rotten, who wants for a month just dreams of a blue furry monster?!" 
A whole month? You put that note out a whole month?

The human nodded. But why?

"So I could see you again!" But we are not meant to meet!

"I don't care! The first time I saw you, you were scared and I wanted to help. Now you owe me! For the cookies and for those stupid cookie monster dreams!" the little Sandman thought to argue but the child had such a determined look in his eyes he could only huff in response. 

What can I do to make it up to you? 
"I thought you'd never ask!" Hongbin darted out of the fort and Leo heard rustling and a soft thud. As Hongbin appeared once again in the little cave he had bought along some toys: Dinosaurs. Plastic dinosaurs. 
"Play with me!"
The Sandman blinked, speechless. This is what he had to do? 
This? He stared at the dinosaur offered to him. 
Hesitantly, he reached out. All his Sandman instinct telling him not to. To knock Hongbin out and get back to the cloud. 
However, something even deeper gave him the courage to reach out and take the toy. 
And off they were: T- Rex and Triceratops battling over the land. 
Before long even the little Sandman was tired and after having to swear to Hongbin to return the next night, he distributed his Sand and left. 
In the cloud, a few of the elders gave him strange looks. 
Why does he look so happy?
What is wrong with him?
Why does he smell so human?

Leo retreated into his corner still smiling over the adventures they had had. It had been amazing. 
As his eyes closed he wondered what adventure they would go on tomorrow. 

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the late update, due to personal and school reasons really had problems. Hope you forgive me and enjoy this new chapter. Going to try and update more in the future!!